• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Charles Fort's Grave

You people are too obsessed with the guy. To start doing pilgrimages is really overdoing it.

Just a random musing on the nature of philosophers with followings like this...

Fort was reluctant to join the Fortean Society set up in his honour. Marx claimed that, based on French Marxist groups, he was not a Marxist.

I wonder if Jesus would consider himself a Christian, with all the beliefs and ideas that go with it?

If I'm ever passing New York I may stop in at Charlie's grave. Not so much a pilgrimage, just to say hello, like. And wouldn't it be interesting to find it covered in a small puddle of dead and stunned sardines...

JC was Jewish (allegedly).
I bet Charlie isn't even in there. He's probably off in the fourth dimension, doing whatever they do over there. Possibly involving sardines. You never know.

That whole JC was Jewish thing seems stupid. How could he be anything else? Why can't people understand that?

However using the thing he was tortured and killed on as a symbol he might not like. He'd probably prefer the fish.

Most Christian teachings would be entirely unacceptable in a Jewish context, would they not?

Philosophers with followings like what? I wasn't being serious, honest!

Actually, in the three and a half years since Fort's grave was added to that database only one person has 'left flowers' and that was anonymously with no message.

-J

That Find A Grave site is odd.

Try looking up some famous serial killers, and you'll see that, though they are listed, their virtual flowers have been disabled due to "inappropriate eulogies."

Raymond Fort

With reference to Charles and Anna Fort's grave, who is Raymond Fort??

I didn't know they had any children? Or is Raymond some other Fort? Brother?

Who?

http://www.forteana.org/aboutfort/fortbiog.html
Charles Fort was born into a fairly prosperous family of Dutch immigrants who owned a wholesale grocery business in Albany, New York State. He was the eldest of three brothers - the others being Clarence, and the youngest, Raymond. Their mother died within a few years of Clarence's birth and Fort's father married again during Fort's teens.

-J

6th August, Charles Fort day? Everyone has to do something weird. :D

Like spend the day sat in a library searching through newspapers for clippings.

-J

sifting through old newspapers

I've done this. I was doing some Fortean research, and went through only about half a weeks papers in two hours! Microfiche, admittedly, but still...!

I wonder how many Forteans read their local papers? I don't often read mine, and I wonder what Fortean gems I'm missing!

A few years ago I was doing some research on a haunted house in Falmouth, and spent a HUGE amount of time going through the micro-fiches of the local paper in the library.

I found very little that was relevent to the house in question, but plenty of other fortean tit-bits! One day I must go back and collect them.

I don't so much as read them as skim the headlines, which are usually more than descriptive.

I go to the library and do the whole lot in one go. Each month of each daily local -there's two- takes about an hour and a half to get through including the photocopying.

Examples of the type of stuff I've been finding can be found here, headlines only now I'm afaid:

http://www.geocities.com/lab_lav/glos.html

while reading this forum, i was struck by something we may all have missed. the christian fish symbol. think there may be any connection to Fort's rains?

Jesus told the fishermen brothers, "I will make you fishers of men", and this, presumably, is where the xtian fish comes from.

Fort's fish fell out of the (frequently cloudless) sky.

I, personally, don't see a connection.

(Unless God's sense of humour is even more warped than I previously thought! :D )

thanks, Derekh. i had a feeling i might be stretching it a bit. truthfully, the scientific realm of Fort and the mystical Christian realm are very far apart, indeed. (i mean really, do you think Jesus would have wanted anything to do w/ a book called the Book of the Damned?)

Amishaman said:
(i mean really, do you think Jesus would have wanted anything to do w/ a book called the Book of the Damned?)

God works in mysterious ways (or so I've been told..... by the Sunday School teacher who murdered his wife, now I come to think about it.......)

:confused:

DerekH said:
Jesus told the fishermen brothers, "I will make you fishers of men", and this, presumably, is where the xtian fish comes from.

The Christian fish symbol is a Vesica Piscis, which is made by intersecting two circles that share the same radius.
vp2.jpg

One circle reprents the realm of God (the spirit) and one circle represents the realm of Man (the body). Since Christ came to reconcile man to God, he is at the intersection between the two. Since the figure resembles a fish, it is called a piscis. Christians have mistakenly used the 'fishers of men' line as the reason for the fish symbol. They are wrong.:nonplus:

CaliCrackDealer said:
The Christian fish symbol is a Vesica Piscis, which is made by intersecting two circles that share the same radius.
vp2.jpg

One circle reprents the realm of God (the spirit) and one circle represents the realm of Man (the body). Since Christ came to reconcile man to God, he is at the intersection between the two. Since the figure resembles a fish, it is called a piscis. Christians have mistakenly used the 'fishers of men' line as the reason for the fish symbol. They are wrong.:nonplus:
And, not necessarily coincidentally, it looks like a woman's vagina. Hence the original symbol, apparently. Go figure.

There's a thread about it somewhere. ;)

Wouldn't it be funny if the homosexual culture refered to women as 'fish' because of this!:eek:

Lovely photos.

Did the frogs fall from the sky? :D

Back