• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World Records (Miscellaneous)

Poker players go for longest game

The players hope to go on for more than 42 hours
A group of poker players is attempting to set a new world record for the longest uninterrupted game.
The 24 players began their endurance bid on Friday night in a club in Greenwich, south-east London, and must keep going for more than 42 hours.

Each entrant has put £20 in the pot, with the winner taking half of the money and the rest going to charity.

Player Sarah Lawrence said: "We're 11 hours into the attempt and we're starting to play like madmen."

'Frayed tempers'

The first hand was dealt at 2100 GMT at the Basement Jacks club and the game is expected to continue until at least 2000 on Sunday.

Ms Lawrence said she was keeping awake with energy drinks and brief walks to stretch her legs.

"We've been up all night and the only break you're allowed is to go to the toilet or get something to eat," she told BBC London 94.9.

"We're going for 43 hours or maybe more.

"We've been through all the emotions. We started off just really high and really happy about being record breakers.

"Then we went through vague tiredness and there were a few frayed tempers and a bit of grumpiness.

"Now we're playing like madmen and bouncing off the walls."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6185671.stm

KNITTING NEEDLES BREAK RECORDS

11:00 - 20 January 2007

A woman who made a pair of giant knitting needles ten times normal size has become a world record breaker for using them for the purpose for which they were intended.The needles, three-and-a-half metres long and made of wood, were used by Julia Hopson to produce a 10x10 stitch tension square with rope substituting for wool.

Ms Hopson, who runs the Knit Wits shop in Penzance, Cornwall, made her record-breaking attempt at the Tregenna Castle Hotel in St Ives last October.

The world record has just been ratified by Guinness after she had failed in a similar attempt on the record the previous year because she used oars.

Ms Hopson said: "This time they were exact replicas of knitting needles but it was still pretty hard going."
http://tinyurl.com/33vlpt

Local Hero phone's record calling

Sixteen young gymnasts crammed into the phone box
The phone box made famous in the film Local Hero is claiming a new world record for the highest number of people to be squeezed inside.
The red phone box in Pennan, Banffshire, found fame when it featured in the 1983 Burt Lancaster film.

A total of 16 members of young skipping group Skip 2 The Beat helped the Banffshire Coast Tourism Partnership claim the new record for Pennan.

The previous world record for human phone box filling stood at 14 people.

It was set in Edinburgh's Royal Mile in 2003, beating a previous record of 12 people which was set in Germany in 1997.

Making this world record attempt will further celebrate its legendary status

Karen Crowe
Banffshire Coast Tourism Partnership

The Bill Forsyth film saw representatives of a US petro-chemical giant, who were seeking to build a refinery in a coastal village, come to find the gentler rhythms of the local life practically irresistible.

Pennan has since been given the accolade of the best film location in the UK.

Now the Banffshire Coast Tourism Partnership is increasing awareness of the area.

Skip 2 The Beat coach Sylvanna Matheson said: "It's absolutely brilliant.

"We thought we could maybe get 15 but the girls managed to squeeze in another two."

'Gymnastics skills'

Banffshire Coast Tourism Partnership chairman Karen Crowe said: "Skip 2 The Beat were the ideal candidates to take part in this record-breaking attempt.

"Dinky and dainty, bendable and nimble, the members have fantastic gymnastics skills to benefit them in trying to squeeze as many people into the Pennan phone box as possible."

She explained: "Undoubtedly the world's most famous red phone booth, the Pennan phone box is a renowned landmark.

"Tourists from as far afield as Japan and Australia make the pilgrimage to the village to take a picture in front of the illustrious attraction.

"Making this world record attempt will further celebrate its legendary status."

Area director of VisitScotland, Ian Dunlop, said: "The Pennan phone box is a real draw for tourism to the area, with a host of sightseers attracted annually to the booth which has achieved a celebrated place in film history.

"What better way to acknowledge the status the Pennan phone box has gained than this record-breaking challenge."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 507043.stm

Last edited by a moderator:
Spamalot bids for coconut record

The cast and creators of Monty Python musical Spamalot are hoping to set a new record for the world's largest coconut orchestra.
The Guinness World Record attempt will take place in London's Trafalgar Square on St George's Day, 23 April.

The public will be given a pair of coconuts to "clip-clop" in time to the Python classic Always Look On The Bright Side of Life.

The current record of 1,789 was set in March last year, in New York.

The gathering was held outside the Shubert Theatre to celebrate the first anniversary of the Broadway show.

The cast of the West End production will be on hand to lead the Trafalgar Square attempt.

The event will be followed by a special screening of Monty Python and the Holy Grail in Trafalgar Square, at 1930 BST.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6537023.stm

Here's a more dangerous one:

Sleepless record man feeling fine
Sleepless in Penzance

A Cornish man attempting to break the world record for sleep deprivation says he is feeling fine, despite being awake for more than a week.
Tony Wright, 42, from Penzance, started his attempt to beat the current record at 0600 BST on 14 May.

The current record stands at 264 hours - 11 days.

Mr Wright said: "It's a bit difficult for me to say but I feel fine - there's a lot of pressure and there's been troughs of tiredness, but I feel OK."

He has been passing the time by playing pool and keeping an online diary.

In one of the entries, Mr Wright described his experience of nearly falling asleep on Saturday as: "The flat screen starts turning into a multi-dimensional portal to another world and the text into a welcoming entourage of giggling dancing pixies and elves.

'Not going mad'

"Remarkably, one's nose heads in a similar direction, and without a last-second reprieve would have come firmly to rest on the Z key."

He said this entry was poetic licence and not an example of him going mad.

"I was partly being serious, but also I couldn't think of anything else to write as I haven't done anything."

The only physical change he has noticed is his speech becoming incomprehensible at times.

He is unsure if this is through lack of sleep or from talking too much. I don't look any worse than in the beginning and can hold a conversation

Tony Wright

He has also noticed that colours seem very bright.

He said the hardest part was that he had to stay in one place - Penzance's Studio Bar - in order to prove that he was not popping out for a sleep.

"Although this is a lovely place, staying in one place long enough drives you stir crazy," he said.

Increasingly confident

A live web cam and CCTV cameras are monitoring him 24-hours a day.

"It does seem kind of strange like a reality TV show," he said.

He said he was becoming increasingly confident that he would break the record which was set by Randy Gardner in the US in 1964.

"I've already done eight days so three more doesn't seem much of an effort. I can do that," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6680785.stm

(I think I'll keep clear of Penzance this coming w/e, just to be on the safe side. Although he could just be fast asleep by then... :D )

A New York man has set the world record for underwater pogo sticking and broken his own underwater hula hooping record.
Ashrita Furman travelled 1,680ft on his pogo stick and hula hooped for 2mins 38secs to secure the records.

Video here:
http://tinyurl.com/26caau

Mirror man's Guinness feat
Exclusive by Julie Mccaffrey 04/08/2007

It's every little boy's dream - better than a Blue Peter badge or getting Jim to Fix it for you.

And now Mirror reporter Damien Fletcher is glowing with pride after getting into the Guinness Records book.

In page nine of the latest edition, published on 28 September, you will see him clutching his certificate for eating the most jelly with chopsticks and the world's fastest duvet dresser. Damien, 32, said: "What an honour. Mum will be proud. They say dedication's what you need but I'd also suggest a total lack of dignity. I tried anything."

Damien spent a memorable day in October attempting records such as making sandwiches with his feet, balancing spoons on his face and attaching clothes pegs to his hands.

After ten failures, he scored the first of a historic hat trick by wolfing down 180g of jelly in 60 seconds, easily beating the record of 45g. Then, after two failed attempts at the record for putting a cover on a double duvet - with every stopper closed - he beat the record by whipping it on in 63 seconds. He said: "The trick is to turn the cover inside out and put your hands in the corners before flicking it with a firm snap." Next, after two messy attempts, he cracked another record by holding a dozen eggs aloft in his upturned palm - but his record was smashed with 19 eggs held aloft before it could be published.

Amarilis Espinova of Guinness World Records said: "He was determined to get in. The question is now can he break more?

http://tinyurl.com/3bvqfg

Schoolboy scoops spoon world record
Last Updated: 2:34am BST 04/04/2008

A British schoolboy set a world record yesterday by balancing 16 spoons on his face.

Joe, from Totnes, Devon, can now hang
a total of 16 spoons off his face

Joe Allison, nine, broke the record when he hung the tablespoons from his forehead, nose, cheeks and chin. Joe began practising his unusual hobby every day after his cousin dared him to try balancing one spoon on his nose two years ago.

But Joe, from Totnes, Devon, can now hang a total of 16 spoons off his face - five from his forehead, one from his nose, two from his chin, three from each cheek and one from each ear. And yesterday, he beat the previous record of 15, set by a 16-year-old in the United States in May 2004.

Joe's mother Fenella, 42, said: "I'm really proud of him because he can do something no one else in the world can do. It works even better if Joe's sweaty but I don't let him get away without washing."

Joe is to appear on television show Britain's Got Talent, where he will hang the spoons from his face and do a jig.

telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... oon104.xml
Link is dead. The MIA webpage (quoted in full above) can be accessed at the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2008040...main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/04/nspoon104.xml

Here is the photo believed to have been published with the MIA article.

news-graphics-2008-_661181a.jpg

A cycling fanatic is hoping to enter his giant guitar-shaped bicycle into the Guinness Book of Records.
Dieter Senft revealed his creation to the world's media and plans to register it as the world's biggest mobile guitar.

But at 14.81 metres long and 4.21 metres high, the four-wheeled vehicle is too big to use on public roads.
Video here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7330000/newsid_7339300/7339320.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&asb=1&news=1&bbcws=1

Record-breaking Mentos and coke explosions
24/04/2008
"It was to be one of the biggest science experiments ever seen yet there was not a bunson burner or test tube in sight.

Around 1,500 students kitted out in waterproof ponchos discovered exactly what happens when you drop a mint sweet into a bottle of Coca Cola, in an attempt to break a world record.

The students, from Belgium, tried to out-fizz the previous record for so-called Mentos fountains by simultaneously putting Mentos mints into bottles of the soft drink.

The resultant chemical reaction shot hundreds of streams of carbonated soda into the air.

The explosive record-breaking event was held in Ladeuzeplein square in Leuven, Belgium. "

Article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... oke123.xml

Video:
http://www.myvideo.be/watch/4019861

Man runs 100 yards on fire and breaks world record
A Scottish nurse broke a world record by setting himself on fire and running for nearly 100 yards engulfed in a ball of flames.
By Ben Leach
Published: 7:00AM BST 06 Jul 2009

Keith Malcolm, from Aberdeen, was doused in petrol before sprinting 259ft ablaze to beat the previous fire-run record of 227ft.

To claim the record the amateur stuntman wore eight layers of protective clothing, including four layers of fireproof undergarments, a Formula One fireproof jacket and three overalls.

He also wore three fire hoods and a helmet and coated himself in special protective "stunt gel" so he would not be harmed by the flames, which are believed to have reached 1,000C.

Mr Malcolm, who now lives in Widley, near Portsmouth, Hants, set the new record at the Alton & North East Hampshire Agricultural Show on Sunday.

He had a team of experts from Hampshire Fire and Rescue on hand for the event which was aimed at raising money for Cancer Research.

Afterwards Mr Malcolm said: "It was absolutely awesome. I managed it in 17 seconds and was running flat-out. I really did not want to hang around.

"There wasn't much left of the jacket at the end. To be honest, the heat I felt was what you would expect if you were wearing all those clothes and a helmet in hot weather and trying to run.

Mr Malcolm took up the bizarre hobby last year but a previous attempt on the record in May failed when he fell over 40ft short of the record.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ecord.html

Where's Elf'n'Safety when you need 'em, eh? ;)

rynner2 said:
...."There wasn't much left of the jacket at the end. To be honest, the heat I felt was what you would expect if you were wearing all those clothes and a helmet in hot weather and trying to run....

So he started off with a blazer and ended up with a smoking jacket!

lemonpie3 said:
I just don't get the whole Guinness Book of Records. A) Who cares? and B) Who cares enough to actually try to break a record?

I mean for example there was loads of stuff about this Pen Hadow bloke doing whatever it is to reach the North Pole (or maybe it's the South Pole) and then there was that pair of women (were they doing it separately?) trying to get to the NP or SP solo or something? Then there was the helicopter people trying to circumnavigate the globe or something who crashed. I mean this whole
- first/oldest/youngest
- man/woman/custard-brained fool
to
- climb x mountain/reach the N/S Pole/cross the atlantic/pacific/english channel/go round the world
- solo/on foot/on a moped/on their hands hands & knees/backwards/in a cheesegrater

I just don't get it.

I think its the same sort of mentality which led to these famous explorers hopping naked to the north pole dragging a grand piano, when you read about these wonderous leaders of men you learn that they were mostly arrogant bullies who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and got there by more luck than judgement and often killed several people through their own stupidity at the same time. :roll:

Australian sword swallower sets Guinness world record

Chayne Hultgren began practising the art of sword swallowing at the age of 16

An Australian performance artist has set a Guinness world record by swallowing 18 swords at the same time.

Chayne Hultgren, also known as the Space Cowboy, beat his own 2008 record by swallowing the swords, each 72cm (28.35in) long, at an event in Sydney.

He said that while the stunt was not dangerous, he had spent many hours training for it.

After setting the record, Mr Hultgren, 31, described it as definitely one of his greatest achievements so far.

"Wow, I did it, it feels good, thank you very much, it feels really good actually," he said.

Mr Hultgren started practising with swords at the age of 16 and says he has used different methods to perfect the art.

"I stretch my throat with hoses and use a few different techniques to basically enable me to do what, until now, has been impossible".

"I don't just straightaway grab 18 blades and shove them down my throat - you've got to practise a lot and build up to it," he says.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8503748.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8503748.stm

Geordie claims record for wearing most underpants

A South Tyneside man is claiming the world record for wearing the most pairs of underpants at the same time.

Gary Craig from Whitburn put on 211 pairs - 11 more than the current official record of 200.

The 51-year-old, who has dubbed himself the Geordie Pantsman, completed the task in 25 minutes. By the end, he said he looked like a "giant tennis ball".

It will take four to six weeks for the charity fundraising attempt to be verified by Guinness World Records.

The Sunderland-based architect said he came up with the idea after seeing a YouTube clip of a man wearing "loads of T-shirts".

It was only after researching the topic that he realised there was an existing world record - held by an Australian television presenter.

About 150 people gathered to watch Mr Craig's record-breaking bid at Dusk nightclub in South Shields on Thursday night.

He began by putting on a pair of 40-inch underpants (size large) and finished with a 60-inch (size 4XL) pair.

Speaking afterwards, he said: "It feels pretty sore at the minute but I'm just absolutely delighted.

"I wanted to really crack it and give the Australians something to think about. I deliberately went one over the 10 just to make sure."

He added: "The great thing was I had lots of people there to support me and that made a big difference.

"I felt like if I'd had more pants I could have carried on."

Mr Craig has so far raised about £3,000 for the St. Simon's Drop-in Centre for the unemployed and underprivileged in South Shields, as well as the Cancer Connections charity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/8600616.stm

danny_cogdon said:
:shock:

Whitburn is part of Sunderland so actually its North Wearside not South Tyneside.

This also makes him a Mackem, not a Geordie.

Civil wars have started over less than this! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackem

My ex husband comes from Sunderland , but I don't think I ever heard him call himself a Mackem.
(I, however, can think of lots of other things to call him!)

Guitarist strums his way into record books
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 54911.html
EOIN BURKE-KENNEDY

Sat, Jun 18, 2011

IT STARTED with a low-key version of Dusty Springfield’s Son of a Preacher Man and ended 114 hours and 20 minutes later with the U2 classic With or Without You.

Dublin musician Dave Browne’s world record for the longest continuous guitar-playing session was met with scenes of jubilation at The Temple Bar pub in Dublin yesterday morning, and the palpable relief of bleary-eyed staff at the bar, which had remained open non-stop for his marathon five-day gig.

Browne had been rocking around the clock since 4pm on Sunday, playing an average of 12 pieces of music per hour, with no longer than 30-second breaks between songs.

He eclipsed the former record of 113 hours, held by Argentinian guitarist Guillermo Terraza, shortly after 9am while playing When Loves Comes to Town by BB King.

The exhausted guitarist finally put down his instrument an hour and 20 minutes later, having played a total of 1,372 tracks, mainly rock, blues and trad tunes.

“The whole thing just snowballed. I am absolutely ecstatic. It feels surreal,” Browne said after his mammoth session.

The musician, who has been gigging at the bar for more than 10 years, has played with a number of well-known acts including the Dubliners, Aslan and the Pogues.

The inspiration behind his record bid stemmed from a disaffection with the music industry, he said, and a desire “to return to simply playing the guitar”.

According to rules set by the Guinness World Record authorities, he was allowed a 30-second break between songs, which had to be recognisable, published music lasting at least two minutes.

He was afforded a five-minute break every hour which he was allowed roll into a 40-minute rest every eight hours, enabling him to power-nap, eat, shower and change.

His record-breaking guitarathon brings the total number of Irish record holders to 135, according to a Guinness World Record spokeswoman.

Other Irish musical bests include Westlife who hold the record for the most consecutive number ones in the United Kingdom charts, and U2 who boast the record for the largest screen at a pop concert.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 54911.html

I think playing actual songs is cheating. It should have been one long guitar solo.

Some people probably think that doing crossword puzzles is a pointless endeavour (but they are narrow-minded fools!) Compiling crosswords is a profession however, but I don't suppose there are that many professionals doing it.

Guinness Book of World Records for Telegraph crossword setter
Telegraph crossword setter Roger Squires is back in the Guinness Book of World Records after setting nearly 75,000 puzzles and 2.25 million clues.
By Hannah Furness
6:30AM BST 20 Sep 2013

He has written nearly 75,000 crosswords in his career, bringing delight and puzzlement in equal measure to Telegraph readers for decades.
Now Roger Squires, 81, has returned to his rightful place in the Guinness Book of World Records, as the world’s most prolific crossword setter.
Mr Squires, who began his professional career 50 years ago and sets the Telegraph crossword every Monday, has officially written more than 2.25 million clues to puzzle readers with no sign of running out yet.

He first entered the Guinness Book of World Records in 1978, but dropped out in 2008 after organisers allegedly felt their young readership would be interested in more modern pastimes.
He has now been officially reinstated for the 2014 edition after appearing in 115 publications in 32 countries, saying: “I’m just happy to be back in.”

Mr Squires, a grandfather-of-two, said the secret of his success was a simple “love of playing with words”, as he aims to entertain readers rather than frustrate them with fiendishly difficult clues.

His record-breaking career, however, may also have been inspired by more down-to-Earth concerns.
“When I started out it didn’t pay very much,” he said. “So I had to do a lot.”
By the late 1970s he was writing 40 puzzles a week, and published his two millionth clue in the Daily Telegraph in 2007.
His official entry in the 2014 book states he had completed 74,634 crosswords as of 30 June 2013.

Mr Squires, who has also worked as an actor and magician, began writing crosswords while serving at sea as a Fleet Air Arm observer, after his colleagues refused to play cards with him due to his Magic Circle membership. :twisted:

Instead, he took to studying the newspaper crosswords, going on to compile his own while far away from fresh material at sea.

He now writes around one 15x15 crossword a day, working from 9am until 1pm everyday, with a few extra hours to perfect it in the afternoon.
“It’s a lot easier nowadays,” he said. “When I first started out it would take three or four days, because I used to have to draw out the grid, fill it in with pencil, and keep rubbing bits out.”

He has used a simple computer system since 1988, with a fixed grid allowing him to input words and delete them easily, with a record of approximately 100,000 past clues stored at his house to avoid repetition.

When asked for the secret to setting a good crossword, he modestly claimed it was down to a simple enjoyment of playing with words.
“I love what you can do with words, and all their different meanings,” he said. “Changing them backwards, forward and sideways.
“I try to entertain and bring a bit of fun to it. I don’t try to make them too difficult. The best ones are straightforward and entertaining”.

Mr Squires' first puzzle was published in the Radio Times in 1963, and he became a full time setter in 1977, setting a remarkable 23 crosswords a week by 2007.

He believes he has not repeated any clue in the same publication for at least 15 years, occasionally blending two successful previous questions to create a new one.

As well as puzzles for local, national and international newspapers, he has also produced a 3D version to fit onto a Rubik's Cube. He is reported to have once set a clue with the answer "Llanfairpwllgwyn gyllgogerychwyrndrob wllllantysiliogogogoch" :shock:

His landmark two millionth clue, as published in the Daily Telegraph, was "Two girls, one on each knee (7)", with the answer revealed as "patella". [Groan!]

When asked for his favourite clue, Mr Squires has previously disclosed Colin Dexter, the Inspector Morse author, told him he had enjoyed "Bar of soap' (3,6,6)". The answer: "The Rovers Return". 8)

Fans of Mr Squires’ puzzles will be pleased to learn he has no plans for retirement in the near future.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... etter.html

Man breaks record for smashing most walnuts with his head
Mohammad Rashid headbutts his way through 155 walnuts in one minute at Punjab Youth Festival, Pakistan
10:27AM GMT 13 Mar 2014

A Pakistani martial arts expert has found notoriety after headbutting his way through 155 walnuts in one minute. His record-breaking attempt literally smashed the previous record of 44 walnuts.

Surrounded by a crowd of onlookers and officials, Mohammad Rashid proceeded to crack a long line of walnuts laid out on a table using only his forehead. After his minute was up, a breathless Rashid looked plased with his efforts. However a few of the walnuts clearly got the better of him, as he could be seen wiping away a few spots of blood from his head.

His stunt was part of the annual Punjab Youth Festival in Lahore, Pakistan. The festival has played host to other weird and whacky sports record attempts, including the most number of pushups in 24 hours.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvid ... -head.html

Obligatory: Nutter!

rynner2 said:
Man breaks record for smashing most walnuts with his headl

Remind me of a joke… :lol:

Were these English walnuts, or black walnuts?

The English walnut has a seam around the shell, it cracks fairly easily.

The black walnut is messy(yielding a black goo that stains like fury-Athelstane King, in King of the Khyber Rifles uses walnut juice to darken his skin and pose as a native. The stain lasts a while) and has a rock-like shell that requires serious force to crack.

Both yield a delicious meat. They have differing flavors, but both are very tasty.

If this fellow was cracking black walnuts, he'll probably have a concussion!

Gardener bids to break world record for fastest ever shed
[VIDEO]

A gardener has completed an attempt to break the world record for the fastest shed.
Kevin Nicks, from Great Rollright, Oxfordshire, got bored with his Volkswagen Passat and converted it into a shed on wheels.

Earlier, his unusual vehicle was clocked at an average of 70.8mph over two 100m runs during a day of record attempts near York.
Mr Nicks, 50, said he was happy to have achieved his goal.
He will now submit his results to Guinness World Records, which will decide if he has officially broken the previous record of 58.4mph.

Mr Nicks, who is hoping to use the vehicle as advertising space, said: "It's good to be getting the word out there, which will help as an advertising tool.
"I can say 'advertise on the side of the world's fastest shed'."

It took Mr Nicks seven months to transform his car, using steel beams and timber, and create his shed on wheels.
It is legal to drive on the road and can reach speeds of almost 80mph, he said.
Mr Nicks added: "I had the car sitting around and it was going to be scrap, but it was too good for scrap.
"It's fun, it makes everybody smile."

The record attempt was held at the 10th World Wheelie Championship at Elvington Airfield near York.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-33951868

I'm surprised it's road legal, with all those sharp corners. Could do a lot of damage if it hit a pedestrian.

He should put a 'Bol-L-Gol Gardening' sign on it.

i005702.jpg

US electronics store sets 'mattress dominoes' record
8 April 2016
Last updated at 23:54 BST

More than 1,000 workers and mattresses have set a new world record for "largest human mattress dominoes", according to Guinness World Records.

Employees from the electronics and appliance store Aarons took part in the massive exercise on Thursday in the suburbs Washington in Maryland.

It only took one try but the domino tumble lasted for 13 minutes and 38 seconds.

Guinness said the stunt took 34 rows of mattress and 7,000 square feet of space.

Video courtesy of Guinness World Records

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36002767

Vid at link.

have set a new world record for "largest human mattress dominoes"
Possibly wrong, but.....

I get the distinct impression that they're spaced just too far apart, for the falls to be transmitted naturally. I feel that the preceding 'impact' is mainly acting as a signal for the faller to do a toe-ankle pushback topple (this is further emphasised by the oddly-underwhelming pace, which itself seems to vary).

For me, this is a bit of an curiously-unconfirmed record. We need to invoke the spirits of Roy Castle and the McWhirter twins for an ajudication...

I'm reviving this old thread, because TGBoR is still an ongoing thing, and because it might cut down the number of separate threads on The World's oldest, youngest, shortest, tallest, etc, etc...

..plus a mixed bag of new records has just shown up:

Guinness World Record for bearded woman Harnaam Kaur

A model with six-inch long facial hair has become the youngest woman in the world to have a full beard, according to the Guinness World Records.
Body positivity campaigner Harnaam Kaur, 24, from Slough, Berkshire, said it was "humbling" to be included.
She described her beard as part of her quest to overcome years of bullying to cope with her appearance.

Other record breakers added to the list include the longest pet cat and a high-jumping llama.

Ms Kaur has polycystic ovary syndrome, a hormonal condition that can result in the growth of excess facial hair.
In March 2016 she became the first female with a beard to walk the runway at London Fashion Week.

The record for longest domestic cat currently alive goes to a 3ft 10.59in (1.183m) moggy from Wakefield, West Yorkshire.
Ludo, a Maine Coon, was no bigger than other kittens in his litter when he was taken home by his owner Kelsey Gill in 2014.
Ms Gill now has to use a dog carrier for the supersized cat and a dog harness to accommodate his length.

Also making the list is Caspa, a nine-year-old high-jumping llama who can leap a bar 3ft 8.5in (1.13m) high.
The animal, which lives on a farm in Porthmadog, North Wales, has been described by his owner as a "total diva" and the envy of all the other llamas on the farm.

The record for the fastest speed achieved on a monowheel motorcycle has been set by a team at Elvington Airfield, North Yorkshire.
Kevin Scott, from Lincoln, achieved 98.464 km/h (61.18 mph) on a bike built by UK Monowheel Team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37305050

Photos and videos on page, and links to longer articles.

DUBAI: A Sikh temple in Dubai on Thursday broke the world record for serving breakfast to the maximum number of people from diverse nationalities.

The temple was awarded a Guinness World Record after serving 600 people from 101 countries an hour-long continental breakfast.

The temple broke the previous record of 55 nationalities sharing a continental breakfast, organized by Nutella at the Milan Expo in Italy in 2015.

The Khaleej Times reported that schoolchildren, government officials and diplomats attended the event while Indian Ambassador to the UAE Navdeep Singh Suri was the chief guest. ...

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1084436/offbeat

Back