• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pointless CCTV Images

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
There are a lot of examples around of cctv images of suspects where you can't make out a great deal, and then there are some that are just so bad they're pointless.

Christmas Presents Stolen From Van in York

Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 8.34.11 PM.png

The only Fortean aspect to this is why they even bother.

Oh, hang on, we have a description to go on too:

"The male suspect had shaved hair at the back and sides. The woman had long hair and wore large earrings."

:lol:

OneWingedBird said:
"The male suspect had shaved hair at the back and sides. The woman had long hair and wore large earrings."

That narrows it down a lot.

:)

CCTV released of two men wanted in connection with a rape in Leeds city centre:

Here's a close up of the face of the dude who is facing the camera:

That would be laughable if it wasn't such a serious offencse. :(

Ah, what they need there is one of those "Enhance" (i.e. add pixels) buttons like they have on the computers on CSI...

last summer my work was robbed of two strimmers and a pressure cleaner. The cctv was perfect. clear front and side views of both scum. Still no arrests.

titchagain said:
last summer my work was robbed of two strimmers and a pressure cleaner. The cctv was perfect. clear front and side views of both scum. Still no arrests.
In my last job the CCTV got good pics of a shoplifter in the act. The police were called but never turned up... About four days later a colleague encountered a PC nearby, and dragged him in to see the footage, but by then it was too late to follow up. I wrote a letter to the local paper complaining about this response, only giving as much detail as is in this post. Nevertheless, some lying police inspector wrote to the paper in reply saying the case had been solved and the suspect arrested! How did he even know which case was involved? And how come no-one told us, in the shop? :evil:

I'm firmly of the belief that CCTV is of no real use to anyone, unless Mr Plod is told of a crime in progress and catches the villain in the act.

My brother's van was broken into, all his tools stolen, broad daylight, right in front of a CCTV post. He was told that there was footage of two men pulling up next to his van and emptying it - they had the reg no but could track the car anyway through town. The car was known to the police, as was the address they went to...but Plod said that "there wasn't enough evidence" to go and nick the suspects! They claimed the men were career criminals, would deny all knowledge and that would be the end of the line.

When we asked for the name or address so we could go and ask nicely if they knew anything about the tools, we were told in no uncertain terms that if anything happened to the men, WE would be getting the knocked door.

So, it would seem that career criminals know the system, they know that flat denial that it's them in the CCTV is going to be enough. By the time any trial came around, they would have grown/shaved hair enough to raise doubts anyway.

When you or I get told by a policeman that they have good CCTV footage of us breaking the law, we start making excuses or backpedalling from our original story, rather than maintaining in the face of crystal clear pics, that it's not us, however ridiculous that may be.

So, if you get pulled for anything and there's apparent CCTV, say it's not you, ask them to prove it's you and say nothing else. I believe that if it's not a SERIOUS offence, they'll free you and go and nail someone else who will cave in at the mention of the "infallible" eye in the sky.

OneWingedBird said:
Anyone recognise this dude?

I don't recognise that guy but this guy had Michael Rennie as a accomplice and could probably be found hanging around Central Park in New York.

OneWingedBird said:
Here's a close up of the face of the dude who is facing the camera:

:) Right! I'll contact authorities if he turns up.

Moooksta said:
OneWingedBird said:
Anyone recognise this dude?

I don't recognise that guy but this guy had Michael Rennie as a accomplice and could probably be found hanging around Central Park in New York.

Hasn't that guy now got a career in music? Daft Punk.

Yet another epic fail brought to you by West Yorkshire Police and the Yorkshire Evening Post.

MORE%20SHITE%20CCTV_zps99wcwj6h.jpg

There's also quite revolting video from the camera on the news page. I'd support it being there if it was going to help catch the guy, or something, as it is it's just there for an unpleasant thrill.

Once again, really bad quality video. Horrific attack.

Yes I've often wondered why the vision is so blurred and if it isn't there's a block put over the suspects faces.
How could anyone recognise them and report to the police?

We obviously can't recognise them. But their friends and family instantly will. Clothing, how they walk, body posture, where they were and who they were with etc. Look at One WingedBirds post about the Leeds city centre rape. Hopeless photograph but in Leeds, somebody may have seen them that night in a bar or something. A friend of a friend maybe.

And the very first post in the thread, again we wouldn't recognise them but somebody will see that and say "That's Barry and Caz. She always has that body warmer etc"

The article gives the location as Beeston Road near the junction with Tempest Road, I don't know that neck of the woods too well however it's well out of the centre, a little past Elland Road football ground.

You may be a bit more optimistic than some of us Ringo.

He been hanging around there awhile, guess he's not up to speed on the concept of "being on the run"

The article gives the location as Beeston Road near the junction with Tempest Road, I don't know that neck of the woods too well however it's well out of the centre, a little past Elland Road football ground.

You may be a bit more optimistic than some of us Ringo.
I think that's the first time anyone has ever called me optimistic. It's bound to be the last time as well. ;)

Maybe you're right. I fear also that even if their friends did recogninse them, then they wouldn't grass 'em up anyway.

I think you have a point though, at least in this case it could narrow it down a bit to people that own a distinctive baseball cap or a Guy Fawkes mask.

bad%20v%20robbers_zpsalxzkxu4.jpg

YEP again

Sucks for anyone in Anonymous.

And the Yorkshire Evening Post once again takes pointless cctv to a new low.

Image actual size as on the page, the cctv pics cannot be clicked on to enlarge!

fucking%20pointless%20cctv_zpsymynlez4.jpg

YEP

We used to put out CCTV of suspects all the time - most of it was pretty useless, but anything that jogs a memory can be useful.

It costs hardly anything to publicise nowadays, quick upload to Youtube and then tweet the link - if you get one snippet of info, it's been worth it.

Doesn't stop them being funny though, keep 'em coming!

We used to put out CCTV of suspects all the time - most of it was pretty useless, but anything that jogs a memory can be useful.

It costs hardly anything to publicise nowadays, quick upload to Youtube and then tweet the link - if you get one snippet of info, it's been worth it.

Doesn't stop them being funny though, keep 'em coming!

Any feedback on whether it was clothing that jogged the memory?

What's the most pointless cctv of all? The camera that is not monitored, or perhaps even not switched on.

Orwell never saw this coming, Big Brother can't afford to pay for his own infrastructure. :rolleyes:

Councils in England and Wales are turning off CCTV cameras in an attempt to cut costs, a surveillance watchdog has warned.

Tony Porter, the surveillance camera commissioner, said switching off cameras would mean the police would find it harder to detect crime.

He told the BBC the situation was a "concern" and blamed the government's austerity cuts "sweeping the country".

He is due to present his findings to the government in the autumn.

BBC

Man killed by articulated lorry yesterday in London

The driver may not have realised he'd hit someone. OK the lorry should be easily identifiable eventually but police are urging the driver to come forward. In other words the cctv footage is insufficient quality to see the vehicle number plate.

It's surprising with current technology that the cctv surveillance we have everywhere isn't good enough quality to see details like this.
Fatal-collision-between-a-lorry-and-a-pedestrian-outside-Earls-Court-tube-station.jpg

It's pretty pointless having a camera at all if it can't do the job properly.

You'd normally expect to see a big company logo on it. Looks weird without anything. Even a hire vehicle would have a logo.

You'd normally expect to see a big company logo on it. Looks weird without anything. Even a hire vehicle would have a logo.
It's a transport vehicle for people smugglers.

Back