Phone Weirdness

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Tesco clubcard is particularly data hungry.
That's how they can target you in the post with vouchers for the specific products you usually buy anyway - because their system remembers everything you buy when you scan the card.
They also (of course) know how much you usually spend and on which sorts of items so can use that as a leverage to get you to spend more by giving you (eg) a voucher for £5 off when you spend £50 on 'clothing', if all you bought was a £30 pair of trousers one day.

I don't bother with any 'rewards cards' cos they're all rubbish really.
The Tesco one sounds good when you go in there and it says (eg) "Greynoff Vodka £18 - or only £12 with clubcard." and then you find that in any other store it is just £12 at it's normal price anyway.
Also most cards will give 1 point for every pound spent.
Which again, when you see a product that will give you an extra 40 points, sounds like an idea to opt for purchasing that item.
But when 1 point = 1 penny means you have to spend £5000 to get fifty quid in points, that extra 40 points is not much of a benefit.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
1652468647796.png

solsticebelle

Junior Acolyte
My sister’s iPhone called my landline today on its own. She normally calls my cell number when she calls me, not my landline number, so that was doubly odd. She wasn’t even near her phone when it happened. But my iPhone makes calls on its own too and it can be embarrassing. My previous iPhone did the same thing, but only once — and the first person my current iPhone called spontaneously—interrupting a call I was already on — was to that very same person, a distant business associate I subsequently removed from my contacts list.

I‘m sure this is just a technical glitch but it’s very annoying and weird.

I’ve also had something weird happen with my landline. A few years ago, I was talking to a friend on my landline and as we were finishing our conversation by confirming some plans I said “ok” about something, my friend said something else and I started to say “ok” again but before I could say the “k” part of it, this creepy, gravelly sounding voice interrupted me by saying, in a drawn out, mocking way, “oooookkaaaay” — sounding like it was somebody on a phone extension. My friend didn’t hear it but I was extremely freaked out and she stayed on the line while I nervously checked my house. It’s never happened again thankfully.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
My sister’s iPhone called my landline today on its own. She normally calls my cell number when she calls me, not my landline number, so that was doubly odd. She wasn’t even near her phone when it happened. But my iPhone makes calls on its own too and it can be embarrassing. My previous iPhone did the same thing, but only once — and the first person my current iPhone called spontaneously—interrupting a call I was already on — was to that very same person, a distant business associate I subsequently removed from my contacts list.

I‘m sure this is just a technical glitch but it’s very annoying and weird.

I’ve also had something weird happen with my landline. A few years ago, I was talking to a friend on my landline and as we were finishing our conversation by confirming some plans I said “ok” about something, my friend said something else and I started to say “ok” again but before I could say the “k” part of it, this creepy, gravelly sounding voice interrupted me by saying, in a drawn out, mocking way, “oooookkaaaay” — sounding like it was somebody on a phone extension. My friend didn’t hear it but I was extremely freaked out and she stayed on the line while I nervously checked my house. It’s never happened again thankfully.
Three theories about the "okay".

I have had the experience of crosstalk on landlines. It could have been someone else's conversation that you were hearing due to a badly wired junction box somewhere - which means they might have heard you and the "okay" might actually be responding to yours.

Theory two: radio reception. I used to live near a small Christian radio station with its own transmitter tower. Our landlines always picked up the station. I eventually traced the problem to a long cord plugged into a poorly shielded computer modem.

Finally, if your friend was on a cell phone, it could have been a really bad case of the echo one sometimes gets in mobile calls. Voices on modern mobile calls are digitized and compressed, so an accidental stretching of your first "okay" might be possible.