• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pictures & Stories That Could Be Ghosts But Aren’t

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
I took this picture the other day and it would be such a good ghost picture if I didn’t know it was my breath.

I thought I’d share it as a comparison for supposed ghost pictures.

Attachments

• 94FF7B60-0A0E-4661-9D4C-D16358098C84.jpeg
    94FF7B60-0A0E-4661-9D4C-D16358098C84.jpeg
    357.6 KB · Views: 138
Beware. I once posted a photo on'ere of a friend of my daughter's, taken in a nightclub. My point was that it looked a bit ghostly, y'know, because of the lighting conditions making him look partly transparent, even though he was just a bloke walking past some disco fittings.

There were immediate floods of objections to my obviously fake attempt at fooling everyone with a poor fake ghost photo. Nothing I said made any difference; it was as if people couldn't read what I'd written and had just looked at the picture instead. I swear pitchforks were sharpened. Bizarre.

I took this picture the other day and it would be such a good ghost picture if I didn’t know it was my breath.

Techy and I used to walk our dogs on cold winter nights we'd sometimes use out cold breath to try to create 'ghost' photos. The results were spectacularly unconvincing. They looked like, well, vapour on a cold night.

Dunno how other people manage it - faces, human figures, ectoplasmic hands etc - but ours were rubbish. :meh:

Techy and I used to walk our dogs on cold winter nights we'd sometimes use out cold breath to try to create 'ghost' photos. The results were spectacularly unconvincing. They looked like, well, vapour on a cold night.

Dunno how other people manage it - faces, human figures, ectoplasmic hands etc - but ours were rubbish. :meh:

Perhaps you were trying too hard & the secret it to simply not try at all. Maybe.

Unfortunately I don't have it on this computer I'm currently using, but I've got a photo where my hair snuck into the frame and made some nice wispy ghost fingers waving about.

Beware. I once posted a photo on'ere of a friend of my daughter's, taken in a nightclub. My point was that it looked a bit ghostly, y'know, because of the lighting conditions making him look partly transparent, even though he was just a bloke walking past some disco fittings.

There were immediate floods of objections to my obviously fake attempt at fooling everyone with a poor fake ghost photo. Nothing I said made any difference; it was as if people couldn't read what I'd written and had just looked at the picture instead. I swear pitchforks were sharpened. Bizarre.

That is why I started a separate thread. I know some people can get a bit strange about it.

Perhaps you were trying too hard & the secret it to simply not try at all. Maybe.

Yup, entirely possible. All we did was breathe out and then click. Maybe we didn't do it artistically enough!

I did once snap a weird vapour/orb effect at home. On a photo I took of Techy there's a sort of orb/vapour snake emerging from his trouser fly.

(I first accidentally posted this in a thread about real ghosts, which I'm pretty sure this isn't :D)

Here's a pic I have on hand - the orb. It looks like I'm staring right at it, but of course nothing was visible at the time. Probably it's just pollen or dust but it makes a funny photo.
orb.jpg

I see the eerily lit figure of an animal, maybe a deer in the top right! :cskull:

(I first accidentally posted this in a thread about real ghosts, which I'm pretty sure this isn't :D)

Here's a pic I have on hand - the orb. It looks like I'm staring right at it, but of course nothing was visible at the time. Probably it's just pollen or dust but it makes a funny photo.
View attachment 13974
That's one of those lightsaber training balls isn't it master Luke? .. zzzz .. peow peow!!

Story that's been doing the rounds recently.

A mother who lost her son two years ago due to an accidental overdose believes his apparition appeared on her security camera to let her know he was ‘happy’.

Jennifer Hodge of Atlanta, Ga., was in bed watching TV with her 21-year-old daughter Lauren when she received an alert from her Nest camera, which is triggered by movement and noise, that a ‘person’ was ‘spotted’ in the entryway last week.

69fc47acb8d4117ee4a6477b665d1e9f

https://news.yahoo.com/mom-shocked-security-camera-appears-show-ghost-late-son-101250870.html

However, Kenny Biddle's done a bit of technical analysis regarding the alert/camera setup.

The Nest camera does not do well with motion and night-vision, having a lot of motion blur when people walk through the scene and are not right in front of the camera (see reviews posted in comments). The motion blur allows distortion and transparency. The Nest notification, according to reviews, only puts out an alert every 30 minutes, along with the tiny image included in the email. Without the subscription service, which she did not have at the time, the camera is nothing more than a baby cam that has to be watched Live to see anything.

Note that the notification email was sent at 11:51, but wasn't checked until almost a half-hour later (27 minutes) by the daughter (according to the claim). I don't think anyone is perpetrating a hoax, I just think they don't realize they captured a Motion Blurred image of the daughter moving through the kitchen (probably being a good kid by putting away the dishes).

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1959557990766714&id=624798874242639

Story that's been doing the rounds recently.

A mother who lost her son two years ago due to an accidental overdose believes his apparition appeared on her security camera to let her know he was ‘happy’.

Jennifer Hodge of Atlanta, Ga., was in bed watching TV with her 21-year-old daughter Lauren when she received an alert from her Nest camera, which is triggered by movement and noise, that a ‘person’ was ‘spotted’ in the entryway last week.

69fc47acb8d4117ee4a6477b665d1e9f

https://news.yahoo.com/mom-shocked-security-camera-appears-show-ghost-late-son-101250870.html

However, Kenny Biddle's done a bit of technical analysis regarding the alert/camera setup.

The Nest camera does not do well with motion and night-vision, having a lot of motion blur when people walk through the scene and are not right in front of the camera (see reviews posted in comments). The motion blur allows distortion and transparency. The Nest notification, according to reviews, only puts out an alert every 30 minutes, along with the tiny image included in the email. Without the subscription service, which she did not have at the time, the camera is nothing more than a baby cam that has to be watched Live to see anything.

Note that the notification email was sent at 11:51, but wasn't checked until almost a half-hour later (27 minutes) by the daughter (according to the claim). I don't think anyone is perpetrating a hoax, I just think they don't realize they captured a Motion Blurred image of the daughter moving through the kitchen (probably being a good kid by putting away the dishes).

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1959557990766714&id=624798874242639
Still - an interesting image I would say.

Eeek! Who needs to be scared of ghosts when there are people around! People can be so scary!

We were driving into Overstrand today when I spotted an obvious man shape cut out that was painted black in the church graveyard. I had to investigate!. Was someone trying to fake a ghost photo or was a play being put on inside the church?.

These life size figures are called Silent Silhouettes as I've discovered so expect a few people trying to pass them off as genuine ghost photos taken under more conducive lighting conditions in the future ..

afakeghost2.jpg

afakeghost3.jpg

The British Legion metal life size silhouettes available:

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/re...cohl5xFFMtM5IcO57JHa_Ep9rT9pqfDSvdLc26IIkE_8g

Between Wolverhampton and Birmingham there are life size flat black metal horses - the ones left from an art project. Always enjoy them :)

Edit to provide a link to the Wolverhampton station one - I particularly enjoy the ones out in the wild though.

We were driving into Overstrand today when I spotted an obvious man shape cut out that was painted black in the church graveyard. I had to investigate!. Was someone trying to fake a ghost photo or was a play being put on inside the church?.

These life size figures are called Silent Silhouettes as I've discovered so expect a few people trying to pass them off as genuine ghost photos taken under more conducive lighting conditions in the future ..

People could at least honestly say "I swear there was nobody standing there when I took it".

Back