• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

I'm just glad nobody has done Forbidden Planet...unless you count Star Trek :)
There were mutterings of a Forbidden Planet remake a few years back, with various people attached at different times. It seems to have vanished into the void.

There were mutterings of a Forbidden Planet remake a few years back, with various people attached at different times. It seems to have vanished into the void.
Will it be done with an all-female cast?

Mutter, mutter. What is the world coming to...

Yes, I seem to remember James Cameron's name popping up at one point.
Sometimes I think it would have seen a follow up:
Admiral, the Krell have returned!
Surely you can't be serious!
Yes I am. And don't call me Shirley.
Well maybe not :)

Will it be done with an all-female cast?

Mutter, mutter. What is the world coming to...
Probably will be now, since that's the fad. I wonder whether Roberta the Robot will be in it.

Clue is getting a remake
A second movie based on the boardgame Cluedo is on the way…
The 1985 movie adaptation of the game Cluedo – which went by the its American title of Clue – was one of those films infamous for failing to set the box office alight on its original release, but went on to find a sizeable audience afterwards. That’s not a surprise, either: Jonathan Lynn’s movie remains a real treat, with a cast led by the peerless Tim Curry.

Still, it’s remake time. 20th Century Fox has picked up the rights to make further films based on Cluedo, and it has a new movie on the way. Josh Feldman is producing, and the plan this time is tell the story of a ‘worldwide mystery’, this time with ‘action-adventure elements’. Furthermore, if all goes to plan, then expect an ongoing franchise of films.
etc etc etc
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/clue/43062/clue-is-getting-a-remake

Now this... this is heresy.
Clue and Murder By Death are my perfect Sunday afternoon movies.

There were mutterings of a Forbidden Planet remake a few years back, with various people attached at different

Oh no.

Yes, I seem to remember James Cameron's name popping up at one point.

Oh f*ck no!

If they did, every time I raved about 'The Foribben Plannet'. That'd mean that, like 'Get Carter' (1971) and 'The Day of the Jackal' (1973), I'd have to spend ages beforehand emphasising to people (until I was absolutely certain they got it) that I meant the originals. Not the poxy little remakes. Neither of which I've seen.

Edit to re-emphasise my extreme distaste at the idea of remaking classics. I hate it.

Thankfully though, some films seem to be too big to resurrected as pale, limp liches of their originals. I doubt we'll ever see a remake of 'The Godfather' (I+II), Alien, or Jaws. Although, they have made truly cringe worthy sequels to all of these.

Last edited:
Must admit I was intrigued by the proposed remakes of Quatermass and the Pit (which took the ending of the original as the end of the remake's first act) and Fantastic Voyage (which would take place inside the body of an alien crashed space ship pilot). Sounded like the right way to go about the remake business if you get a good idea to build on the source. Not that this happens too often.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes remade Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and was terrific, for instance, because it was inspired by the material rather than coasting on it redundantly.

First I've heard, but some reviews are out of a Ben Hur remake.

First I've heard, but some reviews are out of a Ben Hur remake.
A remake of the remake, no less.

As for Clue being rehashed, it's good to know that Tim Curry has recovered enough to work. He had a colossal stroke a few years back, full-on paralysis and his voice gone, too.

As for Clue being rehashed, it's good to know that Tim Curry has recovered enough to work. He had a colossal stroke a few years back, full-on paralysis and his voice gone, too.

I didn't know that! yes indeed, great news he is so recevoered.

Not a remake but did that Laurel and Hardy movie get made with Steve Coogan and John C Reilley?

Looks like the Ghostbusters reboot was so bad even 'Honest Trailers' aren't sure about taking the piss out of it!

Trigger warning for people who find trigger warnings triggering.

‘An American Werewolf In London’ Remake On Way With Max Landis & ‘The Walking Dead’ Producers At Universal
An American Werewolf in London is officially getting a remake with The Walking Dead‘s David Albert and Robert Kirkman producing through their Skybound Entertainment for Universal Pictures. The remake of filmmaker John Landis’ classic 1981 comedic horror film will be written by his son Max Landis, who also is attached to direct. The news comes after the elder Landis and filmmaker Anthony Waller (An American Werewolf in Paris) sealed a deal with the studio on the rights.
http://deadline.com/2016/11/an-amer...emake-on-way-max-landis-universal-1201850435/

Paul Verhoeven Slams ‘Starship Troopers’ Remake, Says It’ll Be a Fascist Update Perfect for a Trump Presidency
“It said in the article [that] the production team of that movie of the remake, that they would go back more and more towards the novel. And of course, we really, really tried to get away from the novel, because we felt that the novel was fascistic and militaristic,” said Verhoeven. “You feel that going back to the novel would fit very much in a Trump Presidency.”

“Our philosophy was really different [from Heinlein’s book],we wanted to do a double story, a really wonderful adventure story about these young boys and girls fighting, but we also wanted to show that these people are really, in their heart, without knowing it, are on their way to fascism,” Verhoeven said.
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/11/pa...t-update-perfect-trump-presidency-1201747155/

CHiPS has been remade as a comedy film ... the trailer doesn't look terrible ..

Apart from how the lack of originality in Hollywood, don't they realise that these shows weren't comedies to start with? (There's a Baywatch one as well lined up for this year.)

Apart from how the lack of originality in Hollywood, don't they realise that these shows weren't comedies to start with? (There's a Baywatch one as well lined up for this year.)

Starsky and Hutch was a previous example...

The 21 Jump Street movies were surprisingly good.

This thread really depresses me.
Why does Hollywood keep butchering and regurgitating classic movies?

The Wicker Man
The Ring
Pulse
The Haunting
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Lord of the Flies
Rollerball

The list goes on and on.

They make money. Original movies are risky investments.

Why can't they make new films? There are scriptwriters queuing up to get their work filmed.
It's not like the script is the most expensive part of making a film.

We do seem to live in an age calcified by nostalgia. Even the whole hipster thing seems to be about 'repurposing' the past rather than creating anything new.

Hopefully it's just a temporary paralysis and we haven't really reached the "end of history".

CHiPS has been remade as a comedy film ... the trailer doesn't look terrible ..

If you mean it does look terrible then, yeah, it does. Michael Pena is more proof Scientologists don't make good film stars unless they're Isaac Hayes in Truck Turner. They've turned Moltar's favourite car crash show into one long dick joke (so to speak). I bet they don't even have the funky theme tune, or if they do they'll have Lil Wayne rapping over it or something. Bleuch.

Is Lil Wayne still a thing? Anyhow, I watched the Robocop remake tonight. It lacked the viscerial pace of the original, but nevertheless I enjoyed it on its own terms.

Back