Podcast Section

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm disappointed by most podcasts, a lot of which are far too long with a lot of waffle. I quite like Astonishing Legends though - their Flannan Islands one was really good. Again very long but a lot of detail + a contribution by a writer who'd investigated the story in depth, had actually been there etc.

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Met Richard MacLean Smith today at his talk in Balloch Library. It was great! Took my 11 year old daughter along and we both really enjoyed it - he used the music from his podcast and spoke engagingly for about an hour which flew past. He signed the book for my daughter and took pics with us - I have no idea why I gave the thumbs up, I don't normally do that lol (if you haven't already guessed, I'm the bald one). He even recognised me when I came in, shook my hand and asked me about my own books and experiences doing author talks which I thought was good of him.

Of course, as soon as I shared the pics on Facebook someone said, "Nice Romance sign" :rollingw:
60382731_2805356132824750_8352610341493932032_o.jpg

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
BTW, when I say he recognised me, I mean from Twitter. :p

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Boozy, irreverent interview with a fat fat bald cryptozoologist on Evil Science and Magic Buddies.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Not Fortean, but I've recently been listening to "Philosophize This". It's quite entertaining and enlightening. The podcaster gives easy to understand talks about different philosophers, the times in which they lived and has several years worth of podcasts to listen. He also clearly enjoys philosophy and wants everyone to not be intimidated by the subject and "to know more today than you did yesterday".

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
Really enjoying listening to the Mafia Podcast at the moment.

https://audioboom.com/channel/mafia

Sam Giancana, Gotti, Carmine Galante and Donnie Brasco (FBI Agent Joe Pistone) all being top-notch productions providing a look at recent history through a very dirty lens.

Experts, authors, eye-witnesses and ex-law enforcement all get a say, so this isn't a glorification of crime rather an insight into undercover surveillance techniques and the sometimes mundane day-to-day reality of life in the Mob.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I’ve decided to start my own Fortean/Paranormal podcast.

Now! Where do I start?

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
From Tonight’s Paranormal Thoughts Podcast

You wake up in the middle of the night, unable to move and feel the sensation of being watched. You open your eyes to find a dark shadowy figure standing in your room, watching silently. In this episode we breakdown some of the knowledge we have gathered about these beings to hopefully open our minds to what "Shadow People" might be.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Plus a new Lore and a new Morbid Curiosity Podcast

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Good article in today’s “Knock Once for Yes” podcast. Anyone interested in these Talking Boards would likely enjoy this podcast. About 1 hour 10 minutes into the podcast.
I posted this in the Ouija thread this morning but thought it would be at home here. Not sure if it is “bad etiquette” to cross / re-post your own posts. If it is I will self-flagellate three times a day after meals for a week.
That would be more favourable than a week on metronidazole.

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Not about monsters or anything, but the past couple of weeks I've been re-watching The Prisoner (on Bluray - looks amazing but really shows up things like stunt doubles which no-one would have noticed on their tiny CRT telly in 1967!) and listening to The Prisoner Podcast. It reminds me of the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast in the way it's two regular guys watching each episode and saying what they think of it. No waffle, no crap, sometimes amusing, it's really good!
I've just about given up on Mysterious Universe though, most recent episodes are about really crazy books or whatever, I can't take it seriously. And neither can they half the time, as they take the piss out of the books and the ludicrous claims in them so...why bother covering them? Meh.
Astonishing Legends is just starting a series on the Voynich Manuscript though so I'm really looking forward to that.
I also tried Where Did The Road Go which had some episodes on Missing 411-type stuff and enjoyed that a lot. Worth a listen.

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I've just about given up on Mysterious Universe though, most recent episodes are about really crazy books or whatever, I can't take it seriously. And neither can they half the time, as they take the piss out of the books and the ludicrous claims in them so...why bother covering them? Meh.
Amen to that.

Astonishing Legends is just starting a series on the Voynich Manuscript though so I'm really looking forward to that.
That one also annoyed me as the whole first episode covered theories that have been discredited through the recent dating of the manuscript.

I also tried Where Did The Road Go which had some episodes on Missing 411-type stuff and enjoyed that a lot. Worth a listen.
Still one of my favorite Poddies out there.

Tapeloop

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
An ancient but very similar podcast is Anything Ghost - more listener stories yet the host does well to keep the silly "I'm haunted by a demon" type stories that plague Real Ghost Stories Online to a minimum.
Thanks for the recommendation on this, it is wonderful bedtime listening.

Another one I quite like (with reservations) is Into The Fray Radio. Sometimes it is chats with authors or general paranormal bods, and more often it is long and rambling IHTM tales, usually just the one guest for a 90 minute odd show and mainly Bigfoot or crypto based. She's a good host (features in the new Small Town Monsters film) and asks some good questions, but it is very rambling. Bit longer than I'd prefer, but if you have an interesting person on then it's okay.

https://intothefrayradio.com/

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Could the guy in Mysterious Universe use the word "essentially" any more? I think he must be trying for a Guinness World Record in each episode.

Acheron101

Flaneur and Dilettante
Reaction score
There's an 10 part version of Lovecraft's 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward' on the BBC sounds website. Purists beware it has been 'updated', but don't let that put you off. I normally find Radio 4 dramas far too smug and middle class, but this was made by an external production company and I really enjoyed it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06t51w8

:fhtagn:

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying "The Ghost Guys" someone on here mentioned.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've been listening to the Dearly Departed podcasts lately that come out of L.A. Run by Hollywood historian Scott Michaels (also former boyfriend/partner of Graham Norton) and film producer Mike Dorsey it concentrates on the grimmer side of Hollywood and it's legends. It's dark, it's morbid, sometimes crude, always interesting and funny.
They focus on dead Celebrities and their weird lifestyles and also take a look at t/v shows and movies and the legends, true and otherwise that have grown up around them.
For anyone with an interest on the seedier side of the rich and famous (also the sometimes not so well known) tune in.
Ever wanted to know how Tiny Tim lived his life and died? Whatever happened to Pugsley Adam's (Ken Weatherwax) ashes? Listen in to fin out.
It's on the Podbean network, just search for Dearly Departed Podcasts.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have been listening to a number of podcasts for a long time and recently a number have introduced extensive advertising and are additionally asking me to join Patreon and give them the cost of a cup of coffee each month. Some of the USA based ones are asking for $5 a month.
I subscribe to about 60 podcasts, some are good and I would listen to every episode, some less so and I can start listening but delete after a minute or so.
I may be wrong but I thought Podcasting was a hobby and I have been asking my Son about starting one myself (he has some GCSE’s in media) but it would seem that some are now looking for it to be an income stream. Some have recently started putting the second half of the podcast behind a paywall.
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this. I’m happy to pay for 3 or 4 of the good ones but some of them can churn out poor quality podcasts on occasion. One of my real favourites has just put out two consecutive casts that fall below their usual quality which makes me reticent to give them a monthly fee.
Am I being unreasonable?

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been listening to a number of podcasts for a long time and recently a number have introduced extensive advertising and are additionally asking me to join Patreon and give them the cost of a cup of coffee each month. Some of the USA based ones are asking for $5 a month.
I subscribe to about 60 podcasts, some are good and I would listen to every episode, some less so and I can start listening but delete after a minute or so.
I may be wrong but I thought Podcasting was a hobby and I have been asking my Son about starting one myself (he has some GCSE’s in media) but it would seem that some are now looking for it to be an income stream. Some have recently started putting the second half of the podcast behind a paywall.
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this. I’m happy to pay for 3 or 4 of the good ones but some of them can churn out poor quality podcasts on occasion. One of my real favourites has just put out two consecutive casts that fall below their usual quality which makes me reticent to give them a monthly fee.
Am I being unreasonable?
Things like the excellent Folklore Podcast are free but if you subscribe you get extra bits, so you can get the basic service for free and if you want the whistle and bells then you can subscribe. There are also some books available so if you still want to help out but don’t want to subscriber you can buy some books and feed in money that way.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Things like the excellent Folklore Podcast are free but if you subscribe you get extra bits, so you can get the basic service for free and if you want the whistle and bells then you can subscribe. There are also some books available so if you still want to help out but don’t want to subscriber you can buy some books and feed in money that way.
I tend to listen to the Paranormal ones, a few true crime and some food based podcasts. It’s the paranormal and a few of the true crime ones that most noticeably are now adding the advertising etc.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to listen to the Paranormal ones, a few true crime and some food based podcasts. It’s the paranormal and a few of the true crime ones that most noticeably are now adding the advertising etc.
The Folklore podcast has a few things like black dogs etc that might interest you.

KOFY_Fitz

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Am I being unreasonable?
Coming from the other side of the fence, you might be surprised at how expensive podcasting can be especially if you start getting some big download numbers. As well as being a podcaster myself, I also do editing for others and one of my clients is paying around £700 a month in hosting alone.

Even for the smaller hobbyists you have web hosting, podcast/data hosting, equipment and software and that's before you take into account research materials and other incidental costs. Before I was made redundant, we were spending around £20-30 a month on research materials, £50+ a month in travel to visit locations and often paying more than that for entrance fees as well as well as a number of other costs that add up quickly. Then you have all the time involved in researching, writing, recording, mixing etc. It probably takes us around 20 hours to put a show together from scratch.

When I was earning a decent wage we bascially swallowed these costs like many podcasts do but I don't see any reason why podcasters shouldn't have a patreon accout for those that wish to support them. In our case it is the only way we can afford to keep producing it! We don't have ads on our show so it is pretty much the only way we get any return on our costs and whilst we would love to be able to have enough coming in to allow us to do the show full time, I don't expect that will happen any time soon. We do keep all our shows free but patrons get some bonus material and physical rewards depending on their pledge level. I'm actually just sending out Christmas postcards to our patrons now.

I was really surprised that we have so many patrons paying $5 a month and above. I was expecting that the majority would do $1 or $2 a month but the majority do $5 a month or more. It was actually quite humbling that there were so many people wanting to help support the show. I would still hope though that most podcast creators would take the view, as we do, that the support is really helpful but we will still produce the show for free for everyone to enjoy.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
To be quite honest Fitz your podcast is one of the ones I would/will subscribe to. The spooktator is also one that springs immediately to mind. 4 good quality podcasts at a fiver a month I would not object to but, whilst I am still lucky enough to be gainfully employed, my wife retired in March and we are feeling the pinch at a halving of our monthly income.