• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phone Calls From The Dead

I have heard what sounded like phone conversations thrue my Turntables and Mixer..... :?:

Similarly I once managed to pick up a rather unsettling police radio communication on an old walkman and more recently tuned into a taxi firm whilst trying to get my video to play through an amp. The most hilarious incident though involved an old black and white tv which somehow managed to relay every telephone call the next door neighbours ever made or received on their landline. Turns out that their lives were interminably dull. Strangely, the tv never picked up any of the mobile phone calls in our own house which you'd think would be more likely.

sonofajoiner said:
Strangely, the tv never picked up any of the mobile phone calls in our own house which you'd think would be more likely.

There is a reason for that and it has to do with the digital nature and high-band frequency of our phones and their carriers (I'm no expert, so that's all I can really say). Analogue wireless home phones have a terrible record of crossing connections: I once had a 4 way conversation with my girlfriend and my across the street neighbour and the other person on his line.

If anything, the spookiest calls I've had are the onces that don't end after you put down the phone... where you pick it up and it's still going. Those or those bloody calls in the middle of the day that hang up immediately.

There is a book called 'Phone calls from the dead' IIRC

There's one that's a collection of short stories, nothing to do with the topic of this thread: amazon link

But this seems to be the one - sadly out of print: amazon link

But never mind that, here's the one that totally terrified me! amazon link Be sure to read the reviews, they really sent a shiver up my spine :_omg:

My parents moved to Cyprus when they retired and we all thought they'd be really happy there. It wasn't so, they were miserable and were unsure if they'd ever settle... One day the phone rang in their new place and they picked it up and both swear that the voice on the other end was my dad's recently deceased mother. mostly it was incoherent (she'd died after a stroke and her speech was badly affected) but the only words they could make out in amongst the repeated jumble were "go home".

So they did.

and 2 slightly off topic bits...

another "parents in cyprus phone story" a few years back i got hold of the japanese version of "Ring" and was watching it with a friend when just after the tape played for the first time my phone rang! arrrrgh! it was the folks calling to see how i was was... it took quite a while to explain why i was so jumpy :)

and as to picking up transmissions my old marshall amp used to pick up german and bulgarian (i think) radio... it was quite nice to plug in a guitar crank up the gain and let it play some old spooky weirdly modulated music when discussing forteana and ghosts with friends in my living room...

I had a phone call from a friend that had died in the summer of 2004. This happened several months after he had passed away. I was taking a nap in the middle of the day, the telephone rang and woke me up. The phone was across the room so I had to get up and walk across the room to answer it. It had rang about 5 times by the time I answered it.

I had been in a deep sleep, which is very unusual for me....I have sleep problems.... The man on the other end asked, "Is Mike there?" This was Mike's voice so the question kind of confused me. I said, "There is no Mike here." Then the line was just kind of dead. No sound at all. And it was dead for a long time. I was hoping he would come back and say more.

I looked at the Caller ID and it didn't register the call even though it rang at least 5 times before I answered it. I checked all the phones and the answering machine that have Called ID in the house....which was 4 devices at the time. None of them had registered the call.

I always regretted that I had told Mike that he wasn't here. I always wonder what he may have said if I would have let him know that I knew it was Mike calling. I have always hoped that he would call back. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
To TVgeek

Psychic Sylvia Browne (who I DO have issues with) does
have some valid points: mainly, if a person has had a very
traumatic experience in this lifetime, a period of "sleep"
is enforced when they arrive on "the other side". This can
last up to a year, if the person (or their "soul") is damaged
enough. That fits our phone experience perfectly.

Would you mind telling me what problems you have with Sylvia Browne? This is not an attack. I am just curious. I pretty much like her although I don't know much about her. One of my friends absolutely hates her due to the Opal Jo Jennings abduction and murder and what Sylvia Browne had said concerning that incident. I don't even know what Sylvia Browne had said about it. This friend won't tell me because I have expressed that I like Sylvia Browne.

I am just curious about your opinion....or anyone else's opinion. This will not turn into and attack or an argument.

Thanks,
Dido

Last edited by a moderator:
A slightly non serious post but vaguely fits into the title ;)

My boyfriend and my dad share the same first name. One Christmas I hadn't been very well and my boyfriend had been staying with me at my parents house. His mobile wasn't working and so his mum, wanting to speak to him, phoned our house phone.

My mum answered and when his mum asked for Richard, my mum naturally passed the phone to my dad. Imagine my dad's shock when he heard "richard, it's your mum" - considering his mum died ten years ago!

Little Opal Jo Jennings was abducted by a repeat sex offender in March of 1999 from her Grandmother's front yard in Saginaw Texas. The family, desperate for answers, went on the Montel Williams show in April of 1999, and had a reading done by the infamous Sylvia Brown. Ms. Brown told the grandmother on national TV that Opal was alive, and that she had been taken, and sold into a sex slave ring in Japan, and very horrible things had been done to her. Montel Williams pledged the support of his finest private investigators, and promised that he would immediately start to work on locating Opal. This was the last time family ever heard from Montel, or Ms. Sylvia Brown. Opal's Tiny remains were finally found in a wooded area approximately 13 miles from where she was abducted in December of 2003. It was determined that Opal was killed by trauma to the head with several hours of her abduction. Montel left the viewing audience believing that they had solved the case, and would go and find Opal in 1999, none of which he did, nor did he correct the facts before his viewers…

Link

akaWiintermoon said:
Lots of letters about trying to get in touch with dead Nana

Please don't take this the wrong way but I would suggest that you need to speak to your nan or see your nan again was unhealthy. I speak with some empathy as my nan died of cancer in 94, that day (I was 16 or so) I decided I wouldn't go with my parents to see her as I culd see her tommorow. Of course I never saw her again. My parents returned from their visit 5 minutes before the phone rang to tell us she had passed away. Now, I loved my Nana like another parent and I remember kicking the shit out of the refridgerator when my parents went back up as I was so angry I hadn't been there ande so devastated she had gone.

Anyway, that is my story, I use it only so you can see I understand the closeness of family but this destroyed me for a long time, it really really got to me andf I know now that I wasn't being rational.

I think you maybe went through a similar thing (maybe completely different circumstances but with a similar end result) and I think that any visitation from our Nans would only add as fuel for an already passionate fire, so maybe your nan decided the best thing for you was to stay away and let you grieve and get over her and understand her death the best you could in your own way.

Ohh I dunno, that reads so badly but I was desperately trying not to insult you (which would never have been my intention, you know the way text can confuse a meaning).

Anyway, maybe I am talking bollocks!

YOU DECIDE!

didopixie1963 said:
To TVgeek
Would you mind telling me what problems you have with Sylvia Browne? This is not an attack. I am just curious.

Sorry this has taken so long...
I read several of Sylvia's books and often discussed them with a friend.
Sylvia would reiterate that she did her work because she had been chosen and was not in it for the profit. Then she came around on her book tour -- they were charging $40-$60 (IIRC) just to get in the door! My friend found out that private readings could run up to $600!
I know she has to make a living... but to pay in order to hear someone selling a book (which was not included in the cost) was just not consistent with the "message" of her writing.

After hearing her track record on Montel and various radio programs, I became increasingly disenchanted. If she stuck to the afterlife and not prognostication, she would still have some credibility.

My 2 cents worth...
TVgeek

I'll never forget years ago when a friend of mine's father passed away, she was one of 6 children, large family. After the funeral, they all went to the house.
The mother had been shopping the week before and had purchased a telephone, an (old-fashioned) landline which was still wrapped in the box. The family was having dinner and discussing remembrances when this telephone started ringing, rang six or seven times and then stopped.
My girlfriend said they all stopped talking and froze - this telephone was still in the box and not plugged into any wall connection. Not one of them said a word or mentioned the ringing phone, they finally went on talking.
I've never heard of anything like that, but she said that she knew it had to be her father letting them know that he was with them.

I'll never forget years ago when a friend of mine's father passed away, she was one of 6 children, large family. After the funeral, they all went to the house.
The mother had been shopping the week before and had purchased a telephone, an (old-fashioned) landline which was still wrapped in the box. The family was having dinner and discussing remembrances when this telephone started ringing, rang six or seven times and then stopped.
My girlfriend said they all stopped talking and froze - this telephone was still in the box and not plugged into any wall connection. Not one of them said a word or mentioned the ringing phone, they finally went on talking.
I've never heard of anything like that, but she said that she knew it had to be her father letting them know that he was with them.
This small article might be of interest:
https://www.spr.ac.uk/book-review/telephone-calls-dead-callum-e-cooper

In short: the phone might have rung because of psychokinesis triggered by one of the family members, and not necessarily a proof of communication with the dead, but still being a paranormal occurrence. Sadly, the mentioned Cooper's book is hopelessly out of print.

When my grandmother died, my aunt called my house. My mother and my aunt are pretty much estranged and don't really talk.

My grandmother had sadly suffered from dementia and hadn't spoken in years.

So, my aunt asks for my mother.

"Hello, son, is yer Mam there?"

It was the exact same voice, tone and mannerisms of my grandmother. The once regular phone call that was an almost daily part of my childhood.

For a second my blood froze. I've never felt anything like it.
Not having heard my grandmother's voice in years meant it was even more arresting.

Of course, it was my aunt. Who I'd barely seen or spoken to for over a decade. She sounded just like my grandmother.

"It's yer aunty M"

As soon as she said that the feeling of shock left me but I'll never forget it.

For a moment, I genuinely thought my grandmother was calling to say the goodbye she was denied by her cruel illness.

When my grandmother died, my aunt called my house. My mother and my aunt are pretty much estranged and don't really talk.

My grandmother had sadly suffered from dementia and hadn't spoken in years.

So, my aunt asks for my mother.

"Hello, son, is yer Mam there?"

It was the exact same voice, tone and mannerisms of my grandmother. The once regular phone call that was an almost daily part of my childhood.

For a second my blood froze. I've never felt anything like it.
Not having heard my grandmother's voice in years meant it was even more arresting.

Of course, it was my aunt. Who I'd barely seen or spoken to for over a decade. She sounded just like my grandmother.

"It's yer aunty M"

As soon as she said that the feeling of shock left me but I'll never forget it.

For a moment, I genuinely thought my grandmother was calling to say the goodbye she was denied by her cruel illness.
We have mentions of this sort of voice coincidence here and there. :)

In my last job a few years ago a female customer asked me 'Are you Escettte's Mum?'
I said I was, and she said 'I could tell because your voice is exactly that same as hers!'

This is what was going on with your phone call, yet part of your mind can't help thinking it's Gran. :)

We have mentions of this sort of voice coincidence here and there. :)

In my last job a few years ago a female customer asked me 'Are you Escettte's Mum?'
I said I was, and she said 'I could tell because your voice is exactly that same as hers!'

This is what was going on with your phone call, yet part of your mind can't help thinking it's Gran. :)
Absolutely.
I hadn't heard from my aunt in so long I didn't know what she sounded like.

Amazing how your mind automatically connects things.

My dad used to say that he couldn't tell the difference between my mum, my sister and I when talking to us on the phone. Yet I don't think my sister and I sound similar at all.

My dad used to say that he couldn't tell the difference between my mum, my sister and I when talking to us on the phone. Yet I don't think my sister and I sound similar at all.
Is that just because no-one ever hears their voice as it sounds to others (unless you record it of course, at which point you realise that you don't sound like you thought you did)?

Here is a Raven Reads video on YouTube. It's a collection of stories from people who believe their deceased loved ones have made contact with them by phone.

Escet played some phone recordings to me recently that sounded exactly like my voice. It was actually Escette. I was amazed.

I can't tell the difference between any of my three daughters on the phone. Despite the fact that, in real life, one has a marked Australian accent, and one has a deeper voice. Something about the electronic apparatus flattens out these things (plus it makes the Aussie twang less noticeable). But, yes, thank goodness for mobiles who tell you who is calling!

I can't tell the difference between any of my three daughters on the phone. Despite the fact that, in real life, one has a marked Australian accent, and one has a deeper voice. Something about the electronic apparatus flattens out these things (plus it makes the Aussie twang less noticeable). But, yes, thank goodness for mobiles who tell you who is calling!
Yup, decades ago when the ex and I first went on the phone we had constant obscene calls one evening from a man whose voice seemed familiar but I couldn't quite place, because I wasn't used to using the phone.
So I listened hard when he spoke about what he'd like to do to me, which way up and where and how often. :thought:

When Ex came in from work and the phone rang again I gave it to him to answer and he heard 'Hello (Ex), I 'ear you've got a big one!'
He went pale and slammed it down. :chuckle:

Many years later I bumped into another ex and suddenly realised that it had been his voice on the phone that night. He didn't deny it. :dunno:

Have to say, if he'd been THAT sexually creative when we were together there'd be a big wedding anniversary coming up any day now. :nods:

Last edited:
I dropped my last mobi twice once of the top of a bloody great waterfall,
both times it called my mother, not a clue why or how as it was not only
locked but her number was not first on the list or anything.
:dunno:

A comedian said that when her Father phones her, he intoduces himself three times - ''Hello, it's me, your Father, Joe Bloggs''.

Back