• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phineas Gage (1800s Tamping Rod Through Skull)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I searched, but didn't find any thread that recommended itself for this ...

Although images / illustrations of Gage's skull damage are not rare, there were no known photos of him after his famous accident.

Such a photo has apparently surfaced ....

The photo, his life mask, and skull are illustrated in this news article at NPR.org.

January 24, 2010
In 1848, Phineas Gage became a medical miracle.

Gage was a 25-year-old railroad foreman, who was known for being efficient and friendly. One September day, his crew was laying track in Cavendish, Vt. As he was tamping explosive powder into a hole in the rock, the powder exploded prematurely, driving the tamping iron straight through his head.

Gage never lost consciousness. He sat upright in the ox cart that carried him to an inn, a half-mile away. He was met there by Dr. John Martyn Harlow, who performed one of the first neurosurgeries ever. Gage recovered in a matter of months, though he lost his left eye.

That tamping iron now hangs in the Warren Anatomical Museum at Harvard Medical School. Most visitors to the museum come to see the giant spike and a life mask of Gage's head, complete with gaping scar.

"I talk about Gage all the time," curator Dominic Hall tells NPR's Guy Raz.

"It's funny — I have this close relationship to Phineas Gage because of how often I look at his case, and think about his case, and talk about his case with other people," Hall says.

Gage and his remarkable story of survival have become the stuff of medical legend. But photos of him were lost to history — until now.

That's Not A Harpoon

In 1968, Jack and Beverly Wilgus were charmed by a daguerreotype of a man holding a metal rod. It showed a seemingly self-possessed young man, surprisingly handsome despite missing an eye.

"It has a real presence about it," Jack says.

The Wilguses thought the man must have been some kind of whaler. They titled the portrait "One Eyed Man with Harpoon" when they posted it on their Flickr account over a year ago.

Whaling experts soon debunked that theory. That's not a harpoon, they said, and that's no whaler. The mystery remained until another Flickr member, Michael Spurlock, noticed the image. "Maybe you found a photo of Phineas Gage?" his comment read.

"The first thing I did, of course, was to Google Phineas Gage," Beverly says. "The more I read, the more excited I got, because everything just fit."

Harvard hasn't officially confirmed the daguerreotype's authenticity, but Hall is confident the man in the image is Gage. He says there are several points of correlation, including an inscription on the tamping iron that matches the one hanging in the museum.

The Wilguses are already convinced.

"Knowing it's Phineas Gage and not just [an] anonymous person has certainly changed the way I feel about it," Jack says.

"It's like getting to know a lost relative or something. You've lived with this person, at least the image of them, for all these years," he says. "We’ve literally looked at that daguerreotype every day during the time we've had it, because it's always been on display."

The confident attitude of the man in the picture is a revelation to his biographer, Malcolm Macmillan. Macmillan, a professor at the University of Melbourne in Australia, says the image most people have in their minds of Gage is surly and downtrodden.

That's because it was Gage's subsequent personality shift, more than the groundbreaking surgery, that vaulted him into medical journals and psychology classes. He literally became the textbook example of brain trauma's effects on personality.

After the accident, Gage withdrew. He was frequently described as childlike, vulgar and coarse, in contrast to the pleasant, businesslike manner he once had. He lost his job with the railroad and became a stable hand in New Hampshire for a while before driving coaches in Chile. He died in 1860 in California at the age of 36 after a series of convulsions.

The Wilguses' daguerreotype, however, may change how people see Gage. "Before, when you're thinking of Gage, you think of a skull, or you think of a life cast, or you think of an iron," Hall says. "But now, there's this image."

"This is the image that now I can associate with Gage," Hall says. "It's become a new dimension in my relationship with this individual."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... t=1&f=1007

Here's the image which is featured both in the NPR article and the one in the current issue of FT:-

gagecustom.jpg

Hello all!
Just wanted to know if there was ever an article in FT about Phineas Gage, the man who survived a metal spike through the head due to an unfortunate blasting accident on the railways in gold rush America. I love the Vlogbrothers site on Youtube and Hank happened to mention it. He showed a picture of Mr Gage at the end and i was sure i'd seen it before. Apparently Phineas, after his recovery, toured around with Barnum for a while, so it may well have been in an article about Barnum, or indeed a medical oddities page.
I know that i've seen the photo in question, Phineas Gage in some kind of uniform holding the metal spike. I just don't quite know where! It's all very irritating, but not quite as irritating as Mr Gage's spike!

Wasn't it a bar, rather than a spike? It went into his head, and he survived, but had a personality transformation, turned nasty and alcoholic? I seem to recall also, that the small metasl bar, and his skull, (maybe not the skull), is on exhibition in some museum or other.

Very short thread here with picture:

forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40411
Link now obsolete due to merging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ta very very muchly for the thread! I'm sure i have seen that bloomin' picture more recently though!
And yes Coaly, it was a bar not a spike! And there are quite a few stories about him turning into a bit of nasty fella, but then he was missing at least a teacupful (his doctors rather ghastly discription) of his brain! :shock:

Once I was telling a friend how important the Gage case was in neuroscience and how it helped us understand the role of the frontal lobe (after the injury Gage became rude, aggressive and lost all his social inhibitions). His answer was-"well I'd be pretty pissed off as well if I had half my brain punched out". Heh, you can't argue with that really.

One of the more interesting facets of this latest article is the claim that Gage's famous personality shift may not have been as permanent as is often assumed ...

There is something about Gage that most people don't know, Macmillan says. "That personality change, which undoubtedly occurred, did not last much longer than about two to three years."

Gage went on to work as a long-distance stagecoach driver in Chile, a job that required considerable planning skills and focus, Macmillan says.

This chapter of Gage's life offers a powerful message for present day patients, he says. "Even in cases of massive brain damage and massive incapacity, rehabilitation is always possible."

It's not clear to me that Gage's subsequent work history necessarily demonstrates the personality changes faded with time. The typical descriptions of his shift allude to emotional volatility and reduced social inhibition, not inability to plan or maintain focus.

One of the more interesting facets of this latest article is the claim that Gage's famous personality shift may not have been as permanent as is often assumed ...

It's not clear to me that Gage's subsequent work history necessarily demonstrates the personality changes faded with time. The typical descriptions of his shift allude to emotional volatility and reduced social inhibition, not inability to plan or maintain focus.

I agree. Also looking at the injury site the prefrontal cortical areas (necessary for planning/working memory) look like they could have escaped the worst of the damage.

Herein is perhaps your answer....

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/how-think-neandertal/201310/the-biggest-myth-about-phineas-gage

"It has passed into near mythology that his personality changed so radically that “he was ‘no longer Gage.’” That particular description of Gage’s personality change was published by his initial attending physician J. M. Harlow in 1868, 20 years after Gage’s tragic accident and about 7 years after Gage’s death, the latter from what appeared to be status epilepticus, an unremitting state of brain seizures. There were virtually no other first-hand published accounts of Gage’s life, other than a briefer article published by Harlow in 1848."
(........) Harlow wrote that Gage’s personality dramatically changed, becoming childish, capricious, and impulsive, where he might have once been mature, level-headed, and decisive, but the very specific context that Harlow wrote “he was ‘no longer Gage…’” actually referred to Gage’s loss of his keen business acumen and his inability to carry out and execute his operational plans.

What I think is more interesting than good 'ole Phineas himself - and trust me after decades of finding him in A level specifications and undergrad courses, I am somewhat bored by him - is the fact that it spawned the frontal lobotomy. An example of how quite often, one case study and/or other type of study is seized upon, and informs policy, in this case how to manage volatile patients and turn them into more manageable placid individuals.
Psychology and history is littered with examples. E.g. Bowlby's theory of monotropy and the mother being the primary caregiver, was used by the government in the 1940's to try and force women back into the home, to make way for the men returning from war. Now it is also quite often used by men and women, who believe that a woman's place is in the home for the first few years of a child's life. The latter conveniently forget that there has been a lot of replicable research since which questions a lot of Bowlby's theory.
I could go on....

Really strange. But I like it.

Last edited:
I've been listening to 'The Idiot Brain' by Dean Burnett (love my non fiction as audio books), and he casts quite a lot of doubt on whether or not Cage actually did undergo the personality shift supposed and related. How much research Burnett did into the case I can't vouch for, but he is a neuroscientist...

Then there's teh possibility that the idea he dramatically changed at all is itself a myth.

http://www.apa.org/gradpsych/2012/09/tall-tales.aspx
Exactly.
What I think is more interesting than good 'ole Phineas himself - and trust me after decades of finding him in A level specifications and undergrad courses, I am somewhat bored by him - is the fact that it spawned the frontal lobotomy. An example of how quite often, one case study and/or other type of study is seized upon, and informs policy, in this case how to manage volatile patients and turn them into more manageable placid individuals.
Psychology and history is littered with examples. E.g. Bowlby's theory of monotropy and the mother being the primary caregiver, was used by the government in the 1940's to try and force women back into the home, to make way for the men returning from war. Now it is also quite often used by men and women, who believe that a woman's place is in the home for the first few years of a child's life. The latter conveniently forget that there has been a lot of replicable research since which questions a lot of Bowlby's theory.
I could go on....
Zimbardo. Just sayin'

Back