• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Pinwheels"

A

Anonymous

I'm new here to the FT MB but I have been reading FT for a few years now and recently came by the website. I've read lots of interesting discussions, some funny, some disturbing but all interesting and I am hoping to start a discussion about something which has bothered my girlfriend for a long time now, and maybe finding some answers.

We live in West Virginia, USA, I'm originally from the UK. My girlfriend has lived here all her life though. She is now in her 30's and these incidents happened at times in her life that she seemed to be going through hormonal changes; once at the age of 13 and the other time when she was pregnant at the age of 21. And now, in her 30's she is starting to expect that she'll experience it again.

Both incidents are similar:

Late at night, laying in bed, she was awoken by a humming sound. Opening her eyes she saw what she can only really describe as a pinwheel type object, about 2ft in diameter, metallic, with spinning fan blades, surrounded by a metal circle. The object hovered above her, 'scanning' her body as she lay motionless in bed pretending to be asleep. As the breeze from the object passed over her face and back off again, she opened her eyes to see the object flying away through the bedroom window.

I have searched and searched for references to pinwheels or fans etc. in accounts of alien abductions and dreams, on the internet, but nothing has ever came up about it. The one time anyone could ever offer any help came from a chat room for alien abductees, one man was shocked that I called it a pinwheel as he had heard about similar objects mentioned at an abductee meeting, but I suppose that information is only worth as much as the credence you give alien abductees.

If anyone has any ideas, please let us know. I've thought about sleep paralysis to alien probes. I would be very interested to know if anyone else has heard of similar accounts of pinwheels, or experienced something the same, or can point us to any useful websites.

Thank you,
Mr Dead :monster:

It does sound rather like a sleep paralysis experience to me. I've had the condition most of my life, and although I've never seen a
pinwheel -type object, I've seen plenty of other very odd things, often accompanied by hums and clicks. And a lot of these experiences did seem to coincide with hormone changes, too.
Also, I do remember vividly, as a small child, waking up and seeing an RAF roundel (that red, white and blue circle) hovering in the corner of the room - it seemed to hang there for ages before fading away. I don't remember any sound with it.
Tell your girlfriend not to worry - it's just a dream.

Annasdottir,
Sleep paralysis is what I thought it most probably was too, but it seemed strange enough to warrant some further research just incase the aliens were coming to get us (j/k) :)
Seriously though, thanks for your comment. Sleep paralysis has always sounded like a horrible thing to happen from what I've read of it. I hope it doesn't happen too much to you. Hums and clicks, particularly the RAF symbol sounds very close to my girlfriends description. Maybe the only thing to do now is convince her it was nothing more than a dream because she is sure that she experienced something weird.
Although, sleep paralysis probably would be on my list of weird experiences...

Mr Dead :monster:

Looking further at sleep paralysis, I've found its related to narcolepsy in that you enter REM sleep before you've had a period of non-dreaming sleep. Also, narcolepsy usually emerges in the teenage years and affects 1/200 of the population. (That's from 'the Dream Doctor' (dreamdoctor.com) answering someone elses question about being paralyzed during sleep and having strange dreams)

Actually, I've rarely been seriously frightened by any of my many sleep paralysis/hypnogogic dreaming episodes. In fact, I've found them quite entertaining at times and I've certainly relished the chance to peer into my murky subconcious. But then, people have always said I'm a bit strange...........
Just convince your girlfreind that there's nothing really OUT THERE coming to get her - it's all in her mind. Mind you, that idea may be even more frightening.

I agree with you annasdottir.

My last sleep paralysis involved someone I had known, who had a semi-hemi-spherectomy, (the removal of half their brain to prevent major epileptic seizures).

Inspite of this bizarre circumstance, the event, was in no way frightening.....

Rather a chance to talk to someone whom I had once known!!!!!!

Back