• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phantom Sounds & Tinnitus - A Link?

Thanks for posting the link! I hope it works as well as it sounds like it does, and that the device will be available soon!
My tinnitus isn't a torment, but I wistfully long to hear birds waking up in the morning without high pitched ringing in my ears.

This would be amazing and probably cost an arm and a leg and would be worth it
Sticking anything that vibrates behind your ear? wonder if that will work? It would probably need years before they could sell it cause of all the tests they would have to do first

The noises and voices at night that I associate with the tinnitus have started again, possibly due to the stress of lockdown and an uncertain futures. This time there is an odd twist- I hear someone shouting Boo! apparently from the wardrobe just as I snuggled down for the night.

Just one loud exclamation and only when I am in bed, not snoozing on sofa or pretending to work.

The noises and voices at night that I associate with the tinnitus have started again, possibly due to the stress of lockdown and an uncertain futures. This time there is an odd twist- I hear someone shouting Boo! apparently from the wardrobe just as I snuggled down for the night.

Just one loud exclamation and only when I am in bed, not snoozing on sofa or pretending to work.

I'd get checked out by a decent audiologist and your GP. I'm not saying it's anything to worry about as hearing voices isn't just the domain of a mental health issue and can be related to auditory problems.

I'm still in bed, it's 07:34, all is quiet apart from the birds outside. I can hear cups clinking downstairs, as when they're being rounded up to wash or to put coffee in. There's nobody in the house but Techy and me, and he's still asleep. This has gone on for 10 minutes or more.

come on - have a look.

i stayed in bed listening to the clinking in case Techy had got up after all but he was still indeed in the Land of Nod.
The sound went on for half an hour or more. It stopped before Techy got up to make our coffee.

Strangely, this morning was really quiet. Normally the cats'd be yowling for food and I'd hear people talking in the street and traffic going past but the only sounds were the birds and the clinking.

There must be an explanation. My hearing is excellent and if anyone were clinking cups downstairs I'd hear it.

The only thing I can think of is a bird that might have been producing a tinkling, chinking sound, it was at dawn chorus time, so maybe? If you go on the RSPB website they have recordings of birdsong you could try and identify (if you're stuck for something to do!).

The only thing I can think of is a bird that might have been producing a tinkling, chinking sound, it was at dawn chorus time, so maybe? If you go on the RSPB website they have recordings of birdsong you could try and identify (if you're stuck for something to do!).

The clinking was coming from downstairs. I could hear through the door in front of me. I had my back to the window where the bird sounds came from.

The clinking was coming from downstairs. I could hear through the door in front of me. I had my back to the window where the bird sounds came from.
How rude of whomever it was not to invite you down in your own house!

i stayed in bed listening to the clinking in case Techy had got up after all but he was still indeed in the Land of Nod.
The sound went on for half an hour or more. It stopped before Techy got up to make our coffee.

Strangely, this morning was really quiet. Normally the cats'd be yowling for food and I'd hear people talking in the street and traffic going past but the only sounds were the birds and the clinking.

There must be an explanation. My hearing is excellent and if anyone were clinking cups downstairs I'd hear it.
Weird coincidence a similar thing has just happened to us this morning. Lying in bed semi awake when we hear a clinking noise, just like you described. Both get up and to find latest intruder sitting in the hallway looking up at us with a pack of those cat treats unopened in front of her. With one of those "it wasn't me, I didn't do it, it was her" type expressions. She had obviously fished it out from one of the glass jars on the kitchen worktop and the noise we heard was the jars knocking against each other as she stuffed her head in the right jar.

I have started to hear voices singing, like a heavenly choir, plus, sometimes, a bit of pop music, it only happens when it is raining, my roof is metal, strange but not to bothersome, I'm moving into a bungalow next week so that will be gone.

I have started to hear voices singing, like a heavenly choir, plus, sometimes, a bit of pop music, it only happens when it is raining, my roof is metal, strange but not to bothersome, I'm moving into a bungalow next week so that will be gone.
Eek - don't like reference to the heavenly choir thing Shady. Avoid any potentially hazardous activities....

Have you got tinnitus?

Interesting thread. I have recently developed mild tinnitus in my right ear and measured it at around 72 Hz in my workshop. Sometimes I notice it more, then realise it's a distant lorry or plane which my tinnitus seems to amplify if the real noise frequency is about 72Hz.

Years ago I had some very convincing auditory hallucinations. The door-bell one was very annoying, but there were two others:
One was as short musical scale played on what sounded like bamboo tubes (the name of this instrument escapes me), and the second was the sound of a largish piece of crumpled-up paper being thrown against the wall and bouncing onto the floor. All sounds appeared to have a definite 3-D presence in the room and outside my head. All happened as I was about to drop off to sleep.

Back