• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kellas Cats

A

Anonymous

Shuker (Mystery Cats) discusses the Kellas Cats origin at length. In the absence of DNA evidence he seems to favour a domestic x wildcat cross which has adapted for a running strategy of predation.

The Kellas cats are also too small (3'6" long including tail for the largest specimen) to be convincingly mistaken for puma size cats.

I've seen domestic cats with one or more of the Kellas cats' characteristics, so would tend to find Shuker's argument plausible.

(Transplanted from the Alien Big Cats thread)

Re: Scottish Lynx
Mark Fraser said:
Three lynx were reported to be have been shot or trapped near Inverness as far back as 1926, although it may have been a journalistic hoax.

I remember a televised account from around a decade or so ago about a cat that had been shot in the Highlands, and proved to be a cross between a Scottish Wild Cat and a domestic moggie. Not quite the same thing, but sufficiently large to cause witnesses to mistake it for its bigger cousins perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hermes said:
I remember a televised account from around a decade or so ago about a cat that had been shot in the Highlands, and proved to be a cross between a Scottish Wild Cat and a domestic moggie. Not quite the same thing, but sufficiently large to cause witnesses to mistake it for its bigger cousins perhaps?

The animal you refer to is known as Kellas cat after where the first specimen was shot, although there have been tales in Scottish folklore of such a cat going back for centuries.

You can find out more at scottishwildcats.co.uk/Scottish wildcat hybridisation.htm
Link is obsolete; it now re-directs to:
https://www.wildcathaven.com/scottish-wildcat/

There have also been rumours of a larger Kellas cat known as a King Kellas which has been sighted in the north of Scotland:miaow:

(Copied from the Alien Big Cats thread)

... Scottish wildcats might come in black. Wasn't the big stuffed male "Kellas cat" (pictured in the newest FT) identified as a rare melanistic wild cat? I know that was put forward as a theory, I can't remember if it was confirmed or not. I've got Di Francis' book on the Kellas cats, somewhere, in a box... the other Kellas cats are generally thought to have been black domestic/wild cat hybrids, though they all have some interesting features in common (long white guard hairs in the coat, long legs, slim frame), and all seem to be slightly larger than a normal wild cat.

Well, thanx to FT167 we have a fairly comprehensive list of all the ABC's caught or killed or found dead since 1981

Eliminating those with collars(obviously pets)
we have
3 leopard cats, a spotted cat a little bigger than a domestic cat
3 jungle cats a lynx-like cat 3x domestic size,
1 dead lioness in a lake (?dumped?)
2 puma
2 lynx
1 black panther cub (found 80 miles from Colchester Zoo, where one had been stolen the day before)

and 9 Kellas cats...
it seems obvious that there is a breeding population of Kellas cats, but not of the other species ...

the photos in FT167 all seem to me to be domestic cats, mostly black.
it seems likely that there are no black ABCs unless you count the Kellas breeding population.
But I could be wrong.

Reading your site provoked an old memory from when I was living on the Ardnamurchan Peninsula, Argyll when I was a child,aged about seven or eight.

We lived at the Ben View Hotel, which is a mile outside of the village of Strontian. I was riding my bicycle up the single track road towards the hotel, within at least 100 metres of the hotels grounds. I suddenly heard a noise towards my left ,and behind the fence was possibly a kellas cat, and it hissed and snarled at me.

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/kellas.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Is this a pet Kellas cat?

cryptozoology.com/gallery/di ... hp?id=2536
Link is dead. Here is the complete content of the MIA webpage ...

107177675.jpg

Vampire Cat
Posted by McHaggis, [email protected], on May 2, 2005

I thought I'd post a picture of my cat Tommie. He was born to a ferral cat in our back yard in Kintyre, Scotland about 10 years ago and decided to stay around. He's very tame, but his large bottom incisors stick out over his lips, giving him his vampiric appearance.

It is possible because he was born from a ferral cat his parentage could include Scottish Wild Cat or even the rare Kellas Cat. Possible sightings have been seen of both species, in the area.

SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/2005050...ology.com/gallery/display_picture.php?id=2536

The Kellas cat is a mooted new sub-species of Scottish wildcat: see here for a good precis.
Named after the village of Kellas, South of Elgin, Morayshire, the 'Kellas cats' achieved notoriety in the early to mid 1980s with speculation being placed as to whether a new species or an 'emerging' new species of cat had been discovered in mainland Scotland.

Embedded link is dead. See later post for the MIA webpage's full text and photo.

That looks like Escargot's moggy:D

I don't know how someone could louse up taking a picture of their own kitty this badly, it's so blurred and overexposed you can't actually work out what's where and how much is incisor or flash!

it's not ~that~ unusual for a moggy to sit there with their incisors poking out like fangs once in a while (not as funny as the 'stuck tongue' mind). Without seeing a better picture, there's not much else to say about this...

there was a picture of a blue persian cat with long lower incisors in a issue of ft a while back (twas reckoned its a throwback as they used to look like that)

Kellas cats are supposed to be (one particular phenotype resulting from) Scottish Wildcat/Siamese-type domestic cat hybridisation, IIRC. So the offspring of a feral cat with some of the right domestic cat genes and a Scottish wildcat could conceivably look like a Kellas cat...

Doesn't say how big the cat is...

Di Francis wrote a book called "My Kellas cats" about her experience keeping them. Their status is disputed - I think the boffins say hybrid, she insists it's a separate wild strain. They're certainly not 'big cats'!

My vet says cats can get this 'vampire' look of sticking-out teeth from gum disease.

(Copied from the Alien Big Cats thread. This post is a comment on a possible ABC.)

Standard gauge is 4' 8.5" and this cat appears to be about half that from nose to bum.
Seems about the right size to be a Kellas-type cat (large melanistic domestic x wildcat hybrid) to me.

bigcatsinbritain.org/kellasc ... idence.htm
Link is dead. The MIA webpage (with many photos) can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

The Rabbit Headed and Kellas Specimens
https://web.archive.org/web/20091226034610/http://www.bigcatsinbritain.org/kellascatspicevidence.htm

Zilch5 said:
Fats_Tuesday said:
Standard gauge is 4' 8.5" and this cat appears to be about half that from nose to bum.

Seems about the right size to be a Kellas-type cat (large melanistic domestic x wildcat hybrid) to me. ...

Exactly! Feral cats (at least here in Australia) grow substantially larger than their domestic cousins. While this is big for a normal "moggy" - I see feral ones around the city fringes of that size all the time.

Nothing unusual here.

In the case of the Scottish cats, cross-breeding between the feral mogs and the wildcat subspecies may be producing even more pronounced growth and muscular development effects as a result of hybrid vigour.

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------

KELLAS CAT?

Rab G.P Lewin

Reading your site provoked an old memory from when I was living on the Ardnamurchan Peninsula, Argyll when I was a child,aged about seven or eight.

We lived at the Ben View Hotel, which is a mile outside of the village of Strontian. I was riding my bicycle up the single track road towards the hotel, within at least 100 metres of the hotels grounds. I suddenly heard a noise towards my left ,and behind the fence was possibly a kellas cat, and it hissed and snarled at me.

I was momentarily paralysed with fear as I 'd never seen a cat as large or as aggressive as this before. Needless to say I didn't hang around long enough to find out what it ate in case it had me in mind. The presence of wildcats is known in these areas and were being researched at this period, but in very remote regions due to their timidity, so I believe what I saw was probably a kellas, a cross breed.

Our own Siamese cat and another large Tom disappeared at this time, but whether they got killed by this large feral would be merely speculating.

Rab G.P Lewin
Wellington
New Zealand

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/20030626032429/http://forteantimes.com:80/happened/kellas.shtml

I'm always puzzled that the vast majority (it seems to me) of big cat sightings are of black cats. Now I accept that some and maybe most are misidentifications of large black toms. But the others? given the rarity of melanistic big cats in the wild why the preponderance of black ABC sightings?
AFAIK Kellas cats are black, despite their Scotish wildcat ancestry? Dunno why, nor do I know why they are not heard of much anymore. ...

Mods - not sure if I'm justified in starting a new thread but Kellas cats are mentioned elsewhere but it seems in a different context as a pet, as an identity for a specific sighting etc. Please move if you feel this isn't valid.

My question is as above. In the eighties we had Tomorrow's World featuring the Kellas then the late Di Francis' books and they are mentioned in Karl Shuker's mystery cats re visited. However they don't seem to be being reported anymore. Nor are they being offered as often as I'd expect as explanations for slightly overlarge moggie mis identifications of ABCs.

Have they died out or become so commonplace that no one is interested? If they died out, why? there were IIRC a number of sightings and bodies in the eighties. If they were as suggested a wildcat moggie hybrid why did they stop appearing? Did the hybrid breed true or revert to more normal looking moggies?

Has anyone any more information?

Here is the full text and photo from the MIA 2005 webpage at bigcats.org

Profile by Aron Bowers BVSc MRCVS

Kellas Cats, Scotching the Myth​

Felis silvestris

Tomas Christie Kellas Cat photograph provided by Aron Bowers BVSc MRCVS
KellascatAron.jpg
Much misunderstood and misinterpreted by the local and national press, the Kellas cats have continually been accused of being large feline forms responsible for sheep killings in the rural areas of Scotland. This is NOT so. With an average total head to tail length of 42 inches in mature male specimens, quite clearly they cannot be to blame for adult sheep being attacked and killed, but may possibly account for an occasional young, neonatal, lamb death.

Named after the village of Kellas, South of Elgin, Morayshire, the 'Kellas cats' achieved notoriety in the early to mid 1980s with speculation being placed as to whether a new species or an 'emerging' new species of cat had been discovered in mainland Scotland.

[For a history of Kellas cats, discovery of type specimens, attempted breeding, etc. see Kellas cat History section, later ]

Through snaring and shooting by local gamekeepers in the early 1980s, a series of specimens of the Kellas cats were amassed, largely by amateur naturalist and investigator of the ''big-cat phenomenon'', Di Francis. Her hope initially, on hearing of the first specimens being shot, was that the Kellas cats represented cubs/young of the large black felids being sighted throughout Britain at the time. On examination of genitalia, however, clearly the specimen cats were adult, and as such in no way connected to the large black cats killing livestock throughout Britain.

Morphology

The Kellas cat specimens are certainly very striking in their appearance, being long-legged and gracile in build. Overall the colour is black, with prominent white-coloured guard hairs over the flanks (often described as 'flecked' with white hairs.)
A white area of fur is typically seen at the base of the throat, or on the chest region. Tail variable, sometimes short and stocky, yet in others long and sleek.

[The cats appeared to exhibit behaviour quite unlike that of the Scottish wild cats. The cats have been repeatedly described as hunting in pairs, unlike the solitary nature attributed to wild cats, and are said to be largely cursorial (built for running), rarely being arboreal (tree climbing tendencies - a trait often associated with Scottish wildcats, Felis sylvestris grampia. - 'sylvestris' referring to forest/wood dwelling)]

Whilst at a glance most of the Kellas cats appeared alike, many differences between individuals were noticed with the collection of the initial specimens in the 1980s. Differences in overall size, length of limbs, tail length, number and distribution of white guard hairs, size and distribution of white chest patches, etc led many researchers (professional and amateur alike) to speculate as to the origins of the Kellas cats. Whilst initially speculation pointed towards the cats being a new species (Francis and others), many speculated that hybrids between Scottish wild cats and feral, domestic cats were to blame for the phenomenon, (zoologist Karl Shuker, and others.)
A blood sample taken from a freshly killed specimen in 1985 proved too contaminated for chromosomal/DNA analysis, but a blood sample from a live-captured cat in the Spring of 1986 proved that individual cat to be unequivocally a wildcat-domestic cat hybrid (See Kellas cat History section, later)

Note: as a consequence of high numbers of feral cats in Morayshire, hybridisation of domestic cats with wildcats is potentially a common occurrence. The true Scottish wildcat (F.sylvestris grampia) is not as true a species as is commonly believed. Studies suggest that most modern cats described as 'pure wildcats' unfortunately exhibit genetic characteristics pointing to a hybrid ancestry. Many argue that the type-specimen, shot at Invermorriston, Highlands, against which other purported Scottish wildcats are compared, may indeed not be a purebred Scottish wildcat after all.

Analysis

The Kellas cat specimens collected largely by Di Francis were subjected to a thorough examination by Dr Andrew Kitchener of the Royal Scottish Museum, in Edinburgh.

Based on the evidence from eight collected specimens, he concluded that seven of the cats showed traits common to both Scottish wildcats and domestic cats. These cats were described as introgressive hybrids, representing animals with varying degrees of Scottish wildcat and domestic cat ancestry, which in turn accounted for the differing external characteristics exhibited by the type specimens.

The final specimen exhibited external characteristics AND internal characteristics (largely gut length, skull morphology, etc) which led Kitchener to believe it represented the first melanistic Scottish wildcat ever documented. Unfortunately, some researchers have raised doubts as to this conclusion, as black (melanistic) wildcats have never been recorded in Europe, although melanism is a common coat colour mutation in other cat species.

From Kitchener's findings, some researchers have suggested that the term ÒKellas catÓ should be reserved solely for use in describing pure melanistic Scottish wildcats.

Kellas Cat History​

1) January 1983. Kellas, Morayshire.

Adult pair of Kellas cats spied beside the River Lossie, the male of the pair shot and killed. Having killed several such cats in the past, this male, a fine specimen, was taken to local taxidermist to be stuffed. (Tomas Christie specimen)
Male 42 inches from nose to tail. Taxiderm specimen came into possession of Di Francis, the specimen ultimately ending up at Elgin Museum.
Francis took the specimen to Frank Turk, retired zoologist, Professor Charles Thomas, and to Daphne Hills and her team at British Museum (Natural History), London for their professional opinions of the specimen. Consensus was the specimen represented a feral domestic x Scottish wildcat hybrid.

2) June 1984. Revack Lodge, near Grantown on Spey.

Local gamekeeper, Ronald Douglas caught second known Kellas cat in a fox-snare on the estate. Adult male cat, 43 inches from nose to tail. Viewed by Forres vet, John Robertson, and the director of Highland Wildlife Park, Edward Orbell.
Douglas sent the carcase to Perth based taxidermist, Ronnie Buchan. The specimen allegedly went missing. (Di Francis later retrieved the remnants of it's pelt some years later.)

3) April 1985. Advie, South of Charlestown of Aberlour.

Local gamekeeper bagged another adult male Kellas cat, on the Aberlour road, near hamlet of Advie. Carcase sent to Di Francis, who later sent specimen for appraisal by Daphne Hills at the British Museum (Natural History). Slight cryptic striping of tail evident in this specimen. Report stated probable wildcat x domestic cat hybrid, but one more allied to a wildcat origin.

4) 14th October 1985. Dallas, near Kellas, Morayshire.

Local gamekeeper shot a juvenile male cat, stalking pheasants at Dallas. Within 2 hours of the animals demise, a blood sample was taken by Forres vet, John Robertson, which was sent to Aberdeen University laboratories for chromosomal analysis. The sample proved useless, as stated on arrival as being either delayed (Francis) or contaminated (Shuker).

5) 1986. Darnaway Estates, Morayshire

A pair of Kellas cats shot. Male estimated at 11 months old, lean, white primary guard hairs prominent. Female of a much more stockier, shorter build.
Specimens sent to Di Francis for her growing collection, examined by scientific team under Professor Robert Barry (London University College). MeanwhileÉ..

6) Spring 1986.

BBC film crew working for TV programme 'Tomorrow's world' set traps near Kellas, and achieved success at catching the first live specimen of the 'Kellas cat'.
(Screened in documentary - 'On the Trail of the Big Cat' 22 nd May1986)
The specimen was female, and was taken to the Highland Wildlife Park at Kincraig. Blood sample sent for chromosomal analysis by Dr Fox of Aberdeen University's Zoology Dept. Results from this specimen proved, unequivocally, to be from a wildcat x domestic hybrid.

7) 28th February 1988. Redcastle, Ross-shire.

Adult male Kellas cat trapped alive by Mr Tony Sill. Trapped after it had attacked his Aylesbury ducks repeatedly. Again this specimen sent to Kincraig Wildlife Park.

8) 1986. Kellas, Morayshire.

Colin Barclay, Tomas Christie's gamekeeper, shot a female Kellas cat at Kellas. From the wound on her side, it was discovered she was pregnant, the head of a striped unborn kitten protruding from the flank wound of the black Kellas mother.

9) 1991 Autumn.

Big cat researcher Di Francis got the opportunity to keep the Ross-shire male, and Tomorrow's world female Kellas cats. Pens to accommodate the couple were made in a hurry. Cats adopted the names Fred and Freda, (see My Highland Kellas Cats, by Di Francis)

10) Colin Barclay later captured a live female Kellas cat, caught in a snare by its' forepaw. The limb needed amputating due to the severity of the damage, the three-legged cat, named Kelly, joined the 2 cats in Di Francis' possession.

11) Fred and Freda succeeded in producing a litter of kittens, cryptic striping being very evident. Over a series of weeks, successive kittens died, cause unknown. Speculated that the cause of death may have been lethal genes associated with inbreeding, or indeed associated with a rickets type condition, possibly brought on by improper diet.

12) 1994. Burgie lodge, between Elgin and Forres, Morayshire.

Adult male Kellas cat, shot on the estate. Tail size would suggest ancestry more domestic cat than wildcat.

13) 2001. Fife.

Rumours abound about ''Kellas' type cats seen on numerous occasions in the vicinity of several farms in the Fife areas.

14) October 2002.

Kellas cat, adult, killed in the lowland areas of Aberdeenshire. The specimen was made into a taxidermy specimen, now housed in the foyer of the Aberdeen University's Zoology Dept. building.

The Cait Sith​

In Scottish mythology there exists a feline form called the Cait Sith or 'Fairy Cat'. It is described in folklore as being a large black cat, 'sparked'/flecked with white. The similarity of the description with the primary guard hairs sported by most Kellas cat specimens has led many to believe that the folklore associated with the Cait Sith has, at it's roots, a basis in early sightings and descriptions of Kellas cats throughout mainland Scotland.

The ''Rabbit-Headed'' Cat​

In the midst of conducting her research into the Kellas cats, Di Francis came across a feline form, which convinced her of the possibility of another unknown species of cat, which she christened the ''rabbit-headed'' cat.

In 1988, a local gamekeeper shot a cat in the Dufftown area of Morayshire, and this specimen was sent to Di Francis, via Tomas Christie's gamekeeper, Mr Colin Barclay.

In outward appearance the cat did not look like the normal Kellas cat specimens. Whilst of a large size, it lacked the white primary guard hairs and chest patch. The specimen was an adult male, with adult sized testes. The specimen had a pronounced 'roman-nose', and sported large upper canine teeth.

Francis likened the head of the cat to a rabbit, such that the name stuck. Francis was convinced at the time that the specimen represented another previously unknown species of cat, native to Scotland. She was convinced other specimens would turn up.

In 1993, gamekeeper Jimmy McVeigh spotted a large cat swimming after wildfowl in an area near to East Kilbride. He sent his dogs into the water to 'flush-out' the cat, which on reaching the shore, and demonstrating such ferocity when cornered, was shot by McVeigh. The specimen was an adult female, with much the same 'roman-nose' sported by the Dufftown specimen.

Speculation exists whether the Revack lodge Kellas cat killed in June 1984 was actually a 'rabbit-headed' cat, the only remains of the cadaver being a taxidermy pelt.
Also in 1938, The Scottish Field magazine included an article about a black feral kitten found in Elgin, which could not be tamed as it grew into adulthood. A photograph of the adult cat revealed a profile similar to that of the rabbit-headed cat.

Analysis

Scottish Big Cat Trust (SBCT) members Dr John Murray and Mick Orsi MRCVS took the skull of the East Kilbride specimen to the Royal Scottish Museum in Edinburgh. There, Dr Andrew Kitchener, famed for his analysis of the Kellas cat specimens of the 1980s, conducted similar tests on the rabbit-headed cat skull.

Kitchener's findings suggested the rabbit-headed cat skull exhibited no real anatomical differences between it and specimens of Scottish wildcats, and domestic cats and their hybrids.

Examination of post-mortem photographs of the Dufftown skull and comparison of domestic cat skulls in the authorÕs collections shows an occasional anatomical difference. The differences Francis described once as being unique to the Dufftown individual exist either 1) in all cat species, or 2) in all cats - within the boundaries of normal genetic variation, eg relative skull sizes, etc.

Satunin's Cat​

In a report of the Zoological Society, London Volume II, 1904, the eminent Russian zoologist Mr C. Satunin described the existence of a large black wildcat type existing in the Transcaucasian areas. The features described re its morphology, are those attributed to Kellas cats ie. black cats with white primary guard hairs. One point to note is that the specimens collected had long thin tails. In terms of length, they were longer than most domestic cats, which in turn are longer than most wildcats and Kellas cats. Mr Satunin called the cat Felis daemon on the assumption he had discovered a new species of small cat. Many zoologists disagreed with his ideas, and indeed F. daemon was demoted to a subspecies of the European wildcat in 1973, currently described as F.sylvestris caucasia.

King Kellas Cats​

Tom Anderson, a correspondent for Animals and Men wrote to Jonathan Downes of the Centre for Fortean Zoology, regards a sighting of an alleged huge Kellas cat type specimen. The specimen was sighted around Strathdon, Aberdeenshire, and represented a Kellas cat 5 feet (60 inches) from nose to tail, seen at close distance. Maximum length for Kellas male specimens, 43 inches. Witnesses, Mr and Mrs Jeffrey, were adamant it was of Kellas cat type. Other similar cats have been seen nr. Slaines Castle, North of Aberdeen. Witnesses dubbed the beast a ''King Kellas''.

Where can I see mounted specimens of Kellas Cats?

1) Elgin Museum, Elgin, Morayshire

2) Royal Scottish Museum, Edinburgh

3) Aberdeen University, Zoology Dept. foyer, Aberdeen

Aron Bowers BVSc MRCVS

Bibliography/Sources

Mystery cats of the World (from blue tigers to Exmoor beasts) by Karl P.N. Shuker, 1989, Robert Hale, London.

Beast of Exmoor ( & other mystery predators of Britain) by Di Francis, 1993 Jonathan Cape Publishing

My Highland Kellas Cats (the discovery and origins of a ferocious new black wildcat) By Di Francis, 1993 Jonathan Cape Publishing

SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE: https://web.archive.org/web/2005040...ats.org/abc/identification/kellascataron.html

Natural History of Wildcats by Andrew Kitchener 1991, Christopher Helm Publishing.

Scottish Wildcat Newsletter, dated 14th March 2001

Aberdeen Press and Journal, dated 28th November 2002

'Smaller Mystery Animals of the West Country' by Jonathan Downes, 1996 CFZ Publications.

'Animals and Men' by Jonathan Downes, CFZ Publications.

Personal comparisons, anatomical detailing of Dufftown cat skull and domestic cats skulls.

Personal communications between myself and fellow members of Scottish Big Cat Trust, in reference to East Kilbride specimen of so called 'Rabbit headed cats'.

Mods - not sure if I'm justified in starting a new thread but Kellas cats are mentioned elsewhere but it seems in a different context as a pet, as an identity for a specific sighting etc. Please move if you feel this isn't valid.

I've compiled a dedicated Kellas Cats thread to hold posts and info previously scattered around the forum.

My question is as above. In the eighties we had Tomorrow's World featuring the Kellas then the late Di Francis' books and they are mentioned in Karl Shuker's mystery cats re visited. However they don't seem to be being reported anymore. Nor are they being offered as often as I'd expect as explanations for slightly overlarge moggie mis identifications of ABCs.

Have they died out or become so commonplace that no one is interested? If they died out, why? there were IIRC a number of sightings and bodies in the eighties. If they were as suggested a wildcat moggie hybrid why did they stop appearing? Did the hybrid breed true or revert to more normal looking moggies?

Has anyone any more information?

I don't know, but ... I would guess that the hybrid explanation for Kellas cats has "sunk in", and the growing awareness of Kellas cats as hybrids has reduced the motivation to treat them as noteworthy or outright cryptids.

There was a potential Kellas cat killed outside Aberuthven (on A9 between Perth and Stirling) last year- see this video. The guy who filmed it reckoned it was a small leopard, but it looks pretty Kellas like. The body was uplifted, probably by some road workers, but some big cat researchers found some bits of hair and flesh, which were sent off for testing, but I'm not aware of the results as yet. There was also a report of the body of a large grey cat outside Bannockburn in 2021, but the body had disappeared when researchers arrived, but again they located some hair or flesh, which was tested and found to be a wild cat/domestic hybrid, which is interesting as it's relatively far south. I'd suspected they might be spread further than the north east of Scotland (my mum possibly saw one just north of Perth in late 80s).
There's a Scottish big cat research group on facebook, and from the comments on there, I'd say that these cats aren't well known. While they definitely couldn't kill deer etc, I reckon they probably are a factor in ABC reports- much easier to mistake one of these for something bigger than it would be a domestic cat.

Last edited:
There was a potential Kellas cat killed outside Aberuthven (on A9 between Perth and Stirling) last year- see this video. The guy who filmed it reckoned it was a small leopard, but it looks pretty Kellas like. The body was uplifted, probably by some road workers, but some big cat researchers found some bits of hair and flesh, which were sent off for testing, but I'm not aware of the results as yet. There was also a report of the body of a large grey cat outside Bannockburn in 2021, but the body had disappeared when researchers arrived, but again they located some hair or flesh, which was tested and found to be a wild cat/domestic hybrid, which is interesting as it's relatively far south. I'd suspected they might be spread further than the north east of Scotland (my mum possibly saw one just north of Perth in late 80s).
There's a Scottish big cat research group on facebook, and from the comments on there, I'd say that these cats aren't well known. While they definitely couldn't kill deer etc, I reckon they probably are a factor in ABC reports- much easier to mistake one of these for something bigger than it would be a domestic cat.
I literally bumped into a Lynx when I was up in the hills at Alyth (in Perthshire) looking for a fallen standing stone which I eventually found lying flat on the ground.
On the way down back towards Alyth, I passed over a small gully, and stopped for a while, as I'd heard a really hair-curling growl not so far away down the gully. Sighting myself behind a thick gorse bush this cat passed me by at the bottom of the gully, and that was a really close encounter as I could easily observe it's age (looked quite an old Lynx, highly muscly with longish tufts on it's ears.
It carried on up the narrow pass and vanished up to the top of the hill, growling all the way - probably it had a den somewhere up in amongst the larger stones at the top of the dry burn.

Last edited:
I've compiled a dedicated Kellas Cats thread to hold posts and info previously scattered around the forum.

I don't know, but ... I would guess that the hybrid explanation for Kellas cats has "sunk in", and the growing awareness of Kellas cats as hybrids has reduced the motivation to treat them as noteworthy or outright cryptids.
The so-called Kellas Cat. . . isn't it supposed to have a white spot on it's front?

I literally bumped into Lynx when I was up in the hills at Alyth (in Perthshire) looking for a fallen standing stone which I eventually found lying flat on the ground.
On the way down back towards Alyth, I passed over a small gully, and stopped for a while, as I'd heard a really hair-curling growl not so far away down the gully. Sighting myself behind a thick gorse bush this cat passed me by at the bottom of the gully, and that was a really close encounter as I could easily observe it's age (looked quite an old Lynx, highly muscly with longish tufts on it's ears.
It carried on up the narrow pass and vanished up to the top of the hill, growling all the way - probably it had a den somewhere up in amongst the larger stones at the top of the dry burn.
How wonderful! What color was it?

The so-called Kellas Cat. . . isn't it supposed to have a white spot on it's front?
Aye, white spot and a coat flecked with white hairs. Of the dozen or so specimens submitted to the national museum in Edinburgh, all were black and one turned out to be a pure bred but melanistic wildcat.

Reactions: Sid
How wonderful! What color was it?
Sandy tan coloured on the main body, with some light-grey tufty hair here-and-there. Whiskery face (beard like) which was white and grey, head held in a downward stance, didn't notice the tail much so I presume it must have been a bit stumpy. Legs very thickly muscled as well as the body itself. Stood something like two and a half feet high (from memory). "Certainly made my hair stand on end when it was growling as it was so totally unexpected!"
And it was only 11 miles away from where I lived at the time.

Back