• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pink Cadillac

A

Anonymous

Chrissy Keith
Well, When I was young we actually used to hitchhike to Ebensburg from Revloc in Pennsylvania. In those days both towns had their respective "thumbing corners".

One day I ran into my usual group of friends (Rob, Ripley, and the Mallin brothers). We discussed going to Ebensburg and walked over to the "thumbing corner", still discussing the merits of the trip. I was not in favor of going and was attempting to convince everyone else to stay in town. The others were largely undecided on the matter. If I recall it seems that something was going on in Ebensburg and there was a very good chance that it would all be over by the time we got there. Thus both the indecision and the need to move right to the thumbing corner as soon as possible.

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/pinkcadillac.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one puzzled by this post?

Quote very much like the one owned by Arnold Capousky (if you remember him) Unquote

Err....no

Quote (the Union Hall as you may recall was elevated above the level of the road and the sidewalk around it was surrounded by a steel railing) Unquote

Err....no

Am I missing something?

Lutz

It sounds like the account was taken from a letter.
(who does the editing around here??)

pinkle

Also, does it not sound to anyone like this person's mates actually *got* a lift in the Caddy, got dropped off nearby and just pretended they hadn't, as a kind of (stupid) joke?

Where are they getting these IHTM things from anyway? This is worse than "When posters attack". I really think we should be told.
And why does Bob Rickard never post on the board anymore? Are we grown too big and ugly for him now? :(

i suppose there are months when they (the FT staff) have plenty of stories coming in, so they can choose the best ones and print them. when only few stories come in, they'll print them all, even if some of them suck...

I did a Google on Arnold Capousky. You know how on Google you normally get something like 50,000 results in 0.21 seconds, if not more. Well, on Arnold Capousky, how many results did I get? Er...one. And you've guessed it - it was Fortean Times IHTM.
I smell a rat. Or is it a frog...

Big Bill Robinson

Hmm...the origin of this story is getting more interesting than the story itself.

Didn't Arnold Capousky sell that pink Caddilac to Ambrose Bierce? (that's after Amelia Earhart and Judge Crater turned it down...)

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------

PINK CADILLAC

Chrissy Keith

Well, When I was young we actually used to hitchhike to Ebensburg from Revloc in Pennsylvania. In those days both towns had their respective "thumbing corners".

One day I ran into my usual group of friends (Rob, Ripley, and the Mallin brothers). We discussed going to Ebensburg and walked over to the "thumbing corner", still discussing the merits of the trip. I was not in favor of going and was attempting to convince everyone else to stay in town. The others were largely undecided on the matter. If I recall it seems that something was going on in Ebensburg and there was a very good chance that it would all be over by the time we got there. Thus both the indecision and the need to move right to the thumbing corner as soon as possible.

Suddenly, everyone stopped talking to me. As I was trying to figure out why I was getting the cold shoulder treatment, a hot pink automobile, very much like the one owned by Arnold Capousky (if you remember him) pulled up, and all the guys piled into the back.

At this point I became rather angry. Obviously they had all decided to go and my opinion wasn't even worth considering! So I said "the hell with this" and stepped back from the car. It pulled off and drove toward Rt. 422. I was alone at the thumbing corner.

I then turned and walked toward home. I walked about 100 yards and reached the old Union Hall, where, being a young fellow, I decided to climb up over the railing (the Union Hall as you may recall was elevated above the level of the road and the sidewalk around it was surrounded by a steel railing) rather than walk around to the steps. As I stepped up I caught sight of my friends over my shoulder! They were all standing at the corner I had just left.

I immediately turned around and walked back, asking them, "Why did you come back?"

They all insisted that they had never gone anywhere! They never got into a car. No pink car had even stopped. They said that I just suddenly walked away without saying a word!

The experience was so real that I even sought out Arnold Capousky (there simply weren't many pink cars around!) and demanded to know if he had picked they guys up and then (apparently) almost immediately turned around brought them back. He thought I was crazy!

Since Arnold was driving, and we where not, I must have been about 13, which would make the year 1969 or 1970. I still have no explanation for it. Unlike my subsequent cemetery episode I did not feel any strange effects in the hours following.

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/2002120...rteantimes.com:80/happened/pinkcadillac.shtml

I wonder if this wasn't some variation on dissociative fugue. It's like the experiencer temporarily jumped to a semi-conscious, lucid dream state. The indication from the post is that this was not an isolated incident but had happened before, after which the person suffered from unspecified lingering effects. Makes you wonder if the person had previous brain injury (concussion?) that may have been triggering this.

Last edited:
The thing that came to my mind was possibly a dimension-jump. In one timeline his friends got into the pink car and off they went (possibly to some disastrous occurrence, car crash, etc, or possibly not) but the person relating the story moved into a different timeline where the car didn't appear.

Back