• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pokémon Mind Control!

Mama_Kitty

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://www.mt.net/~watcher/pokemonmindcontrol.html

The following is a forward. I don't know about you all, but this "Pokemon" craze gives me the creeps, BIG TIME... Around here, the children seem to be possessed by Pokemon. It's the first thing out of their mouths. I think there is some kind of mind kontrol going on with this. Has anyone seen Pokeman, the movie? I didn't realize that infamous incident in Japan, where
children flipped out from watching a cartoon, was from a Pokemon cartoon. I must say, tho, that I'm having quite a bit of trouble believing "Pokemon meetings" are going on, unbeknownst to parents. What do you think?! Could some kind of covert screening of children be going on with this, to find children open to hypnotic suggestion, or something? Afterall, phone numbers can be traced.
>This summer the eight-year old I wrote about in POKEMON IS MIND
>CONTROL spent two weeks with me. I was camping at an elegant resort in
>my little travel trailer so it was the perfect place, and the perfect
>time, for him to have a real vacation. Since he is “fatherless”, and his
>little half sister had gone, on an airplane, to visit her real father
>for five weeks, the little boy was feeling especially lonely and left
>out. I understood how he felt. His mother is an alcoholic, a
>chain-smoker and on welfare so (do the math) there isn’t much money left
>over for much beyond the barest necessities. His uncle, my son, is also
>an alcoholic and that is the extent of his “relatives” in British
>Columbia. I basically “adopted” him and his sister, and have become
>their “stand-in” (stand-up) grandmother (predators beware). When I say
>my “grandson” the day after his sister left, I firmly decided to see to
>it that he had a super vacation, one that he would place him on equal
>footing with his sister and his friends. It was a super vacation, not
>only for him but for me too. We hiked, boated, went to the beach,
>watched the whales, had campfires, roasted marshmellows, rode our
>bicycles, dined on delicious vegetarian foods and had a wholesome,
>healthy time together with plenty of fresh air and outdoor fun. For
>intellectual stimulation we checked out books on edible plants went on
>nature walks locating and identifying all the edible plants. Every night
>he read stories to me before bed. I had found some old books, Christian
>based, filled with character building stories such as the The Little Boy
>Who Cried Wolf, The Ugly Duckling, Hen and the Bread. There was no
>television available so Pokemon was not much of a topic except for the
>following story he told me after he had been with me for a few days.
>
>Just before he came on vacation with me his school friend had called the
>800 number for Pokemon’s headquarters in Ontario (I think) and indicated
>that he wanted to be “tested”. The appointment was made for six o’clock
>in the evening, on the steps of the local elementary school (in Surrey,
>BC) that was closed for the summer (aka AN ABANDONED BUILDING). The
>friend contacted my “grandson” and another boy and they all showed up at
>the school at the agreed upon time. They “knew” not to tell their parents.
>
>A Pokemon van showed up. The van’s windows were covered over with
>Pokemon posters completely concealing anything inside. My “grandson”
>told me he tried to see in but couldn’t. He told me two men got out and
>introduced themselves. One was 27 years old and the other was 36. They
>were the ones who conducted the “tests”.
>
>Evidently my “grandson” was the big winner. He was given some prizes,
>Pokemon paraphenelia including a poster. He stated that during the
>“testing” one man was whispering constantly into something he thought
>was a walkie talkie. He found out after that he was talking to Professor
>Oaks who was inside the van and only came out when the “test” was over.
>Professor Oaks is a cartoon character in the Pokemon cartoon series.
>Professor Oaks congratulated my “grandson” on his abilities and he was
>the one who presented him with the prizes.
>
>My “grandson” did not tell his mother anything about this. When I asked
>him why, he said he just “knew” he shouldn’t. On further questioning
>about this, he admitted that the men said that parents shouldn’t be told
>because they might interfere.
>
>Needless to say I was alarmed. Men meeting with little boys at 6:00 p.m.
>at an abandoned school? Strange men testing children without their
>parents knowledge or permission? Talking secretly with someone inside a
>van that has its windows covered hiding someone inside while the
>“testing” is going on? TESTING FOR WHAT??? And finally a CHARACTER from
>the cartoon series appearing in “reality” from inside the van? WHAT IS
>GOING ON? This is all wrong. What were these men doing to these
>children? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY “GRANDSON”? It’s obvious that
>something criminal is taking place or the children would not be
>“impressed” with the need to keep it a secret from their parents.
>
>Two days ago I read the following statement in a news item about a child
>swallowing a Pokemon ball:
>
>“Pokemon, or pocket monsters, began in 1996 as a video game in Japan in
>which players collect pet creatures with different powers and ``train''
>them for competitive battles. The game has evolved into toys, trading
>cards and a syndicated TV series that premiered last year in the United
States.
>
>This is exactly what my “grandson” went through but it wasn’t a cartoon
>episode, it was a real event, with real people. It struck me that these
>men are in fact, stalking children, looking for “PETS” to train them for
>some wierd kind of competition. There is something drastically wrong
>about the whole thing.
>
>One only has to read the opening paragraph of this report to understand
>that where there’s BIG MONEY, we have BIG TROUBLE!
>
>``Pokemon: The First Movie'' grossed more than million on
>Wednesday's opening day, cashing in on America's latest kids craze to
>post the biggest midweek release for an animated film, according to box
>office figures issued on Thursday. With ticket sales of nearly .1
>million, the feature film based on the wildly popular ``Pokemon'' TV
>series imported from Japan far surpassed the previous Wednesday opening
>record of .8 million, set by ``Toy Story'' the day before
> Thanksgiving in 1995.
Looks like the South Park guys were really trying to warn us . . .

:rofl: :rofl:

That is quite an amusing tale. My son is really into Pokemon (yes still) and he can tell me some excellant stories involving his characters. Alone he can tell me some fantastic tales, when with his brother they become sagas.

No conspiracy here, just overactive imaginations.

It's The Work Of Fu Manchu I tell You!

I think the thing that's really worrying these sh't for brains, is the fact that 'Pokemon,' and manga in general, are made in Japan and not good ole' homegrown variety children's fare.

Of course!

Like all those nasty old cartoon with teams of superheroes doing `teamwork` rather than `merican style prima donnas!!

Its a teriffic silly sory, Ill pass it onto my anime friends, they will ROFLAO!!

Have you noticed how every big kid's craze has been in fact some kind of dark, sinister brainwashing cult intent on turning children to satanism? Pogs, Tamagotchis, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Harry Potter...

*looks at her avatar* My God, they have me too!

I'm not sure about this whole card business.. but the cartoon was great! :p

Hold on a minute ....

I have young nieces and cousins that all liked pokemon a few years ago and have all moved on to other things. All little kids get into something and any hobby can be fun and rewarding. Parents just need to stay involved. Weren't they saying the same thing about D&D back when we were growing up. You never hear about it now. Sure in any fad or hobby you will have kids take things to far. But those kids would no matter what they were involved in. Parental involvement is the key to everything.

The name gives away the sinister motives:

POKEMON = POCKET MONEY

ie, what the Japanese toy manufacturers want kids to spend on their game cards.

Pokemon's excellet, the video games just get better and better too.

The cartoon (which as any parent who's taken time to watch it with their kids will tell you) is not dificult to understand or confuseing at all, it has a moral and a pro ecological message without getting preachy and it isn't violent eaither.... I've never really understood why some people have such a problem with it. to me it seams an ideal program for kids and whats more they enjoy it too. the reason why theres so much pokemon about (or was sadly the craze is dieing down a bit) is because there are so many different pokemon and so many different ways to play with them (card games, 8 gameboy games, pokemon poket games, pokemon pinball etc etc).

Sorry, Austen, POKEMON=POCKET MONSTER (without the double entendres....notice that all pokemon names mean something, if not in Japanese, in english)

Lord Flasheart, a lot of Japanese productions have a sound moral with no preachiness, that is one of the many reasons for their popularity.

Raya, did you notice all those you named are non `merican productions??

gl5210, your quite right about parental involvement, my mother always took an interest in my things. I know lots of adults who can play pokemon too!

They still say those things about D&D, GL - except they say them about adults because (alas!) the average age of role-players has risen. We are getting a tide of new ones these days, as the first generation teaches their kids to play, so I'm hoping it'll all come out well in the end. I'm going to be playing D&D in the old folk's home, you watch.

One thing that nobody seems to have noticed is, that the woman who's panicking is a perfectly nice sort of woman. She's not sinister, she loves the kid and is willing to go considerably out of her way for him, and she really does seem to be assisting him in a bad situation (although we should bear in mind that she's reporting what she sees, not the objective truth). The problem here is that she can't tell fantasy from reality.

Laughing at, scorning, or reviling her are all unfruitful. People like this are not bad. They're not even stupid, per se. And they have the great virtue that they're willing to get involved and put themselves on the line. If they could only be taught reality-testing skills, they could be powerful forces for good.

Unfortunately, if you get hold of an unreal and pointless crusade, you not only waste your time, you can do a good deal of harm; or you can gradually get sucked into a paranoid dreamworld, not unlike a certain kind of Fortean researcher. There are lots and lots of people like this, and we would all do well to find effective ways of dealing with them; not to mention avoiding becoming them.

I sometimes have success one-on-one. But mostly I don't. And sometimes you think you've made progress and find that you were fooling yourself.

Homo Aves said:
I know lots of adults who can play pokemon too!

such as myself, I'm actully toying with the idea of spending £20 on pokemon channal so I can get Jirachi... my goodness I'm sad :blush:

A Valid point, Peri, but to my mind there is something very fairy story about the tale.

It seems filled with cliches. Like that account I posted in the UL section some time ago, about a supposedley true warning story, to my mind it seemed made up.

(Sadly I can believe the bit about a child being left with such a mother, for I have seen it happen.)

Homo Aves said:
Sorry, Austen, POKEMON=POCKET MONSTER (without the double entendres....notice that all pokemon names mean something, if not in Japanese, in english)

:D I did know that - but the manufactureres are after poket money.

Gotta catch 'em all!

or

Gotta BUY 'em all!

This website from the height of the Pokemon craze has to rank amongst the oddest bits of media-conspiracy I've ever come across.

THE DARK HEART OF POKEMON.

“Pocket Monsters” began as a video game, or trading card game, (I have heard both), and when it expanded into an animated series, the name was shortened to “Pokémon.” Knowing this, set aside the Pokémon connection for a moment, and consider the impression made by someone saying that they have a monster in their pocket. There is culturally inherent sexual innuendo involved in the idea of having, or showing, a 'pocket monster.' It seems the sort of ploy depravity would use trying to seduce a child.

One could try to argue that there is no connection, but the very fact that there is connection enough to argue about should be connection enough to concern any parent or guardian of a young, impressionable mind. It is a curious thing that, within the world of Pokémon, one is either battling to become a "master" or aspiring to be a "breeder." To be a breeder is the noblest goal, according the girl-crazy character Brock. Gotta catch'em all! Gotta catch'em all!

There are certainly aspects of Japanese anime culture which could look unsettlingly sexualised to outsiders, but blaming Pokémon for paedophilia is a bit of a stretch. There's too much of the real thing in the world to justify making up more.

Re: Was Pokemon a mind-control plot to encourage paedophilia

MadameTrunko said:
One could try to argue that there is no connection, but the very fact that there is connection enough to argue about should be connection enough to concern any parent or guardian of a young, impressionable mind.
(bold added by me)

Good grief, a nice circular argument! There is only an argument to be had because the quoted author introduced the looney tunes idea in the first place.

Looking back over the site, what gets me the most is the lurid circa-2000 web design. Is this the Pokemon version of Time Cube?

MadameTrunko said:
Looking back over the site, what gets me the most is the lurid circa-2000 web design. Is this the Pokemon version of Time Cube?

The web archive date is Feb 2nd 2002.

Back