• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pointless CCTV Images

You'd normally expect to see a big company logo on it. Looks weird without anything. Even a hire vehicle would have a logo.

So it's from the same company that sourced the articulated truck that caused horrible death and destruction. Totally-unmarked with logos or advertising. Odd, isn't it?

Ask yourself the last time you saw a vehicle, like this, completely without any distinguishing makings whatsover. Exactly.

Extremely odd (nb I merely observe...I do not draw conclusions)

But there are markings - but illegible. Just like the number plate.
But markings on vehicles (especially number plate) aren't normally illegible when recorded by CCTV cameras....or they would have a greatly-reduced value in performing their intended purpose.

Perhaps this image has been auto-anonymised by a recognise-and-smudge GoogleMaps-style algorithm.

It is a bit odd. This accident happened in Earls Court. The truck would surely have been trackable on cctv right across London, and possibly beyond. They seem to be saying there's not one bit of footage in which the number plate can be read. Unless the mirror report is bollocks & they know the details.

Reminds me a little of the vandalism of the Women of WW2 Memorial a while back, allegedly by protestors.

The memorial is on Whitehall about 50 metres from the end of Downing Street, which has to be the most CCTV riddled bit of London going, police were out on the day, plus helicopters, almost everyone these days has a camera on them, and yet no-one saw who did it... so must have been protestors.

It does seem very suspicious that a vehicle that size could get all the way across London without being identifiable on any CCTV. Or maybe, as suggested, The Mirror talking bollocks.

Reminds me a little of the vandalism of the Women of WW2 Memorial a while back, allegedly by protestors.

The memorial is on Whitehall about 50 metres from the end of Downing Street, which has to be the most CCTV riddled bit of London going, police were out on the day, plus helicopters, almost everyone these days has a camera on them, and yet no-one saw who did it... so must have been protestors.

It does seem very suspicious that a vehicle that size could get all the way across London without being identifiable on any CCTV. Or maybe, as suggested, The Mirror talking bollocks.

I expect it was just some random person with a spray can thinking they were being profound and edgy with no specific axe to grind against WW2 women .. the message read "die tory scum" after all ..

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/05/09/downing-street-anti-austerity-protest_n_7249008.html

I was thinking more agent provocateur (the political type, not the lingerie), right wing shit-stirrer or perhaps just a journo making some news. I wasn't part of that particular demo but was there by chance and following near the end, the grafitti didn't seem to be there when I went past, nor the flowers either, which makes me think that happened later.

The photo of the grafitti on that story is a clear shot of the momument (it's in the middle of the road), so after the protest has gone past, there's only 2 protestors and the police in sight, though the way it's slotted in with the other photos implies it happened during.

The lack of CCTV or any evidence seems conspicuous... but why bother looking for it when there's a clear scapegoat?

Conceivably. But surely if there's a desire for it to be recognised by potential witnesses, why make it less identifiable?
Government owned truck?
MI5 truck?

It makes me wonder just how many trucks of this make and model there can be on the roads? I suppose the international nature of haulage may complicate matters a little but there will surely be documentation or cctv footage of traffic even on open borders. It is not unknown for owners of quite common cars to be tracked down by make, model and colour, when there is a hit-and-run accident. It is an odd one.

What surprises me less is that size and weight of these things makes it plausible that drivers are oblivious to the fact they may have been involved in a fatality. There was one very unpleasant death in Stockport a couple of years back of this nature; I gather the witnesses to that one are still in therapy!

Complaining about the size of trucks seems futile but I am astonished at some of the vehicles which squeeze their way into the narrow streets of my area and on routes which are ill-suited to them. I cannot imagine that Brexit will in any way diminish the lobbying-power of the trade and any who raise the matter will be accused of campaigning against economies of scale and for higher prices. :(

Complaining about the size of trucks seems futile but I am astonished at some of the vehicles which squeeze their way into the narrow streets of my area and on routes which are ill-suited to them. I cannot imagine that Brexit will in any way diminish the lobbying-power of the trade and any who raise the matter will be accused of campaigning against economies of scale and for higher prices. :(
Trucks of that immense size only became more common on our roads after the Channel Tunnel opened and the UK became more drawn into the EU.

The lorry looks ghostly, so i think its a phantom lorry

The phantom lorry stops, the phantom hitchhiker moves.

Exactly.

Follow up from ITV.com:

The lorry did not stop following the incident, but police said they had successfully traced the driver and had spoken to him.

He has not been arrested and is assisting officers with their enquiries, the police said.

They earlier released a CCTV image of a white, articulated lorry at the scene, but later withdrew it after the driver had been traced.

O8YPjfi.jpg

Another delightful effort from West Yorkshire Po-lice

I've often thought this with the crimestoppers pages in the newspapers here. Most times it could be anyone.

NOTE: The police do not specify, supply, fit, maintain or monitor CCTV.

CCTV is installed either by concerned individuals, local firms or it’s “your tax pound at work”.

From personal experience, the quality - even on installations in national chain retailers - was from barely acceptable to dismal. It was usually recorded onto ancient Poundstretcher VHS tapes which were never replaced, set to “Long” recording, i.e. 480 minutes on a 240 tape, and with multiple cameras recording onto the one tape. When you add poor siting of the camera (usually pointing at the front window, because everyone loves a grainy silhouette), the tragedy is complete.

The retailer would proudly show an officer the pixellated, underexposed, jerky, indistinct film, then subsequently complain that “l showed them CCTV but they dindu nuffin”.

maximus otter

NOTE: The police do not specify, supply, fit, maintain or monitor CCTV.

CCTV is installed either by concerned individuals, local firms or it’s “your tax pound at work”.

From personal experience, the quality - even on installations in national chain retailers - was from barely acceptable to dismal. It was usually recorded onto ancient Poundstretcher VHS tapes which were never replaced, set to “Long” recording, i.e. 480 minutes on a 240 tape, and with multiple cameras recording onto the one tape. When you add poor siting of the camera (usually pointing at the front window, because everyone loves a grainy silhouette), the tragedy is complete.

The retailer would proudly show an officer the pixellated, underexposed, jerky, indistinct film, then subsequently complain that “l showed them CCTV but they dindu nuffin”.

maximus otter
Maybe the police could produce a standard minimum spec for CCTV installations, to help produce good quality video?
It would certainly help with getting an arrest.

Maybe the police could produce a standard minimum spec for CCTV installations, to help produce good quality video?
It would certainly help with getting an arrest.

Just another job, and another potential stick with which to beat them.

The police need to be focusing on what the police should be doing, not bolt-on mission creep.

maximus otter

Back