• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

phantom lorry thing

Scribbles

Ephemeral Spectre
I live on a quiet residential street, where we all have our own small drives and there's never many cars parked on the street.

This morning, after dropping the kids off at school, I turned into my road and saw that a small lorry thing was backed onto my drive. 'Oh good!' I thought, 'They've finally come to pick up our skip.' We've had a midi skip sat on our drive for a few weeks and the skip firm keep telling me they are going to pick it up when I call them, but then they never do.

I pulled over to the left (my house is on the opposite side) and watched a man get out of one side of the cab (the driver's side) and open the door to the other. He clocked me staring at him (like I said it's a quiet, empty street) and I thought I'd better park and go speak to him as the skip was not mounted onto the lorry yet.

So I did. I drove a couple of car lengths onwards, to where I could park without being in front of anyone else's drive, stopped and got out of the car and, erm, the small lorry thing had vanished.

I know that's sounds silly, because what it had obviously done is drive off, but I can't figure out how the vehicle managed to pull out of my drive (narrow squeeze for a lorry to get through my gate), get to the end of my street, turn left or right onto the busy main road, and drive far enough along it for me not to catch a glimpse (you can see a good section of the main road from my street because the two buildings on both corners lay back). I couldn't have been more than a few seconds parking up my car! It wouldn't have been time for that man to get into the cab, close the door and put his belt on! And that's presuming there was another person on the driver's side to drive it off straight away!

I stood on the road just staring at where the lorry should have been. I was stunned. I got some crazy idea that the lorry must be hidden behind my hedge and so I crossed the road and looked into my drive, where of course there was no lorry, just a skip.

I parked my car onto my drive and entered my house feeling really odd. I didn't know what to do with myself and so I went to text my husband about the weird thing that had just happened and I realised that my hands were shaking!

The only sensible explanation is that I must have spent a lot longer parking my car and getting out of it than I realised, although I can't figure out how - what was I doing? And if they weren't the skip company come to get my skip, then what the hell were they doing backed onto my drive? The road is plenty wide enough to turn around in, or there's a side road they could have backed into just in front of where I parked which would have been much easier to use!

Anyway, not as glamorous as a UFO or a ghost sighting, but it's freaked me out enough today to want to come on here and record what happened!

Hi, That sounds really odd and a nice descriptive account. I find these seemingly mundane events that suddenly go weird much more interesting than the prospect of say, a spectacular UFO display 8)
You said that you 'must have spent a lot longer parking your car and getting out than you realised'. Do you have any other reason to think that you had the 'lost time phenomenon' ? Like maybe you noticed it was much later than you could account for.
Was the lorry of the type that normally collects /delivers skips or did you not notice? If they were there to collect your skip they clearly did not take it. Is there something about it that would prevent them taking it? ( maybe overloaded or something)
Bear with me now - were you thinking about having it collected maybe and sort of wished the lorry to be on your drive way so it was - briefly.
Just trying to give you some food for thought. :)

V good questions!

I did wonder if I'd hallucinated it! Discounted that though because I didn't just catch a glimpse of what I thought might be a small lorry thing in my drive, I pulled over and watched a man walk around the cab of it. And I'm not one for hallucinations generally. Although, it would be just like my mind to conjure up as mundane a fantasy as my skip being taken away if it was going to conjure up anything!

I couldn't have lost MUCH time because when I went to text my husband I noted the time was about 9:10am, which isn't far out from the time I usually get home from dropping the kids off.

His reply text btw was "Gin!" Ha ha very funny. It's his mother that drinks gin and goes a bit odd, not me!

I did also text the skip firm and asked if they'd just tried to pick up my skip. No reply. They could have sent a vehicle that was the wrong size to pick up my skip I suppose, though I have repeatedly told/text them the size and payment! Grrrrr!

I think the thing that sticks out for me is that when I got out of my car and saw the lorry gone, I didn't think 'damn, missed them!' I thought more along the lines of, 'WHAT THE HELL? IT'S VANISHED!'

I still feel a bit freaked even now, hours later!

Scribbles said:
I drove a couple of car lengths onwards, to where I could park without being in front of anyone else's drive, stopped and got out of the car and, erm, the small lorry thing had vanished.

Perhaps the driver had backed into a driveway opposite your house and you didn't notice the lorry over there because you weren't looking for it in another driveway. Did that make sense?

This is certainly a very odd experience.
Maybe it's one of those 'looking at someone in a different universe through a wormhole' experiences?
Was the man dressed all in black? Maybe he used a neuralyzer on you, as in the Men in Black films?

Hi! Shaybarscabe, I did spend some time looking about me for the lorry and so I don't think it had driven across the road, although that would be an excellent explanation! Sadly the houses on the opposite side of the road to us have open front gardens, and so there's no hedge or anything it could have been obscured by.

And unfortunately the man I saw wasn't the least bit scary, in fact, he was quite fit!

My husband thinks it might have been scrap merchant people who drove off pretty quickly when they saw me watching them.

All I can say is that I will never forget the absolute shock I felt to see that that lorry was no longer there! It felt so completely and utterly 'wrong'. I somehow must have lost about a minute of time. Or else it really was a phantom lorry!

I think your husband may well have a point. Although I reckon thieving sods after the contents of your skip, as opposed to "scrap merchants".

Thieving sods will do, indeed!

Skips still in the drive, by the way.

If anybody knows how you can make a skip company come and pick up their skip I would be mightily interested to hear!

Scribbles said:
If anybody knows how you can make a skip company come and pick up their skip I would be mightily interested to hear!

Pay the bill?

I find that embarrassment is more potent a way of making people do things than any other method I have yet found.

If the gap in time gets really silly, try the local papers? A joke advert asking them to take back their skip?
LOST, Skip company answers to the name of xxxx. Missed by Skip, who cries every night....

Static Girl - I like! Maybe if I could just threaten them with that, although I'm the least threatening person in Britain.

Mythopoeika - I paid the bill in full when they dropped the skip off. That's probably why they can't be arsed to take it away again.

I still keep putting bits and bobs in it. It's got to the point that I think I'll actually miss it if it does go.

Scribbles said:
Mythopoeika - I paid the bill in full when they dropped the skip off. That's probably why they can't be arsed to take it away again.

Oh well.

Maybe things differ around the country but I've been told quite reliably by a guy who owns a skip company that they are actually quite nickable, there is a market for them apparantly. We had one stolen from the school where I work a couple of years ago so It's surprising your people are so lax in retrieving theirs. If they don't turn up soon - flog it!

Back