• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Travel Suggested / Ascribed To Explain OOPArts & Other Odd Evidence

Once again, the Daily Mail gets hold of the wrong end of the stck and starts beating about the bush with it....

Is this 1930s painting proof of time travel? Native American appears to hold a SMARTPHONE - even though it was painted seven decades before they were invented

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...painting-proof-time-travel.html#ixzz4ri9dGw84
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

A native American appears to stare at a smartphone in a mural of colonial America that dates to 1937 sparking theories it could be proof of time travel.

This baffling painting, Mr. Pynchon and the Settling of Springfield, shows a man in the foreground holding 21st century technology - yet it depicts a scene from the 17th century.

The intriguing figure has feathers in his hair and is wearing a white loin clothe - but is holding the mystery object just like modern people hold smartphones.

438CEAB500000578-0-image-a-3_1503667914988.jpg

This 17th century painting, Mr. Pynchon and the Settling of Springfield, shows a man in the foreground holding what appears to be a smartphone

THE MYSTERY OBJECT
This 17th century painting, Mr. Pynchon and the Settling of Springfield, shows a man in the foreground holding what appears to be a smartphone.

The painting itself pre-dates the iPhone by nearly seven decades.

The artist, Romano, who died in 1982, did not make any specific comments about this intriguing figure.

Some experts say it could be an iron blade.

Others say the man is holding a religious texts.

Historian Daniel Brown believes the mystery object is in fact a mirror - which was used widely after it was introduced in the 17th century.

However, Dr Bruchac said it was more likely to be an iron blade, commenting that the painting was of a 'romanticized artistic genre' which made it hard to tell.

Although some believe this could be a sign that people could travel back in time historian Daniel Brown believes the mystery object is in fact a mirror - which was used widely after it was introduced in the 17th century.

438CEAB500000578-0-image-m-7_1503669077463.jpg

The intriguing figure has feathers in his hair and is wearing a white loin clothe - but is holding the mystery object just like modern people hold smartphone.
The man has feathers in his hair and appears to be wearing a white loin clothe - but is holding an object that looks strikingly like a smartphone (stock image)

'To put it in the kindliest possible terms, Romano's so-called 'abstract' aesthetic was willfully ambiguous,' Dr Crown told Motherboard.

At the time, Americans were intrigued by the idea of the noble savage.

'Given the scene's focus on the founding of Springfield, Romano, in reductive fashion, was probably trying to capture the introduction of modernity into a curious but technologically stunted community, which was instantly bewitched by Pynchon's treasure trove of shiny objects', he said.

Another possibility is that the man is holding a religious texts.

Dr Crown believes it could be a one of the gospels.

'These did exist at the time and were roughly the same rectangular shape', he said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...painting-proof-time-travel.html#ixzz4ri9A2Nz8

Of course there are the old stories of traders ripping off Native American tribes of their valuables in exchange for beads and mirrors. This depicts a trader. The subject is probably looking into a mirror.
Of course this doesn't appeal to people who wish to lead more dramatic lives and uncover many fascinating mysteries and conspiracies* in their day to day lives.

*aka Bollocks.
Yeah, it's a mirror. Popular trading item with native Americans.

The mural is a highly symbolic mash-up of events surrounding the Euro-intrusion into western Massachusetts. The Native American holding the anomalous black rectangular thingie (which most definitely _isn't_ a mobile phone) is sitting in a coffin-shaped tub with some jugs. Just behind this tub is a group of barrels marked 'XXX' - the cliched Prohibition Era symbol of booze casks. The seated Indian is holding out his left hand in a classic gesture of rejection / rebuttal.

It's known that Pynchon and other early settlers distributed Gospel and other Xtian pamphlets to the natives as well as their fellow settlers. In addition, Pynchon is known for having maintained peaceful trading relations with the natives, in contrast to the harsh exploitative approaches taken by other successful colonists. One of the leading ways to cheat and generally disrupt the Indians was to give them alcohol.

The most straightforward interpretation is that it's a symbolic representation of Xtian-izing the natives and influencing them to reject the Demon Alcohol being employed to screw them up and screw them over.

Alternatively, it's an even more abstract symbolization of the seated Indian seeing himself in the trade mirror and realizing he should reject the Demon Rum.

The bloke on the top right is obviously giving him the selfie stick so that he can take a selfie.

Sadly IMDB is unable to provide any clarification on this point :shy:

Now, I'm absolutely sure this is fake, but it's still a nicely produced, anomalous image of someone who really doesn't fit in.

GyH4R.png

stu edit - title altered to be more explanatory

Oh this is the photo of the bridge opening, isn't it. I'm not sure about the alleged time traveller, I'm more puzzled why Walter Skinner is there:

upload_2018-5-4_21-17-41.png
upload_2018-5-4_21-19-9.png

:D

Not for me. All I see is "open this in Apple News", which I guess is an app that I don't have.
Sorry I was worried about that. It usually has an open in a browser option but I couldn’t find it. I’ll see if I can find it elsewhere.

View attachment 5368 This fascinates me. It all started for me with the woman at the Charlie Chaplin premiere. I know people have explained it away as a hearing aid. But to me she's reacting to something and there's no one with her.
Then there's the girl above looks like she's on the phone. She could just be holding something to her face, but why? She looks too happy to have tooth ache.

And this one is a new one on me.

But you'd think if you were a time traveller you'd keep it quiet wouldn't you?

Excellent thread, and good to know that I have hitherto gone unnoticed in the Charlie Chaplain video..

I've only got as far as page 1, I'll read the other pages tomorrow. I've seen some of these videos before and although they looked intriguing, it doesn't make sense that they'd be able to use a mobile phone back then, as others have said. (I will admit its slightly confusing when the person seems to be talking, as I couldn't accept the 'hearing aid' explanation because why would they be talking to it?) But there are some excellent explanations here.

The factor that bothers me most is the apparent lack of knowledge / familiarity concerning fashions, lifestyles, and apparatus from the past - even from past years / decades in the observer's own lifespan. Modern lifestyles have so swamped folks' senses with the 'now' they can't see anything without filtering it through current factors and features. A related problem - particularly among younger people - is the conceit that what (little ... ) they know / see in the present was never known / seen in earlier eras.

Very good point. Reminds me of a picture I saw online somewhere (a painting, can't remember its name) but the person who had uploaded it thought the lady in the painting was reading an iPad. :rolleyes:

(It's also something which annoys me to no end when I read The Professionals fanfiction. I all-too-often come across a story where Bodie is calling Doyle on his mobile (or vice-versa). For crying out loud.)

(Sorry, just had to vent there).

This thread is being established to contain discussions relating to the specific notion of time travel being presumed, or at least suggested, as the explanation for (e.g.) OOPArts, anomalous items discerned in photos, and other such strange evidence.

The primary thread on OOPArts per se remains:

OOPArts: Out Of Place Artefacts & Archaeological Erratics
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...lace-artefacts-archaeological-erratics.38695/

This is clearly just someone having a scratch behind his ear but let's pretend it's a time traveller with a mobile phone anyway ..

atimetravel001.jpg

I think people who are smart enough to Time travel are probably smart enough to not get caught?

But of course they will be Quantum Physicists so who knows?

If we assume anyone who is holding their hand near to their head is talking on a cell phone, with todays technology, anyone in an old piece of footage walking and talking can now be seen as using a mobile hands free?

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere, or not, but I would expect that the best places to look for evidence of time travellers would be at the sites of events of historic significance.
I mean, If I had a time travel machine I wouldn't be much interested in travelling back to Slough in 1957 on a Tuesday evening in December.

It would be much more interesting to go back to, say, Dealey Plaza on November 22nd, 1963.

So bearing that in mind (and I think I probably read this somewhere) it opens up the possibility that the Titanic actually sank because of the excessive weight of all the time travellers who had gone back to witness it sinking!

So how about looking in the footage from September 11th 2001 in New York for anomalous attendees?
Or indeed any other events of importance that would interest future historians?
Surely the current pandemic would be of interest to some (Particularly medical historians - maybe there are some time-travelling doctors lurking around hospitals? And no, NOT that doctor).

So for any sort of proof to be found, what we're really relying upon, is a particularly butter-fingered, or absent minded, person from the future coming back and accidentally leaving something behind.
Maybe then a wallet from the future dropping out of the back pocket of some time-traveller who was caught short in a current hospital, and went for a turn-out, not realising that his pocket had also turned-out it's contents onto the floor of the carsey?

Having read through all of this thread I haven't seen the JFK shooting mentioned and I'm sure there are some reports of a guy with a much more modern video camera in the crowd, but I think that is from some years ago, and let's face it, how often do you see anyone with a camera these days when mobile phones do everything?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere, or not, but I would expect that the best places to look for evidence of time travellers would be at the sites of events of historic significance.
I mean, If I had a time travel machine I wouldn't be much interested in travelling back to Slough in 1957 on a Tuesday evening in December.

It would be much more interesting to go back to, say, Dealey Plaza on November 22nd, 1963.

So bearing that in mind (and I think I probably read this somewhere) it opens up the possibility that the Titanic actually sank because of the excessive weight of all the time travellers who had gone back to witness it sinking!

So how about looking in the footage from September 11th 2001 in New York for anomalous attendees?
Or indeed any other events of importance that would interest future historians?
Surely the current pandemic would be of interest to some (Particularly medical historians - maybe there are some time-travelling doctors luring around hospitals? And no, NOT that doctor).

So for any sort of proof to be found, what we're really relying upon, is a particularly butter-fingered, or absent minded, person from the future coming back and accidentally leaving something behind.
Maybe then a wallet from the future dropping out of the back pocket of some time-traveller who was caught short in a current hospital, and went for a turn-out, not realising that his pocket had also turned-out it's contents onto the floor of the carsey?

Having read through all of this thread I haven't seen the JFK shooting mentioned and I'm sure there are some reports of a guy with a much more modern video camera in the crowd, but I think that is from some years ago, and let's face it, how often do you see anyone with a camera these days when mobile phones do everything?
It also appears these 'time travellers' are using cell phones that are now obsolete now, so this suggests we already have time travel and have had since the ericsson brick phones were popular, and the people that are being sent back (scientists i presume) are really inept, i would have thought that any good sceintist would have research the contemporary dress for the time and frequented a vintage clothes store.

Now, I'm absolutely sure this is fake, but it's still a nicely produced, anomalous image of someone who really doesn't fit in.

View attachment 30473

stu edit - title altered to be more explanatory

Original Source: http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/sgc-cms...l&fl=0&lg=English&ex=00000470&hs=0&rd=117666#

I've never thought this was photoshopped.

I always just figured it was just a younger man amongst a crowd of older people, dressed in a more modern style than the other more traditonally-attired older folk. I think a lot of the mystery is a result of the majority of us (myself included) having no idea how young people...and maybe slightly more exotic young people, dressed in the 1940s.

Last edited:
Interesting yet mis-titled short film.

It should really be called something like "10 short stories, some of which have a slight connection with time travel, and most of which we do our best to debunk, or just tell you why they've already been proved to be fake".

I admit it's not quite as snappy a title though.

Back