• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pink bears

Dickydevo

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I have come across two stories of pink bears recently. Firstly - "An extraordinarily large polar bear,the fur of which is a bright pink colour,has been captured in Northern Siberia. The animal will be sent as a present to the czar." April 20th 1891.Repository,Canton,Ohio.

Secondly - "Himalayan hunter reports seeing a pink bear. However it may have been an ordinary bear tickled pink at the thought he doesn`t have to put on anything to go out of doors these hot days." Macon Telegraph July 7th 1931

From what I gather, the most common (apparent) discoloration of polar bear fur is a greenish tinge caused by algae on, or even within, the hollow hairs.

I also ran across a claim (someone's post on a forum) that a diet unusually rich in salmon and / or certain shellfish has been known to somehow cause a pink or red residue on or within the hairs.

The pink colour of a flamingo comes from aqueous bacteria and beta-Carotene obtained from the food supply.
It may be a similar thing that is happening with the polar bears.

Here's a local with an algae tainted belly...

IMG_8095_edited-1.jpg

Thanks for this. I`ve also come across blue bears

Interestingly, the Pink Bears was a 1960s schoolboy band in Woking- one of the members of which was a certain Richard Colborne, known to both myself and Dickydevo!
slide03.htm

A quick search reveals the pink Care Bear is called Cheer Bear. Possibly not real.

Googling "Pink Bears" sounds like a way to test what the evil search-engine/advertising behemoth thinks it knows about you . . .

Actually, it was three pages of gift-wrapped teddies before the first fat, sweaty man turned up.

Incidentally was the young John Noakes in that pop group? :D

Googling "Pink Bears" sounds like a way to test what the evil search-engine/advertising behemoth thinks it knows about you . . .

Actually, it was three pages of gift-wrapped teddies before the first fat, sweaty man turned up.

I circumvented any unnecessariness by typing "pink Care Bear". It's the only naturally pink bear I can think of.

Back