• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Personal Items You Value & Can't Part With

A

Anonymous

Dark Detective's thread 'Famous Pants' inspired this thread.

The question is: do you own an item of clothing, a piece of furniture, a childhood toy, a car - anything that you treat as a lucky charm, a pet, or a mascot - that has long passed its useful or presentable life, but you just can't give up wearing or using, or can't give over to graceful retirement or death?

(Elvis Presley, for instance, for all his wealth and fame, apparently valued above everything else his honorary Police Service medals.)

I have my karate suit, does that count? I haven't been able to use it for 6 years so it's old and probably not the best fitting thing I own. Oh it used to be my dads! (yes I did say my dads, but at the time it fit half decently). I should say that he did karate circa 1984! I can't bear to get rid of it, it my be old but it is way better than the ones they make these days. It's got a lot of merories that suit.

luce

Do you still wear it though, Lu? I mean around the house? I can picture you stalking around the place like Inspector Clouseau - yanking open fridges, chopping the air like mad?

No I don't wear it around the house.

luce

My Teddy! He was originally from M&S, most of his fur's worn off, he has blue buttons for eyes and still bears the lipstick marks on his face when I was playing cowboys and indians with him as a kid (he was an indian). He went to university with me and had a new suit made for my sons' christening.

Oh, and my nice, smooth piece of quartz which fits nicely into my hand and I carry in my handbag.

Carole

i have this very sad old toy donkey who is wearing his seventies flares they are so psycodelic, his name is eddy he is very threadbare but so adorable

I've still got my dads old AFS (Auxiliary Fire Service) overalls, dad wore them right through the blitz & he said that he:- "Got bombed to s**t in them", by which I think he meant that he had a few near misses.

After he died, aged 67, a mate of his turned up & wanted to talk about the time he & dad got stuck on the roof of a warehouse in the London docks, stairs burnt away & everything on fire under them. They got out when they tied their hoses & slid down them to the ground.

My mates could never understand why I got drunk that night with an old boy half a century older than me, but I think I really understood my dad for the first time that night!!!!!!

I have a 1974 Dougal from the magic roundabout.
He is completely hairless and is covered in patches but I love him.

Apart from that I subscribe to the "Don't-throw-that-away-it-might-be-useful-to-someone-at-some-point-in-the-next-centuary"

But the other half is a member of "That's-not-been-used-or-looked-at-inthe-past-six-months-so-it's-going-to-the-tip" school of thinking...

Domestic bliss in our house I can tell you.......
:(

My daughter had an ancient cotton sweat shirt with a local high school logo on it. It was truly old, antique almost. Before she went off to college we darned and mended it, She loved it. At that point it was one of a kind! Someone stole it, and only it, from her dryer load in the dorm. She threatened to scratch out their eyes if she ever saw it on anyone. Can't say I blame her. In an age of brand name clothing it was unique and couldn't be replaced.

Emmy Mallow said:
But the other half is a member of "That's-not-been-used-or-looked-at-inthe-past-six-months-so-it's-going-to-the-tip" school of thinking...

Domestic bliss in our house I can tell you.......
:(

Funny, Emmy, I have a husband like that, mind you, he knows from bitter experience not to throw anything of mine away without consulting me, then he shows me the item(s) and tries to reason with me ('You don't still need THAT, do you??')

My friend's dad had a really disreputable old cap he used to wear for gardening. His wife hated it, tried to throw it away on several occasions without success, as he always retrieved from the bin. Their cat finally decided the outcome by being sick in it . . .

Carole

I must admit Carole that I have had to 'teach' my other half not to throw my stuff away too - it usually involves vast quantities of snot, tears and throat sweets...not pretty!

As for catsick - well if my cat was sick on my Dougal - the cat would just have to go.

Now if the cat was sick on my husband - well I would toss a coin to be fair.....:D

But carole, cat sick makes an item kinda...well more personal...& it provides a waterproof layer on old caps.

As long as it ain't washed off.:D

. . . and if you want to be really stylish you could add a furball on the top as a pompom . . .:p

Carole

I've seen ads for a canvas bush hat which claimed that they were so strong and well made that one had been swiped off a bloke's head and eaten by an elephant, but later 'recovered', washed out, and was as good as new! But this had happened to this particular hat TWICE!

(I can believe that, having seen in nature documentaries howrelatively inefficient the elephant's digestive system is.)

Another point that probably tells more about me than anything else: when I first saw the title of this thread, I assumed it was about the Victorians' habit of clothing pets to hide the 'naughty bits', much as they were supposed to have hidden all those sexy legs on their furniture behind padded covers....

Back