• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Photos You Need To Really Look At To Understand

Thank you @escargot ! A house for sale: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130515719#/?channel=RES_BUY

One of the pictures:
View attachment 62523

Which is fine, more than fine really. What is in the brick cubby to the right?

When you enlarge the brick cubby you do see something rather interesting. I can't help but interpret it as a statue of Anubis. Or is that just my over-active imagination?

anubis.jpg
anubis2.jpeg

Don't tell @catseye for heavens sake, but......
View attachment 62554
Too late! My main query with that room is - are you meant to sit outside the door to watch the TV?

I like well placed, impromptu stairs, me.

And I have tiled floors throughout downstairs. Not necessarily my choice, they came with the house, but they are practical to clean with a muddy dog and make you realise how much muck is sucked up by carpets.

Too late! My main query with that room is - are you meant to sit outside the door to watch the TV?
Like being at the pictures.

And I have tiled floors throughout downstairs. Not necessarily my choice, they came with the house, but they are practical to clean with a muddy dog and make you realise how much muck is sucked up by carpets.
Yes, carpets are so unhygenic especially if you have pets. I do understand though, as @Austin Popper said, some people don't like the 'coldness' of them and some dogs can't walk on them either.
I took the carpet up by the front door a few years ago and found lovely tiles that I'm certain are original 1901, yet look like they were laid yesterday. Our old dog couldn't grip on them, but this one, who has known nothing else there has no problems.

Like being at the pictures.

Yes, carpets are so unhygenic especially if you have pets. I do understand though, as @Austin Popper said, some people don't like the 'coldness' of them and some dogs can't walk on them either.
I took the carpet up by the front door a few years ago and found lovely tiles that I'm certain are original 1901, yet look like they were laid yesterday. Our old dog couldn't grip on them, but this one, who has known nothing else there has no problems.
Y'see, I am torn.

I see how much filth gets mopped daily (well, I say daily, pick an amount of time between once a day and every six months...) from the tiles and then imagine that being trapped in a carpet, plus muddy paws and wee and all the other concomitants of owning a dog and carpets would be pointless and disgusting. But then I have to sit on the floor, or come down in bare feet and I wish for the cosiness and easy-hoover-'clean' of carpets. Plus the echo can be hard to bear too, I have rugs everywhere but there's still a certain tonal quality that sounds like having a conversation at the bottom of a bucket.

You clean the floors with a muddy dog?

Thank you @escargot ! A house for sale: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130515719#/?channel=RES_BUY

Which is fine, more than fine really. What is in the brick cubby to the right?

The kitchen brownie.

Don't tell @catseye for heavens sake, but......
View attachment 62554

I noticed the chest right in front of the door. Can you imagine walking into the room in the dark? Some of the pics certainly were taken at weird angles.

The kitchen brownie.

I noticed the chest right in front of the door. Can you imagine walking into the room in the dark? Some of the pics certainly were taken at weird angles.
Look, this is how things are done here- if it's not awkward, incompetent or stupid it's not worth doing. That's why today, having had a full inch of snow, the whole town ground to a halt. Buses didn't turn up, traffic was at a standstill and it was chaos and anarchy all round. The dog and I even had to rescue a woman who had somehow got her van stuck across both lanes of the main road due to the horrendously 'deep' one inch snowdrift.
If that chest wasn't there, how on earth would you be able to stub your toe on it at 3am? Eh?
This is Britain woman- wheels fall off things, if the temperature goes below 5c or above 22c, we can't handle it, trains break down every 2 miles, everyone is an alcoholic, and we're taught how to stub your toe on furniture from a very early age. It should be an Olympic sport. We might win a few medals then.

Y'see, I am torn.

I see how much filth gets mopped daily (well, I say daily, pick an amount of time between once a day and every six months...) from the tiles and then imagine that being trapped in a carpet, plus muddy paws and wee and all the other concomitants of owning a dog and carpets would be pointless and disgusting. But then I have to sit on the floor, or come down in bare feet and I wish for the cosiness and easy-hoover-'clean' of carpets. Plus the echo can be hard to bear too, I have rugs everywhere but there's still a certain tonal quality that sounds like having a conversation at the bottom of a bucket.
You don't really have to sit on the floor though do you? And the 'echo-ness' problem can be sorted with a few rugs.
As for the mud and wee, we all warned you not to take Trev in as a lodger.

This is Britain woman- wheels fall off things, if the temperature goes below 5c or above 22c, we can't handle it, trains break down every 2 miles, everyone is an alcoholic, and we're taught how to stub your toe on furniture from a very early age. It should be an Olympic sport. We might win a few medals then.
Yup, look at this horror. How this Pendolino reached Euston through that blizzard I'll never know.

Attachments

• Snow on Pendo at Euston.jpg
    Snow on Pendo at Euston.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 45
You don't really have to sit on the floor though do you? And the 'echo-ness' problem can be sorted with a few rugs.
As for the mud and wee, we all warned you not to take Trev in as a lodger.
Cover the walls in tapestries, art work and decorative tea towels. Stuff on the walls does help.
I have rugs and pictures up, but because downstairs is basically one big tiled room (bathroom is off to one side but living room and kitchen just lead off one another), and the bathroom is fully tiled, kitchen is half-tiled walls, all together it makes one big echo chamber. Furniture and rugs help but unless I put rugs down on ALL floors (when I may as well have fitted carpet) the sound still bounces.

On the up side, singing in my shower is FABULOUS!

Look, this is how things are done here- if it's not awkward, incompetent or stupid it's not worth doing. That's why today, having had a full inch of snow, the whole town ground to a halt. Buses didn't turn up, traffic was at a standstill and it was chaos and anarchy all round. The dog and I even had to rescue a woman who had somehow got her van stuck across both lanes of the main road due to the horrendously 'deep' one inch snowdrift.
If that chest wasn't there, how on earth would you be able to stub your toe on it at 3am? Eh?
On the Fylde coast we hardly ever get snow but same as you we got an inch covering and the place ground to a halt. Even today with a light sprinkling there were multiple crashes on the M55. Down to the fact that unused to snow people don't know how to react.

On the Fylde coast we hardly ever get snow but same as you we got an inch covering and the place ground to a halt. Even today with a light sprinkling there were multiple crashes on the M55. Down to the fact that unused to snow people don't know how to react.
Yes. The number of people I've seen thrashing the heck out of their cars in first gear and then wondering why the front wheels are just spinning is unbelievable. Get it in 2nd, or even 3rd as soon as you can and gently accelerate. Also breaking- don't just slam the brakes on- gently dab the brakes on and off- and leave a decent gap between you and the car in front. Simples!

Yes. The number of people I've seen thrashing the heck out of their cars in first gear and then wondering why the front wheels are just spinning is unbelievable. Get it in 2nd, or even 3rd as soon as you can and gently accelerate. Also breaking- don't just slam the brakes on- gently dab the brakes on and off- and leave a decent gap between you and the car in front. Simples!
I was at work a couple of years ago (we haven't had any snow this winter, so far) and a couple of inches of snow had fallen. Our place is right by a roundabout, and it was amusing to see how many people came shooting up to the roundabout, found that they were, contrary to their opinion, NOT the only car on the road, and had to try to slow down.

This is North Yorkshire. We don't slow down for anything. (Watching them on ice is also amusing, as long as your car is safely parked up somewhere out of the way).

Parts of North Yorkshire have had no snow. Like where I live.
Yep, it came in from the East both times and people ten miles down the road had feet of the stuff. Not so much as a sprinkle here.

:rofl:

Back