• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pokémon GO Madness

Several new stories, and more info on some existing ones.

They guy walking through the park at 4am is an idiot.

Looks like the game has also made it massively harder to hide a body!

Syrian%20Pokemon_zpsyxofhgaw.jpg
Oh, for all that's decent, see these children!
(And their artwork and calligraphy is quite good, too.)

I'm working (during term time) in a venerable Uk University. Every friday, the receptionists concoct us a little gazette diffused via email. Here is it what there was today:
Pokemon watch out: Head of communication of Bodleian Libraries is raising awareness about the trading mobile game POKEMON GO who seems to push people closer and closer to libraries and old-fashioned buildings of University of Oxford. I am not sure what individuals are actually seeking/exploring with their smartphones, but it seems that playing this game may cause a bit of disruption, especially when players are battling within the reading rooms.

Now, seeing what is happening in Munich and that ongoing terrorist attack, I'm concerned about the safety of those gamers and of the readers. The world is madder and madder, I just want to go and live with my husband and my books in a small village in the Massif Central in France!

I was in Heaton Park a few days ago and saw a lot of people gazing into their mobiles more intensely than usual. I wondered if they were all using those doggy-dodgy dating "apps" - horrid word - to locate partners.

Later, I saw a cluster of kids hanging around the gate doing the same thing. God, I thought, they are starting young - such obvious minors!

Now I have spun around and think the supposed "adults" in the park were just playing the same Pokomon thing as the kids around the gate. :huh:

It's actually not a great game. Lovely idea to get people out and about but it has a poor tutorial and if you live in a city you are at an advantage over country dwellers.

Would like to see Zombies Run! do something similar.

It's not clear to me if the game involves taking photographs, I guess even if people think you are in the wrong place, it's an opportunity for an unpleasant misunderstanding:

Gamerrant

No the camera is just used to overlay the pokemon onto your location. You don't take pics.

Love how no-one on here is actually playing it. Not a very intrepid bunch we Forteans! :rofl:

My phone is an old banger that won't support these games. Also, I'm an old fart who hates walking.

I wonder if the invention of Shove Ha'penny led to scaremongering about crazed kids ransacking people's homes to steal their ha'pennys, if the invention of Jacks resulted in stories about kids being trampled under passing carriages as they obliviously flung their jacks in the road caught up in a crazed gaming mania and if playing cards's rise in popularity saw hands-wrung over the populace sitting around tables faces pressed up at the small rectangular objects in their hands instead of getting out flâneuring in the fresh air.

Clackers were supposed to put your eye out if they shattered.

I wonder if the invention of Shove Ha'penny led to scaremongering about crazed kids ransacking people's homes to steal their ha'pennys, if the invention of Jacks resulted in stories about kids being trampled under passing carriages as they obliviously flung their jacks in the road caught up in a crazed gaming mania and if playing cards's rise in popularity saw hands-wrung over the populace sitting around tables faces pressed up at the small rectangular objects in their hands instead of getting out flâneuring in the fresh air.
I've just had to sit in a car with my boss's wife to pick up a takeaway meal .. to be fair, I was giggling as well while she was playing Pokémon GO on her attached to her car device then fist bumped her, called her a crazy bastard and asked her not to kill me because she was supposed to be actually watching the road) ...

I'm too busy playing the Iron Maiden game to be bothered with Pokemon.

After spending 3 hours in the car with friends who are obsessed with this game, I have yet to see why it appeals to anybody.

I was busy looking out from Ivinghoe Beacon, whilst they were in the virtual "gym". It made me feel old to be taking in the scenery whilst they were "catching" cartoon beasts.

Woman charged after Pokemon Go players shot at with pellet gun in Newmarket: police

A 29-year-old woman has been charged after police allege she shot a pellet gun at Pokemon Go players from the roof of a building north of Toronto.

York Regional Police said four people were playing the game near Main Street South and Water Street in Newmarket around 10:30 p.m. Saturday when someone opened fire.

Police said witnesses reported a woman was on the roof of a nearby two-storey apartment building with a “handgun-style” pellet gun, and fired at least four shots.

Follow
York Regional Police

✔@YRP

Woman charged after shooting at #PokemonGO players with a pellet gun on Main St Newmarket. http://bit.ly/2aces4A

No one was struck and there were no injuries. Const. Andy Pattenden said two of the Pokemon players were 19 years old.

READ MORE: 29% of Canadian Pokemon Go players say the game is taking over their lives: Ipsos poll

Police said officers arrested a woman at an apartment in the building and seized a pellet gun.

Patricia Champagne, of Newmarket, is charged with assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose. She is due in court Aug. 26.

York police said they’ve received several calls from concerned citizens about groups of people walking around in the region, but that most of them were just playing the popular smartphone game. ...

http://globalnews.ca/news/2846062/w...-shot-at-with-pellet-gun-in-newmarket-police/

Back