• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

If they can remake King Kong as Queen Kong and A*P*E, why not do all the classics again, like Gone With The Wind or Citizen Kane...

If they can remake King Kong as Queen Kong and A*P*E...

... Why can’t we have a real-life Serial Ape-ist?

latest

maximus otter

Last edited:
Actually, I think there are plenty of people at least as good as Bruce Lee working in Hong Kong films today, but I still don’t think they should remake one of his films.

Why is everyone afraid of new stories? I mean, I actually know why, but it’s a stupid reason, and it’s preventing talented creators from doing interesting things.

Well, there has been a second wave of Brucesploitation movies over the past few years, from young Bruce characters to associated people who are meant to have taught him, like Donnie Yen's Ip Man series. However, seeing as how Donnie fights Mike Tyson in one of those, historical accuracy is suspect.

And there are rip-offs of Enter the Dragon, like Jean-Claude Van Damme's The Quest, for instance. Or Mortal Kombat and Dead or Alive (the computer game adaptations). Bullshit, Mr Han Man, as Jim Kelly would say, but they don't eclipse the original.

Well, there has been a second wave of Brucesploitation movies over the past few years, from young Bruce characters to associated people who are meant to have taught him, like Donnie Yen's Ip Man series. However, seeing as how Donnie fights Mike Tyson in one of those, historical accuracy is suspect.
Donnie Yen was pretty awesome in those Ip Man films.

There's a trailer out for a new Robin Hood movie. Which seems to in no way resemble Robin Hood. It reminds me of when people say they have found Atlantis, except it's not sunk, not an island and not in the Atlantic.

From what I could tell from a quick googling, the new Charlie's Angels is a continuation of the previous movies, which were themselves a continuation of the series. So they're 'soft reboots' I suppose, and not really remakes. They're just milking the franchise basically. Personally I'm a little tired of action films. The last John Wick was good, and the John Wick franchise certainly has its own take, but mostly these things are leaving me cold now.

Each time they do a Charlie's Angels film, it gets further and further away from the spirit of the original. Just no.

From what I could tell from a quick googling, the new Charlie's Angels is a continuation of the previous movies, which were themselves a continuation of the series. So they're 'soft reboots' I suppose, and not really remakes. They're just milking the franchise basically. Personally I'm a little tired of action films. The last John Wick was good, and the John Wick franchise certainly has its own take, but mostly these things are leaving me cold now.
I only saw John Wick recently, and I was impressed with the fight scenes. How authentic they were.
Having seen Keanu do a gun demonstration on Youtube the other day, I was knocked out by the fact that he has real gun skills. A police gun marksman even made a remark that he could easily have a career as a swat team professional.

I only saw John Wick recently, and I was impressed with the fight scenes. How authentic they were.
Having seen Keanu do a gun demonstration on Youtube the other day, I was knocked out by the fact that he has real gun skills. A police gun marksman even made a remark that he could easily have a career as a swat team professional.

It was really good. I loved the attack dogs as well.

I've never thought much of Keanu's acting, but I genuinely think he takes his work very seriously. And from accounts is a top bloke. Which is all perhaps more important than acting talent.

I've never thought much of Keanu's acting, but I genuinely think he takes his work very seriously. And from accounts is a top bloke. Which is all perhaps more important than acting talent.
His acting has actually improved over the years. He used to be so wooden, but now I think he's more natural.

There's a trailer out for a new Robin Hood movie. Which seems to in no way resemble Robin Hood. It reminds me of when people say they have found Atlantis, except it's not sunk, not an island and not in the Atlantic.

I've forgotten the name of it, but was that the one where they had modern dress and what looked like medieval rocket launchers?

I've a vague notion that Scholagladitoria on youtube was pissing himself laughing at it.

Edit: here we go

I've forgotten the name of it, but was that the one where they had modern dress and what looked like medieval rocket launchers?

I've a vague notion that Scholagladitoria on youtube was pissing himself laughing at it.

Edit: here we go

It looks like a pile of poo.

Back