• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Podcast On Scottish Witchcraft

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Especially the witchhunts. Covers local and national differences, the influence of class and politics (small and large P!), the Fair Folk, possible pagan survival...

Very engaging talking heads who know their subject and enjoy it with zest :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07tqzcq

@EnolaGaia is there scope for an overarching Scottish Witchcraft area? I could see several candidates for inclusion.

@EnolaGaia is there scope for an overarching Scottish Witchcraft area? I could see several candidates for inclusion.
I'm not sure I understand ... Do you mean a dedicated Scottish Witchcraft thread? If so - you need only start it. We can always merge relevant stuff into it.

Or do you mean something else?

There are quite different topics. One thread would make it harder to find stuff as a group, rather than easier.

Do we have scope for witchcraft as a big topic and then subtopics containing threads?

Do we have scope for witchcraft as a big topic and then subtopics containing threads?
OK, I think I understand better now ... I thought you were asking about some sort of area dedicated to Scottish witchcraft. Now I get the impression you mean an area dedicated to witchcraft overall.

Do you mean establishing a sub-section within Esoterica dedicated to witchcraft?

In principle - yes, such a thing could be done.

In practice - there would need to be a clear specification for what the sub-section's thematic scope may be. There's also the follow-on issue of whether or to what extent other renovations might be justified within Esoterica.

Or do you mean spinning off witchcraft material into its own top-level section / forum (at the same level as Esoterica)?

OK, I think I understand better now ... I thought you were asking about some sort of area dedicated to Scottish witchcraft. Now I get the impression you mean an area dedicated to witchcraft overall.

Do you mean establishing a sub-section within Esoterica dedicated to witchcraft?

In principle - yes, such a thing could be done.

In practice - there would need to be a clear specification for what the sub-section's thematic scope may be. There's also the follow-on issue of whether or to what extent other renovations might be justified within Esoterica.

Or do you mean spinning off witchcraft material into its own top-level section / forum (at the same level as Esoterica)?

Hadn't thought of the last but I like it!

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I hope it mentions Forfar. (where I live). It was the major place for a good bit of witch burning in the 1600's. Our local museum still has an authentic 'Witch' s Branks '

I also have a really nice, locally published book called' The Forfar Witches'

Even though it all happened over 350 years ago, feelings still run high about the poor woman. A wee monument was created a few years back at Forfar Loch. - Where the witches were caught dancing with the devil.

Ah, Forfar, I could bore you all day long aboot it!

Got the name wrong, not looked at it for a whiley. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20211004_132659~2.jpg
    IMG_20211004_132659~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20211004_132710~2.jpg
    IMG_20211004_132710~2.jpg
    960.2 KB · Views: 9
and dagnabbit! another one on my Must Have When I Can Find One list. :)

Here's a random - but almost not ridiculously tangential - fact that just fell out of my memory like a dead fish falling out of a bucket.

I believe I'm right in saying that the first time that the C bomb was ever dropped on the BBC was in a drama/documentary about the North Berwick witch trials - way back in the early 2000's, it would have been (the TV programme, not the witch trials).

I think the programme was called Witch Trial, or Witch Craze, and I have a vivid memory of the word being delivered by the Scottish actor Ewan Stewart (not a household name, maybe - but I would guess instantly recognisable to most UK viewers).

It's kind of odd that I recall it, because I watched bugger all TV for several years around that period - but then, maybe that sparsity is why I remember it.

It was interesting because the word was clearly used to reflect the common vernacular of the time, rather than as an expletive - but it still caused a bit of a fuss.

Possibly a useful bit of trivia for a pub quiz - at least, if you go to the types of pub I do.

Here's a random - but almost not ridiculously tangential - fact that just fell out of my memory like a dead fish falling out of a bucket.

:rollingw:
I think the programme was called Witch Trial, or Witch Craze, and I have a vivid memory of the word being delivered by the Scottish actor Ewan Stewart (not a household name, maybe - but I would guess instantly recognisable to most UK viewers).

Witchcraze! I think it was all one word... At least if it was associated with an early 90s book by Barstow or Bairstow?

edit to add: the book is cruddy history but a rattling good read :)

...Witchcraze! I think it was all one word... At least if it was associated with an early 90s book by Barstow or Bairstow?

edit to add: the book is cruddy history but a rattling good read :)

Yup. The IMDb has it as Witchcraze.

Can't find much relevant information about it online apart from this here page.

I'm mildly chuffed that - in this particular instance - my memory hasn't made too much of a hash of the apparent facts.

Back