• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phantoms Of The Psyche: Esoterica & Forteana

altered_boy

your friendly neighborhood alchemist
Hello everyone, here is my sixth chapter in the book I am releasing via The Last American Vagabond.

this chapter continues the comparisons between Esoterica and Forteana. it investigates the debate of Free Will vs Determinism, which leads into questions of the Subjective and Objective, and polarity overall.

it also begins to investigate the phenomonology of the anima, through dreams, artwork, and archetypal mythology/folklore. a la the Syren, the classical devilish songbirds that Odysseus and Jason met throughout Greek mythology. but the syren goes much deeper than this, inspiring the mythology of the mermaid and representing the inverted manifestation of the night terror. common to sleep paralysis. the tale of the sucubus known as Lilith has been personified all throughout history as the one who sneaks into rooms at night during sleep paralysis, i.e. the shadow people that come along with the SP.

the shadow people depict the horror of the unknown, but the syren depicts the folly of falsely acquiescing the unknown and suffering because of this falsity. fairly different manifestations that are manifested by the same archetypal dilemma.

Prolegomena to the Study of Greek Religion by Jane Ellen Harrison. “Their song takes effect at midday, in the windless calm. The end of that song is death. It is only the warning of Circe that we know of the heap of bones, corrupt in death—horror is kept in the background, seduction to the fore.” [p.199] “It is the very image of obsession, of nightmare, of a haunting midday dream. The woman can be none other than an Evil Siren… The terrors of the midday were known to the Greeks in their sunsmitten land; nightmare was to them also a daymare. Such a visitation, coupled possibly with occasional cases of sun-stroke, was of course the obsession of a demon. Even a troubled tormenting illicit dream was the work of a Siren. In sleep the will and the reason are becalmed and the passions unchained. That the midday nightmare went to the making of the Siren is clear from the windless calm and the heat of the sun in Homer. The horrid end, the wasting death, the sterile enchantment the loss of wife and babes, all look the same way.” [p.203]

Here is the chapter. More to come! http://www.thelastamericanvagabond.com/anthony-tyler/dive-manual/songs-soul-syren-dive-sickness/

Last edited:
i think these concepts represent interesting points of data when considering hypnosis and neurophenomenology. i am not convinced that transpersonal states of consciousness cannot also become transphysical, meaning that a priori knowledge plays a role in Fortean phenomena. but I am NOT saying that Forteana is all hallucination.

also, research into Lilith and the Sleep Paralysis phenomena will be the focus of Chapter 7.

case in point: “The most fearsome monsters of all may inhabit the dark corners of our mind waiting for us to release them through our beliefs and gullibility. The phenomenon feeds on fear and belief. Sometimes it destroys us altogether, other times it leads us upwards into the labyrinth of electromagnetic frequencies that form a curtain in the area we call windows and stalk us to drink our blood and create all kinds of mischievous beliefs and misconceptions in our feeble little terrestrial minds.” - JOHN KEEL [Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings, p. 223]

case in point: “The most fearsome monsters of all may inhabit the dark corners of our mind waiting for us to release them through our beliefs and gullibility. The phenomenon feeds on fear and belief. Sometimes it destroys us altogether, other times it leads us upwards into the labyrinth of electromagnetic frequencies that form a curtain in the area we call windows and stalk us to drink our blood and create all kinds of mischievous beliefs and misconceptions in our feeble little terrestrial minds.” - JOHN KEEL [Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings, p. 223]

I'd probably say an imbalance of neurotransmitters are more likely than beliefs or gullibility in releasing monsters.

I'd probably say an imbalance of neurotransmitters are more likely than beliefs or gullibility in releasing monsters.

i think perhaps you are misunderstanding the biological nature of the archetype. as far as I see it, you just described the exact same thing as I, but in a different way. and I'm not saying that shadow ppl are literal demons. All I'm saying is, let's not disregard the recurring motifs found within both Forteana and archetypal psychology/esoterica.

Last edited:
Not really, the mechanism of neurotransmitters is biological after all. It was more a comment on Keel's melodramatic prose. I was never a huge fan Also I don't disregard anything as I wouldn't be here.

Not really, the mechanism of neurotransmitters is biological after all. It was more a comment on Keel's melodramatic prose. I was never a huge fan Also I don't disregard anything as I wouldn't be here.

Lol. Okay, I see what you mean now. I always saw his writing style as a tongue-in-cheek embodiment of the pulp-fiction era he lived in. But even if its tongue-in-cheek, it's still melodramatic so I can't disagree with that.

Back