• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pigs / Swine

'Not slaughtered fast enough'? I seriously doubt pigs (unlike many animals) will be too worried about overcrowding as long as there is enough feed. They are intelligent and adaptable.

If someone's got too many I can take on a few dozen, and I know someone who can turn them in to bacon in an appropriate time scale.
There was a story the other day about a pig farmer who said if her couldn't take his pigs to the abbatoir he would have to kill them, now is it just me or does this sound odd?

Slaughtering pigs then incinerating them is verging on criminal. Probably cruel as well - I heard a phone call from a pig farmer the other day - he said normal procedure is they’re taken to the abattoir then gassed which puts them to sleep, then slaughtered. OK that doesn’t sound like a happy end but..

He said instead they will probably be shot on the farm, the other pigs will know what’s going on & be terrified. Pigs are smart animals. He wasn’t happy.

Not to mention the waste of perfectly good meat. Shocking.

Slaughtering pigs then incinerating them is verging on criminal. Probably cruel as well - I heard a phone call from a pig farmer the other day - he said normal procedure is they’re taken to the abattoir then gassed which puts them to sleep, then slaughtered. OK that doesn’t sound like a happy end but..

He said instead they will probably be shot on the farm, the other pigs will know what’s going on & be terrified. Pigs are smart animals. He wasn’t happy.

Not to mention the waste of perfectly good meat. Shocking.
Its seems strange that halal meat can be slaughtered without stunning the animals first but pigs cant be!?

Its seems strange that halal meat can be slaughtered without stunning the animals first but pigs cant be!?

Double standards, most animal welfare campaigners won't raise the issue because they know they'll be smeared as islamophobes if the do.

But because they weren't butchered in the right way he'd be unable to sell the bacon.

To sell meat into the human food chain, you need to obey lots of rules.

If l wanted to sell my venison to a game dealer, l’d have to conform to all of these rules.

Luckily, l only shoot a few per year for myself and my friends, so - although l am in law a “trained hunter” - l don’t have to bother.

maximus otter

There is a good chance that many wild boars on the Veluwe will die of starvation in the coming winter. Due to the cold spring and the wet summer, fewer acorns and beech nuts fall from the trees this autumn. At the same time, the number of boars has increased considerably in recent years.

The boars had food in abundance in winter for the past eight years. But only about 1.6 million kilos of acorns and beech nuts are expected to fall from the trees this year. This is partly because 60 percent of the beech trees on the Veluwe have not been in bloom. In 2012, there was so little food for the boars for the last time.

Because food has been plentiful in the past eight years, the animals have reproduced to their heart's content. As a result, the number of boars on the Veluwe is now considerably larger than usual. Because there are not enough beech nuts and acorns, only the strongest animals will survive.

https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/6160632/wilde-zwijnen-op-veluwe-wacht-hongerdood-door-eikeltekort.html

Pigs as scarecrows! Vid at link.

A pig patrol has been recruited by one of Europe's busiest airports to keep geese away from farmland in between the runways.

The team of 20 drafted in by Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport is part of a range of measures being used to reduce bird-strikes.

The BBC’s correspondent in the Netherlands Anna Holligan has been to see them in action.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-58928677

Pigs supplying organs for transplant patients, will the recipients hog the limelight?

US surgeons say they have successfully given a pig's kidney to a person in a transplant breakthrough they hope could ultimately solve donor organ shortages.

The recipient was brain-dead, meaning they were already on artificial life support with no prospect of recovering. The kidney came from a pig that had been genetically modified to stop the organ being recognised by the body as "foreign" and being rejected.

The work has not yet been peer-reviewed or published. Experts say it is the most advanced experiment in the field so far. Similar tests have been done in non-human primates, but not people, until now.

Using pigs for transplants is not a new idea though. Pig heart valves are already widely used in humans. And their organs are a good match for people when it comes to size.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58993696

Pigs supplying organs for transplant patients, will the recipients hog the limelight?

US surgeons say they have successfully given a pig's kidney to a person in a transplant breakthrough they hope could ultimately solve donor organ shortages.

The recipient was brain-dead, meaning they were already on artificial life support with no prospect of recovering. The kidney came from a pig that had been genetically modified to stop the organ being recognised by the body as "foreign" and being rejected.

The work has not yet been peer-reviewed or published. Experts say it is the most advanced experiment in the field so far. Similar tests have been done in non-human primates, but not people, until now.

Using pigs for transplants is not a new idea though. Pig heart valves are already widely used in humans. And their organs are a good match for people when it comes to size.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58993696
Are we now experimenting on brain dead patients?

I think your body is supposed to be used after life support is withdrawn.
The article does state that the person wanted to be an organ donor and that the family agreed to this. In any organ donation, the person is kept on life support until the organs can be harvested. I can't see any other way of doing an experiment like this any other way.

The pig was genetically modified (how?) to prevent its organs from being rejected, so why couldn't people eventually be done this way? Totally controversial, but a question none the less. I don't understand how they could tell that the kidney was functioning "as a normal kidney would" though, as the person is brain dead, so nothing is functioning "normally".

I don't understand how they could tell that the kidney was functioning "as a normal kidney would" though, as the person is brain dead, so nothing is functioning "normally".
They can check blood, urine, etc. No need for the brain to be working for the body to function.

I think being a pig/human hybrid would be great.

Pigs devote their lives to eating. They do other things, of course, like sniff out truffles, and root up things, but its all in the aim of eating.

I wouldn't mind coming back as a pig-human hybrid.

Limerick-pig-man-02.jpg

maximus otter

The Three Big Pigs visit Silloth.

A trio of pigs on the loose in a seaside town have left residents both worried for the animals' safety and wary of unexpected wild encounters.

The porcine interlopers have been foraging around Silloth in Cumbria for weeks, residents said. Some people said they were frightened after being "confronted" in the dark..

Adam Pearson said he saw the roaming animals near Skinburness Road and they "weren't aggressive, they were just getting on with what they were doing". But he added "any animal like that, that's provoked, obviously will and can turn". They were "big animals", he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-64065232

Bet it was a MCFC fan who kept the pig. Vid at link.

Pig fed junk food for seven years in small flat​

A pot-bellied pig who could barely walk after reaching 26 stone (165kg) has been given a new lease of life.

Portia lived in a small flat in Manchester for seven years and was fed junk food and fizzy drinks. But she has now been nursed back to health after being taken to Whitegate Animal Sanctuary in Wirral, Merseyside, where she was put on a pet-friendly diet.

Jill Jolly, from the sanctuary, said from she went from being a "very depressed pig" to an animal with a "good little life and attitude".

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-merseyside-66138400

Plundering pig now lives high on the hog.

After numerous complaints of mischief in the city of Aurora, a 400lb (181kg) culprit has finally been caught loitering outside a shopping centre.

Officials say Fred, who dodged them for several days, is "always hungry" and "loves his belly scratches".

Aurora Animal Services knew they were looking for a pig, they were surprised at just how big he was. It took about eight people and five hours to capture him. They now hope to find his forever home.

"He's almost like a dog in behaviour, so we want to maintain his life of being a happy, social pig," said Augusta Allen, a field officer with Aurora Animal Services,

City officials first became aware of Fred on 24 September when they received a call about a pig that was tearing up a person's yard. But when animal officers arrived on the scene, they were not able to find him.

More calls came in the next day, this time about a pig in traffic. Then another call about a pig that was ruining someone's landscaping.

He was then spotted again three days later on 27 September, in the early morning hours.

This time, Fred was in a position where he could be captured, Ms Allen said.

Still, it was no easy task.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67036162

Back