• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Police Guided To Crashed Car 'By Dead Mother' & Baby Saved

Ermintruder

The greatest risk is to risk nothing at all...
A very strange story. Difficult to maintain objectivity here, but it is vital.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2986597/Toddler-improving-14-hours-upside-car-river.html

Four officers say mystery 'woman's voice' called to them from wreck where they found baby alive beside dead mom, 14 hours after crash

• Lynn Groesbeck, 25, was driving home from her parents' house Friday night when she veered off roadway and into Spanish Fork River
  • Fisherman found the car the next day, partially submerged in the river
  • Groesbeck was found dead in driver's seat of vehicle, while her baby girl was alive in the back seat, above the frigid river waters
  • Police officers said they heard an unknown woman's voice asking softly for help as they approached the overturned car
  • Lily Groesbeck, 18 months old, was flown to Primary Children's Hospital, where she was in stable condition and is improving
All exceptionally strange. And what a apparently-horrific experience for the baby.

rynner2 said:
"The plain news story about the babe's survival was posted on Lucky Escapes:
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/lucky-escapes.53740/page-3#post-1491924 "
Here's a curiosity, closer to home.

I did a standard 'due diligence' forum search, prior to posting my thread, using the unambiguous term "Groesbeck" (the mother's name). I can prove this to myself, as the name remains known to/auto-fills in the search box, and it shows-up in my browser history.

But previously it could not find any posts/threads containing "Groesbeck" on the FTMB. Now it can....

So I'm presuming 'forum search engine critical mass point', rather than any superventionist woo woo, but, it's markedly odd. Because surely a search, to avoid duplication of threads, should've raised a hit.

This story about four police officers hearing a woman's voice still raises goosebumps for me.
Their expectations, on finding a crashed car, would probably have assumed a young male driver, if US crash statistics are anything like UK ones. (As the child was reported as being unconscious, they can't have heard her.)

This story is going to stick in my mind all day, if not longer...

Could it have been a malfunctioning alarm going off? Maybe the water had killed it and it was just beeping intermittently. Like the noise some cars make if you open the door with the lights still on. And if the sound source was underwater it would be even more distorted.

Could it have been a malfunctioning alarm going off? Maybe the water had killed it and it was just beeping intermittently. Like the noise some cars make if you open the door with the lights still on. And if the sound source was underwater it would be even more distorted.
After 14 hours underwater, surely all the batteries and electronics would have shorted out before the police arrived?

...Or a mobile phone going off?

Here's a curiosity, closer to home.

I did a standard 'due diligence' forum search, prior to posting my thread, using the unambiguous term "Groesbeck" (the mother's name). I can prove this to myself, as the name remains known to/auto-fills in the search box, and it shows-up in my browser history.

But previously it could not find any posts/threads containing "Groesbeck" on the FTMB. Now it can....

So I'm presuming 'forum search engine critical mass point', rather than any superventionist woo woo, but, it's markedly odd. Because surely a search, to avoid duplication of threads, should've raised a hit.
Off-topic, but maybe this has something to do with the FTMB's indexing engine? A script usually runs the search index automatically at the same time every day (or every week, hour, etc). Perhaps when you tried it earlier, it hadn't yet indexed the earlier posts containing "Groesbeck"?

There is something really wrong with the indexing database, I don't understand the vagaries of it.

I read about this on another forum where people were suggesting the police officers heard the baby - her voice would have sounded strange after being stuck in the car for hours apparently. Well, I have a baby son just a little bit younger and he can't even say any words yet never mind shout out a whole sentence in an adult voice!
It's a strange, and surprisingly uplifting story if we just take it at face value and accept maybe the dead mother was able to protect her kid one last time.

Well I suppose one of them could have heard it crying, told his fellow officers "I think I can hear someone crying for help" which in the subsequent excitement became conflated as "He heard someone crying 'help'"

Except the baby was unconscious and probably very hypothermic.

Except the baby was unconscious and probably very hypothermic.

Yes. I saw a video of the rescue on the news tonight, and the baby was clearly unconscious and was given CPR at the scene. The mysterious voice was also mentioned, described as a "clear voice calling for help from the car".
There was also video of the baby since her hospitalization and she seems to be doing very well now.

This story has gathered a lot of attention.

An update on this story a year on.. the press have been apparently covering it (it was mentioned on loose women yesterday) now in February 2016...which confused me as its clearly the same story from March last year.

The revival (no pun intended) of the account seems to be down to the combination of one of the rescuers writing a book and the fact that the full police bodycam recording of the event is now available. At least I don't recall it being shown when the story originally did the rounds.

It's claimed you can hear the voice (presumed by the dead mother) around 2 minutes in. I'd be lying if I claimed I could hear it..but what is clear is the policeman responding to what he can hear. This is interesting as at the time..including on here...there was much speculation as to how accurately recalled the claim of a voice really was.

Anyhow....here it is.
http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/04/is-th...er-hearing-voice-urging-them-to-help-5661622/

It's claimed you can hear the voice (presumed by the dead mother) around 2 minutes in. I'd be lying if I claimed I could hear it.
I definitely hear what sounds like a woman's voice at 1:58-2:00 of the video, right before the policeman says "we're helping, we're coming". In fact it definitely seems as if he is responding to the voice by saying that.

It would be clearer if the policemen's voices were removed, they are significantly louder in the video than what appears to be the voice so turning the sound up to hear that mean the policemen get extremely loud.

This story reminds me of the car crash on a British motorway where the wrecked car was still seen being driven erratically afterwards. After several calls, the police investigated and found the car at the bottom of a ditch.

a
This story reminds me of the car crash on a British motorway where the wrecked car was still seen being driven erratically afterwards. After several calls, the police investigated and found the car at the bottom of a ditch.

That rings a bell or I've heard a variation. Car get spotted driving erratically and crashing through a hedge, eventually police turn up and find the car at the bottom of a ditch, but it's been there years with the skeletal remains of the driver still in the car, (thank god for seatbelts).

I'm not convinced by that, having had my car shorted out (and the battery instantly flattened) by a mere one foot of the stuff on Boxing Day. Water is actually a pretty good conductor (or perhaps its fairer to say its very good at getting to places where it can conduct) which is why you don't operate light switches with wet hands.

This case reminds me of the Eric Tombe case in 1921. The murderer Earnest Dyer shot Tombe in a financial dispute and threw his body down a well. He (the murderer) changed his name to Fitzsimmons and moved from Surrey to Yorkshire. When being arrested for another crime he was accidentally shot dead and his real identity discovered. But the victim's body was not discovered until ten months later after his (living) mother had nightmares which led the police to search the well.

Last edited:
Back