• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phone Weirdness

my take on phone weirdness is generally a bit dismissive so i never thought id wind up posting here however in the last few days a couple of things have happened which were niggling and qualify as minor weirdness

my fortean sidekick has just started spending whole chunks of each evening on my phone to her friends ( shes 8 ) two in particular who are both chinese and there has been some low level drama about excluding one of them from games and cinema ... anyway i called the landline of #1 chinese friend using redial button on my landline ... scrolling through to find the number then hitting call ... passed the handset to sidekick and told her who it was ... they began talking and after some confusion and embarrassment it became clear we had actually called #2 chinese friends mobile ... although this wasnt in my call list as i would use my mobile for that

earlier this evening i rang a party back from their text message on my mobile the line was busy so i left a long voicemail ... after i hung up i saw i had a voicemail and figured they had seen my missed my call then immediately rung back while i was still leaving a message then leaving me a message ... but no somehow i had called my own number and left myself a message

so just now i woke up at 4:44 in the ayem just laying here and my landline across the other side of the apartment (open plan ) said out loud " please wait " quite loudly which is the only time in the 10 years or so it has ever done anything like this !

Just had silent phone call so I hung up and dialed 1471 apparently the number was 00000 000000, what does that mean?

I recently got a new mobile, though it doesn't yet have a SIM card in it, so it's can't send or receive calls.
But a few nights ago, it started ringing, with a call from an unknown number. I answered, and there was just silence.
The fact that the phone currently has no number and is connected to no network is what makes it strange, as otherwise the incident could just have been written off as some kind of network trouble.

android phones can be very buggy depending on the version ... and as its open source the right app could have access to the telephony functions regardless of sim or no sim although of course it wouldnt be able to route calls very easily except by a data connection ... wi-fi etc ... skype ...

Oh, it's not any kind of smartphone, just a regular old mobile.

This happened a few years ago, either 2007 or 2008.

I'd been scaring myself silly before I went to bed by reading stories about phone calls from the dead. Things like people having a phone conversation then finding out the person on the other end had died shortly before, or getting messages from deceased loved ones, that sort of thing. A common factor in them was that the calls came from withheld numbers and arrived at exact times.

So after getting throughly spooked I went to sleep, then was woken up by a phone going off. Disorientated I thought my alarm was going and hit the end call button to turn it off. I lay there wondering why it was so dark then realised it wasn't my alarm but someone calling me. I grabbed my phone and checked the missed calls.

Withheld number at 5:00:00am :shock:

Usually this wouldn't be so bad, but for saying it happened right after I'd been reading about phone calls from the dead...It's never happened since either.

I do wonder what would have happened if I'd had the presence of mind to answer it...

It would really have spooked you if you'd answered it and a voice you recognised as a dead relative had said just two words..."you're next".

The phone rang just now. I picked up, expecting another PPI or similar timewaster, but there was silence. I said Allo? a couple of times, and then a recorded female voice said "goodbye"!

Was this an omen of some kind, or just a faulty recorded message? :?:

rynner2 said:
The phone rang just now. I picked up, expecting another PPI or similar timewaster, but there was silence. I said Allo? a couple of times, and then a recorded female voice said "goodbye"!

Was this an omen of some kind, or just a faulty recorded message? :?:
Coincidentally, this answer arrived today:

What are silent or abandoned calls?

Call centres use automatic diallers to contact large numbers of people.

When the call is answered, the recipient is put through to an operator.

But the person at home can find there is nobody on the line if there are not enough staff at the call centre to actually speak to them.

Silent calls leave the line empty, but abandoned calls play a recorded message.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20945760
8)

My phone weirdness is not so much who or what was on the end of the line but more the ringing itself. I was living in a shared house in my third year as a student (in 1995) and our phone was set to incoming calls only (there was a phone box just outside our house and so we never had to worry about splitting the bill!). The phone would ring but with a sporadic sort of broken tone, stopping and starting with partial rings. The phone line was always dead when we picked it up. We would also ask our regular callers if they had rung early on but this was never the case.

We reported it to BT on a number of occasions and they claimed the tests showed there was no faults in the line and the cables were sound. We bought a new phone on their recommendation but this did not stop the problem. It was an old house and it could be a bit creepy if this 'broken ringing' happened when alone. We eventually learnt to ignore it but I remember it happening as frequently as once or twice a night. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?

Yep had a similar problem when I lived in Cornwall, it was eventually traced to condensation in the junction box outside the house, once it was replaced the problem was solved.

Likewise, I experienced similar 'broken' ringing at a previous workplace and BT eventually found it was down to trees branches making contact with various pole mounted phone cables.

'F' may be akin to 'Q' or 'M' - a senior civil servant or something...

This is weird but not supernatural.

My mother in law's carer rang this morning to tell me that her phone isn't working. This is a bit serious, as her various alarms and her emergency pendant and warden alert system run off it, so I had to deal with it.

When I rang her number to test it I got a different house completely! When I explained that I wasn't a scammer, the person gave me their number so I rang that to see what would happen, and got a third house! :lol:

When I rang back to my mother in law's number again and got the wrong house once more, the man of the house was on his mobile, having rung their own landline number and also got the third house! Sheila, who lives there, is NOT amused at all.

I've rung BT and after an attempted fob-off with a spurious line test I was told that, yup, there IS a problem and it'll be fixed by the 10th April. If it takes that long, there'll be some angry phone calls whizzing about.

The people whose phone I got when I rang my mother in law gives out my mother in law's number on the 1471. Her daughter suggests they try making a long call to Australia to see who gets the bill! :lol:

Apparently people in the area are now ringing each other and getting wrong numbers all over the place. I'm highly amused, but glad it's not happening here!

Last month my own area's phone exchange had a fault that knocked off everyone's internet access. BT blamed the ISPs and the ISPs blamed straight back. Wasn't fixed for a week or so. I reckon a mouse chewed through a cable.

garrick92 said:
1) My bezzie mate, whom I have known since we were approximately 17 (I've now known him more than half my lifetime, how depressing), has often repeated the same tale of his phone ringing in the dead of night and him (thinking it must be bad news of some description) answering it half-stunned and half-asleep, to hear a fruity male voice saying solemnly: "Duck soup. Rendezvous ten o'clock." Mate said incredulously: "Who is this?" Male voice (sounding shocked) said: "Oh" and hung up.

:shock: I wonder what it meant and who it was actually for?

We've had our landline make a beep noise just as we're getting into bed lately. I've been told in the past that "its when they test the line" but is that really a thing? Or a UL? I always think "ah the aliens are trying to make contact again" when I hear it, clearly a sign that I'm on here too much!

escargot1 said:
This is weird but not supernatural.

When I rang her number to test it I got a different house completely! When I explained that I wasn't a scammer, the person gave me their number so I rang that to see what would happen, and got a third house! :lol:

When I rang back to my mother in law's number again and got the wrong house once more, the man of the house was on his mobile, having rung their own landline number and also got the third house! Sheila, who lives there, is NOT amused at all.

I've rung BT and after an attempted fob-off with a spurious line test I was told that, yup, there IS a problem and it'll be fixed by the 10th April. If it takes that long, there'll be some angry phone calls whizzing about.

The people whose phone I got when I rang my mother in law gives out my mother in law's number on the 1471. Her daughter suggests they try making a long call to Australia to see who gets the bill! :lol:

Apparently people in the area are now ringing each other and getting wrong numbers all over the place. I'm highly amused, but glad it's not happening here!

Exact same thing happened around here. A motorist knocked a pole down and the first attempt to reconnect the wires got them all jumbled up. Took them about three weeks altogether to get it sorted out.

Three weeks! :shock:

There're going to be some RABID BT customers round the MiL's area if it takes that long. :rofl:

Edit: most unsportingly, BT have already fixed the fault. How disappointing. ;)

I HAVE SOMETHING RELEVANT TO POST! :shock: :lol:

Last night at around half past nine, our home phone rang. We usually never bother answering it as it's always a cold caller - anyone who knows us calls our mobiles.

Thinking that it was pretty late for a junk call, the usual "bad news from home" alarm bells start ringing, so I answered it.

"Hello, this is a message from BT. Telephone number 07********* sent a text message to this phone at 9.32pm.

We're not able to read this message to you. This could be because it's blank, or contains a photo. BT recommends you contact the message sender."

OK, nothing weird there so far, and no bad news. The number was my mum's mobile, and she hardly ever texts. I sent her a message telling her what had happened thinking she was trying to send me a photo. I wasn't surprised that mum didn't reply straight away, her mobile is only on when she goes out.

So, mum calls me this morning:

"I'm sure I didn't send anything last night - I switched my phone off at about 6!"

Ah well, one of those weird glitches in the system.

Only....a minute or two later....

"I've just checked the sent folder on my mobile. The last message was a blank text sent to your home number at 9.32 last night! But my phone was off........."

:shock:

Remember that family who reckoned they were being haunted, whose phones used to ring each other all the time? :shock:

This morning when we were out my phone rang. it took me a few seconds to get it out of a pocket and when I did, it showed a call from Escette.

I did the usual 'hello?' business but there was no answer, so i eventually tried to hang up. The phone seemed to be frozen though so I tried switching it off and the call ended.

Trouble is, the call that showed on my list was a failed one from Techy. He'd rung me, heard a few rings and silence and another ring and then got voicemail.

Escette hadn't rung me as she was still in bed asleep. When I spoke to her later she told me that in Friday when she was on her mobile to her fiancé on his, they each heard the other sneeze, when neither had.

Mobiles, eh. :shock:

It's The gubmint tapping you and your families phones, they know you've been to Cern. :shock:

Must've brought a time-loop back with me, and my future self is trying to warn me about mickey-takers on that there internet.

Ronson8 said:
I thought you said that yesterday.
It's a case for the Doctor!

In which we learn that Scarg is his gran, and his real name is Geraldine!

Love this thread!

I used to work for BT in the early 90s in a call centre that took 100 and 999 calls. A few weirdy things passed my way but one I've just remembered was a bloke who used to regularly request reverse-charge-calls and he'd sound all normal until he was put through to the other person, then he'd turn nasty saying The Master demanded money, The Master wanted more money, etc, and the person on the other end of the line would just be crying. Well creepy!

Should admit that we weren't supposed to be listening to calls we connected, but you couldn't help yourself sometimes!

Back