• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pointless Endeavours (Arbitrary Pursuits; Not Record Attempts)

Today I read [Metro, 8/9/05, p4] that a German national "boot throwing" championship has been held in the village of Taunusstein-Hambach. Unfortunately I could'nt find anything more about it on the Internet. But the Internet shows that "boot throwing" contests are held in Germany on a regular basis.

During the search I also stumbled upon several "mobile phone throwing championships". BTW one of those was held in The Netherlands recently. IIRC they were hosted by Nokia ...

uair01 said:
Today I read [Metro, 8/9/05, p4] that a German national "boot throwing" championship has been held in the village of Taunusstein-Hambach. Unfortunately I could'nt find anything more about it on the Internet. But the Internet shows that "boot throwing" contests are held in Germany on a regular basis.

During the search I also stumbled upon several "mobile phone throwing championships". BTW one of those was held in The Netherlands recently. IIRC they were hosted by Nokia ...

Didn't they make a film about this............"Das Boot"..... :roll: sorry...lol

Drunken art show in the balance

Drunken art show in the balance

A performance artist's show which saw her spend three hours balancing on a beam while becoming drunk on lager has been defended by theatre officials.
The Chapter Arts Centre in Cardiff staged the work in its public bar by Tokyo-based Tomoko Takahashi, who is also known as Anti-Cool.

Local councillor Ramesh Patel said it should have been in a private room.

But Chapter said she was in control throughout in a safe setting where people knew they would see unique art.

She was drunk by the end of the performance but that made it more mesmerising for the audience to watch
James Tyson, Chapter

The Tokyo-based artist used 48 bottles of lager during her act on Saturday night, although she did not drink all of them.
Theatre programmer James Tyson said the point of the show, called Allurements of Mass Media, was to illustrate "the confusion we can feel in response to the amount of mass media that is pumped to us incessantly".

He said the artist worked with different products particular to the area she was in and she had seen several beer festivals in Cardiff.

"Initially some people found the image of Anti-Cool beginning to drink bottles of beer elevated on a balancing beam unsettling," he said.
"There were 48 bottles, but she did not drink all of those. Some of those she suspended from her neck by a rope inviting the audience to cut them away and take them for themselves.

"As the evening progressed, the public became very aware of her, many in empathy, many concerned for her safety."

Mr Tyson said her behaviour showed "extraordinary self-control," adding: "She was drunk by the end of the performance but that made it more mesmerising for the audience to watch."

If she was drunk then that concerns me and it sends out the wrong message.
Councillor Ramesh Patel

Mr Tyson added: "It was a very safe environment to present a piece of work. People will go into Chapter knowing that it's a place where art takes place - where you can look at films or performance that you wouldn't see otherwise."
The show was part of a month-long Experimentica 2005 season by the centre, which received about £750,000 in grant money to fund its programme of events between 2004 and 2005.

Mr Patel, a Labour councillor for the Canton ward, said: "I don't agree with any binge drinking, regardless of what it is.

"I think it is inappropriate that a performance of this nature is staged in the public bar area - it should have been behind closed doors."

He added: "If she was drunk then that concerns me and it sends out the wrong message. It is an arts centre but it also has a cinema and it is all open, so if young people were to walk through the main door they would've seen that."

A spokeswoman for Alcohol Concern said: "We don't comment on individual cases such as this but we are always concerned when people drink to excess and put their health and safety at risk."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/wales/4376884.stm

Published: 2005/10/26 07:08:21 GMT

© BBC MMV

Wonder if this is similar to Welly Hoying (not sure if its just a North Eastern England thing), my brother did it in the 70's/80's. Run it through google for more info.

Don't forget the noble American art of cow chip tossing for a particularly pointless "flinging objects about" pastime. I recall Roy Castle introducing an item on this on Record Breakers back in the eighties.

Here'e an expert:
http://www.thesylvaherald.com/B-Croft032802.htm

Amazing research

WHO would have thought it? In the November issue of The Journal of Sexual Medicine, researchers have published the first-ever prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-institutional treatment study with multi-dimensional psychometrically valid outcomes and concluded that an effective erectile dysfunction treatment in men also significantly improved sexual function and sexual satisfaction in untreated women partners.
http://www.newscientist.com/backpage.ns ... 825263.100

£225,000 lavished on slipper safety advice

By Philip Johnston, Home Affairs Editor
(Filed: 16/01/2006)

A £225,000 scheme advising the elderly on how to wear slippers is among an array of examples of "wasteful and useless" Government spending costing billions of pounds a year, researchers say.

The aim of the initiative was to persuade the over-55s not to wear ill-fitting slippers in case they tripped downstairs, according to The Bumper Book of Government Waste, to be published next month.

One pensioner group called the Health Department scheme "patronising".

The book, produced by the Taxpayers' Alliance, has collected hundreds of examples of state profligacy from the media, departmental announcements and Government statements.

They include £40,000 spent by the NHS on a 46-word "Patient Experience Definition" that required two £8,000 workshops, a £4,000 public meeting, two £1,600 meetings with children and three £600 in-depth interviews with mental patients.

Among the aspirations established by the exercise were that patients wished to be treated "with honesty, respect and dignity".

In 2004 the Home Office spent £74 million hiring 142 consultants and £2 million on security at a G8 meeting in Derbyshire last year, where police outnumbered demonstrators by 10 to one.

Matthew Elliott, the chief executive of the Taxpayers' Alliance, said the Government wasted up to £80 billion a year when unfunded pensions, defence procurement overruns and computer glitches were included.

"That is more than the annual turnover of many east European countries, or £4,000 per family in Britain," he said.
Telegraph

...examples of "wasteful and useless" Government spending costing billions of pounds a year, researchers say

So how much did this research cost? :D

(Visions of an infinite regress of research into useless research... :shock: )

Long-distance lovers can still drink together
08 March 2006
Exclusive from New Scientist Print Edition

Could glowing, Wi-Fi wine glasses let people in long-distance relationships feel more in touch with their other half? Don't scoff: researchers in Boston at MIT's Media Lab - that citadel of outside-the-box thinking - believe so. When you and your partner both raise the high-tech glasses they will glow warmly, no matter how far apart you are. The idea is to give the feeling of a shared drinking experience.

Jackie Lee and Hyemin Chung, experts in human-computer interaction, say that communal drinking is an important social interaction that helps bind friendships and relationships, but this is of course denied to people separated by geography. To give such lovebirds a chance to recreate some of the intimacy of sharing a drink, Lee and Chung have incorporated a variety of coloured LEDs, liquid sensors and wireless (GPRS or Wi-Fi) links into a pair of glass tumblers.

When either person picks up a glass, red LEDs on their partner's glass glow gently. And when either puts the glass to their lips, sensors make white LEDs on the rim of the other glass glow brightly, so you can tell when your other half takes a sip. Following tests in separate labs, Lee says the wireless glasses really do "help people feel as if they are sharing a drinking experience together".

The technology could also be used to check that hospital patients or elderly people are drinking enough water, Lee says. The glasses, dubbed lover's cups, will be unveiled at the CHI 2006 conference on computer-human interaction in Montreal in April.
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/mec ... 5.400.html

'Running tap' artist to try again

An artist's plan to leave six taps running for a year at secret London locations has angered Thames Water.
Performance artist Mark McGowan says it is a protest against private control of water in the UK.

The water company has threatened legal action to stop the "irresponsible" stunt which comes during a prolonged drought in southern England.

Last year McGowan left a tap running in a south London gallery, but bowed to pressure to turn it off after a month.

That stunt used 800,000 litres of water, and angered many Thames Water customers and gallery visitors - some of whom turned off the tap themselves.

This time he intends to keep the taps running at secret London addresses, sending an estimated 100 million litres down the drain.

Pull the plug

McGowan said that private water companies made a profit while wasting billions of gallons of water a year through under-investment.

"I understand we are in a drought. But I am an artist so I'm not actually wasting water for nothing." :roll:

A Thames Water spokesman said the company planned to take immediate legal action once it knew where the taps had been left running.

Pointing out that London and the South East get less rain per head of population than Istanbul and Dallas, he said: "For the sake of the environment we call on Mr McGowan to abandon this childish game now."

McGowan has previously made a name for himself by rolling a monkey nut across London with his nose to highlight student debt, and pulling a bus with his big toe in protest against bus lanes and mayor Ken Livingstone's "ridiculous traffic strategy".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4822418.stm
A lot of art is pointless, but this crosses the line into wicked wastefulness as well.

Naked Venezuelans surround Bolivar's statue

Sun Mar 19, 1:25 PM ET

CARACAS, Venezuela (Reuters) - More than 1,500 people gathered around a statue of 19th century liberation hero Simon Bolivar on Sunday and posed nude for a U.S. artist famous for his photos of naked crowds in public spaces.
ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Tunick organised the Caracas photo shoot along downtown Avenida Bolivar, a frequent spot for political rallies by supporters of President Hugo Chavez.

Surrounded by dozens of reporters and onlookers, the participants cracked jokes, shouted cheers for Tunick and struck poses for the press.

"I worked very, very hard and the people were extremely, extremely, extremely exuberant," Tunick said after the shoot.

"It's a new experience. And beyond the disinhibition of taking off clothes, this also involves art," said Jerry Lino, 30, who took part in the event. "One never feels naked."

More than 7,800 people had signed up, but only between 1,500 and 2,000 showed up.

Bolivar looms large in the rhetoric of Chavez. The populist president says he is leading a leftist "Bolivarian Revolution" to end poverty in the South American nation.

Tunick has photographed nude people in New York City as well as other urban centres around the world including London, Sao Paulo, Brazil, and Vienna, Austria.

http://tinyurl.com/rrbq9

On Saturday, the WMN had a front page photo of four spring lambs dressed in pink cardigans!

Why would woolly jumpers want woolly jumpers? :?

(Sadly, the accompanying article is not on the online edition.)

It was working this morning--I got the link from BoingBoing, so maybe the server's a little snowed under right now?

It's so cute I want to learn to knit so that I can make one!

Years ago, around 1992–93, a friend of mine who was a fan of Kiss (the rock band with facepaint) got the idea that he would change (in a project he called ”Kiss Hitler”) all song titles in their discography (then some 25 albums) to something to do with Hitler, Nazism or World War II. We grew up together, and had heard the rumour (before we learned Gene Simmons and Paul Stanely were Jewish (Gene is even from Israel)) that Kiss was secretly a Nazi band, had adopted the SS logo, &c. I guess it still fascinated him.

Either it took him all night, or he started late, because he was up all night doing this (he didn’t have a computer – everything was written with pen, in longhand, even the compilations), and the next morning he showed me the pages.

I looked through them, baffled. It started with the members past and present (”Gene Hitler”, ”Paul Rommel” &c (Gene was always his favourite, so he got to be the leader)) and the debut album, Kiss Hitler, and song by song he had inserted either the word ”heil” or ”Hitler”, or something to to with the Nazi party, the war, or the holocaust. Some were extremely offensive and I won't reproduce them (Rock & Roll Over, Hot in the Shade), but in most cases it was like ”Rock & Roll Sieg Heil” (”Rock & Roll All Nite”), ”Berlin Rock City” (”Detroit Rock City”), ”Eva 16” (”Christine 16”), ”Burning Up with Hitler” (”Burning Up with Fever”) ... until I found ”What’s on Your Mind?” from Ace Frehley’s solo album.

That was the one title he hadn’t changed.

I was like ”you forgot about this one”, but he just looked at me like I didn’t get it, and said ”It’s a rhetorical question. The allies are wondering what’s on Hitler’s mind ... what his next move will be.”

theyithian said:
Pointless? Well, mostly, but i quitem like this one myself and it is raising awareness for the Duke of Edinburgh Awards which continue to be an excellent programme:

Dinner and dive from air balloon

A team of explorers say they have broken a world record to host a dinner party at a table suspended below a hot air balloon at 24,000ft (7,315m).
David Hempleman-Adams, Bear Grylls and Lieutenant Commander Alan Veal were all involved in the unusual challenge in Somerset on Thursday.

A three-course spread was laid on for Mr Grylls and Lt Comm Veal who abseiled from the balloon's basket to the table.

They saluted the Queen before skydiving to earth.

Mr Grylls, 30, said: "The aim was to celebrate 50 years of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

"The record was set at 22,000ft (6,705m) in the Himalayas and we wanted to break it with a twist."

Temperatures reached -45C as the adventurers enjoyed duck a l'orange on plastic plates.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wilt ... 636543.stm

And toasting Her Majesty the Queen at 24,000ft and -45C has a certain charm..

that's just so....British! I love it!

Love thy neighbour and all that, and you thought the leylandii were bad enough.

Titanic recreated in back garden
A maritime enthusiast has built an 88ft model of RMS Titanic in the back garden of his Inverness home.

Stan Fraser, 41, is fascinated with the story of the passenger ship which struck an iceberg and sank on its maiden voyage in 1912.

Mr Fraser and his sons Jason, 12, and Scott, 14, have spent six years so far on the model which dominates the garden of their home in Clachnaharry Road.

It disguises two caravans the Frasers stayed in while renovating their home.

While neighbours might be content with a garden gnome or two, Mr Fraser's garden is awash with marker buoys, defunct mini commercial submersibles and fishing gear.

However, the wooden Titanic model dominates the back yard.

Mr Fraser said: "Everyone knows the amazing and tragic story of Titanic.

"I started out building the model six years and it is to a scale of one to 10."

The ship hides two old caravans the family stayed in while their house was being done up and a new extension built.

Mr Fraser uses a disco smoke machine to create smoke for the ship's four funnels and has launched his own website to promote his ambition to open a maritime museum.

Titanic sank on 15 April 1912, with the loss of 1,503 passengers and crew.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/s ... 168346.stm

Published: 2006/07/11 15:13:41 GMT

© BBC MMVI

The Guardian has just reprinted an old account of one Carlisle Graham, who went over Niagara Falls in a barrel.

Seeking more on the subject, I found a splendid page devoted to these dare-devils here

Animal-lovers may wish to skip the first tale, which is quite horrid. :eek:

Sprout eater's record bid fails

Sprout eater's record bid fails

He has set himself five challenges instead of New Year resolutions
A Devon man who hoped to set a world record by eating the most Brussel sprouts in a minute has failed.
Richard Townsend, 24, of Exeter, fell seven short of the target of 43, which was set in December 2003.

Mr Townsend, who had eaten a plate of sprouts every day for the last six months, said he just "lost it".

After cramming the sprouts into his mouth with a toothpick, he said: "I do not think I could face another sprout for a few days."

But then, after he popped one of the remaining vegetables into his mouth, he said: "It's a shame to waste them."

Raised £250

The accounts administrator explained his failure, saying a couple of the vegetables "slid off the plate" meaning he could not eat them quickly enough.

He had peeled then cooked the sprouts for four minutes in order to ensure they were exactly one inch in diameter.

But the record set by Dave Mynard, from London, still stands.

Mr Townsend's record bid raised £250 in sponsorship for the Mencap charity, which will be matched by his employer EDF.

Mr Townsend decided to try and break the record as part of his mission to replace his New Year resolutions with five challenges which have to be completed before the end of the year.

He has so far achieved three of them as he has appeared on TV, met someone who has starred in a computer game and has started a celebrity-signed collection of teabags.

His final challenge is to fly in a helicopter before the end of the year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 191177.stm

He missed his chance at the world record for biggest fart after the sprout eating event. Silly billy. :roll:

Indian teenagers get record fever

Indian teenagers get record fever
By Faisal Mohammad Ali
BBC News, Indore

Sixteen-year-old Aditi Gupta danced non-stop for 85 hours
Teenagers in central India have been gripped by an obsession with breaking records in singing and dancing.

The city of Indore is now home to a number of youngsters who are out-singing and out-dancing competitors for a place in the record books and a shot at fame.

The media, talent scouts and many parents have encouraged the youngsters, most of whom lack formal training in their disciplines.

Doctors say enduring marathon spells on stage could damage their health.

'Now I am famous'

Nine-year-old Anushka Singhal began the craze in Indore, one of central India's biggest commercial cities, by singing non-stop for 18 hours for a place in the record books.

I always wanted to do something big so that I would be known by everybody

Record breaker Aditi Gupta

Two local girls and a boy soon out-sang her non-stop for 61, 65 and 101 hours respectively.

Such was the frenzy that Saniya Sayed, who had earlier sung non-stop for 65 hours, picked up the gauntlet again and sang for 130 hours, ignoring doctors' advice that the stress could damage her vocal chords.

"Now I am known and famous," Saniya was quoted in the local media as saying.

Then there are dancers like 16-year-old Aditi Gupta who danced on a stage continuously for 85 hours recently to the beat of Bollywood hits.

"I always wanted to do something big so that I would be known by everybody," she said.

Sociologist Neelam Hingorani says many of the parents of Indore's record-breaking teens are pushing their children.

"Sometimes parents are pushing their children, especially those who want to live their unfulfilled dreams through their children," she says.

She is not far off the mark - Aditi Gupta's mother says her daughter's performance meant a lot to her as it has fulfilled her childhood dream of becoming a famous dancer.

'No value'

Event manager Sunil Jain says the record-breaking mania helps local talent scout agencies to raise money through such acts.

Aakansha Jachak sang non-stop for 61 hours in a short-lived record

He says these feats are usually performed in well-attended public functions sponsored by local businesses, and often by community leaders.

A local Hindi teacher, Rajeev Sharma, says the local media is also fuelling this trend. He also finds most of these achievements to get into record books of "no value to the society".

"What is this whole business of getting into a book which is known for including feats like growing the longest moustache?" he asks.

But this is not deterring the youngsters of Indore from trying to break records.

Nine-year old Simran Bharti, for example, has concluded her non-stop dance performance to the tunes of 61 Hindi chart-busters.

And a high school student is planning to do a 91-hour marathon dance to out-perform Aditi Gupta.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6266297.stm

Okay, this is wandering a bit afar but Emps reminded me of it with his remark about "mad despots" a few pages back--so blame him, not me :p !

Anyway, I always loved the story--which I guess is true--about the infamous Emperor Nero. (BTW Emps--any relation? :lol: ) You've all heard, I'm sure, that Nero fancied himself quite the performer. Yes, apparently the gods had blessed him with all kinds of talents--singing, dancing, acting, fiddling 8) and of course, athletically.

So he decides to enter the Olympics--in the chariot races. Off he goes to Greece, climbs into his chariot, whips up the horses and round the Olympic stadium they go.

Nero falls off at one point--flat on his face in the dust--and comes in dead last.

Of course he's immediately crowned the victor.

I don't know why, but that has always struck me as hysterically funny. (Yeah, I know, I have a weird sense of humor. :twisted: ).

I would give anything to have seen the expressions on the faces of the "losers". Poor guys! I guess they knew lodging a formal protest would buy them a ticket to the Colosseum--with themselves as the featured attractions. :shock:

And while I'm droning on ;) I have to put in a plug for a local event. You might have read a famous story by Mark Twain, "The Jumping Frog of Calaveras County"? (If you haven't, do yourself a favor and read it--it's a riot!). Well, that story was so popular it started a craze here in the US for frog-jumping contests--yes, I'm serious. :sceptic: That story was written over a century ago, but we still love our frog-jumping events.

Kind of like equestrian Olympic eventing, you know--only with frogs. :blah: The best kind of frogs, in case you're interested, are those huge bullfrogs you can find out in the swamps. Just watch out for the snakes. :twisted:

Sorry--I keep wandering all over the place.

Anyway, years ago when this frog-jumping business was THE THING, my home state (South Carolina) decided to get in on a good thing. The first state-wide competition was held in the capital city, Columbia, and the agreement was that from wherever in the state the winning frog came, that town henceforth would be the site of the yearly event.

Well, the winner of that long-ago first contest came from a tiny town that even most South Carolinians had never heard of--a little place called Springfield.

Every year, Springfield has its Frog-Jumping contest, with entrants from all over the state--and the signs you see when entering the town proudly pronounce Springfield "Home of the Governor's Frog Jump"!

I am proud to state that I live a mere 11 miles from Springfield. :blissed:

And if that is not a pathetic plea for attention, I don't know what is. LOL!

I have to admit I've never "entered" a frog in the contest, but never say never.

I can see myself now, crawling around in the local swamps hunting for a big old bullfrog--while trying NOT to get hunted by the local snakes. :shock:

Oh well, everyone needs a goal in life.

I just might have found mine. :twisted:

And I don't think this had anything whatever to do with the thread.

Sorry. :smokin:

Mythopoeika said:
He missed his chance at the world record for biggest fart after the sprout eating event. Silly billy. :roll:

:D :D :D

He could have lit it, as well...

Dutch brewers launch dogs' beer

A small brewery in the Netherlands has launched a new beer designed to bring cool relief to thirsty dogs.
Kwispelbier, marketed as "a beer for your best friend", is made from a special brew of beef extract and malt.

The beverage is a creation of pet shop owner Gerrie Berendsen, who wanted her dogs to share light refreshments with her after a day's hunting.

The beer is non-alcoholic and fit for human consumption, but costs four times as much as a Heineken.

"Kwispel" is the Dutch word for wagging a tail.

Ms Berendsen, who lives in the eastern town of Zelhem, commissioned the small local Schelde brewery to make and bottle the beer.

"Once a year we go to Austria to hunt with our dogs, and at the end of the day we sit on the verandah and drink a beer. So we thought, my dog also has earned it," Ms Berendsen told the Associated Press.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6288107.stm

US astronaut to compete in marathon – in space
21:29 29 March 2007
NewScientist.com news service
Kelly Young

Enlarge image
US astronaut Sunita Williams runs on the space station's treadmill. Bungee cords keep her from floating away (Image: NASA) US astronaut Sunita Williams is set to run the Boston Marathon ... in space.

Williams is in the middle of a six- or seven-month rotation aboard the International Space Station (ISS). She may in fact break the record for the longest stay in space by a US astronaut because it is not certain when a shuttle will launch to pick her up (see Space station astronaut set to break US flight record).

The 41-year-old will run the 42.2-kilometre (26.2-mile) race on the station's treadmill on 16 April and will circle the Earth at least twice during the event, putting her speed relative to Earth far above the other entrants.

She says she is doing it to motivate children to be fit. "I encourage kids to start making physical fitness part of their daily lives," Williams said. "I think a big goal like a marathon will help get this message out there."

Williams qualified for the Boston Marathon by finishing among the top 100 women in the Houston Marathon in January 2006.

Williams's sister, Dina Pandya, and her friend, astronaut Karen Nyberg, will be in Boston running the race on the ground that day. The marathon will begin at 1000 EDT (1500 GMT) on 16 April, but NASA is not certain whether Williams will run at the exact same time as the other women runners because the crew generally gets up much earlier in the day.

Williams runs at least four times a week in space, including two longer runs and two shorter ones, according to NASA. The ISS also has a stationary bicycle and a device that simulates weight training so astronauts can try to stem the loss of muscle mass and bone density due to microgravity.

Related Articles
Space station astronaut set to break US flight record
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn11488
28 March 2007
Cosmonaut shanks longest golf shot in history
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn10648
23 November 2006
Space Cycle may boost astronauts’ fitness
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8000
15 September 2005

Weblinks
Boston Marathon