• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Platypus In New Guinea

Richyboyo

Junior Acolyte
Is it generally known in cryptozoology circles that the platypus may once have existed in Papua New Guinea? See here. Sorry about the poor quality,this is a small part of a much longer article,from the
1546538727182.png
Morning Oregonian of March 24 1933

I suspect this newspaper article is a tongue-in-cheek sports item. Here's why ...

- It's from a 1930's Oregon newspaper.
- It refers to a 'pennant' - the baseball-specific synonym for a championship.
- Portland (Oregon) had a competitive baseball team in the old Pacific Coast League during the 1930's.
- This team was known as the Portland Beaver-Ducks.
- The 'Beaver-Ducks' name derives from the mascots of Oregon's 2 state universities (Oregon Ducks; Oregon State Beavers).

The storied 'Civil War' football rivalry between these 2 schools would later be commemorated with a 'Platypus Trophy' from 1959 onward - illustrating the connection between 'Beaver-Ducks' and a platypus.

Thanks EnolaGaia.
Do you think "Beaver Ducks" then were ALWAYS non-cryptozoological or are there any authentic cases of N.American platypus-cryptids?

Thanks EnolaGaia.
Do you think "Beaver Ducks" then were ALWAYS non-cryptozoological or are there any authentic cases of N.American platypus-cryptids?

The notion of "platypus = beaver + duck" is pretty straightforward, given that it looks like a duck in the front and like a beaver in the rear ...

d3cac8f3b85c9ec0e871ee4217f4459b.jpg

Still, I'm not aware that 'beaver duck' has ever been a colloquial term for a platypus. I've failed to turn up any allusions to 'beaver duck' that:

- aren't modern,
- indicate widespread familiarity with or usage of the phrase,
- aren't somehow associated with the Oregon / Oregon State rivalry, and / or ...
- aren't references to the Portland baseball team.

As to the crypto connection ...

The platypus was originally something of a cryptid, in the sense European zoologists examining the first pelts or specimens from Australia assumed they were manufactured hoaxes.

I don't think I've ever encountered any claims of a cryptid platypus or a cryptid described as platypus-like.

Having said that ...

There are larger versions of today's platypus in the Australian fossil record, and there's at least one extinct platypus-like creature known from South America (Monotrematum sudamericanum).

This leaves the door open for the notion of a relict platypus ancestor / relative as a cryptid.

Back