Pointless Endeavours

A

Anonymous

Ms Indigo said:
I guess they feel in some peculiar way it gives them a purpose, and life has more meaning if it has a purpose, however daft it seems to everyone else! Incidentally, have been reading about the Winchester House in San Jose, California, it sounds a fascinating place. But apparently Sarah Winchester kept building onto it obsessively for years, 24/7. Stairways leading nowhere, windows in floors etc. All 160 rooms of it. I guess in the end though it did have a purpose because it must generate quite a bit of local tourist revenue. BTW, has anyone visited it?

I havent been there but I watched a special featuring this and other strange houses. The reason the winchester house was constantly being worked on was that the mrs. thought the house was haunted and spirit activity only stopped when there was construction going on. So the only way to keep from being tormented and frightend by the spirits(which she was convinced were the dead who had been killed by winchester made guns) was to have the noise and clamor of construction.

Mighty_Emperor

Beloved of Ra
There is so much to see and do and yet some people try and do things like this:

Man trying to visit every Starbucks in the world

Liz Atwood
Baltimore Sun
May. 5, 2005 11:24 AM

John Winter Smith is nothing if not an optimist. For eight years, he has chased a goal that he admits he may never achieve: to visit every Starbucks Coffee Co. store in the world.

The Silver Spring, Md., resident has bought coffee at more than 4,500 of the chain's outlets in North America and 213 overseas. He still has a long way to go.

How many more stores? Maybe 100 or 200 in North America, hundreds more overseas. "I think I'm slipping a little," says Smith, 33, who recently moved to Maryland and works as a computer programmer for an Elkridge manufacturing company.

The popular Seattle-based coffee chain owns 4,525 stores in North America and 1,018 abroad, according to a company spokeswoman. In the coming year, Starbucks expects to open 1,500 stores worldwide -- an average of four stores a day.

Smith, a native of Houston, says his quest began as a lark, spurred by a conversation with a friend in a Starbucks in his hometown in 1997. "The idea randomly popped into my head," he says.

At first, he tried to visit any store with a Starbucks sign, but he found a mind-numbing sameness to the grocery-store outlets and airport kiosks that are licensed, but not owned, by Starbucks. So he tweaked the rules for his quest and decided to visit only those stores that are company-owned.

And for a visit to count, he must order a small cup of coffee at the store.

It's a pursuit that he likens to collecting. Some people assemble baseball cards, coins or hubcaps; he collects Starbucks visits -- and occasionally keeps the coffee cups, which he turns into sculptures.

"If I could sum it up in one word, it is the adventure," he says. "The road trip is iconic America."

And while the unusual hobby fulfills his lifelong desire to stand apart from the crowd, it also meshes well with his other passion: tournament Scrabble.

So far he hasn't made headlines for his Scrabble playing, but he has won a certain amount of acclaim for his Starbucks endeavor. He's been invited to lecture at the University of California, Santa Barbara and appear at Kings Dominion amusement park in Virginia. He's been on the CBS' "The Early Show," National Public Radio and CNN Headline News. An amateur filmmaker is making a documentary about Smith's odyssey.

"It struck me that this guy is doing something so bizarre it would be a great subject for a documentary," says Bill Tangeman, a lawyer from Kearney, Neb., who has been filming Smith for the last several months. "I had always wanted to do a documentary," says Tangeman, a former broadcast journalist. "But I had never found a subject worthy of the effort."

Taking temporary computer-programming jobs, Smith travels the country in a 1997 Honda Civic, attending two or three Scrabble tournaments a month and visiting Starbucks stores along the way. He has put more than 70,000 miles on his car in the past year, and this spring spent 11 days traveling through the South, sleeping in his car.

"In the overall sense, I don't get tired of it. The whole process is very enjoyable," he says. "I've learned to push my boundaries and limits farther than I thought I could."

Although he confesses that many of the suburban Starbucks are a blur in his memory, a few stand out, like one in a round pink building in Wayne, Pa., and the store in a Tokyo amusement park.

And even when he is not visiting new Starbucks, he tends to hang out in familiar ones, preferring to work on his laptop in the coffee shop.

"I've always liked the hustle and bustle," he says.

This year, he hopes to travel to California where about half of the Starbucks stores he hasn't visited are located. And a store in Silver Spring will be opening soon that he'll have to visit.

But Smith doesn't know if he'll ever catch up to the sprawling coffee company.

"I have no timetable and no plan to stop," he says.

Despite his persistence, it seems unlikely Smith will become a Starbucks mascot the way Jared Fogle has been adopted by the Subway sandwich chain.

Starbucks spokeswoman Lara Wyss says Smith "demonstrates a great enthusiasm for the Starbucks experience and it is flattering to learn about his passion for Starbucks coffee."

Actually, Smith makes it clear he isn't interested in shilling for the company. His opinion of the coffee: "It's very consistent," he says. "I've gotten used to it."
Source

Anome

Bibliomancer
Two things to note here: He's an optimist? Only if he thinks the experience will get any better. Or change at all, for that matter. (As he intimates himself.) He sounds more like a masochist to me.

Or maybe a geek? He's a programmer, and he plays competition Scrabble. He's a geek, but not the good kind.

sunsplash1

Justified & Ancient
Crikey! A dark side Geek. Truly dangerous! :D
Starbucks coffee consistent? Wth what? Dishwater? Cat urine? Coolant fluid?
:?

Anome

Bibliomancer
He didn't say it was good, just consistent.

Definition of a psychotic: Someone who repeats the same action over and over again, expecting a different result.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
anome said:
Definition of a psychotic: Someone who repeats the same action over and over again, expecting a different result.
No, he's expecting the same result, so he's not psychotic.

These massive conglomerates of outlets that all look the same ... Has anyone ever written a story abou all the Mc'Donalds in the world being so alike, that one day a wormhole will appear and all the fastfood stores will become interconnected.

Has this big ball already been mentioned as a pointless endeavour?

Biggest Ball of Twine, Cawker City, Kansas
Passing through Cawker City? Stop by. Check out our Ball of Twine. Who knows? Maybe you'll be impressed.

fluffle9

Abominable Snowman
Emperor said:
Pointless but it really does appeal to me:

www.fincher.org/Misc/Pennies/

Anyone else eying their penny jar?

I'm kicking myself because I cashed one in recently (I got £80 out purest slummy but......).

[edit: Linked to form the above but I thought I'd throw it in too:

http://kassett.net/coin/

Some fine spiarls!!!]
that's amazing. i'm going to start saving my pennies now!

Human_84

Somewhat human
Emperor said:
Pointless but it really does appeal to me:

www.fincher.org/Misc/Pennies/

Anyone else eying their penny jar?

I'm kicking myself because I cashed one in recently (I got £80 out purest slummy but......).

[edit: Linked to form the above but I thought I'd throw it in too:

http://kassett.net/coin/

Some fine spiarls!!!]
Power is out at my place for past 3 days. I've got a pretty big penny tower going. Neighbors think I'm nuts. Thought you'd enjoy that Emperor.

TheQuixote

Justified & Ancient
Irishman fails in bee record bid

An Irish beekeeper has failed to take the world record for attracting the most bees onto his body after managing a 200,000-strong 'bee beard'.
Wearing little more than underpants and goggles, Philip McCabe, 59, failed to top the 1998 record set in the US of 87.5lb (40kg), or 350,000 bees

After two hours on scales, he was forced to give up because of numb feet.

"The bees we have in Ireland, this native black bee, is different than the one that holds the record," he said.

'No stings'

Mr McCabe, who is the head of the Irish Beekeepers Association, said he suffered no stings in the stunt - held at Cahir, Co Tipperary - until he jumped off the scales and was stung seven times.

Dozens of people watched his attempt, which was to raise money for charitable causes in Africa.

Beekeepers were on hand with six hives full of bees for the feat.

Using a funnel, they placed the insects onto his abdomen, where they climbed up to rest on his chin.

They were attracted to his body by the scent or pheromones given off by the queen bee which Mr McCabe had placed on his chin.
[...]

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 623497.stm
Published: 2005/06/26 06:28:34 GMT

© BBC MMV

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Pointless? Well, mostly, but I quite like this one myself and it is raising awareness for the Duke of Edinburgh Awards, which continue to be an excellent programme:

Dinner and dive from air balloon

A team of explorers say they have broken a world record to host a dinner party at a table suspended below a hot air balloon at 24,000ft (7,315m).
David Hempleman-Adams, Bear Grylls and Lieutenant Commander Alan Veal were all involved in the unusual challenge in Somerset on Thursday.

A three-course spread was laid on for Mr Grylls and Lt Comm Veal who abseiled from the balloon's basket to the table.

They saluted the Queen before skydiving to earth.

Mr Grylls, 30, said: "The aim was to celebrate 50 years of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

"The record was set at 22,000ft (6,705m) in the Himalayas and we wanted to break it with a twist."

Temperatures reached -45C as the adventurers enjoyed duck a l'orange on plastic plates.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wilt ... 636543.stm
And toasting Her Majesty the Queen at 24,000ft and -45C has a certain charm..

TheQuixote

Justified & Ancient
Emperor said:
For stuff that you wonder "Why bother?" - OK I know such things can get you into the Guiness Book of Records:

https://forums.forteana.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11117

but that always struck me as seocndary to soem of these people and that is just a way to legitimise ther weird obsessions.

Like:

Man Creates 1,300-Pound Baseball
Here's the homepage for the Carmichaels, replete with photo of said baseball.

The baseball has approx. 18,960 coats of paint, they're aiming for at least 20,000 coats before they'll consider it finished. :?

Last edited by a moderator:
And filed under records you wonder why people bothered setting:

Sky-high dinner breaks world record

July 20, 2005, 9:53:37

An explorer has broken one of the strangest world records - by hosting a dinner party at 24,000 feet.

David Hempleman-Adams used a specially designed balloon to fly fellow adventurers, Bear Grylls and Lieutenant Commander Alan Veal, to 24,262ft.

Once they were high enough Grylls and Veal, dressed in evening wear, climbed down to a table hanging 40ft below the balloon and tucked into a three course meal.

Hempleman-Adam had to keep the balloon flying at the right altitude over Ston Easton Park in Somerset, England.

He revealed: "It was a fun stunt but was at the same time very dangerous.

There were potentially a lot of things that could have gone wrong."
www.femalefirst.co.uk/bizarre/75732004.htm

Mighty_Emperor

Beloved of Ra
Man Builds Full-size Viking Ship Of Ice Cream Sticks

August 29, 2005, 10:59:26

A former Hollywood stunt man has built a 45-foot Viking style ship - made entirely out of wooden ice cream sticks.

Rob McDonald, who now lives in the Netherlands, used millions of the lolly-pop sticks and more than a ton of glue to make the replica ship. The 13 tonne boat set sail in Amsterdam after it was delicately lifted onto the water by crane.

'Captain Rob', as he likes to be known, is now planning to apply for a mention in the Guinness Book of Records.

McDonald estimates he used 15 million birch wood ice cream sticks in total, which were donated by an ice cream manufacturer and found as rubbish by local children.
www.femalefirst.co.uk/bizarre/88142004.htm

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Today I read [Metro, 8/9/05, p4] that a German national "boot throwing" championship has been held in the village of Taunusstein-Hambach. Unfortunately I could'nt find anything more about it on the Internet. But the Internet shows that "boot throwing" contests are held in Germany on a regular basis.

During the search I also stumbled upon several "mobile phone throwing championships". BTW one of those was held in The Netherlands recently. IIRC they were hosted by Nokia ...

kitsunegari

Devoted Cultist
uair01 said:
Today I read [Metro, 8/9/05, p4] that a German national "boot throwing" championship has been held in the village of Taunusstein-Hambach. Unfortunately I could'nt find anything more about it on the Internet. But the Internet shows that "boot throwing" contests are held in Germany on a regular basis.

During the search I also stumbled upon several "mobile phone throwing championships". BTW one of those was held in The Netherlands recently. IIRC they were hosted by Nokia ...
Didn't they make a film about this............"Das Boot"..... :roll: sorry...lol

Man and dog bounce to new record

Man and dog bounce to new record

A new world record was set in Edinburgh after an American completed 206 jumps on a pogo stick in one minute.
Shopkeeper Ashrita Furman carried out the attempt next to the statue of Greyfriars Bobby, while carrying a dog.

Mr Furman, who has the highest number of Guinness World Records, had to complete in excess of 173 jumps - more than two per second.

He now holds 102 records and said he was already planning his next stunt.

Mr Furman has been up Mount Fuji on a pogo stick, bounced a mile on a space hopper along the Great Wall of China and pushed an orange at speed with his nose.
He also holds records for backwards cycling, an underwater pogo attempt and most hop-scotch games in 24 hours.

The record breaker insisted the dog, which he carried in honour of the legendary terrier who stood guard by his master's grave, was unharmed.

Mr Furman - who also has records for balancing a huge stack of beer glasses on his chin, using the world's largest hula hoop and somersaulting - added that dogs he had used in training seemed to enjoy the experience and had, literally, leapt to the challenge.

However, he had asked for a vet to be on stand-by in an effort to reassure onlookers.

After his success, Mr Furman said: "The editor of the Guinness book is Scottish and he said 'now listen here, you've been around the world and you have not broken a record in Scotland'.

"So why not break a record in Scotland?"

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/s ... 349538.stm

Published: 2005/10/17 13:13:07 GMT

© BBC MMV

Dunno this made me do that:

Nipple hair a world-beater

Thu, October 13, 2005
By TIM KOCUR, Special To The Free Press

Tyler Ing, a Western engineering student, has a nipple hair that measures 8.89 centimetres (3.5 inches).

It might not be the type of world record you would take home to mother, but it is a world record and it was set here in London.

It's the length of a black hair on Tyler Ing's right nipple. It's 8.89 centimetres (3.5 inches) long -- long enough to make the 2006 Guinness Book of Records as the longest nipple hair on Earth.

"There are a few contenders on me, but that's the longest one," said Ing, 20, a University of Western Ontario engineering student.

Ing got the idea to apply after constant hassling from friends and the encouragement of his girlfriend.

"After you've been made fun of enough in the hockey change room, you might as well put it in Guinness," he said.

The patches of hair growing on his nipples have never been trimmed or plucked.

And he doesn't do anything special to protect the record holder.

Ing applied to Guinness in March 2004, when the hair was officially measured.

The hair is compared in the 2006 edition of Guinness with other notables such as the world's longest armpit hair.

Ing's record isn't all that weird when compared with others, says Pat Ort, a manager at the Guinness World Record Museum in Niagara Falls. "You look through the book and you see things you wouldn't imagine people would do to break a record."

Ing said his "parents looked at me real weird for a few minutes.

"Now they're proud. My mom shows the book to all her friends."
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/ ... 8-sun.html

Drunken art show in the balance

Drunken art show in the balance

A performance artist's show which saw her spend three hours balancing on a beam while becoming drunk on lager has been defended by theatre officials.
The Chapter Arts Centre in Cardiff staged the work in its public bar by Tokyo-based Tomoko Takahashi, who is also known as Anti-Cool.

Local councillor Ramesh Patel said it should have been in a private room.

But Chapter said she was in control throughout in a safe setting where people knew they would see unique art.

She was drunk by the end of the performance but that made it more mesmerising for the audience to watch
James Tyson, Chapter

The Tokyo-based artist used 48 bottles of lager during her act on Saturday night, although she did not drink all of them.
Theatre programmer James Tyson said the point of the show, called Allurements of Mass Media, was to illustrate "the confusion we can feel in response to the amount of mass media that is pumped to us incessantly".

He said the artist worked with different products particular to the area she was in and she had seen several beer festivals in Cardiff.

"Initially some people found the image of Anti-Cool beginning to drink bottles of beer elevated on a balancing beam unsettling," he said.
"There were 48 bottles, but she did not drink all of those. Some of those she suspended from her neck by a rope inviting the audience to cut them away and take them for themselves.

"As the evening progressed, the public became very aware of her, many in empathy, many concerned for her safety."

Mr Tyson said her behaviour showed "extraordinary self-control," adding: "She was drunk by the end of the performance but that made it more mesmerising for the audience to watch."

If she was drunk then that concerns me and it sends out the wrong message.
Councillor Ramesh Patel

Mr Tyson added: "It was a very safe environment to present a piece of work. People will go into Chapter knowing that it's a place where art takes place - where you can look at films or performance that you wouldn't see otherwise."
The show was part of a month-long Experimentica 2005 season by the centre, which received about £750,000 in grant money to fund its programme of events between 2004 and 2005.

Mr Patel, a Labour councillor for the Canton ward, said: "I don't agree with any binge drinking, regardless of what it is.

"I think it is inappropriate that a performance of this nature is staged in the public bar area - it should have been behind closed doors."

He added: "If she was drunk then that concerns me and it sends out the wrong message. It is an arts centre but it also has a cinema and it is all open, so if young people were to walk through the main door they would've seen that."

A spokeswoman for Alcohol Concern said: "We don't comment on individual cases such as this but we are always concerned when people drink to excess and put their health and safety at risk."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/wales/4376884.stm

Published: 2005/10/26 07:08:21 GMT

© BBC MMV

Belly dancers create world record

Belly dancers create world record
Belly dancers in Scotland have shaken their way to a new world record.
A group of 134 dancers from across the world converged on Nairn where their five-minute routine gave them an entry in the Guinness Book of Records.

The event was the brainchild of local councillor and keen belly dancer Liz MacDonald, 43, who sent DVDs of the routine to a variety of groups.

She said: "It was fantastic. We were all in our sparkly belly dancing costumes so it was really colourful."

Special reception

She added: "There wasn't a record for the largest number of belly dancers performing a routine, so we contacted the Guinness Book of Records and they accepted it as a challenge.

"I'm just delighted so many people came along and helped us set a new record. Everyone did really well."

After shaking their stuff, the belly dancers enjoyed a special reception, which included performances from musicians from Turkey, Lebanon and Italy.

As well as setting a new record, the group also raised more than £1,000 for a local charity which helps disabled people take part in sports.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/s ... 390070.stm

Published: 2005/10/30 11:20:27 GMT

© BBC MMV

lupinwick

Justified & Ancient

Wonder if this is similar to Welly Hoying (not sure if its just a North Eastern England thing), my brother did it in the 70's/80's. Run it through google for more info.

rynner2

Great Old One
Amazing research

WHO would have thought it? In the November issue of The Journal of Sexual Medicine, researchers have published the first-ever prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-institutional treatment study with multi-dimensional psychometrically valid outcomes and concluded that an effective erectile dysfunction treatment in men also significantly improved sexual function and sexual satisfaction in untreated women partners.
http://www.newscientist.com/backpage.ns ... 825263.100

Man Aims for New Snake-Kissing Record

Jan 12, 7:20 AM (ET)

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) - A kiss is just a kiss, but it may prove to be the kiss of death for a Malaysian snake charmer who will attempt to set a new world record by planting 50 smooches on a venomous snake in 10 minutes.

Shahimi Abdul Hamid, 33, will perform the dangerous feat on March 11 in a bid to break the current record held by an American man who kissed a poisonous snake 30 times in an unspecified time, the national news agency Bernama said Thursday.

Shahini has urged Malaysians to support him in his endeavor, saying he "wants to prove that Asians can also be champions in taming poisonous snakes."

He could not be reached for comments.

Bernama said Shahimi displayed his prowess at a news conference late Wednesday by kissing a three-meter long King Cobra 21 times. His bid in March will be filmed by U.S. television show Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Bernama said.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060112/D8F34JB01.html