• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phone Weirdness

Some unknown person recently had a little phone weirdness, courtesy of my husband.

He was texting a friend the other night and wrote "I'm wearing my wife's underwear and watching Bubble Guppies. I thought of you and got a little misty."

A text came back saying "who is this?"

Turns out he'd texted his friend's old number, not his new one. :oops: OH sent a text back saying "oops, wrong number" and added a "haha" at the end to hopefully dispell any worries that the unknown person was being stalked by a madman. Still, I can't help but wonder what the other person was thinking!

(BTW, he was not wearing my underwear - that's just his own special sense of humor :rolleyes:)

That "haha" at the end probably freaked the poor person out even more!:D

In the late 1990s, when mobile phones were really taking off, I knew someone who claimed they knew how to find anyone's number, mobile or landline - even ex-directory ones. They were very boastful they could do it but wouldn't tell me how. I thought they were BS-ing but stuff came to light later with that person that made me think it was true. I still wonder if it was true, how they did it..?

When I receive a text or email on my mobile, it's set to vibrate and make a brief sound. Nothing unusual there, I'm sure most of you also have phones which vibrate, chirp, or both, when a message comes in. In the case of my own phone, the vibration occurs first, so it is possible to slightly anticipate the alert tone itself.

The other evening, sat quietly at the kitchen table with my mobile only a couple of feet away, I heard the phone vibrate, and looked up just in time to see the screen light up - not unusual - and then a 2-second burst of rock music erupted from the speakers, followed by silence. My first thought was that someone had mischievously changed my ringtone, but when I checked the phone, there were no missed calls. What there was was an alert icon to show a new email had arrived. The email itself was nothing unusual, and in any case, I do not have any special alerts set up for specific contacts.

I've since checked my ringtone - it's still set to something light and classical (as opposed to classic rock), and I've had no repeat of the incident, so genuinely don't know what happened.

When I receive a text or email on my mobile, it's set to vibrate and make a brief sound. Nothing unusual there, I'm sure most of you also have phones which vibrate, chirp, or both, when a message comes in. In the case of my own phone, the vibration occurs first, so it is possible to slightly anticipate the alert tone itself.

The other evening, sat quietly at the kitchen table with my mobile only a couple of feet away, I heard the phone vibrate, and looked up just in time to see the screen light up - not unusual - and then a 2-second burst of rock music erupted from the speakers, followed by silence. My first thought was that someone had mischievously changed my ringtone, but when I checked the phone, there were no missed calls. What there was was an alert icon to show a new email had arrived. The email itself was nothing unusual, and in any case, I do not have any special alerts set up for specific contacts.

I've since checked my ringtone - it's still set to something light and classical (as opposed to classic rock), and I've had no repeat of the incident, so genuinely don't know what happened.
If it is a smart phone then you can also change alert tones (for example incoming email). These alert tones can be changed to songs from your music libary etc. Check your alert settings (not your ring tone).

It is a smart phone, but I've never bothered to download music to it. Rock music is my kind thing, as it happens, and I quite liked whatever the phone had started playing to me! I've also not changed any alert settings that I'm aware of in the last 6 months, other than turn the silent mode on or off. Funnily, another email popped in just as you were replying, and I got the normal chirp alert. Nonetheless, I'll have another dig around the settings when I get a chance.

Reading the above just reminded me of some phone weirdness yesterday. I have a weird mobile that sometimes only shows me texts a day or two after the sender sent them. Recently, a friend died. She died on the Tuesday, I think but on the Saturday she sent me a text from the hospice, as I heard afterwards, she sent it shortly before she took a turn for the worse and fell unconscious.

I have a feeling I might be the last person she texted as she sent it around 6 PM and she was unconscious by the following morning. And she was getting so weak that even typing a text was a major effort for her. The text was very affectionate and asking me to try to come and visit her in the hospice (her family had posted instructions family only, quite understandably, but she was trying to get hold of me for some reason - part of her text was her telling me she'd told the reception to let me in).

Sadly, my phone was playing up so I didn't get the message til the following day by which time she was unconscious so when I replied, someone else answered me from her phone to say she was now beyond a visit.

As you can imagine this text is now very precious to me. I realised I better forward it to myself as I'm always lending my phone to my 13 year old who is always breaking phones.... So I tried to send it to my email address, so if owt happened to my phone, I'd always have my friend's words.

Anyway it came to my email and I forgot all about it.

That was several weeks back.

Yesterday I was thinking about my friend as I was making arrangements to go to her house to pick up some things she left me. So she was very much on my mind. When my phone made that 'text' sound, I assumed it was from my husband who pesters me with texts when he's bored at work. But when I looked at it - it was my friend's text. That I somehow texted to myself (which I don't remember doing as I actually sent it to an email account, not in a text form). Very spooky to read my friend's words, as if she'd just written them. I have no idea what happened but clearly nothing actually supernatural. I have a malfunctioning phone, after all. But it was spooky to see my friend's name and last message appear on the screen just as I was thinking of her.

It is a smart phone, but I've never bothered to download music to it. Rock music is my kind thing, as it happens, and I quite liked whatever the phone had started playing to me! I've also not changed any alert settings that I'm aware of in the last 6 months, other than turn the silent mode on or off. Funnily, another email popped in just as you were replying, and I got the normal chirp alert. Nonetheless, I'll have another dig around the settings when I get a chance.

A certain fruit based phone you have to jump through hoops to get your own music as a ring tone or alert.

Mine's not fruit-based, it's a Chinese brand which I'm still not sure how to pronounce. Extremely nice phone, though - Android OS and great features including 13MP camera. My usual ploy is to stay on contract, change providers from time to time, and get the best "free" handset I can.

Mine's not fruit-based, it's a Chinese brand which I'm still not sure how to pronounce. Extremely nice phone, though - Android OS and great features including 13MP camera. My usual ploy is to stay on contract, change providers from time to time, and get the best "free" handset I can.

Huawei?

wah way

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Reminds me of 'Wacom', manufacturer of graphics tablets.
I used to think it was pronounced 'way-com', but when I bought one from a Chinese guy in London, he pronounced it 'wah-com'.

I've just given away my huawei to a colleague. They don't have much grunt when running multiple apps but the camera is fantastic.

I love my wee Huawei! :)

That "haha" at the end probably freaked the poor person out even more!:D

In the late 1990s, when mobile phones were really taking off, I knew someone who claimed they knew how to find anyone's number, mobile or landline - even ex-directory ones. They were very boastful they could do it but wouldn't tell me how. I thought they were BS-ing but stuff came to light later with that person that made me think it was true. I still wonder if it was true, how they did it..?

I once went to talk to an elderly woman about her grandparents. Her husband was a retired senior naval officer, either vice or rear admiral. I forget precisely which. But he'd once commanded an aircraft carrier, and been defence attache in Paris. A pretty successful career, if I'm any judge. As you might expect, they were delightful company, and it was a privilege to spend some time with them. But, when setting up the meeting, I had offered my mobile number. They demurred, muttering something about being too old for that kind of thing, and the landline number would be sufficient. I was quite surprised and not a little impressed by the subtlety of the message, then, when they rang me on my mobile a few days later to confirm some aspect of our arrangements.

Last edited:
The other day my mobile rang and after I answered some fellow asked if we were still on for dinner tonight.
Now as interesting as that sounded I had to tell him he had the wrong number.
One of my friends said maybe it was a deliberately given wrong number by someone who wanted to get rid of him.
Well,it could have been, or he wrote it down wrong or dialed it incorrectly

Received a call from a strange number today. Didn't answer and they didn't leave a message. OH googled the number and it turned out to be a phone sex chat line! :eek:

You know times must be tough if the sex industry has started robo-calling!

Received a call from a strange number today. Didn't answer and they didn't leave a message. OH googled the number and it turned out to be a phone sex chat line! :eek:

You know times must be tough if the sex industry has started robo-calling!

do you think the give 2 minutes of chat and then ask you to pay? (Grabs pencil for number)

It cold be a scam, there was a spat of it recently, if you answer it hangs up, if you don't it usually leaves a message along the lines of 'We have an important message for you, please ring us back as soon as possible on 043053905' and when you do it rings and it rings and it rings only it doesn't, it's already connected and the rings are a recording and you are being charged at premium rate.

I work for a major phone company here in Canada and started as an operator. I'm not terribly familiar with mobile phones, but there is a lot about landlines that people aren't aware is possible.

Lines get crossed all the time, which can result in hearing other people's conversations. Sometimes the communication can be one way or two way. People will often call the operator to tell us that the lines are being tapped or other paranoia.

A relatively common thing that we were able to do (assuming provincial law allowed it), is listen into lines. It's intentionally distorted, but a trained ear can hear what is being said. People will ask for is to do this when they've been trying to get in touch with someone for a while and the line has been busy. 90% of the time it is clear that the phone is off the receiver, but sometimes there will be people on the line. The next step, if laws allow for it, would be to break into the line. When an operator does this, a loud screech sounds for all 3 people (including the operator) on the line, usually followed by one or two "what the hell was that?". Then the operator introduces themselves and let's the party know that someone is trying to get a hold of them. I've never witnessed this being abused, but one has the potential to really confuse people.

Another duty as an operator is relay service for the deaf. Generally, this is pretty straight forward and the operator will speak on behalf of the deaf person who is typing a message, then type the response back to the deaf person. Much of the time, people immediately assume that these calls are strange, or a prank, if they weren't expecting the call. Try ordering a pizza like this. The other catch is that the operator is not allowed to speak to the hearing party, and can only speak what is being typed. Some deaf people will directly translate from sign language, which isn't constructed the same way as English, or there will be errors in the typed word that simply occur as a result of the technology. To someone who is not familiar with this, it can be a very bizarre experience.

And then there are VOIP services that just mess everything up. For the example above, you can cut the operator out of the equation and have a robot speak the typed word. The deaf user does not have any obligation to explain what is occurring and the technology has the potential to be abused by anyone at all.

Also on VOIP, you can create spoofed numbers. People will generally be quite spooked to receive a call from their own number.

Hopefully this info helps debunk some of the strangeness that people experience.

Not one to let people down, I'll finish the post with a story of my own, while working a graveyard shift... (Be warned, it's not actually that interesting) ;)

I was working a graveyard shift one night. Generally these are pretty boring and there would be maybe 2-3 people working. One might go on break and leave the other alone in the building. It's a pretty old building, 3 floors of desks with large windows to the front and the back. Each floor is one large room where you can see everything if you stand up. For a graveyard shift, we are restricted to the 2nd floor. The first floor doesn't house any equipment and the 3rd is locked (the 3rd floor also does not house any operator equipment). There is a lone security guard who sits in the cafeteria on the first floor, but the building is empty otherwise.

We are used to getting all sorts of prank calls and perverts calling in at these times, and having to relay (again, for the deaf who are typing) the occasional sex chat line. Otherwise, it is common to go for 30 minutes without receiving a call. Maybe even an hour, if it was a slow night.

I wasn't alone, but my coworker on this night is a friend of mine who was sitting beside me watching movies or something. I answered a call, and nobody was on the other line, except for my own voice giving the same spiel that I always gave when answering a call. I heard my own voice saying something like:

"This is the operator. How can I help you? [delay] Operator. How can I..."

My voice was cut off at that point, but the line was still active. I could hear the empty air, but you get a feel for these things, and I could feel that there was someone listening on the other line. I got spooked and disconnected.

Now, the computer screen shows the number that is calling, and this time it was completely blank. Sometimes it will be blank, but it is due to a software glitch, or 9-11 calling, and it doesn't happen often. Also, keep in mind that only landlines can call the operator, so this wasn't a VOIP or mobile. The equipment that we used is also the same equipment that was used in the 70s, very primitive, and did not have any way of recording audio.

I'm sure that there is a reasonable explanation for the occurrence and that it was likely a prankster who somehow knew that they had a 50/50 shot of getting me again... But the whole thing was enough to creep me out that night. It was business as usual after that- no second occurrence and my coworker didn't receive anything either.

It sounds like a phone hacker just checking you out (or a bored member of some spy agency).

Excellent post, Emp of IC! Could you tell the difference between an open line that someone was on the other end of and one where there wasn't a caller? Do they sound the same, or could they conceivably? Assuming there wasn't the sound of breathing, I suppose.

VoiP has made a lot of things possible, not all of them are good.

In the transformation from POTS to ISDN, voice data for a call was all digitized and placed into 8 bit time slots, multiplexed to up (to 2.048MHz 'E1', with 32 such 'slots', 30 of them 'voice') to deliver an 8Hz voice channel. But in the switching and exchanges this is 'just data', and to 'copy' a data stream, would leave no audible trace, no clicks or funny noises. In fact (he said carefully) it might even be easier to keep a very big 24 hour rolling back up of all calls through an exchange and simply back-track to the call of interest, if it was required.

to deliver an 8Hz voice channel
Surely, that sounds deeply like whale-song, dear Coal. But, if it were typo-truly 8 kilohertz, surely that's far too high fidelity for a phone....? And recording of DN call content is normally done (if at all) as an extract at the terminated receive end-point, albeit of course digitally....but not at the bitstream transport level, to the very best of my knowledge.

Last edited:
Excellent post, Emp of IC! Could you tell the difference between an open line that someone was on the other end of and one where there wasn't a caller? Do they sound the same, or could they conceivably? Assuming there wasn't the sound of breathing, I suppose.

Nothing cryptic here. But when you spend that much time on the phone, you get a sense for a "dead" line. You even get a sense for when someone is away from the phone but the line still connected, or when there is someone holding the receiver. It's difficult to explain, but you could easily experiment with what I'm talking about.

Amazing! Do you read the lines flat, or put some effort into it?

Haha. Great question. We were actually required to read everything without inflection. Often, the sex chat lady (not sure what her title is) would do exactly the same, speaking in a bored tone.

This got especially interesting when I would have to relay one half of an intense argument and say some pretty nasty words that I wouldn't speak otherwise.

It wasn't a bad job, save for the terrible pay. Always was interesting.

We were actually required to read everything without inflection. Often, the sex chat lady (not sure what her title is) would do exactly the same, speaking in a bored tone.
Cheers. That would be amazing to listen back to.

This got especially interesting when I would have to relay one half of an intense argument and say some pretty nasty words that I wouldn't speak otherwise.
I assume we're away from the "sex chat" now? ;)

Today my house phone has been repeatedly phoned from France (two different women and a man, all similarly calling out the same Arab or Asian man's name).

Absolutely no doubt it's from France (reads back as 00339 when I check via the 1471 check-number). My S.O. was doubtful of my tale, then happened to actually answer a call, and is now majorly spooked.

Very very odd.....

Today my house phone has been repeatedly phoned from France (two different women and a man, all similarly calling out the same Arab or Asian man's name).

Absolutely no doubt it's from France (reads back as 00339 when I check via the 1471 check-number). My S.O. was doubtful of my tale, then happened to actually answer a call, and is now majorly spooked.

Very very odd.....
ISIS are onto you! The Magic Roundabout is their most hated programme.

ISIS are onto you! The Magic Roundabout is their most hated programme.
I do hope not: Serge Danot (another French connection) taught a range of usefuĺ life-lessons via 'Le Manege Enchante'. Perhaps that all came in via the edit. Anyway, in the words of old Zeb, time for bed....

Two minor incidents of phone weirdness from my childhood – one easily explained, the other less so.

One time I was at home alone when the phone rang. I picked it up. An automated female voice said: "You have one message. Message reads: We are behind you." :eek: Fortunately for my sanity, there was a simple explanation. My sister had accidentally sent a text to our home phone instead of to the friend she was meeting, and the phone had dutifully read out the message.

2nd incident: I received a call from my mother's mobile number about a year after she died. I didn't answer it. I asked around a bit, but none of the family were in possession of her phone, or knew where it had ended up.

Back