• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Plant Ghosts

Tunn11

Justified & Ancient
There are reported ghosts of people and also of some animals, I can think of Horses, dogs, cats and chickens as well as inanimate objects associated with people; clothes, carriages, cars and busses.

At what point are living things able to become ghosts? Is it due to association with people? Have there ever been reported ghosts of ; rats, insects, fungi or plants.

How would we know if there were ghosts of plants? A cut down tree re-appearing may be obvious but a grass root in a meadow less so.

What about other animals associated with people, cows, sheep, etc.

Is it to do with the idea of a “soul” in which case why domestic moggies and not tigers? If ghosts are recordings why not trees?

I suppose if say (as in the Ray Alan timeslip case) when he went into the shop that no longer existed, then everything in that shop was a 'ghost' as well as the shopkeeper).

I wonder if any of the people who have seen Roman soldiers marching through a field saw any difference in the field and trees etc. For eg a tree that vanished when the soldiers also did perhaps.

There are reported ghosts of people and also of some animals, I can think of Horses, dogs, cats and chickens as well as inanimate objects associated with people; clothes, carriages, cars and busses.

At what point are living things able to become ghosts? Is it due to association with people? Have there ever been reported ghosts of ; rats, insects, fungi or plants.

How would we know if there were ghosts of plants? A cut down tree re-appearing may be obvious but a grass root in a meadow less so.

Is it to do with the idea of a “soul” in which case why domestic moggies and not tigers? If ghosts are recordings why not trees?
Also entire ghost/time-slip houses. Some really intriguing and quite convincing examples of this particular aspect of the phenomena. Personally, I think we are too conditioned in the West to see ghosts as 'the soul of a dead person willingly manifesting itself'. I just feel there is a lot more going on with time, gravity and more and that you can't separate a policeman seeing a farm worker walk through a solid wall* and the Ray Allan time-slip and others

(*a case from the 'Credible Witness' books by Andy Gilbert, if you haven't read these books you definitely should)

So stone can be a ghost, but only if it's part of a house or a wall? Single bricks or partial walls can't manefest?

Does that mean that isolated parts of people should be able to appear (I know there are tales of ghostly feet and limbs, but these almost always seem to be attached to a ghostly figure that just isn't visible) Just a leg, lying around?

So stone can be a ghost, but only if it's part of a house or a wall? Single bricks or partial walls can't manefest?

Does that mean that isolated parts of people should be able to appear (I know there are tales of ghostly feet and limbs, but these almost always seem to be attached to a ghostly figure that just isn't visible) Just a leg, lying around?
As with living things it might be a question of scale. You would notice a house but not a brick. Was the "floating brick" that IIRC was photographed at Borley a real brick or a phantom one?

As @Paul_Exeter says is it because we tend to see a ghost as 'the soul of a dead person willingly manifesting itself' rather than as something else such as a time slip.

I suppose apports may feature here as well, where are they from?

As some have suggested many people we see in a crowd (or even parts of people because do you always see every part of a person in a crowd) could be ghosts. Therefore could some birds or bushes or ladybirds we see be ghosts as well - whatever we define a ghost as?

@catseye there are a lot of battlefield ghosts (well for certain battlefields anyway) maybe where you would expect to see more bits rather than the usual phantom soldiers?

The global cat population is around half a billion, whereas tigers are teetering on the brink of extinction. Domestic cats have had a close affinity with humans for thousands of years, whereas most of us will never see a tiger in the flesh. So, if a ghost manifests itself in the remote jungle and there's no human there to witness it, does it exist?

Regarding plants, there was a big flap a few years back about Kirlian photography, which would appear to show a glowing aura around any living matter. Famously, if a part of a leaf were torn away, the photograph would still show a ghostly outline of the missing portion:

kirlian.png

Sceptics dismiss the effect however as contamination of the photographic plate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirlian_photography

Back