• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pokémon GO Madness

I saw this for the first time last night when at work from a customer .. maybe I'm missing the point but for me; it was funny to watch a red and white ball bounce around where we were standing for about ten seconds .. I don't mean to be a kill joy or anything, it's obviously 'trending' at the moment .. I still think it's a bit shit after admiring it for ten seconds though .. as long as it makes people smile I suppose ...

'Pokemon Go': 10 Strangest Pokestop Locations'
From graveyards to Holocaust memorials, Pokemon are showing up in inappropriate spots
The Pentagon
As one clever D.C.-based Pokémon Go player pointed out on Reddit, the famously secretive home to the Department of Defense is also home to a Gym, or a Pokéstop where you battle the Pokémon you've collected. However, it's probably one of the harder ones to access – touring the Pentagon is an ordeal that has to be booked at least two weeks in advance, and, unfortunately, doesn't allow the use of cell phones.
Auschwitz Memorial
Much like the officials at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C., those in charge of the Auschwitz Memorial in Poland – the preserved site of one of the most brutal concentration camps employed during World War II, where over a million Jews and other victims of the Nazis lost their lives – have kindly asked that tourists refrain from catching Pokémon while on the grounds.
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/pictures/pokemon-go-10-worst-pokestop-locations-20160713/

I saw this for the first time last night when at work from a customer .. maybe I'm missing the point but for me; it was funny to watch a red and white ball bounce around where we were standing for about ten seconds .. I don't mean to be a kill joy or anything, it's obviously 'trending' at the moment .. I still think it's a bit shit after admiring it for ten seconds though .. as long as it makes people smile I suppose ...
You should feel very proud that you managed 10 seconds of this rubbish in the interests of research for this forum. We all owe you a debt of gratitude. Now that you've watched this shit, I don't have to!

It's daft but it is an escape from reality and a bit of fun, hell, if we don't need that in current circumstances.

The amount of people wailing because "It's for children!", "It will be used by robbers and paedos!" and "It's stupid!"...

It's not your thing, great! Well done for you... Thing is the majority of people on my Facebook feed denouncing it are hardly spending their time better reading classic novels or playing an instrument.

It's daft but it is an escape from reality and a bit of fun, hell, if we don't need that in current circumstances.

The amount of people wailing because "It's for children!", "It will be used by robbers and paedos!" and "It's stupid!"...

It's not your thing, great! Well done for you... Thing is the majority of people on my Facebook feed denouncing it are hardly spending their time better reading classic novels or playing an instrument.
And there's an old meme that covers it:

KLT0Ihq.jpg

A good point, well made! It's not for me, true, but to each his own.

On the other hand, that idiot who got stabbed and didn't want to get treatment, is still an idiot.

Pokemon are Go in another 26 countries now. Let us hope it ends well.

The park I work in has had people of all ages coming down playing this game.

I've never seen teenagers so quiet!

When I came back from work yesterday, I saw a couple of young men standing by the side of the road just round the corner from me. I thought they looked a bit suspicious - they weren't standing at bus stops, or walking, or even standing next to each other.
It occurs to me now that they may have been playing this game.

From the news reports that seems to be happening, or at least players are being mugged when they go off exploring where they'd be advised not to. I don't have a problem with games encouraging people to get off their arses and take a walk, but it would be helpful if they realised they are playing more in the real world than they are in the fantasy one.

Two teenagers playing Pokemon Go late at night in their car in Florida were shot at by a householder who mistook them for burglars, police say.

The man said he shot at their car after they refused to stop when he challenged them on Saturday. They were not hurt.

He said that earlier he had heard the pair say "did you get anything"?

Police in Florida have used the incident as an opportunity to issue guidelines for teenagers and parents on safely playing the game.

Police say they received a call from the parents of one of the teenagers when it was noticed later that bullets had caused a flat tyre, News4jax reported. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36818384

I'm guessing that image will mean something to Pokemon followers? The fact that it means nothing to me would suggest that I have not been infected with this madness just yet!
The doughnuts are supposed to look like Pokemon balls:
Pok%C3%A9_Ball_SSBB.png

Wonder if this one is real or fake?

AUBURN, N.Y. -- A driver was playing Pokemon Go Tuesday night when he swerved off an Auburn road and hit a tree, police said.

A man, 28, was trying to catch Pokemon on his phone at 10:44 p.m. while driving near 144 Owasco St., said the Auburn Police Department. Distracted by the game, the man drove his car off the roadway and crashed into a tree, police said.

The man was not seriously injured, police said. The crash left the front end of his car crumpled.

The man admitted he was playing Pokemon Go while driving, police said.

Syracuse

I know very little about it myself. I'm 55, fer gawd's sake!

They are what you catch and store your pokemon with.

A local electronics chain advertised a sale, and wrote that they will be releasing a new pokemon every half hour. A kind of Put & Take I suppose.

A local electronics chain advertised a sale, and wrote that they will be releasing a new pokemon every half hour. A kind of Put & Take I suppose.
That's an interesting way to attract people to a store. However, those people may just get in the way and not buy anything.

Bosnians playing the hit mobile game Pokemon Go are being warned to avoid straying into areas still sown with landmines from the war in the 1990s.

A Bosnian demining charity, Posavina bez mina, issued its warning after hearing reports of Pokemon Go users venturing into risky areas.

Players use their smartphones to hunt for cartoon monsters in the real world.

At least 600 people have been killed in landmine accidents in Bosnia since the end of the war in 1995.

About 120,000 mines remain undiscovered, a Bosnian demining group estimates.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36841828?ocid=socialflow_twitter

The good: It's all over the news that sedentary kids are hitting their neighborhood sidewalks, local parks , and even hiking. And liking what they see in the real world.
The bad: It's all over the news that kids are ignoring dangers like cliffs and minefield site warnings, and ignoring decency by attempting this at places like the Holocaust Museum.
The worst: It's all over the news.

I was in Heaton Park a few days ago and saw a lot of people gazing into their mobiles more intensely than usual. I wondered if they were all using those doggy-dodgy dating "apps" - horrid word - to locate partners.

Later, I saw a cluster of kids hanging around the gate doing the same thing. God, I thought, they are starting young - such obvious minors!

Now I have spun around and think the supposed "adults" in the park were just playing the same Pokomon thing as the kids around the gate. :huh:

Back