• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pink Floyd CD case conundrum?!

A

Anonymous

Can anyone shed any light on why all of Pink Floyd's CD cases have the front two tabs (the little things that hold in the booklet) missing!??

I know this is more than just a bit trivial but i'm just curious to find out why.
I've not seen it on any other CD case and it's even on the new best of album so it's not a case of dodgy/faulty CD's!

I doubt anyone will know but it's worth a try.

Eck.

Quite a mundane explaination I'm afraid:

A more discreet... improvement to the jewel box is known as the lugless box; pioneered on Pink Floyd's albums, where the removal of all but the back lugs or nipples allows for the easy removal of the CD booklet. No more scrunched-up booklets!

From 100 Best Album Covers by Storm Thorgerson and Aubrey Powell - a nice book, even if Mr Thorgerson has chosen rather too much of his own work for his own good...

I can't believe this is the only Pink Floyd thread! Anyway, apparently Roger Waters has moved to America in protest at the ban on fox hunting. (Although the bloodthirsty miserable old git is still keeping his mansion in Hampshire. And the one in London. Way to protest, Rog!)

Rock star quits UK over hunting ban
Maurice Chittenden
THE rock musician Roger Waters, who fronted the reformed Pink Floyd at this summer’s Live 8 concert, has become the first celebrity to leave Britain in protest at the ban on hunting.

He has gone to live in America “in disgust” at what he says is an unfair attack by Tony Blair’s government on Britain’s countryside community.

Waters never swapped Pink Floyd for hunting pinks but he is a keen shooting and fishing man. He supported the Countryside Alliance’s rearguard action against the ban with a benefit concert at the Albert Hall.

He has now packed his shooting sticks and fishing rods and moved to the Hamptons, the millionaires’ playground in New York state.

Waters, who unveils his new work, Ca Ira, an opera about the French revolution, in Rome in November, said last week: “To slap down a perfectly gentle, fair-minded and honest yeoman-like minority in that way was just disgusting. It is also bloody stupid.”

He believes it could be “the thin end of a very thick wedge” and that shooting could be the next target for animal rights campaigners.

The musician, 61 this week, still has a £1m riverside home in Hampshire and a £6m house in London that is also the office for his musical enterprises. His main home is now a waterside mansion in the Hamptons where his neighbours include Sean Combs, the rap mogul now known as Diddy.

Waters’s daughter India, a model who lives in New York city, is a frequent visitor and he has already ordered rods from President George W Bush’s favourite angling shop, to catch giant tuna.

Waters, whose wealth was valued at £78m in this year’s Sunday Times Rich List, said: “I’ve become disenchanted with the political and philosophical atmosphere in England. It’s so mealy mouthed. I’m lucky enough to have the freedom to live where I want because I’ve made a few quid. The anti-hunting bill was enough for me to leave England.”

The musician, who is interviewed in today’s Culture section, added: “I did what I could. I did a concert and one or two articles, but it made me feel ashamed to be English.

“I was in Hyde Park for both the Countryside Alliance marches. There were hundreds of thousands of us there. Good, honest English people. That’s one of the most divisive pieces of legislation we’ve ever had in Britain.”

The Countryside Alliance hailed Waters as the first person to carry out his threat to leave Britain. At the height of the hunting debate several prominent hunt supporters said they would consider leaving if the bill became law.

The Prince of Wales, who hunted with the Beaufort Hunt along with princes William and Harry, is reported to have told a government minister at a private gathering that if the ban went through he might as well leave the country and spend the rest of his life skiing. Others said they would move their hunting activities to Ireland.

An alliance spokeswoman said: “We have had one or two people who would have left Britain anyway but Roger is the first to quit because of the hunting ban.”

Waters said in one interview: “Some of us are gatherers and some of us are hunters. I’m a hunter. I need the mud of a river oozing between my toes.”

His views were formed at an early stage when his grandparents used to drive him to see foxhunts. In more recent years he went regularly to Boxing Day meets near his Hampshire home until they were halted because of anti-hunt protesters.

The bass player and vocalist, who was one of the founding members of Pink Floyd 40 years ago, was also a member of a “shooting supergroup” that included Eric Clapton, the guitarist, and Stevie Winwood, the former Traffic singer who is the son of a gamekeeper.

The trio have regularly shot at Stanage Castle in the Welsh Marches, home of Jonathan Coltman-Rogers, high sheriff of Powys. Lord Heseltine, the Conservative former deputy prime minister, is another regular gun there.

An insider said: “Roger is not a son of the countryside but Stevie has authentic country qualifications. When these lot turn up in their plus fours, they out-country-gent the country gentlemen.”
source

Going on a pro hunting march is Nature's way of telling you that you have too much time on your hands.

-

Okay, I know any attempt to portray the countryside lobby as wholly comprised of inbred yokels and bloodthirsty toffs is misinformed, bigoted and ignorant (after all I'm a farm-bred country boy myself), but -
a perfectly gentle, fair-minded and honest yeoman-like minority

Per-feckin'-lease. Pass the sick-bag. There speaks a man who has spent far too much time up his own arse. But at least he's put his money where his mouth is and buggered off. One of the main reasons I voted Labour in '97 is that Jim Davidson, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Paul Daniels and Frank Bruno all said they'd leave the country if Labour got in - and they're all still here. Lying sods - I should sue them for breach of promise.

Spookdaddy said:
Okay, I know any attempt to portray the countryside lobby as wholly comprised of inbred yokels and bloodthirsty toffs is misinformed, bigoted and ignorant (after all I'm a farm-bred country boy myself), but -
a perfectly gentle, fair-minded and honest yeoman-like minority

Per-feckin'-lease. Pass the sick-bag. There speaks a man who has spent far too much time up his own arse.

'Who the Hell Does Roger Waters Think He Is?'

"It's important for people to grasp sensations, like the kind I get when I am fishing. Some of us are gatherers and some of us are hunters. I'm a hunter. I need the mud of river oozing between my toes. It's like Proust."

:roll:

"It's important for people to grasp sensations, like the kind I get when I am fishing. Some of us are gatherers and some of us are hunters. I'm a hunter. I need the mud of river oozing between my toes. It's like Proust."

Ah, it takes a country mind to be able to empathise with that, so true.

Re. foxhunting, well, as long as it's done with shotguns by people trained to kill with one hit, then fair enough - foxes are a verminous pest, no matter how sweet and innocent they look, but the idea of hunting with packs of hounds isn't in tune with the countryside at all; nothing could be more out of place. It's more like a toff's idea of how the countryside should be, and how they want it to be, when in reality the 'country folk' who harp on about how vital hunting with hounds is to the rural economy are usually the land owners who are making a mint out of hosting hunts i.e. it's vital to -their- economy.

MrSnowman said:
...but the idea of hunting with packs of hounds isn't in tune with the countryside at all; nothing could be more out of place. It's more like a toff's idea of how the countryside should be, and how they want it to be...

My grandfather on my dad's side was a hard-nosed hill-farmer - prophane and aggressively independant. He shot foxes as a matter of course but regarded fox-hunters as about the lowest form of life around - referring to them, even when us little 'uns were within earshot, in terms even I would be embarrassed to use in mixed company. He also considered them "outsiders" in the same way he might consider townies outsiders - and I don't think that this was in any way a unique attitude. The hunting lobby's success was to polarise opinion - manipulating all the genuine concerns and anxieties experienced by many who live and work in rural areas in order to concentrate them on one generally irrelevant issue. "The countryside" is not a homogenous entity however much incomers like Roger Waters might like it to be.

foxes are a verminous pest, no matter how sweet and innocent they look

Says who, exactly?

In my locality, a downsize in the local fox population due to mange (though many suspect a secret cull) has led to a vast increase in the rat population.

I know which particular brand of 'vermin' I'd prefer.

Waters is my favourite in Floyd - no matter how wrong or unpleasant he might be, he at least has things to say and be angry about. He has done some very moving songs.

Back