• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phantom Flusher Drives Out OAP

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The story of an OAP who was driven out of her home by a ghost that flushes her toilet:
Flushed with success

There's a bit more to it than that, she claims it pulls her hair out too. Alarm bells should ring when she describes herself as a psychic, so there may be an element of wish-fulfilment (flush-fulfilment?), yet her neighbour says she saw a ghost too. The power of suggestion? Or bad plumbing?

I think loneliness is also a factor. Once, in my early twenties, I was coming back from a trip to Amsterdam. In the train to Paris, I sat next to a lady which was a Jehovah witness and also was persuaded that she had the devil after her, describing how it was disturbing her house and life. I remember thinking she had probably a tough life and it probably soften her mind. I dismissed it as mental illness, being not as Fortean as nowadays. If I was to meet her now, I would try to find out more, as I have been reading too many stuff about haunted houses and experienced ,myself mild stuff, two years ago in my house ( things on the corner of my eyes, each time I was starting typing stories on the computer either in the lounge or the Verandah.) Nothing threatening but wholly bizarre.

The story of an OAP who was driven out of her home by a ghost that flushes her toilet:
Flushed with success

There's a bit more to it than that, she claims it pulls her hair out too. Alarm bells should ring when she describes herself as a psychic, so there may be an element of wish-fulfilment (flush-fulfilment?), yet her neighbour says she saw a ghost too. The power of suggestion? Or bad plumbing?

Maybe a bit of both? Some "poltergeist" type activity and she's someone inclined to believe in such stuff so may be making more of it than there actually is?

I think loneliness is also a factor. Once, in my early twenties, I was coming back from a trip to Amsterdam. In the train to Paris, I sat next to a lady which was a Jehovah witness and also was persuaded that she had the devil after her, describing how it was disturbing her house and life. I remember thinking she had probably a tough life and it probably soften her mind. I dismissed it as mental illness, being not as Fortean as nowadays. If I was to meet her now, I would try to find out more, as I have been reading too many stuff about haunted houses and experienced ,myself mild stuff, two years ago in my house ( things on the corner of my eyes, each time I was starting typing stories on the computer either in the lounge or the Verandah.) Nothing threatening but wholly bizarre.

This may be related to you concentrating your vision in one area.

Happens to me a lot when I am watching tv. Something appearing to move at the periphery.

Happens to me a lot when I am watching tv. Something appearing to move at the periphery.

No offence intended but is that an age thing? Or something that can become more pronounced with age?

No offence intended but is that an age thing? Or something that can become more pronounced with age?
my optician tells me seeing things at the periphery is called, appropriately for this thread, 'floaters'. I don't know if its age, but she told me its nothing to worry about.

Flushed with success

i had a self flushing loo a few years ago. it was caused by someone having done a bodge job and using a ballcock to big for a toilet, which had then got so overloaded with limescale it was weighing itself down and 'flushing'.

similar thing happening in my dads water tank. very hard water round here.

I wonder if I can house-swap with her? I've got a toilet that *refuses* to flush. I have to use a bucket (to flush the toilet with, I mean, not instead of).

Have you checked inside the cistern Catseye? Maybe the water flow needs adjusting. Or maybe someone has taken a leaf out of my Dads book and shoved a brick inside to save on water. Used to drive the whole family nuts we all used to check the cistern every time he went home.

Have a look to see if you've a leaky washer.... as in washer with a nut, not as in machine.

Good suggestion, but it was before I started writing on my computer. It was quite puzzling, anyway.

Pat Next Door described the ghost's clothes totally differently. I wonder if ghosts do costume changes?

Also find it hard to believe this one. That said, some people come across more credible than others so any self respecting ghost might want to appear to someone less credible.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but it's the whole flush mechanism that's knackered. Landlord not that bothered, and I'm not pestering because I'm hopefully moving out quite soon.

Back