• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts In The Line Of Duty: Police / Policemen / Cops

Finished this in a couple of gulps yesterday. It's not long (unfortunately), but the stories are really rather good, well written, and all (mmm, apart from maybe one) have the immediate ring of real experience.

The book is well organised, being split into sections: Foot Patrol; Mobile Patrol; Incidents Attended etc. I found the Haunted Stations chapter particularly atmospheric - you get a real sense of place, and what it was like to be alone overnight in one of those old Victorian/Edwardian blocks.

Gets a thumbs up from me. It's only around 95 pages long - I'm hoping it'll be an ongoing project for Mr Gilbert.
On that recommendation I have ordered it (proper book though , stuff yer bloody kindle)

Last edited:
This thread has reminded me of a book that's been sitting on my 'Mmm, possibly' Kindle wishlist for a while: Credible Witness: Paranormal Police Stories by Andy Gilbert. As I was off for one of my very rare doctors appointments this morning, knew I'd probably be sitting around for a while, and it's cheap as chips up the Amazon, I thought I'd indulge.

I've only dipped into some of the witness acounts, but so far, this actually looks quite good. Police stories going back to the 1950's, possibly weighted towards the West Midlands by the look of it (maybe that's where the author - a peeler himself - was based).

Like many books of this kind, the stories I've read leave you wishing there was just a little bit more, but are still satisfying, and have the ring of genuine experience about them.

There is a lot of dross in the allegedly true ghost story genre - a fact I'm sure everybody here is already aware of - but this looks like a good one so far.

I was contemplating that book. But I thought by the cover it might be American police and may be more OTT that British coppers.

I was contemplating that book. But I thought by the cover it might be American police and may be more OTT that British coppers.

Well I got the wrong one first. I got the ‘Police Ghost Stories’ which is 99% American cops thinking their guns will help them against ghosts.

I have now got the right one ‘Credible Witness’ now which is much better.

08AA7442-9138-41C8-B0BB-DB3052CA3941.jpeg

A second one.

Well I got the wrong one first. I got the ‘Police Ghost Stories’ which is 99% American cops thinking their guns will help them against ghosts.

I have now got the right one ‘Credible Witness’ now which is much better.
In credible witness 2 there is an off-duty UK police man who thinks a shotgun will save him from phantom footsteps!

Oo-oo-oo! l just remembered a reportedly supernatural incident in which l was involved!

The call came over the radio, IIRC: “Alpha Bravo One Two, please attend No.1 Railway Crossing Cottages. Mrs. Smith of that address reports that the Devil has been dancing in her garden!

The reader may imagine that there was a certain amount of back and forth over the main set radio concerning Mrs. Smith’s ID-ing of her tormentor, but no! The cavorting persecutor was alleged to be none other than His Satanic Majesty himself: Beelzebub, the Prince of the Air!

On arrival, the cottage proved to be just on the edge of Boringtown, within easy walking distance of the High Street shops, and just next to a busy railway line.

The trembling elderly lady pointed out to me the exact spot in her tiny garden where Lucifer had been performing his terpsichorean rites. To my surprise, there was actually physical evidence supporting her claims! Plainly visible in the earth were small cloven hoofprints!

Examining the evidence with the combined skills of (a) the Fortean mind, (b) country blood, and (c) old-fashioned coppering skills, l immediately solved the mystery:

A muntjac had been nibbling her flowers, and had had to raise up on its hind legs to reach some of the more delicious ones.

Or Satan, the Fallen Angel, had chosen for unfathomable reasons to throw some shapes in a daft old biddy’s suburban garden. You be the judge...

maximus otter

Last edited:
Are those creatures common in your neck o' the woods??

Back