• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I've said it before the he resident arch-skeptic "parapsychologist" puts me off as he rubbishes the nurses testimony and comes up with frankly stupid theories as to what happened.

The guy is a knob. A Skeptic that doesn't apply the rigors of scientific principal to his own theories.

It's the guy from Most Haunted I think? Yeah, his explanations were laughable. "It was ultrasound." That hardly explains stuff flying about the room. "That was the cleaner". Yeah, cleaners are doing their rounds in the middle of the night....
Nonsense.

Depends what you mean by buying the stories ... a recent FT article included a quote that said something like 'You can believe the witness without believing what the witness is saying' .... and that's the way I see most of the Haunted stories. I do believe most of the witnesses saw what they say they did .. but whether what they saw was 'real' is a whole different matter, and indeed is the point of the podcast, why do people see ghosts?

Personally I found the 100mph ghost episode the creepiest and most plausible, with the hospital one a close second. The least plausible by a mile was the guy doing tours of the ex-prison! The racist ghost didn't wash with me either.

Glad you were entertained anyway, the main reason for listening to any podcast.

I did like it, the presenter was good and he did a fine job. I had a look for other podcasts called "Haunted" and tried one that was just 3 women talking a complete load of bollocks in what sounded like a bathroom. Loads of gratuitious swearing, talk of sexy mens' chests and basically just 3 women gossiping. It was atrocious. The episode I listened to was supposed to be about EVP but their drivel was more offensive to my ears than any spooky EVP could ever be.

I discovered a brilliant podcast recently called Sherds Podcast, it's hosted by two guys who review unusual and relatively obscure works of fiction, some of which could fall under the fortean bracket. The description on their site reads, ''A literary discussion programme exploring the peripheries of world literature and unearthing neglected texts from outside the mainstream canon''.

http://www.holdfastnetwork.com/sherdspodcast

Here's a good episode on Algernon Blackwood's 1912 story, The Man Whom the Trees Loved,

http://www.holdfastnetwork.com/sher...an-whom-the-trees-loved-by-algernon-blackwood

I've tried lots of fortean-themed podcasts. Many fall into a pattern of two fanboys exchanging private jokes, whatever the subject. The more earnest ones often have jangling 'spooky' music.

The bar was set for me by A Podcast to the Curious, about the work of M.R. James. Two blokes who know what they're talking about and don't giggle at how outrageous they are. Monty would be proud of them!

Been striding diligently through Rune Soup for a few months now and have learned a ton of esoteric, occult and magic history. Gordon White is currently my absolute favourite voice online. He's got the gift. He knows his stuff. He has the best guests. He knows the best books. Fort gets many a mention too.

Those Conspiracy Guys were covered in a recent FT so I downloaded three of their podcasts as they were apparently really good.
Not for me. I wanted to hear a chat about the flat earth theory but what you get is three guys cracking mostly poor jokes for literally 6 hours. There was very little discussion about flat earth, it was mostly daft nonsense like 3 guys in the pub would come out with. Don't get me wrong, lots of it was rather funny, but I wanted to hear a podcast about flat earth theories, not a comedy show.
Gave up on it after about an hour and a half, tried the one about Aleister Crowley and gave up on that too. Took them about half an hour even to start talking about him!

Those Conspiracy Guys were covered in a recent FT so I downloaded three of their podcasts as they were apparently really good.
Not for me. I wanted to hear a chat about the flat earth theory but what you get is three guys cracking mostly poor jokes for literally 6 hours. There was very little discussion about flat earth, it was mostly daft nonsense like 3 guys in the pub would come out with. Don't get me wrong, lots of it was rather funny, but I wanted to hear a podcast about flat earth theories, not a comedy show.
Gave up on it after about an hour and a half, tried the one about Aleister Crowley and gave up on that too. Took them about half an hour even to start talking about him!

Yup, a lot of podcasts are just that, blokes cracking feeble in-jokes and waffling. Some have silly sound effects and sudden bursts of loud music. Probably OK to half listen to on a long car journey when it doesn't matter if you miss a lot.

The best fan podcast I've heard is A Podcast to the Curious, about the works of M.R. James. It's by two youngish British blokes who stick to the point.

Yup, a lot of podcasts are just that, blokes cracking feeble in-jokes and waffling. Some have silly sound effects and sudden bursts of loud music. Probably OK to half listen to on a long car journey when it doesn't matter if you miss a lot.

The best fan podcast I've heard is A Podcast to the Curious, about the works of M.R. James. It's by two youngish British blokes who stick to the point.
Sounds like the HP Lovecraft one, similar style, I really loved that.

Yep, I hate it. I couldn't stand 'Mysterious Universe' for that reason, much less 'the last podcast on the left' which was also really tasteless but not in a good way. Paradoxically, I love 'stuff they don't want you know', which fits this description, but I find the hosts genuinely clever and witty and possessed of great mutual chemistry.

Yep, I hate it. I couldn't stand 'Mysterious Universe' for that reason, much less 'the last podcast on the left' which was also really tasteless but not in a good way. Paradoxically, I love 'stuff they don't want you know', which fits this description, but I find the hosts genuinely clever and witty and possessed of great mutual chemistry.
There's a 'stuff they don't want you know' channel on Youtube. Is that the same thing/same people?

Yep, I hate it. I couldn't stand 'Mysterious Universe' for that reason.

Must admit, that's now my favourite podcast, I find them really amusing. I don't think they're sceptical enough at times and I haven't loved every episode but I've listened to loads now and really look forward to the new one every Friday.

I've tried Aaron Mahnke (of Lore fame)'s new Podcast, Aaron Mahnke's Cabinet of Curiosities. It's very slight, with quick overviews of two mysteries in a nine-minute slot. It's akin to skimming through little panel articles in a magazine.

I've tried Aaron Mahnke (of Lore fame)'s new Podcast, Aaron Mahnke's Cabinet of Curiosities. It's very slight, with quick overviews of two mysteries in a nine-minute slot. It's akin to skimming through little panel articles in a magazine.
I enjoy the Cabinet. Quite a few people knock it for being over too quickly but I already spend too much time listening to podcasts so it's refreshing to have one that is short and sweet. It's not Lore but it isn't meant to be.

Thanks for posting that, I now won't bother with it, I haven't got time for podcasts that mess about, so to speak. Crucial listening time saved!

I listened to a couple of episodes of Anything Ghost recently, it's an American guy who literally just reads out submissions sent in by listeners about their paranormal experiences, and on occasion the listener reads their story out themself. It's very quick-fire, when one story finishes it's straight into the next one without any afterthoughts or discussion. This may either attract people or put them off. I personally like a bit of reflection on a story, as they do in KOFY, but Anything Ghost is still a good listen, the host strikes the right tone. There is a huge back-catalogue but you have to pay for almost all of it, there are still a few episodes available for free though (the most recent ones).

I still have Unexplained up there as my number one ..... I can't fault it, just an excellent podcast.

Have been enjoying some of the free episodes of the H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast recently, after discovering it in a recent FT. If you're interested in the Lovecraftian genre and Weird Fiction I would recommend giving it a listen. They have uploaded plenty of good free episodes so you can check it out before paying for the Patreon episodes. Especially liked the episode in which they discussed the very bizarre stories in Pu Songling's (1640 - 1715) collection of stories, Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio.

http://hppodcraft.com/podcasts/

Thanks for posting that, I now won't bother with it, I haven't got time for podcasts that mess about, so to speak. Crucial listening time saved!
Euphomet is another similar one. I tried that today but skipped most of the waffle then got bored and turned it off.
Thankfully the new episode of Unexplained had downloaded itself, one about Oak Island.

From what you guys are saying, you should try Bedtime Stories.

I have listened to many very good podcasts in my time, but this one is defo in my top tier.

No adverts, no groups of guys laughing and joking as they discuss things, there is just one narrator who focuses on well known cases throughout history, with a couple of urban legends thrown in (those are the exception rather than the rule) and even some cases I have never heard of. They just tell the stories in a narrative style and then present a summary of facts at the end and leave it to the listener to decide. They are never overly sceptical or naive.

The only criticism I could level at them is that I'd like their episodes to be a bit longer as they usually range from 20-30 mins, but I can understand this given that they are primarily a YouTube channel.

Seriously, give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Back