• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phantom Drips

A

Anonymous

Has anyone ever experienced a phantom drip? Me and my kids have had this in nearly evey room in the house. Sometimes they can be felt like a big wet splat on the top of the head, sometimes they are simultaneously seen and heard at the same time when they drop past you and splat on the lino. I remember seeing an article in a past fortean times magazine about someone else who lives in the same town as me experiencing this. How comman is it, and more importantly, what can it be?

Thanks for that, mate. It sounds exactly like my experience except there,s no blue colour, it just looks dark. The icy cold feeling I can confirm. Thank god we,re not the only ones - there,s got to be some explaination for this!

This appears in my house from time to time.

We've been having alterations done and the builder and I saw a large 'drip' and heard it 'splat' on the floor last week.

Last night the BF saw it too, for the first time for ages. I told the builder this today and he said, if I saw a ghost or anything like that here, I'd run a mile!

Just at that moment, a door, which he'd leaned securely back against a wall while he screwed hinges onto it, fell forwards on top of him. :eek:

I recently came across the FT 96, from March 1997.*
It includes a letter from one Helen Harling of Bristol, who describes exactly the same 'phantom drip' phenomenom as we've see.

I did write in to the FT with my own experience after that letter but no interest was shown. :(

*not in a shed

Mods, I was looking for the original 'Phantom Drips' thread mentioned above but can't find it.

As I can remember posting on it I wanted to add some more of my house's weirdness.

I did write in to the FT with my own experience after that letter but no interest was shown. :(

Didn't your account make it into one of the "It Happened To Me" short books? I'm sure I've read it there.

Mods, I was looking for the original 'Phantom Drips' thread mentioned above but can't find it.
As I can remember posting on it I wanted to add some more of my house's weirdness.

The "thread" you mentioned back in 2004 wasn't a thread on the FTMB forum that survives to the present day.* It was a webpage in the IHTM section of the old FT website.

(* There's a faint chance it was a thread on the original version of the forum and was lost years ago.)

Here is the latest (before becoming defunct) version of that webpage from March 2005, accessible via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050308043849/http://forteantimes.com:80/happened/phantomdrip.shtml

The text as displayed in March 2005 is unchanged from its original appearance in July 2001.

(* There's a faint chance it was a thread on the original version of the forum and was lost years ago.)

That sounds likely because I can remember discussions going on. There's also a Phantom Water (or summat) thread which I also posted on. Thats still around.

Anyway, my'ouse is still spooky. Some things happen so often now, we hardly even notice.

That sounds likely because I can remember discussions going on. There's also a Phantom Water (or summat) thread which I also posted on. Thats still around.

Anyway, my'ouse is still spooky. Some things happen so often now, we hardly even notice.

Spill the beans then woman..

Spill the beans then woman..

Oh, I couldn't POSSIBLY...

Right OK.

(I've mentioned this before but we've been doing this a long time so I've dredged it up again.)

Apart from the 'drip' that falls from the ceilings there are two 'warm spots'.

One is on the upstairs landing. As I reach the halfway point of the landing I can feel warmth on one side next to the wall.

When we moved here many years ago the central heating was faulty so we'd have to switch it on and off manually.
I'd feel the warmth on the landing and think 'I don't remember putting the heating on!' and touch the radiator, to find it cold.

Later I had new central heating installed and removed the landing radiator, but I still feel warmth along there.

The other warm spot is in the kitchen. We had a wall built and put the new gas cooker against it.
I couldn't get it connected for several months while we waited to have a pipe installed.

Even so, the cooker area always felt warm. I'd assume someone had left a ring or the grill on but - no gas!
The cooker was eventually connected and is in daily use. When I'm near it I often feel heat and check the controls to be sure it's not on.

To save time I have even painted marks on the controls to show which position they're in, so I can tell at a glance. That’s how normal it seems.
The heat is not fierce, but more like a gentle glow. It feels like being close to a radiator or grill.

Most weirdly, the two ‘hot spots’ are situated on top of each other, in the kitchen and on the landing. My cooker is the first to be installed in that position after we had the ground floor remodelled. As usual, I’m baffled.

Oh, I couldn't POSSIBLY...

Right OK.

(I've mentioned this before but we've been doing this a long time so I've dredged it up again.)

Apart from the 'drip' that falls from the ceilings there are two 'warm spots'.

One is on the upstairs landing. As I reach the halfway point of the landing I can feel warmth on one side next to the wall.

When we moved here many years ago the central heating was faulty so we'd have to switch it on and off manually.
I'd feel the warmth on the landing and think 'I don't remember putting the heating on!' and touch the radiator, to find it cold.

Later I had new central heating installed and removed the landing radiator, but I still feel warmth along there.

The other warm spot is in the kitchen. We had a wall built and put the new gas cooker against it.
I couldn't get it connected for several months while we waited to have a pipe installed.

Even so, the cooker area always felt warm. I'd assume someone had left a ring or the grill on but - no gas!
The cooker was eventually connected and is in daily use. When I'm near it I often feel heat and check the controls to be sure it's not on.

To save time I have even painted marks on the controls to show which position they're in, so I can tell at a glance. That’s how normal it seems.
The heat is not fierce, but more like a gentle glow. It feels like being close to a radiator or grill.

Most weirdly, the two ‘hot spots’ are situated on top of each other, in the kitchen and on the landing. My cooker is the first to be installed in that position after we had the ground floor remodelled. As usual, I’m baffled.

OK, so not spooky, more odd. Have you got a couple of thermometers you can leave in place to see the difference? Could it just be that a particular wall simply gets more direct sunlight, hence warmer?

OK, so not spooky, more odd. Have you got a couple of thermometers you can leave in place to see the difference? Could it just be that a particular wall simply gets more direct sunlight, hence warmer?

Both spots are well away from windows and hot pipes. It's just what the house does, like the sound of people walking around at night in shoes when everyone's in bed or the kitchen cupboard doors always being open. Pretty feeble really.

Both spots are well away from windows and hot pipes. It's just what the house does, like the sound of people walking around at night in shoes when everyone's in bed or the kitchen cupboard doors always being open. Pretty feeble really.

That's more like it! Do the cupboard doors open at night so you find them open in the morning or at any time if you leave the room?

That's more like it! Do the cupboard doors open at night so you find them open in the morning or at any time if you leave the room?

Dunno, but I have to close them at least a couple of times a day. It's just the top ones.

It's not me leaving them open as I ALWAYS close cupboard doors after use so I don't bang my head on them. It's a lifelong habit. I hardly even know I'm doing it.

So I recently mentioned to Techy that he's always leaving the kitchen cupboard doors open and he said 'No, I close them after YOU leave them open!'

There're only two humans and three cats here. As none of us is admitting to it I'm going with the polt.

The Drip happens mainly in the kitchen, where the cooker-area warm spot is also felt.
It is additionally the site of my terrifying cooking. A chilling location indeed.

Back