• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Personal Rememberence Of Altered Timelines

@ Hook Innsmouth: interesting story, i know its going back a few years so this is prob a long shot but i don't suppose you can recall the newsreader or correspondent?

on the Multiple Deaths Thing : Walter Cronkite! I swear i vaguely remember his Death before about 1998 and the gushing tributes that followed! maybe even more than once!, he's not even that famous over here, so to me it seems kinda of a wierd one to have embedded its self in my consciousness

We had a thread on this: 'People You Thought Were Dead'. I think I started it, but I may be wrong about that. ;)

I have heard so many times that a celebrity has died, and thought, hang on, didn't he die years ago when I was at college/working at X job/having X baby...
So I do seem to have a time-reference for the event which I mistakenly remember.

And here it is.

I did start it - I like the word 'peeps'. ;) It must have changed 'ownership' in one of the FTMB upheavals.

As a small child of about 6 I used to have a large toy turtle. It was a standered type which, when you pull it behind you with a string, the legs would move (it was on wheels) simulating walking, the mouth opened and closed, and the little yellow hat it wore would bob up and down. I've since seen other toys that do about the same thing.

I used to tow this thing with me everywhere. It was like a friend. If I went into the other room I naturally took it with me. As time went on, I lost track of it, and although I didn't really miss it, I'd sometimes think about it whenever I'd RUMMAGE THROUGH MY TOYBOX AND PULL OUT HIS LITTLE, YELLOW HAT.

I had the hat for years afterwards; one of those things that you just never got rid of even though it had no purpose.

The thing is, my mom, indeed my uncle and grandmother who were living with us at the time, do not remember this toy. Not that they don't remember, but they swear I never had anything like it, ever.

Though I have vivid memories of this toy, they have none. My mom never bought it for me, they never saw me play with it, etc.

I've wondered if they, through accident, broke it and hid it, swearing I'd never had it, but I know they would have come clean by now.

MercuryCrest said:
...whenever I'd RUMMAGE THROUGH MY TOYBOX AND PULL OUT HIS LITTLE, YELLOW HAT....

You had the hat, so you know something like that toy did exist; otherwise, what did the hat belong to?

I know they would have come clean by now.

Maybe not. Took decades to find out where my phonograph player went (to a cousin). Sometimes our relatives don't want to confess to doing something they know wasn't quite the right thing to do.

Well, you'd have to know them. It wasn't so much a denial of existence, rather, it was like they fundamentally didn't know what I was talking about. You shoulda seen the look on my mom's face when I asked her about it after a couple years. She really thought I was making something up.

MercuryCrest said:
Well, you'd have to know them. It wasn't so much a denial of existence, rather, it was like they fundamentally didn't know what I was talking about.

Did you show her the hat?

escargot1 said:
We had a thread on this: 'People You Thought Were Dead'. I think I started it, but I may be wrong about that. ;)

I have heard so many times that a celebrity has died, and thought, hang on, didn't he die years ago when I was at college/working at X job/having X baby...
So I do seem to have a time-reference for the event which I mistakenly remember.

I'd put this whole phenomenon down to the fact that there are a whole lot of celebrities and it is sometimes hard to keep the difference between them straight. So if one fairly obscure celeb dies, it is easy enough to confuse him with another due to the imperfect human brain. As well as this, sometimes it is difficult to remember whether something happened in a dream or real life.

The writer/broadcaster Katharine Whitehorn. Could've sworn she was dead. Heard her on t'wireless yesterday, definitely alive.

ElishevaBarsabe said:
Did you show her the hat?

Yes. Up until about 5 years ago I still had it. She still doesn't know where I got it from.

I have loads and loads of these; seeing a film on DVD with someone then them having absolutely no recollection of them seeing it, conversations I know I have had with people who swear blind I haven't...I particularly remember one incident which was brought to mind by MercuryCrest's story of going to visit my Great Aunt and Great Uncleas a kid and being given a doll in a bride's dress, with coppery coloured curly hair. It was around Christmas and it is my birthday then too. I distictly remember saying that I would call her Rachel and my uncle telling me 'That's a Yid's name'. Now, I apologise for any offense that may cause, but it was in the early seventies and my uncle was around 50 or so then and although he wasn't racist as such, back then it wasn't so fowned upon to use language like that. The point I am making is that I was about 5 years old and I remember it very clearly and I really would have had no knowledge back then that Rachel was a popular Jewish name.
Anyway. I never saw the doll again and everyone (I was with my Aunt and Uncle and cousins) I asked in the years after that denied all knowledge of me having that doll.

I suppose there are lots of explanations such as the doll wasn't really for me, I just found it and they let me think it was for me, then surrepticiously took it away from me, or that I forgot it and they never bothered to give it to me, but I distinctly remember the memory (rather than remembereing the event if you see what I mean) of my dad putting the doll in the loft for me, but it never came back down. I am an only child and it is very strange that I never saw it again. My parents usually explained when I coudn't keep something rather than denying all knowledge! Very odd.

The main thing is that memory is very unreliable. as memory researchers constantly discover.

If you 'remember' turning the tap off when you left it on, do you count this as bad memory, or one fo those 'altered timelines'?

I visited Bristol recently and found they'd put a large Victorian fountain in a place where (I could have sworn) there was nothing before. The fountain had been there at least a century...memory playing tricks, I'd say.

However, without recording your entire life on video it's hard to see how any of these things could be checked...

MrRING said:
....on a very minor atomic level, the world is contantly flipping between alternate versions of itself, and that these casual slips would never get noticed unless there was somebody whose life was changed and you know about it (i.e. a celebrity dying one year, or many years earlier than they should).

I like your theory and think that it's probably really close to the mark, at least as pertains to those minor and almost throw-away "glitches" many of us seem to experience nearly every other day.

But how does a "very minor atomic level" disfunction (*) create something as major as the media mis-reporting of the death of a celebrity?

(*) Perhaps "parafunction" might be a better word.

One of the most interesting accounts I've ever read of this sort of thing was written by an Australian woman who'd had the same framed print on her bedroom wall from her earliest childhood until she was in college.

The print was a cheerful scene featuring a turtle pulling a raft down a placid stream. The raft was filled with bunnies, birds and other small animals who were obviously the tutle's friends and playmates.

One day during her college years the print changed.

The only creature in the picture was the turtle, who was now the sole occupant of the raft as it drifted down the stream. There were no other animals at all!

But when she showed the print to her family, they all assured her that the print had ALWAYS been only the turtle alone on the raft.

This "dead again" thing doesn't seem to work in reverse.

That is, it's common to find someone alive who we "know" is dead.

But it seems decidedly less common to discover that somebody's been dead for years who we saw interviewed on a live news program just last week.

Hook Innsmouth~ said:
Anyway, I left the interview and picked up a ride home to london with people from Sheffield. I was talking to them about it, and they'd heard nothing either. we put the radio on. no follow up story. nothing. got back to london, I scoured the papers, the news channels. nothing. It was only then that it hit me that maybe, just maybe nobody else did hear it...it must have been my addled imagination. but the thing is I DID hear it. There was an entire news item on it, which I sat and listened to whilst waiting for my interview. I have ever since that day searched and searched for the item in question, cross referencing sightings etc etc...but nothing. There's not even any record of it having been a hoax news item.

There is just a chance that this was some sort of test done with a fake radio broadcast, on a tape, piped through to the 30 people sitting in a room, thinking job interview related thoughts. Just to see who heard it, and who didnt ?

I have one 'memory' that for years I was convinced was true. My dad is a keen gardener and I remember him digging out a bit of ground for a new shed. The thing is that in this memory I see him pulling Roman amphora, both whole and shards, out if the ground and putting them in the bin. Now I know the first bit was true, but where the hell did the last bit come from? Now this memory comes from when I was about 3 or 4 and at the time I had no idea what an ampora was or what one looked like, yet I have a memory of my father pulling them out of the ground.

Does your Dad remember pulling anything out of the ground on this occasion? Might it have been a cheap, broken, plastic or plaster imitation amphora?

I'm not even sure if this is the right thread, but i remember something that doesn't make sense and i have my dad as a witness!

first of all i'd like to apologise for the blatant uk-centric nature of this post
i'll happily explain anything that people outside the UK don't understand

earlier this year - yes i know thats vague i should have made a note!

My and my Dad always listen to radio 4 long wave as we set the table for lunch, at midday Radio 4 long wave has a short news bulletin then the fishing forecast, now i've grown up with it and i know all the places mentioned "dogger, fisher, german bight, humber bailey, rockall, finistere etc etc"
this is a forecast for uk waters only

but on this day the female announcer (corrie corfield IIRC) said: "danube - low 1000"

it was in the middle of the list of places as if it was normal,
then she just carried on with the usual places , i asked my dad and he'd heard it

the next day it was business as usual with no surprising place names

and its never happened again.

so i suppose the first question i need to ask is if anyone else heard it?

i tried to think of wierd explanations like maybe it was a coded "go!" signal for a crack SAS snatch team to snatch a serbian war criminal near the danube or something! i know its a silly idea but i'm really baffled,

i was very close to making a note of it and posting about it on radio forums but i never did

TimBucknall said:
but on this day the female announcer (corrie corfield IIRC) said: "danube - low 1000"

Or, maybe, someone from her office was on holiday there and she knew that.

One with a witness

My husband and I were job-sharing for awhile on a data-entry task. After a few months, my husband went on to fulltime employment in a different office, but I stayed on where I was.

One afternoon, a proofreader came to me and told me that I'd made a mistake: in a special situation, it was mandatory to check off one of the data fields. I'd been doing that job for a year by then, and I had seen the situation many times, but no one had ever mentioned checking that data field. In fact, I had gained enough experience to know that checking that data field made no sense.

After work, I asked my husband whether he remembered the mandatory data field. He said, no, we never used that data field.

All data-entry in this office is proofread by two persons, both of whom now said that the mandatory data field had always been there.

:?:

TimBucknall said:
i tried to think of wierd explanations like maybe it was a coded "go!" signal for a crack SAS snatch team to snatch a serbian war criminal near the danube or something! i know its a silly idea but i'm really baffled,

i was very close to making a note of it and posting about it on radio forums but i never did

Maybe you should! Has anyone ever heard any non-UK places mentioned in the forecast? The Danube seems a bit far for Radio 4 to reach, mind you.

You could always e-mail someone at Radio 4 and ask.

gncxx said:
Has anyone ever heard any non-UK places mentioned in the forecast? The Danube seems a bit far for Radio 4 to reach, mind you.
Well, many of the places mentioned are non-UK - Iceland, Biscay, Shannon, German Bight, etc. (These are in fact Shipping Forecast areas.)

Places even further afield are usually only mentioned in the Synopsis, which describes the general weather pattern over a large area. Sometimes unlikely places are mentioned, like Denmark Strait (which is nowhere near Denmark!), but in general the forecast deliberately uses a limited vocabulary.

But I must admit I've never heard Danube mentioned.

If "danube - low 1000" was mentioned like that, it would have been in the Synopsis, meaning that a low of 1000 mb was centred over the Danube region.

Right, thanks. Is there any name in the forecast that could be mistaken for the word "Danube"? (It's not something I make a habit of listening to).

When I was very young my family would often vacataion with another family into the Cascade Mountains. (Oregon, USA)
They would joint-rent a cabin and we would do activities such as skiing, hiking, etc.
The other family had children of the same age as my sister and I and I was good friends with the oldest daughter because we were the same age. When we were in Jr High, about 13, we were reminiscing about our family vacations when we were younger, and had the same memory of going to a cabin that had alcove beds... the kind behind doors that are in the wall. I remember them distinctly because they reminded me of the beds in the Gnome Book. She remembered them as well. There was also no running water in this cabin and you used a hand pump to fill the sink, which was amazing for children of the 80's. We both remembered other small details and experiences about this same trip. A major detail is the two of us locking ourselves outside, alone, and how scared we were, and how relieved we were when our parents opened the door. We were probably 6 or 7 years old when we went to that cabin.

We asked our parents about this cabin and told them what fun we had when we went there, because they were planning another vacation and asked us where we wanted to go (the beach or the mountains) and we told them we wanted to go back to that cabin again. None of them remembered the cabin, even after we described details such as the bed and the hand pump. They said we never stayed in a cabin that had a hand pump or one with alcove beds, and it doesnt seem as though we're combining memories of multiple trips into one "imagination cabin" either.

None of them remember us locking ourselves outside either.. however that can be explained as an easily forgettable experience on an adults part since what is minutes to a grown-up can be an eternity for a child.

I'd still like to go back to that cabin, and Sarah and I both still recall it vividly.

I know that this sort of thing has happened to me multiple times, although I can only think of one example off the top of my head:

A local bank has a large bronze statue of an eagle in front of it. The statue was installed when I was in grade 3, and (as I remembered it) had the eagle perched on something, with it's wings majesticly outstreched, looking to the left/right (my memory is kind of hazy on that part). This bank was on the route of the bus that I took to elementary school, so I saw the statue pretty much every day until I changed to middle school in grade 6. After that, I didn't have occasion to go to that part of town, until about two years ago, but when I did I was surprised by the fact that the bank had a different statue in front of it: An perched eagle with it's wings folded back and looking straight ahead. Of course, inqueries yielded the usual "It's always been like that, etc, etc."

YongaryII said:
...The statue was installed when I was in grade 3, and (as I remembered it) had the eagle perched on something, with it's wings majesticly outstreched, ...I was surprised by the fact that the bank had a different statue in front of it: An perched eagle with it's wings folded back and looking straight ahead.

I wonder whether these instances have always happened but are being more noticed now that we can communicate so easily with each other, and now that there is a lot more to notice!

Anconite said:
When I was very young my family would often vacataion with another family into the Cascade Mountains. (Oregon, USA)
They would joint-rent a cabin and we would do activities such as skiing, hiking, etc.
The other family had children of the same age as my sister and I and I was good friends with the oldest daughter because we were the same age. When we were in Jr High, about 13, we were reminiscing about our family vacations when we were younger, and had the same memory of going to a cabin that had alcove beds... the kind behind doors that are in the wall. I remember them distinctly because they reminded me of the beds in the Gnome Book. She remembered them as well. There was also no running water in this cabin and you used a hand pump to fill the sink, which was amazing for children of the 80's. We both remembered other small details and experiences about this same trip. A major detail is the two of us locking ourselves outside, alone, and how scared we were, and how relieved we were when our parents opened the door. We were probably 6 or 7 years old when we went to that cabin.

We asked our parents about this cabin and told them what fun we had when we went there, because they were planning another vacation and asked us where we wanted to go (the beach or the mountains) and we told them we wanted to go back to that cabin again. None of them remembered the cabin, even after we described details such as the bed and the hand pump. They said we never stayed in a cabin that had a hand pump or one with alcove beds, and it doesnt seem as though we're combining memories of multiple trips into one "imagination cabin" either.

None of them remember us locking ourselves outside either.. however that can be explained as an easily forgettable experience on an adults part since what is minutes to a grown-up can be an eternity for a child.

I'd still like to go back to that cabin, and Sarah and I both still recall it vividly.

I just stumbled across this and found it very interesting - if you were to recount this to someone with a belief in reincarnation, I am sure they would suggest this is a joint memory of when you and your friend were perhaps siblings in a previous life, and lived in that cabin with the hand pump and the alcove beds. As you both share similar memories of the place your minds have projected the memory onto family vacations you must have taken together as young children.

Just a thought ;)

ElishevaBarsabe said:
YongaryII said:
...The statue was installed when I was in grade 3, and (as I remembered it) had the eagle perched on something, with it's wings majesticly outstreched, ...I was surprised by the fact that the bank had a different statue in front of it: An perched eagle with it's wings folded back and looking straight ahead.

I wonder whether these instances have always happened but are being more noticed now that we can communicate so easily with each other, and now that there is a lot more to notice!

I like the idea. This could be true for a lot of phenomena. That's why I think it is so important to keep every post on this forum, they are a unique collection of people from around the world. Something that was never possible before the internet.

Back