• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

Not wishing to split hairs or be pedantic but, doesn't enjoying something, especially to the point of rewatching it several times imply you thought it was good?
I'd say no ...

There are TV shows and films (etc.) that I don't think are "good" (quality) but I find "are good for some effect or payoff" (a laugh; passing the time; mocking; etc.).

Conversely, there are items of art or entertainment that are quite "good" (quality) but which leave me cold (bored; etc.) to the point I can't stand them.

I'd say no ...

There are TV shows and films (etc.) that I don't think are "good" (quality) but I find "are good for some effect or payoff" (a laugh; passing the time; mocking; etc.).

Conversely, there are items of art or entertainment that are quite "good" (quality) but which leave me cold (bored; etc.) to the point I can't stand them.
I think, for me, I can appreciate certain ideas or visuals even if the overall product doesn't work, or has a fatal flaw that ruins the whole thing that probably should have been stripped away at some point in production. Our relationship with fiction can be complicated.

Increased whispers about Paramount being in discussions with Seth MacFarlane to reboot the Naked Gun series with Liam Neeson!

I find Neeson very watchable--and I reckon he could pull this off--but it's a very risky attempt to make.

A lot will come down to the script, but you cannot--ultimately--replace Leslie Nielsen.

Can't be done.

Increased whispers about Paramount being in discussions with Seth MacFarlane to reboot the Naked Gun series with Liam Neeson!

I find Neeson very watchable--and I reckon he could pull this off--but it's a very risky attempt to make.

A lot will come down to the script, but you cannot--ultimately--replace Leslie Nielsen.

Can't be done.

They kind of did it with Rashida Jones a few years ago and that was OK. Mind you, she is experienced in comedy, and Liam may be many things, but hilarious isn't one of them.

They kind of did it with Rashida Jones a few years ago and that was OK. Mind you, she is experienced in comedy, and Liam may be many things, but hilarious isn't one of them.
I was going to say, I don't ever recall him doing any comedy.

I was going to say, I don't ever recall him doing any comedy.
But then Leslie Nielsen wasn't known as a comedic actor. Until Airplane, he tended to play doctors, lawyers and even a starship captain - solid dependable, professional types which is why he was so brilliant as Frank Drebin.
I don't know if Neeson could pull it off but if he wants to do comedy I'd prefer if he had another vehicle and not a remake of a classic.

He's done a few cameos sending up his usual roles.

Yeah, no leads, though. He seems to have cornered the market in cheapo action thrillers since his unfortunate press conference. I guess the audience for those don't care about that.

Can't be done.

See, I'd see Neeson far better in a remake of the classic (in my house, anyway) 80's TV comedy Sledgehammer, which wouldn't be far removed from his output of late.

He just doesn't come across as Frank Drebin to me.

See, I'd see Neeson far better in a remake of the classic (in my house, anyway) 80's TV comedy Sledgehammer, which wouldn't be far removed from his output of late.
Oh, man. I had to stop myself from buying the complete DVD collection. I miss Sledgehammer so much. You just don't get comedy like that nowdays. In other news, "Get off my lawn, you kids!"

But then Leslie Nielsen wasn't known as a comedic actor. Until Airplane, he tended to play doctors, lawyers and even a starship captain - solid dependable, professional types which is why he was so brilliant as Frank Drebin.
I don't know if Neeson could pull it off but if he wants to do comedy I'd prefer if he had another vehicle and not a remake of a classic.
Better that than Liam's usual genre of "Liam Neeson beats people up".

Can't be done.
Not even with a near-anagram?

Anyway, Neeson did comedy (or tried to!) in Life's Too Short.

I think making another Naked Gun is likely a huge mistake for many reasons, from memory the second and third were stretching things and it's now been a long time.

I also read Yith's post and read "Liam Neeson" as "Leslie Nielsen" and was very, very confused.

All men whose initials are "L.N" look the same to me, shameful racist that I am.

I note, with sadness, that a pointless Hollywood remake (Coda) won the Oscar for best movie last night.

The long, slow death of original cinema continues

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/coda-remake-oscar-chances-1234710374/

Last night's otherwise forgettable Oscars will instead be remembered for the boorish Will Smith laughing along with Chris Rock, but then climbing onto the stage and bitch-slapping him, whilst screaming obscenities.

I note, with sadness, that a pointless Hollywood remake (Coda) won the Oscar for best movie last night...

Have you seen the movie? Or is that opinion based simply on the fact that it's a remake? Genuine question, because I've watched and liked La Famille Belier but would quite like to know if the US version is worth a punt or not.

I think people forget that remakes and reboots have been going on since forever. Movies which people think of automatically as originals, turn out to be no such thing - The Wizard of Oz, Quo Vadis, Ben Hur, Mutiny on the Bounty...

You could also argue that - being based on stage musicals - all the classic musical movies are not really original in and of themselves.

Yes - you get shit remakes. But a remake isn't shit simply because it's a remake.

I much prefer the later versions off both The Thin Red Line and True Grit.

Last edited:
Have you seen the movie? Or is that opinion based simply on the fact that it's a remake? Genuine question, because I've watched and liked La Famille Beliers but would quite like to know if the US version is worth a punt or not.

I think people forget that remakes and reboots have been going on since forever. Movies which people think of automatically as originals, turn out to be no such thing - The Wizard of Oz, Quo Vadis, Ben Hur, Mutiny on the Bounty...

You could also argue that - being based on stage musicals - all the classic musical movies are not really original in and of themselves.

Yes - you get shit remakes. But a remake isn't shit simply because it's a remake.

I much prefer the later versions off both The Thin Red Line and True Grit.

I tend to avoid remakes and would have preferred it if the French original had received more credit and a wider release.

The proliferation of remakes in recent years is a trend I deplore and wish an original movie had won last night.

I’d rather not see Neeson in a remake of The Naked Gun thank you.
I remember Steve Martin’s Pink Panther movie as being a bit underwhelming and he’s a proper comedian.

I’ve come to the conclusion Hollywood are choosing projects based on an algorithm of popular meme images.

I tend to avoid remakes and would have preferred it if the French original had received more credit and a wider release.

The proliferation of remakes in recent years is a trend I deplore and wish an original movie had won last night.

We forget that:

a) It's all about money: Hollywood is not a charity, and;

b) 80% of all films lose money.

If you can start out with a premise, some characters, maybe even some dialogue, and know that it's worked previously, you can shorten those odds a little.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

maximus otter

I’d rather not see Neeson in a remake of The Naked Gun thank you.
I remember Steve Martin’s Pink Panther movie as being a bit underwhelming and he’s a proper comedian.

I’ve come to the conclusion Hollywood are choosing projects based on an algorithm of popular meme images.

They probably are choosing to greenlight films based on algorithims, and streaming services even more so.

I tend to avoid remakes and would have preferred it if the French original had received more credit and a wider release...

Worth mentioning that CODA employed deaf actors for the three main deaf characters, whereas La Famille Belier did not (I think only the actor who plays the son is actually deaf). There was also criticism of the original when it was released that they mangled the sign language - with the odd result that deaf audience members who should have understood the French Sign Language being used actually had to read the subtitles.

I generally find myself drawn to European film and TV drama - finding less and less attachment to US product as time goes by. But with the above in mind, I think there's at least the potential for CODA to be a better movie - so I'll give it a go it before I slate it.

I am (at least theoretically) more sympathetic to remakes of foreign language films - as differences in culture, society, humour and other attitudes, if translated sensitively and with imagination, can make the versions different enough to be independently enjoyable. That said - it certainly doesn't always work; I love every instalment of Nicolas Winding Refn's Pusher trilogy - the non-Danish remakes I've seen have been utter shite, not least because they seem to insist on polishing out all the uncompromising grittiness, and reinserting the clichés and standard tropes that the originals couldn't be much bothered with.

Last edited:
I note, with sadness, that a pointless Hollywood remake (Coda) won the Oscar for best movie last night.

The long, slow death of original cinema continues

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/coda-remake-oscar-chances-1234710374/

Last night's otherwise forgettable Oscars will instead be remembered for the boorish Will Smith laughing along with Chris Rock, but then climbing onto the stage and bitch-slapping him, whilst screaming obscenities.
I can't stand Hollywood any more and most actors its just to much and don't watch American stuff these days and even the American accent gets on my wick as I think its to do with all the bloody YouTube adverts.

It's interesting to watch Leslie Nielsen in CREEPSHOW when he played the rich guy who buries Ted Danson up to the neck on a beach so he can watch him drown .. only for Danson's character to return as a water logged zombie and kill him. No laughs to be found in that episode.

Back