• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phone / Cellphone Addiction Or Obsession

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
People are addicted to their phones.

I bet you can not look at your phone for two hours.

Phones have broken up relationships because one of the partners won’t put down the phone during sex.

When my older grandkids’s schools dismissed for the day, every kid is looking down on their phones.

I equate phones to endorphins making the brain wanting more and more.

Phones have broken up relationships because one of the partners won’t put down the phone during sex.

When my older grandkids’s schools dismissed for the day, every kid is looking down on their phones.

I can go a couple of days without looking at mine if I'm not working.

No, Frideswide, I don’t have a link.

I read an article in a magazine a long time ago about problems with relationship and phones was one category.

Simple communication between two people seems so simple, but it turns out to be difficult for one partner to tell the other partner to what is going on.

I've never owned a smartphone. I do have a flip phone but I don't use it every day.

I do have a smart phone but mostly use it to view BBC news website on my breaks at work. I also keep in touch with my brother so we can discuss our mum's care. But I have to be careful with Facebook. Some people don't seem to realise that checking for likes on their comments is hitting their dopamine centre in the brain.

I've noticed it - and the age of the people constantly on their mobile devices ranges from teens to 70+ yr old pensioners. It doesn't seem to be age-dependent at all.

I find it slightly ironic that the adults who told us in 1983 we would get addicted to the Sinclair ZX Spectrum games and to get off the tv are now the Facebook addicts on their tablets and phones! I still like to play computer games but I have to sit down at a desktop PC and do that - If I ever get bored whilst out and about (and I rarely do) I always have a book or magazine with me.

I can forget to look at my phone for days unless I am waiting for a call, or have family away who need to get in touch regularly.

One of the refreshing things about watching a quality drama filmed pre-2000 is the absence of phone adorers.

However, I did meet a charming young lady of about 12 yesterday who doesn't really like using mobile phones and only uses her phone when she has to - she'd rather have a conversation in person. Nice to meet a kindred spirit!

I've never owned a smartphone. I do have a flip phone but I don't use it every day.
I consider this (bolded type) the biggest misnomer ever.:chuckle:

Editted to add: I usually turn my phone off at night. If I have it on for any reason at night, it is on silent.. I tell my friends (who expect immediate replies) that I often don't see any of their texts until, possibly, the next day, so that they don't take offense that I might possibly be ignoring them - nope, no favouritism there, I"m ignoring everyone. I do not have my work email synced with my phone. I only look at work email if I"m at work. I use a watch to tell time. Shall I go on? haha

Last edited:
My auntie is addicted to her phone, but then again, she lost her husband over a year ago and therefore likes to stay in touch with as many people as possible. She could not have done that quite so much with letter writing 50 years ago. So to try and put a positive spin on it, at least we still want to be connected to the world - we're just not sure about staying connected in person.

It must be something to do with maintaining a profile, a "character" we can control for a public face for the world. Something, something, pandemic...

This Chinese boy's phone addiction motivated him to report his father to the police when his dad took away his phone and made him help with household chores. The kid wasn't too bright in revealing he apparently has an auxiliary phone stash - yet another symptom.
14-Year-Old Forced to Do House Chores Reports His Father to Police for “Illegal Child Labor”

Chinese media recently reported the case of a 14-year-old boy who shocked police when he accused his father of “illegal child labor”, because he had been forced to do chores around the house.

The bizarre incident allegedly took place this week in Ma’anshan, China’s Anhui province. Sick of seeing his son with his hands and eyes glued to his smartphone, and ignoring his homework and studies, a parent decided to give the boy a taste of life’s hardships, and asked him to put down the handheld and do some housework. Angry with his father making him take a break from his phone, the reportedly smartphone-addicted teenager snuck out of the house when his father wasn’t paying attention and went straight to the police station. There, he proceeded to accuse his father of “illegal child labor”. ...

The officers on duty didn’t really understand what was going on when the 14-year-old boy made his accusation, so he accompanied the boy home to get a better understanding of the situation. When he told the boy’s father what his son had accused him of, the flabbergasted parent proceeded to explain ... that he simply took the boy’s phone away and made him to house chores.

Under Chinese law, housework does not constitute child labor, so the parent was in the clear, but the officer tried to find out how the boy could report his father for something that could have landed him behind bars. After getting no answer from the teenager, the policeman advised his father to discipline him, adding that taking his smartphone away for a while seemed like a good idea. To that, the boy replied:

“Do you really think I only have that mobile phone? That’s so naive of you!” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.odditycentral.com/news/...father-to-police-for-illegal-child-labor.html

Editted to add: I usually turn my phone off at night. If I have it on for any reason at night, it is on silent.
Mine is on Do Not Disturb from 10.00 pm to 6.00 am, the only exceptions being close family (if they ring me then there's a bloody good reason.)
. I do not have my work email synced with my phone. I only look at work email if I"m at work
Same - my work email goes to my work phone, which gets switched off as soon as I finish. I'm not paid to be on call 24/7. (We're a small organisation, so we all have one another's personal numbers but these are strictly used socially or in an absolute emergency, which we all respect. If you're not at work, you're not at work. End of.)

I consider this (bolded type) the biggest misnomer ever.:chuckle:

Editted to add: I usually turn my phone off at night. If I have it on for any reason at night, it is on silent.. I tell my friends (who expect immediate replies) that I often don't see any of their texts until, possibly, the next day, so that they don't take offense that I might possibly be ignoring them - nope, no favouritism there, I"m ignoring everyone. I do not have my work email synced with my phone. I only look at work email if I"m at work. I use a watch to tell time. Shall I go on? haha
I never turn my phone off but it is always on silent/vibrate.

My phone is on silent at night, with wi-fi and data switched off. I always switch off the Internet connection when we settle down for dinner and TV or a movie in the evening too, I don't want constant notifications from my incredibly huge social media following interrupting the entertainment (mainly WhatsApps from me mum).

Work phone goes off at the same time as the work laptop, and gets switched back on when I start the next day. I'm not that important, and my boss knows how to get hold of me if it's life or death.

Oh, you have to switch it ON, do you?

No wonder mine doesnt work.

However it has no `on` switch so I wont bother...

I don't have an addiction to my phone as such, but it does bother me how many things I need it for now. Bus/train tickets are just on phones now, my verification if I have to buy anything online is on the phone. That means if it runs out of power, suddenly there are a lot of things I can't do.
Last night I woke up and found my phone was out of power. I plugged it in and went back to sleep, but literally had a nightmare about it. That seems excessive.

I don't have an addiction to my phone as such, but it does bother me how many things I need it for now. Bus/train tickets are just on phones now, my verification if I have to buy anything online is on the phone. That means if it runs out of power, suddenly there are a lot of things I can't do.
Last night I woke up and found my phone was out of power. I plugged it in and went back to sleep, but literally had a nightmare about it. That seems excessive.
It's worrying me too. Everything is becoming far too phone-centric. What could possibly go wrong?

my verification if I have to buy anything online is on the phone.
I generally work from home, and have to enter a verification code into my computer each morning.
I get this code from my phone, to where it is sent by a text message.

I also need to enter a verification code into my computer in the company office.

It is also, sent to my phone by text message.

So I could turn up at work, using my staff [as which has a chip in it that lets me enter the office doors, and the doors to each floor.

And I could enter a username and password on my desktop computer.

But if I have forgotten my mobile phone...I cannot do any work. In theory. Unless the IT department have some sort of override by someone else in the office identifying me and vouching that I am who I claim to be.

It is absurd.

But I am convinced just a stage to wearing a microchip in a bracelet that is never taken off, or a microchip that is implanted...for convenience.

They'll be an advert on TV showing one man unable to work because his phone is at home, and another (younger, slimmer, glossy hair) looking at him with mixture of pity and condescension as he simply logs on with his implanted microchip.

But I am convinced just a stage to wearing a microchip in a bracelet that is never taken off, or a microchip that is implanted...for convenience.

They'll be an advert on TV showing one man unable to work because his phone is at home, and another (younger, slimmer, glossy hair) looking at him with mixture of pity and condescension as he simply logs on with his implanted microchip.
There are drawbacks to the convenience, or there will be.

I generally work from home, and have to enter a verification code into my computer each morning.
I get this code from my phone, to where it is sent by a text message.

I also need to enter a verification code into my computer in the company office.

It is also, sent to my phone by text message.

So I could turn up at work, using my staff [as which has a chip in it that lets me enter the office doors, and the doors to each floor...

But I am convinced just a stage to wearing a microchip
What? You didn't get yours with your c-19 jab:lolling:

Back