Planespotting!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
That happened to me this morning. I'd been following a microlight that flew over here at 7.30am. It set off from the Isle of Wight, made a stop near Cromer (!), and is continuing up the east coast and is currently around Morpeth.
A week ago it was in Prestwick and flew from Exeter to Bembridge yesterday. Perhaps someone is circumnavigating the coast of UK.
I bet they are! What fun. :cool:

Erinaceus

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
It appears to have landed at Eshott airfield, north of Newcastle. It's a good day for it!

Attachments

• G-BZIM C63A7913.jpg
    G-BZIM C63A7913.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 0

Erinaceus

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Well that's been a full day's flying apart from two or three short stops, presumably to refuel! It has finally landed at Easter airfield, between Cromarty Firth and Dornoch Firth. The view when it flew over the Cairngorms must have been something!
https://www.easterairfield.co.uk/

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Flightradar wouldn't show me any planes just now. Jut the map with some airports. Horrific. :omg:
It's the beginning of the alien invasion.

Erinaceus

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
FR24 shows three drones over the English Channel at the moment. They're too far from the shore to see, especially with the sun shining towards me. They're the small light aircraft-sized variety. Some are used for spotting migrants in dinghies coming from France and I think one is watching shipping for pollution and emissions.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
FR24 shows three drones over the English Channel at the moment. They're too far from the shore to see, especially with the sun shining towards me. They're the small light aircraft-sized variety. Some are used for spotting migrants in dinghies coming from France and I think one is watching shipping for pollution and emissions.
Found them (well, I can currently see two) and looked them up to show Techy.
He strapped on his tinfoil hat and went off to find out more. :chuckle:

Drones used for traffic surveillance are much smaller and I haven't spotted any. Perhaps they fly too low to have to register.

Erinaceus

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The three drones are shown as LN0310NB, G-TEKR and AR3A and they're all still there at the moment.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The three drones are shown as LN0310NB, G-TEKR and AR3A and they're all still there at the moment.

My beloved Beluga XL3 is about to take off from Chester. While it probably won't fly over'ere I live in hope. :chuckle:
Seven RAF Hawks are out over North Wales.

Hmm, can only see G-TEKR over t'Channel now. Saw that earlier along with LN0310NB.
(Googled AR3A and found vintage loudspeakers!)

Erinaceus

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
G-TEKR is based at Lydd. AR3A seems to be from the Coastguard at Dover and LN0310NB landed at Cap Gris Nez.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
How bizarre. Flight from Paris to Frankfurt is flying over central London. Is someone lost?

View attachment 42373
Sometimes the route is written down wrong. Flightradar invite users to point this out if they spot it.

Last time this happened Techy reckoned someone was being secretly dropped off.

Erinaceus

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
If someone's being dropped off I hope they can swim. It's getting near the Irish coast and about to head out over the Atlantic.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

E-4B “Doomsday Plane” Just Made A Highly Unusual Visit To Secretive Tonopah Test Range

In a highly unusual move, one of the U.S. Air Force’s E-4B Nightwatch aircraft, also known as National Airborne Operations Centers, or NAOCs, touched down today at Tonopah Test Range Airport (TTR), one of the most famous secretive aircraft operating locations in the United States, only surpassed by nearby Area 51. What might have triggered this highly unusual visit is puzzling, to say the least, but it seems it could (me must stress could)have been related to a possible visit to the facility by Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III.

Boeing_E-4B_USAF_73-1677.jpg

Widely referred to as “Doomsday Planes,” the Air Force’s four existing E-4Bs are based on Boeing 747 airframes and are most famous for providing a robust and survivable airborne command post that offers a platform for the President of the United States, under a framework known as the National Command Authority (NCA), to initiate a nuclear strike. The planes have other functions, too, including directing large-scale military operations or a response to other major contingencies, such as major natural disasters. Also among their roles, the Nightwatch jets are often employed as a means of transporting the Secretary of Defense to foreign countries.

message-editor%2F1627078474105-screenshot2021-07-23at9.52.03pm.png

The E-4B’s flight from Andrews Air Force Base to TTR.

It’s notable that the Air Force’s latest Red Flag large-force combat exercise is now underway at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, which might have prompted a visit by the Secretary of Defense to the nearby TTR. Red Flag 21-3, which is making use of the Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR), is a U.S. forces-centric version of the exercise and is employing F-117 Nighthawks in an aggressor role.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...visit-to-secretive-tonopah-test-range-airport

maximus otter

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Helicopters OY-HOW and G-POET are currently flying over the Menai Strait. I suspect they are heading for the helicopter station near Dinas Dinlle.
The RAF Hawks are also out and about from RAF Valley on Anglesey.

Lovely day for them all!

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

E-4B “Doomsday Plane” Just Made A Highly Unusual Visit To Secretive Tonopah Test Range

In a highly unusual move, one of the U.S. Air Force’s E-4B Nightwatch aircraft, also known as National Airborne Operations Centers, or NAOCs, touched down today at Tonopah Test Range Airport (TTR), one of the most famous secretive aircraft operating locations in the United States, only surpassed by nearby Area 51. What might have triggered this highly unusual visit is puzzling, to say the least, but it seems it could (me must stress could)have been related to a possible visit to the facility by Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III.

Boeing_E-4B_USAF_73-1677.jpg

Widely referred to as “Doomsday Planes,” the Air Force’s four existing E-4Bs are based on Boeing 747 airframes and are most famous for providing a robust and survivable airborne command post that offers a platform for the President of the United States, under a framework known as the National Command Authority (NCA), to initiate a nuclear strike. The planes have other functions, too, including directing large-scale military operations or a response to other major contingencies, such as major natural disasters. Also among their roles, the Nightwatch jets are often employed as a means of transporting the Secretary of Defense to foreign countries.

message-editor%2F1627078474105-screenshot2021-07-23at9.52.03pm.png

The E-4B’s flight from Andrews Air Force Base to TTR.

It’s notable that the Air Force’s latest Red Flag large-force combat exercise is now underway at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, which might have prompted a visit by the Secretary of Defense to the nearby TTR. Red Flag 21-3, which is making use of the Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR), is a U.S. forces-centric version of the exercise and is employing F-117 Nighthawks in an aggressor role.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...visit-to-secretive-tonopah-test-range-airport

maximus otter
Jeez think of all the fuel, couldn't he have used zoom?

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
2 Chinook's a SAR coastguard 2 other military copters and the air ambulance
are in the Morecambe bay area most of them have just rattled our windows
and brought a good few of the villagers out.
Something's afoot on.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The SAR copter seems to be heading for Anglesey the others seem to have landed or
gone very low level a few miles from here round Pilling.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Air Ambulance G-DRLA left Cheadle in Staffordshire, going north, and now seems to have landed in Manchester near Sharston Ambulance Station. We'll never know!

Edit - I reckon it's at Wythenshawe Hospital.

Reactions: RaM

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Was told a story the other day were back in the day the RAF had taken the
Harrier down to Japan, wile there they had flown them at air shows, at the
end of the Harrier display they would come to the hover and then bow to
the crowd by lowering then raising the nose, only to be greeted by thousands
of Japanese bowing back.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Was told a story the other day were back in the day the RAF had taken the
Harrier down to Japan, wile there they had flown them at air shows, at the
end of the Harrier display they would come to the hover and then bow to
the crowd by lowering then raising the nose, only to be greeted by thousands
of Japanese bowing back.

No! :rollingw:

Used to take the kids to watch Harriers practice low-level manoeuvres at Rhosneigr on Anglesey.
Bottles of pop, a big bag of monkey nuts, a warm sand dune to sit on - TOP entertainment. :cool2: