• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Photos You Need To Really Look At To Understand

There was an episode of The John Larroquette Show, a rather dark sitcom about a bus terminal, in which many people saw a miraculous face of Jesus on a wall outside the terminal building. It turned out to be an old Willie Nelson poster that was painted over.
Haha! That's brilliant! I don't suppose the headline 'WOMAN FINDS WILLIE NELSON IN HER PIZZA' would have quite the same effect.

There was an episode of The John Larroquette Show, a rather dark sitcom about a bus terminal, in which many people saw a miraculous face of Jesus on a wall outside the terminal building. It turned out to be an old Willie Nelson poster that was painted over.

Some smokers in the U.S. buy their cigarettes on Indian reservations, where they are exempt from the high taxes. Supposedly only tribal members should be allowed to buy them, but most shops don't bother to check. I imagine the purchasers don't go out of their way to settle up with the taxing authorities either.
I currently pay £11 for 50 grams of Gold Leaf tobacco. If I was buying it legally, it would be roughly £30. UK high taxes on it take the piss frankly.

It's probably to do with the emotional context.
I used to sniff cut grass with fond memories of sitting on school fields at Break with my mates.

It was special to me because my first school had just a yard, no greenery.

Later we had a very sad family funeral in July when the council were mowing, so that's what the smell evokes now. :(
I remember attending an uncle's funeral - a long time ago, and the local Farmer was in the process of muck-spreading. Totally Unforgettable!

1685049412154.png

I didn't know there were any Indian reservations near Cromer.

We better get back to topic before the mods get after us!
People buy tobacco abroad to bring back and sell cheaper than shop prices. It's illegal of course.
Not a smoker myself but I still know lots of sources in town and at work.
Some well-paid colleagues sell bent tobacco. It's madness because they'd out on their ears if someone blabbed.

But did you notice that you can't see anything like a nose? It should be forefront of the *** I can't make it out at all and it should be somewhat noticeable around her glasses.
I didn't pick up on what you meant at first.

You can just see the top of her nose under the left arm of the glasses with the left nose pad resting on it, and I think the top of the nose is visible under her left eyelid.

I think it could be hidden behind the left lens of the sunglasses, though there's no way my hooter wouldn't be visible!

I didn't pick up on what you meant at first.

You can just see the top of her nose under the left arm of the glasses with the left nose pad resting on it, and I think the top of the nose is visible under her left eyelid.

I think it could be hidden behind the left lens of the sunglasses, though there's no way my hooter wouldn't be visible!
I see what you mean. I didn't look at the inside of the glasses, though I think the glasses must be sitting farther down on her nose than I first thought.

I think it could be hidden behind the left lens of the sunglasses
This illusion only works if we accept that there is a lot of twist-away from us, the viewer. Her eyebrow tells us she's nearly turned away from us completely.

We are actually seeing the perspective of looking from behind her shoulder/head (proven by us being able to detect the far-away lens of her glasses), and from a higher vantage point than expected, but our brains are deluded into perceiving a false square-on profile. Also the glasses are riding very low on her actual nose.

Screenshot_20230916_035100_Gallery.jpg

Many adult human females have very small button noses, which of course amplifies the cognitive dissonance of the elbownose. If this had been an oblique photo of an older caucasian, with more weatherbeaten skin paired with a darker or in-shadow elbow, it almost wouldn't have been a significant illusion

Last edited:
This illusion only works if we accept that there is a lot of twist-away from us, the viewer. Her eyebrow tells us she's nearly turned away from us completely.

We are actually seeing the perspective of looking from behind her shoulder/head (proven by us being able to detect the far-away lens of her glasses), and from a higher vantage point than expected, but our brains are deluded into perceiving a false square-on profile. Also the glasses are riding very low on her actual nose.

View attachment 69678

Many adult human females have very small button noses, which of course amplifies the cognitive dissonance of the elbownose. If this had been an oblique photo of an older man, with more weatherbeaten skin paired with a darker or in-shadow elbow, it almost wouldn't have been a significant illusion
I think her nose has been elbowed out! :)

Back