• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Photographs Of Gnomes

With all the nature-cams going out there, night vision cameras, security cameras, hedgehog cameras, people having Go-Pros on their dogs, why aren't there more pictures of gnomes?
Because like all other otherworldly manisfestations - such as ghosts, loch Ness monsters, big foots etc - they seem to sense and avoid cameras! It's an oft mentioned phenomenon.

I also think these things somehow need a human psyche to manifest, but I haven't fully fleshed-out that theory yet.

either that or they dont exist in a way that can be captured on camera ... or at all !
Yet this whole thread revolves around people who think they have photographs of them?

Hi Henry, David- I estimate the gnome to have been about 8 inches high. I was on the ground so looking at him rather than down on him. The mouse seemed dead, slung over the shoulder like a rubbish bag with the tail as a handle.

I am saying him because it looked like a male- grubby and a bit whiskery.

potato cam was new to me too- many of my photos could have been taken with one.

Walters Ash- near high Wycombe.

We were living in married quarters at the time- hence the overgrown hedges and gloomy garden. House was a bit grim too.

and it ... moved and walked in the manner of a human ? walked away into the hedgery hawking its dead mouse swag ?

and it ... moved and walked in the manner of a human ? walked away into the hedgery hawking its dead mouse swag ?
This ‘walking like a human ‘ is what makes many of the previous video’s suspicious to me.
They would not have the body weight of a ‘human’, so they wouldn’t galumph around like you see in fantasy films and children’s animations.
To me, many of the before videos looked like human ‘Mocap’ on computer models.

Hi Henry, David- I estimate the gnome to have been about 8 inches high. I was on the ground so looking at him rather than down on him. The mouse seemed dead, slung over the shoulder like a rubbish bag with the tail as a handle.

I am saying him because it looked like a male- grubby and a bit whiskery.

This sounds, to me, much-more like a Borrower (ie a tiny human, imaginery or otherwise). Gnomes have tended to be represented as being largely contemplative, sitting smoking clay pipes, and providing the odd epigrammatic quip.

Did Mary Norton write about Borrowers on an entirely-imagined basis, or with any collective background folk belief in their existence? (in some semi-corporeal form).

Gnomes might be said to display some kind of a work-ethic, but it's normally artisanal or extractive: not poaching or collecting corpses.

This sounds, to me, much-more like a Borrower (ie a tiny human, imaginery or otherwise). Gnomes have tended to be represented as being largely contemplative, sitting smoking clay pipes, and providing the odd epigrammatic quip.

Did Mary Norton write about Borrowers on an entirely-imagined basis, or with any collective background folk belief in their existence? (in some semi-corporeal form).

Gnomes might be said to display some kind of a work-ethic, but it's normally artisanal or extractive: not poaching or collecting corpses.
There does seem to be a consistency in reports of small brown faced gnomes. 'BB' wrote about 'Nomes' based on his own sighting(s) along these lines and it's a 'sort' of sighting that crops up in the "Seeing Fairies" compilation of sightings. It's interesting that sightings do seem to sort into several distinct 'types'. One day I'll SQL that book and see what we can see.

Yet this whole thread revolves around people who think they have photographs of them?
Human was present and taking the photos though, and saw nothing at the time...

So rules may be; yes can be caught on camera, but only if human is there taking the photo, and doesn't see them. Like ghosts!

Other phenomenon may vary.

Human was present and taking the photos though, and saw nothing at the time...

So rules may be; yes can be caught on camera, but only if human is there taking the photo, and doesn't see them. Like ghosts!

Other phenomenon may vary.

Sounds like the game I used to play with my brother when we were both very small. If he closed his eyes, I was invisible...

I am not saying I believe in it do I. But yes, they are a thing in that part of the world.
"Potato cams" refer to all those badly taken photos/recorded videos typically of UFOs and other paranormal things. You will usually find comments about potato cams in (you guessed it) the video's comment section on YT.
Is it because they are as clear as potato prints?

Going off to reread. Thank you!
This is from "Down the Bright Stream"
old_apple.jpg

Not sure but I assumed they were kind of based on brownies/boggarts - not the scouting movement type, but the house or common garden variety elf type thing, of folklore.

J.C. Johnson was doing some work [investigations] on a Indian reservation in Minn on little people so I know for sure that they do exists. Just make sure you carry some leaf tobacco in case you do find them as a gesture of good faith. Otherwise you may not return from your venture into the forest...[411- David Paulides]....

Attachments

• littlepeople-jc1b.JPG
    littlepeople-jc1b.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 57
@Eyespy genuine question, did you get chance to watch it walk away with the mouse, how did it move, behave etc ? or did it vanish into the hedge forthwith

This has puzzled me for a while. I was going to post it before, but the whole thing seemed so absurd I deleted it.
Anyway, here goes...
Back in 1993 I was an art student in Langley - East Berkshire College to give it it's proper name. It was a one year arts foundation course, and over the first term we got to do a small 'taster' of different disciplines - fine art, graphic design, textiles. One of these tasters was photography - and in the days before digital photography, this involved dark rooms, chemicals, rolls of negatives etc... The project that we were set was to do with mirrors. I dutifully took my mirror out into the back garden of the house in which I rented a room, leaned it against the fence, nestled it amongst weeds and took some very uninspired photographs.
I wasn't particularly good at photography and all its associated arcane darkroom practises, so somehow got one of my classmates to develop my film for me while I went and had a coffee and cigarette downstairs. At some point someone came down, and said that I should really check my negatives - as both myself and another friend, whom we'll call 'Andy' - had 'loads of figures' on them.
Somewhat puzzled by this, as there was no-one about when I took the photographs, I returned to the dark room and looked on the negatives. There certainly did seem to be a figure sat in a chair. Hard to tell as it was in negative. I set about developing the photograph, suddenly excited at the possibility of accidentally capturing a ghost...
...which of course turned out to be a disappointing case of simulacra in the weeds and plants surrounding the mirror.
Oh well.
Andy's turned out to be quite different.
He had taken his mirror out to some local woods near where he lived in Reading - rested the mirror in streams, on tree branches etc. Looking at his photographs as he developed them, it became apparent there seemed to be a number of figures in the photographs - actually in the mirror itself. I only remember two of the photographs - though I think there were more. One photograph seemed to show what appeared to be a slightly blurry image of what appeared to be a gnome - rather like a garden gnome - big nose, hat etc. Except this gnome looked pretty pissed off - pissed off and surprised - and pointing an angry figure toward the camera. The other one I recall (I think this may have been the mirror laid in a shallow stream) showed the head and shoulders of a 'giant' 'lifting' itself out of the mirror. I say 'giant' but that's not really accurate (and after a distance of 25 years, I really don't think 'accurate' is a term I can use for any of this) - imagine a very rudimentary head and shoulders sculpted out of rock or granite. I think the thing may have had a nose / eyes / mouth - but it was all very basic.
I really can't describe quite how strange these photographs seemed. Andy - very sceptical and unbelieving of anything supernatural - seemed a little bit shaken up by this - protesting his innocence, and saying there was nothing even remotely odd when he took the photographs.
We went downstairs for a coffee. The darkroom we left unlocked - was always left unlocked. When we returned to the darkroom a short while later, all of Andy's negatives and photographs were gone. We turned the darkroom upside down looking for them - nothing. They turned up again the next week - except all the photographs and negatives showing the figures were missing.
It sounds utterly ridiculous doesn't it? Even now, writing it, the whole thing seems utterly absurd and completely unbelievable. I'm not in contact with any of the people involved any more - I have no idea where the wood was that Andy took the photographs. Maybe it really was a hoax? (The thing I'm probably most certain of it not being a hoax is that nobody 'owned' up to it - and Andy's puzzled, slightly embarrassed - almost a bit angry - reaction seemed very genuine). Perhaps it was just a case of simulacra after all, as it had been in my photographs? These weren't high definition photographs taken with a digital camera after all - but the first uncertain forays into black and white photography by inexperienced art students. Plenty of scope for accidental patterns to appear. Then the photographs disappear, and turn up again later on? With all the photographs showing any 'evidence' conveniently gone?
It all seems a bit too story-shaped to me - a nice twist in the tale to give some sense of closure (too much like the denouement of those ghostly hitchhiker tales to me). It's been 25 years since those photographs now, and I think what might - probably - happened was that my imagination filled in those gaps in my memory over the years - made those gnomes and figures more real - added in the disappearance and appearance of those negatives / photographs, (except they did disappear though - but did the other photographs / negatives really turn up again?)
I don't trust my memory on this. I don't believe my own story - but this is what I remember happening anyway. I'm on the verge of deleting it again now, because having read through it, it just seems so absurd, so I'm going to post this before I change my mind.

Well i for one do believe you i honestly do.There are things in this world of ours that can not be explained of what we witness.I for one quite a while ago while on a bus in Leeds saw what looked to me to be a very small man sat in a hedgerow with his legs crossed while smoking a long thin pipe with a grin on his face(was i seeing something that wasn't really there,a Leprechaun.I know what i saw,i honestly do )It was here on this stretch of road
2019-02-03 (4).png

Back