• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Places Of Extreme Strangeness

Breakfastologist

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
After reading the Skinwalker article in the most recent FT I was wondering whether there were any other similar places of extreme strangeness on record? What about places of partial strangeness?

Also, what theories to people here have as to the causes of this type of oddness explosion, if it's not an outbreak of mass making-stuff-up on the part of a few reporters?

I was going to post something similar myself!

I have to say it's the most amazing article I think I've ever read in FT and if the people involved aren't hoaxing then it raises far more questions than we can ever hope to answer.

Two possible theories:

1. Some weird EMF causing temporal lobe seizures, or:
2. Q from Star Trek.

One place that I can think of is Bass Strait (Victoria, Australia) - an aircraft and a ship disappeared there in 1920, and there have also been various UFO sightings. The most unusual case from that locale was the disappearance of Frederick Valentich. Dyfed in Wales (UK) was also the scene of a variety of strangness in the '70s, IIRC.

JerryB said:
One place that I can think of is Bass Strait (Victoria, Australia) - an aircraft and a ship disappeared there in 1920, and there have also been various UFO sightings. The most unusual case from that locale was the disappearance of Frederick Valentich.
Don't let any Taswegians hear you. (Bass Strait is the body of water seperating Tasmania from the mainland.)

Was Valentich the guy who went missing in the middle of the night about 25 or so years ago? I remember sitting up one night, listening to the radio as the reports came in. Firstly there were the reports of the greenish light from the UFO, then they lost contact with the plane. I heard all of this because I had difficulty sleeping (still do) and had to have a radio going most of the night to keep me calm (it covered the noise of the house creaking and the various arthropods crawling around). Oddly enough, that night I didn't sleep too good.

Someone will now show how bad my memory is by posting the times and dates that will show that it couldn't possibly have happened the way I remember it.

To drag this back on topic, Bass Strait isn't that strange. There's a daily ferry and numerous flights across it that never go missing.

It does seem to be a temporary effect and one that works with people. It may be that in the vast majority of cases we are looking at local outbreaks of extreme strangeness rather than places.

Paul Deveraux talks about ghosts appearing as a synthesis between the viewer and some localised effect- it could be that an outbreak of strangeness is the same effect only much more powerful.

Warminster used to be a UFO centre in Britain, didn't it? I recall reading 'The Warminster Mystery' when I was a kid. Is it still a centre for UFO sightings or have things died down?

Carole

Warminster has calmed down alot - and it's been implied that the original hype was based on a hoax too. There were a few odd road ghosts on the way into town though, but I haven't heard about them for quite a while.

Breakfast said:
It does seem to be a temporary effect and one that works with people. It may be that in the vast majority of cases we are looking at local outbreaks of extreme strangeness rather than places.

Paul Deveraux talks about ghosts appearing as a synthesis between the viewer and some localised effect- it could be that an outbreak of strangeness is the same effect only much more powerful.

I think he's taking his cue there from T.C. Lethbridge and his ideas about such phenomena.

Strangess place on earth.... has to be the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland. No particular extraterrestial or paranormal weirdness, it just looks freaky. Can't remember the name of the poet but he said "when God made the earth out of the chaos this was the little bit of chaos left" when he saw the Causeway. Its a wild collection of hexagonal basalt columns of different heights and sizes. If u havent seen it then I suggest going to see it or failing that looking up some photos.

I've lived in Dartford for 16 years and in this part of the town for the last 7. I have experienced more strange stuff in the last 7 than I have in the years before. Then again weird stuff seems to have followed me since the day I was born.;) Myself and others have witnessed UFOs, ghosts, poltergeists and a really horrible oppressive feel that happens every now and again.
:_omg:

I think I've read of his books to do with 'the paranormal'. You should be able to find his stuff via on-line second-hand bookfinders (i.e. abebooks.com).

If you can get hold of Colin Wilson's book 'Mysteries', this gives a a very good overview of Lethbridge and his writing.

Breakfast said:
Is Lethbridge still in print anywhere? Has anyone read any of his work?
I have a copy of "The Essential T. C. Lethbridge" by Tom Graves and Janet Hoult. This gives an excellent overview of the Lethbridge philosophy. It deals in the main with dowsing but also covers other areas of the paranormal. And I'm sure I've seen other Lethbridge volumes for sale at Amazon.com.

JerryB said:
Warminster has calmed down alot - and it's been implied that the original hype was based on a hoax too. There were a few odd road ghosts on the way into town though, but I haven't heard about them for quite a while.
This site catalogues the Warminster flap and puts it in the context of other weirdness in the county of Wiltshire

Cheshire and the area within the Pennines also seems to get more than its fair share of anomalies. Although these are often isolated incidents with different individuals involved its worthy of further study.
This site covers the area pretty well.;)

I have heard of Longdendale (?) in derbyshire as a classic strange location as well. I think there was an FT article on it a little while ago.

If you can get hold of Colin Wilson's book 'Mysteries', this gives a a very good overview of Lethbridge and his writing.
This is where I first heard of his work, I was just thinking it would be intriguing to get back to the source, as it were.

Breakfast said:
I have heard of Longdendale (?) in derbyshire as a classic strange location as well. I think there was an FT article on it a little while ago.
Further down this article you'll see a piece about the Longendale Lights - spook lights. ;)

I spent several nights during my early childhood hunting UFOs near Warminster with various relatives or friends of relatives.The most exciting thing that happened was when we occasionally strayed onto Ministry land and got caught by the soldiers!However I remember stuff from back then ( we knew a lot of strange people with odd tales ) that doesn't seem to have made it to print anywhere.

Marion said:
However I remember stuff from back then ( we knew a lot of strange people with odd tales ) that doesn't seem to have made it to print anywhere.
But Marion, you can't leave us in suspense like that!
I hope you're gonna share some of these odd tales. :D

Other locations of high strangeness I'd forgotten about are Clapham Wood and Chanctonbury Ring.

See here for Clapham Wood and UFOs
See here for Clapham Wood and black magic
See here for Clapham Wood and strange disappearances
See here for Chanctonbury Ring and also here

Wistman's Wood near Two Bridges on Dartmoor.

It's one of two remaining purely oak woods in Europe.
It's located in a remote windswept valley.
All the oaks are stunted to around 8 foot and gnarled to heck.
There are granite boulders strewn around the place.

It looks eerie, but it feels even more eerie as if something's just waiting, watching.

There are legends of faeries & elves haunting the Woods (the malicious type that kidnap you, not the fluffy things from nursery rhymes). It's easy to see why.

The Bridgewater Triangle. Read about is here on WIKIPEDIA
There's numerous ufo sightings, various crypto creatures including Bigfoot, Thunderbirds and the rather unique Puckwudgie. Ghostly encounters and hauntings are common as well as other forms of paranormal phenomena.

According to an article I read Halsall Moss (West Lancashire) is meant to be quite a strange place with quite a few oddities spotted, alas not by myself unfortunately I travel that way quite often and apart from Hares and Rabbits I have never seen anything out of the ordinary

According to an article I read Halsall Moss (West Lancashire) is meant to be quite a strange place with quite a few oddities spotted, alas not by myself unfortunately I travel that way quite often and apart from Hares and Rabbits I have never seen anything out of the ordinary
Halsall Moss? I couldn't find that on a map.
Halsall, yes.

It's actually on more recent OS maps too:

Halsall Moss copy.png

The area has been the subject of at least one article in FT, by Rob Gandy.

There's a link to a transcript of one such article here.

Back