• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Photographs Of Gnomes

Intersting that the gnome appeared to be really "pissed off". The one I saw looked really hacked off as well, not a bit like the story book grumpy/smiley chaps you expect. I attributed his expression to the realisation that he had been seen and was being watched.
Yes, there aren't enough gnome encounters on here. Please tell us about your experience.

I can’t help thinking that the giant pulling itself out of the earth which looked like a stone carving with a rudimentary head and shoulders was probably a rock emerging from the river, especially given that the photo was taken by putting a mirror in a river. It’s just what occurred to me when reading the account.

The gnome is more difficult to explain. I was wondering about a design on a shirt the guy could have been wearing or something like a logo on a bag or key ring attached to a bag which he may have put down on the ground while taking the photo and it got reflected in the mirror. Or could have been a picture on something else he had with him, eg a snack and it’s a character on the packet or a page of a newspaper, book, magazine, design on a plastic bag, sticker, case of a cd or computer game. (It was a time before phones). A logo or something could explain why it was small or even moving (eg cloth or paper or plastic might move in the wind) and it’s not unusual for a character to be pointing at the viewer.

But I am of course prepared to believe that gnomes live in woods and that ones that live near Reading would look annoyed.

I can’t help thinking that the giant pulling itself out of the earth which looked like a stone carving with a rudimentary head and shoulders was probably a rock emerging from the river, especially given that the photo was taken by putting a mirror in a river. It’s just what occurred to me when reading the account.

The gnome is more difficult to explain. I was wondering about a design on a shirt the guy could have been wearing or something like a logo on a bag or key ring attached to a bag which he may have put down on the ground while taking the photo and it got reflected in the mirror. Or could have been a picture on something else he had with him, eg a snack and it’s a character on the packet or a page of a newspaper, book, magazine, design on a plastic bag, sticker, case of a cd or computer game. (It was a time before phones). A logo or something could explain why it was small or even moving (eg cloth or paper or plastic might move in the wind) and it’s not unusual for a character to be pointing at the viewer.

But I am of course prepared to believe that gnomes live in woods and that ones that live near Reading would look annoyed.
I'll try and do a quick couple of sketches this week if I have time - though after 25 years, I'll be drawing memories of distortions of memories etc etc I'm still of the inclination to think it was all some kind of very convincing simulacra, rather than a hoax. Could well be right about the rock / mirror one. I always remembered the 'giant' looking like it was made out of stone or granite or some other kind of substance. The gnome could be an image on a t-shirt - or even perhaps just folds in clothes. Would be interesting to take mirrors down to woodlands to see if any interesting ssimulacra turn up again.

Would be interesting to take mirrors down to woodlands to see if any interesting ssimulacra turn up again.

If I were in the area I would be up for that! :D

If I were in the area I would be up for that! :D
Try here:
DSCF3397 - Copy.JPG

Blimey coal you got one. I can see it inside the tree with its tongue out !

I am pretty sure I have previously written up my gnome/ Nisse story, but cannot see it here.

This is it in short. It was the day of Diana of Wales funeral my husband was watching this whilst our children were playing upstairs. I could not bear to watch those little boys following the coffin down the mall so decamped to the back garden with a newspaper and a rug to sit on.

This was a rented house with a very dark overgrown garden, There was a huge dense privet hedge separating from next door, in order to let in some light I had hacked back some of the lower levels leaving the stems bare with a bit of an overhang over some scrubby grass and earth. I sat a little to one side of this monstrosity looking towards the house, in case the kids came out.

I was not really reading the paper but flicking through just pondering the sadness of life. I noticed movements out of the corner of my eye, thinking it was a blackbird looking for grubs in the newly exposed area under the hedges; I slowly turned to look and saw a small "man" clad in what looked like coarse brown and dark green clothes, with a long droopy hat. Initially I thought her had a sack on his bag but it was a mouse, he was holding it over his shoulder by his tail.

I thought he was muttering to himself- but it could have been birds. When he became aware of me he scowled and definitely looked like he was swearing and scuttled through the hedge presumably into next doors even more overgrown garden. I can think of nothing that I could have seen that could have been mistaken for a gnome at such close quarters

The whole encounter lasted less than 5 minutes- I was too gobsmacked to react but definitely awake

I am pretty sure I have previously written up my gnome/ Nisse story, but cannot see it here.

This is it in short. It was the day of Diana of Wales funeral my husband was watching this whilst our children were playing upstairs. I could not bear to watch those little boys following the coffin down the mall so decamped to the back garden with a newspaper and a rug to sit on.

This was a rented house with a very dark overgrown garden, There was a huge dense privet hedge separating from next door, in order to let in some light I had hacked back some of the lower levels leaving the stems bare with a bit of an overhang over some scrubby grass and earth. I sat a little to one side of this monstrosity looking towards the house, in case the kids came out.

I was not really reading the paper but flicking through just pondering the sadness of life. I noticed movements out of the corner of my eye, thinking it was a blackbird looking for grubs in the newly exposed area under the hedges; I slowly turned to look and saw a small "man" clad in what looked like coarse brown and dark green clothes, with a long droopy hat. Initially I thought her had a sack on his bag but it was a mouse, he was holding it over his shoulder by his tail.

I thought he was muttering to himself- but it could have been birds. When he became aware of me he scowled and definitely looked like he was swearing and scuttled through the hedge presumably into next doors even more overgrown garden. I can think of nothing that I could have seen that could have been mistaken for a gnome at such close quarters

The whole encounter lasted less than 5 minutes- I was too gobsmacked to react but definitely awake

Brilliant account. Also common, (as far as they can be), of Gnomes getting pissed off when spotted by a person. That little bit really made it for me. Thanks!

This is incredible! Did you ever see him again? How much bigger was he than the mouse, guessing be must have been quite a bit bigger to have it over his shoulder (am thinking like a person with a bag)? Was he dishevelled or clean looking? Fabulous encounter!

I wonder why they get so angry?
If you check out Wellesley Tudor Pole's books, and especially the selection of his letters published as Dear Alexias, there are many references to this English seer's assigned helper, a nature spirit (i.e. fairy/gnome etc.) and his short temper. He would get almost insanely annoyed if WTP was a bit slow to grasp what the being was trying to show him.

Maybe the grumpiness (as in one of the 7th dwarves now I come to think of it) is an old, cultural association. .?

There is this spell in the Anglo Saxon text, Lacnunga:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Against_a_Dwarf

Where dwarves (the word for these little earth spirits in both Old Norse and Old English) seem to be the personification of night terrors or some kind of disease. ie: They have an old history in our culture, of being somehow a negative, scary thing. I suppose a being that has a face like a slapped arse would be the modern equivalent.

On a related note, passed through Cottingley this week. No fairies.

With all the nature-cams going out there, night vision cameras, security cameras, hedgehog cameras, people having Go-Pros on their dogs, why aren't there more pictures of gnomes?

the gnome videos from Middle/South America
You say this like it's a thing
potato cams
You also say this like it's also a thing. If hedgehog cameras record the social interactions of hedgehogs, I can see only limited appeal for watching potatoes (though, based upon the precept of infinite universal perversions, someone somewhere is getting off on dirty nude potato skins)

You say this like it's a thing

You also say this like it's also a thing. If hedgehog cameras record the social interactions of hedgehogs, I can see only limited appeal for watching potatoes (though, based upon the precept of infinite universal perversions, someone somewhere is getting off on dirty nude potato skins)
I am not saying I believe in it do I. But yes, they are a thing in that part of the world.
"Potato cams" refer to all those badly taken photos/recorded videos typically of UFOs and other paranormal things. You will usually find comments about potato cams in (you guessed it) the video's comment section on YT.

I am not saying I believe in it do I. But yes, they are a thing in that part of the world.
"Potato cams" refer to all those badly taken photos/recorded videos typically of UFOs and other paranormal things. You will usually find comments about potato cams in (you guessed it) the video's comment section on YT.
Ah. Hence the expression 'Monster Mash'.

Ah. Hence the expression 'Monster Mash'.
May I be the first of 73,450 over-40 Brits who immediately thought of this, to post this:

or, alternatively, this:

Sorry, I meant I didn't even know the cameras themselves were a 'thing', for that purpose, in that place. As for the gnomes, well, of course they are real.

And as for the "potato cameras"- I had never heard this term before. Something new every day, you learn. And me also (after all, I was born last century, so I'm a bittie auld-gettn)

Last edited:
May I be the first of 73,450 over-40 Brits who immediately thought of this, to post this:

or, alternatively, this:

Sorry, I meant I didn't even know the cameras themselves were a 'thing', for that purpose, in that place. As for the gnomes, well, of course they are real.

The videos, not the cameras.

In the Herbert 'Railway Ghosts' book there is an account of a gnome - or more accurately half a gnome - appearing in a carriage.He apparently looked unhappy as well. That book in general hits about 7 out of 10 on my horsefeathersometer.

Back