• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Shit which episode?? That will be the death of the podcast IMHO.

Hard to see it carrying on as a one man show isn't it? I'm pretty sure he's left now, the Trolls episode from this week they talk about it. He said he was holding the show back more or less, with his real life commitments :(

Hard to see it carrying on as a one man show isn't it? I'm pretty sure he's left now, the Trolls episode from this week they talk about it. He said he was holding the show back more or less, with his real life commitments :(

yep it can't work with just one. I'll listen to the latest episode. I'm still going through the old episodes. My favorite podcast by a mile. Debil baby, Haints, etc...

Just listened to the latest.

God Flora sounds depressed.

We don't need another Astonishing Legends - we have that. We want two guys who are a bit drunk talking shite in silly voices about the paranormal.

I listen to many podcasts of a Fortean nature, usually at night to help me drop off, top one at present is Lore but here are a few others
Bedtime stories
Case file
Pleasing terrors
Strange podcast
The strange and unusual
The unexplained with Howard Hughes
Unexplained

I’ve tried many others of a paranormal nature but they seem to be run by groups of delinquents who pepper the whole show with swearing and laughing and don’t really treat the subjects with any seriousness. Some of these get good ratings so they do appeal to some, but are not my cup of tea.

There are a few good crime ones out there as well if that floats your boat.

I'll have a look at those. I know what you mean about the laughing and silliness - I listen to Monster Talk fairly regularly and the host of that thinks he's hilarious with silly puns. He practically kills himself laughing at his own jokes at least a handful of times each podcast and it's pretty irritating.

I can recommend the Heaven's Gate podcast. It's just wound up — it's about ten hours long in total, a really in-depth look at the Heaven's Gate cult. The presenter himself grew up in a cult, and has some personal interest in and understanding of the issues. He also interviews former members, parents, etc, and uses a lot of archive material.

Have just binged Steal the Stars (a good satisfying story that doesn’t go where you expect it to) and The White Vault (creepy ongoing story set in the frozen north, told in the form of logsand journals, complete with the worst voice actor ever).

Would recommend giving both a try.

I've listened to a couple of episodes from the podcast covered in this latest issue (363 I think) - STRANGE.
First was the Devil's Footprints which I have to say was dry and pretty boring.
Second was on weird noises like the "Bloop" and the Hum. This was a good episode which I enjoyed BUT it irritated me to hear them playing the recent "sky sounds", most of which I'm sure are faked, as examples of the Hum! The presenter is talking about how only certain people can hear them, yet playing audio of something clearly everyone can hear. Poor show.
Still, I'll continue listening!

I can recommend the Heaven's Gate podcast.

Now that you mention it ... there are three nice episodes here:
http://podcast.sjrdesign.net/tree.html

Impossible to find this one on the internet. But it sounds so cool:
On Vanishing Land (2013, 45m) is a magisterial audio-essay that evokes a walk undertaken by the artists along the Suffolk coastline in 2005, extending from the globalisation entry-point of Felixstowe container port to the ancestral revenants summoned by the Anglo-Saxon burial ground at Sutton Hoo.

I suspect the last two fragments on this page might be related to this audio artwork. They sound quite eerie:
https://soundcloud.com/mark-fisher-12

And the artsy texts around this audio artwork point to this BBC movie:

Last edited:
Have been enjoying the Strange Familiars podcast lately, haven't listened to this episode yet but sounds interesting, the book mentioned, Orbducted in the French Quarter by Alta and Chad Dillard looks good too,

27750095_10155119016061994_7236700358122051163_n.jpg

In 1997, Chad, Alta and Christine were taken from the corner of Frenchman Street and Decatur in the French Quarter. They call this "the night of missing time" where the three have shared their own individual experiences. Everything from Chad's Blue Being encounter, Alta's blonde Female Being and the unknown object found in the arm. Their story will take your breath away.

http://www.earthodysseynola.com/ecommerce/books/orbducted-in-the-french-quarter.html

Music during exercise doesn't hack it for me so I used to listen to podcasts. The Pseudopod/Podcastle (horror fiction/science fiction stories) ones were good. Some of the Pseudopod ones were a bit near the knuckle. Perfect for lifting!

I have been hoping they will cover the Escape Artists Podcasts in the magazine soon, as they are excellent:

Pseudopod for Horror http://pseudopod.org/
Escape Pod for Science Fiction http://escapepod.org/
Podcastle for Fantasy http://podcastle.org/

with plenty of blurred lines between the three! Probably just posted this in the wrong place, but never mind.

I want to add my voice to say how fantastic the Podcast section is. I'm just downloading some from the Paranormal Podcast to listen to over time.

It's really like having the radio but instead of pot luck I can choose specifically what I listen to. I love it.

Bedtime podcasts're the way forward. Some of the paranormal ones have awful music and sound effects but you soon learn what's good.

Well, I'll discuss the links too, if anyone listens to them :fhtagn:
Monster Talk is good but a bit TOO skeptical for my liking. The Coffee With Jeff one is okay but basically just a run-down of various stories, by one guy, so not hugely entertaining.
HPL Literary Podcast is, IMO, awesome. The two guys have fun and are quite amusing at times, and, well, if you love HPL's writing as much as I do, it's just really cool to hear the stories dissected.

Have you tried A Podcast to the Curious? It began as a discussion of each of James' stories and has now moved on to other writers in the genre. Erudite and often humorous, but not never raucous or irrelevant.
(I say that because there's an episode-by-episode podcast about my favourite TV series that I used to listen to but have now given up on after it became rather ego-driven and silly.)

A Podcast to the Curious

I have recently got into podcasts in a big way, I would say Lore and Unexplained are my favourites, both very good quality. For all you ghost fans I would recommend Haunted, it's had 1 season so far which I think was 10 episodes, I found it genuinely chilling as the presenter speaks to people who claim to have seen ghosts in a very non-dramatised way which for me made it all very realistic and plausible. The presenter is very easy to listen to as well, the perfect voice for a podcast. I really enjoyed Haunted.
I also listen to Haunted Places which is done by a voice actor so is very entertaining and informative, thoroughly enjoyable.
On the downside ..... I didn't enjoy the couple of episodes of Monster Talk I listened to at all, I found it far too rambling and unstructured, I realise it's a discussion podcast but there was no direction to it, I very quickly got bored.
I was also disappointed with Strange, the subject matter was always interesting but the podcasts were too short and half of the time was taken up by the relentless plugging of the website and the presenter reading out messages from fans.
If anyone can recommend some other ghost-related podcasts that are genuinely scary then please do!

I'll check out those recommendations LF! Not listened to much in the way of podcasts lately, been hooked by Daphne du Maurier's audiobooks.

If you like the "Tamam Shud" or "Somerton Man" case, you will probably enjoy this one:

"Death in the Ice Valley"

An unidentified body. Who was she? Why hasn’t she been missed? A BBC World Service and NRK original podcast, investigating a mystery unsolved for almost half a century.

A real cold war crime case from Norway. The pace of the podcast is glacial, but I like that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p060ms2h

I checked out the podcast covered in the latest (or was it last?) FT - Mysterious Universe. The episode about The Vertical Plane was great. That book is available again on Amazon for a good price too!
Anyway, the MU podcast is really good. Listened to few so far and they're quite enjoyable although the hosts aren't skeptical enough IMO.

I thoroughly enjoyed the back catalogue of Unexplained with Howard Hughes but became disenchanted with the constant UFO and Conspiracy episodes, and some of his latter guests are, quite frankly, bonkers. Sadly I ended up unsubscribing as I found I was no longer enjoying these particular podcasts.

I thoroughly enjoyed the back catalogue of Unexplained with Howard Hughes but became disenchanted with the constant UFO and Conspiracy episodes, and some of his latter guests are, quite frankly, bonkers. Sadly I ended up unsubscribing as I found I was no longer enjoying these particular podcasts.

I'm still listening. And yes, some of his guests are bonkers, but that's all part of the fun.

As Howard has often explained, he just wants people to make up their own minds.

I've been enjoying reading the podcast section in the magazine, but do we really need that 1/3 page explanation of what a podcast is every time?

I've been enjoying reading the podcast section in the magazine, but do we really need that 1/3 page explanation of what a podcast is every time?
Apparently we don't need any of it, since it's not in the new issue. Reviews of shitey horror movies and the like still in there though. :rage:

I've listened to them all - where's the new ones?! :frust:

It IS quite good BTW. I don't really buy any of the stories covered, apart from possibly the one in the hospital where the stuff's going flying. But they're entertaining.

It IS quite good BTW. I don't really buy any of the stories covered, apart from possibly the one in the hospital where the stuff's going flying. But they're entertaining.

I've said it before the he resident arch-skeptic "parapsychologist" puts me off as he rubbishes the nurses testimony and comes up with frankly stupid theories as to what happened.

The guy is a knob. A Skeptic that doesn't apply the rigors of scientific principal to his own theories.

Depends what you mean by buying the stories ... a recent FT article included a quote that said something like 'You can believe the witness without believing what the witness is saying' .... and that's the way I see most of the Haunted stories. I do believe most of the witnesses saw what they say they did .. but whether what they saw was 'real' is a whole different matter, and indeed is the point of the podcast, why do people see ghosts?

Personally I found the 100mph ghost episode the creepiest and most plausible, with the hospital one a close second. The least plausible by a mile was the guy doing tours of the ex-prison! The racist ghost didn't wash with me either.

Glad you were entertained anyway, the main reason for listening to any podcast.

Back