"Political Correctness Gone Mad"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Just to wind-up all those that hate the phrase...

Scottish police told to watch their Ps and Qs
Mon 19 January, 2004 16:17

LONDON (Reuters) - Scottish police have been told not to ask people if they are married in case it causes offence to gays, and to refrain from calling elderly people "old."

New directives issued to Lothian and Borders police are included in new guidelines that also instruct officers not to refer to women as "pet", "love" or "dear".

The word "homosexual" should also be avoided because it is derogatory and stems from a 19th century notion that homosexuality was an illness, the guidelines say.

"Embarrassment can also be caused to people by asking them questions which appear to assume a particular sexual orientation, such as "Are you married?"...," according to a booklet, issued after officers were sent on political correctness courses.

Calling people "old" can be offensive as it suggests "worn out" and "of little use", officers were advised. Older or elderly are deemed much more appropriate, while terms such as "old fool" should be avoided by all means.

The police force, which covers around a third of Scotland's population including in the capital Edinburgh, said on Monday it realised that changing language was difficult.

But it denied the booklet was a result of political correctness gone mad.

"We live in very dangerous and sensitive times in terms of language and attitudes," Lothian and Borders Deputy Chief Constable Tom Wood said. "People are very quick to take offence".

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticl...=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=4159729&section=news

A

Anonymous

At any other time in history you would think it was a joke, wouldn't you? Thank god it's only down there. Having seen more detail elsewhere, it sounds like whoever is responsible is a total fuckwit. Half of the 'things to look out' for are actually ULs...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I agree that the police need lessons in tact, as do all agencies who deal with the public.

Problem is, you can't expect some employees to act or speak sensibly through commonsense- they have to have the rules spelled out for them or they don't get it.

At the very least, learning to address and refer to people politely and without insulting them is going to save the police a few punches on the nose.

Example-
'Which people were witnesses, Constable?'
'The cripple, the pouff and the skinhead.'

Yeah, that's gonna get them on your side. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with 'The lady with the wheelchair, the gentleman in the pink jacket and the short-haired gentleman?'

A

Anonymous

Nobody cares. The only people who care are the wankstains who make these stupid rules. Anyone who gets upset by being called 'dear' or 'old' clearly takes themselves far more seriously than they deserve. Wankers like these people should piss off and let the police do their job, ie. protecting those worthless animals who call themselves 'the public' from their own stupidity. It's no wonder the morale of the police, and therefore their effectiveness, is dangerously low. The Political Correctness brigade should do us all a favour and roll over and die.

A

Anonymous

Isn't this just another of those irresponsible newspaper stories where some wanker at the office decides to fuel the fires of homophobia by writing articles like the one above?

Much like the hot cross bun story and the churches off the ordenance survey map stories were used to fuel racist objection?

A

Anonymous

Well, it's all in the delivery. To one type of person, I'm sure that being called "the old guy" is as offensive as a man a couple of stone overweight being called "the fat guy".

The latter is undoubtedly the kind of thing which is going to cause offence and I think it's easier to understand how someone would take exception to the first term if you think about it along those lines.

The fervent anti-PC types are as bad as the fervent PC advocates, if you ask me; it's flying angrily in the face of something which doesn't deserve it. If someone has concoted this to stir up a reaction, they're well aware that there's every possibility they're going to get one.

What's wrong with just saying "that man" or "that woman"? no words wasted, no offence caused.

A

Anonymous

That's not the extent of it. The article doesn't actually list the half of it. It's just a pile of steaming, patronising bullshit. People don't need rules about what they can and cannot say, especially rules going on false information. To take the best example 'nitty gritty'. Slaves? Bollocks. Nothing to do with them. The whole thing is based on the opinions of a bunch of scared weaklings and popularity hunters.
Political Correctness is the last refuge of the terminally meek and pathetic and always has been.

A

Anonymous

Well, what if there are more of them?

Judge: So who is the witness then?
Constable: That man!
Judge: Which man?
Constable: That man!
Judge: Him?
Constable: No, that man! The vertically challenged person.
Judge: Oh, the tall guy.
Constable: No, that's the vertically gifted person, I was referring to the vertically challenged person.
Judge: Ah, that short guy.
Constable: No, the other vertically challenged person. The one that is standing next to the person of african american origin.
Rastafari: Hey man, I'm not from Africa, I`m from Jamaica!
Constable: The person of lesser mobility, who is less equipped follicaly.
Judge: Who?
Constable: The short, balding guy in the wheelchair!
Judge: Well, why didn't you just say that?

A

Anonymous

Tact is often bludgeoned aside by some anti-PC people who will steam in with an adjective that could be construed as offensive but only by a person who could also be seen to being oversensitive. It's possible to be descriptive and tactful.

But maybe my mistake was thinking that people fervently opposed to political correctness are overly confrontational :hmm:

mejane

Justified & Ancient
I've never quite worked out how being described as vertically challenged, as opposed to gifted, is better than being called short :rolleyes:

But (isn't there always a but?), as I understand it, the course is just designed to make people in public roles aware that using the sort of language you use around family and friends isn't always appropriate when dealing with strangers.

Jane.

Tezcatlipoca72

Junior Acolyte
mejane said:
I've never quite worked out how being described as vertically challenged, as opposed to gifted, is better than being called short :rolleyes:
Nobody's ever asked to be called "vertically challenged" instead of "short" (and nobody's ever seriously suggested calling people that). Most of those phrases were made up by anti-P.C. people as a joke.

taras

Least Haunted
Go Lothian and Borders Police!!!! :D I don't care what their guidelines say, as long as they keep up the standard of policing in Edinburgh I am happy.

Compared to Aberdeen, Edinburgh seems to have about 20 times as many police - you even see them during the day, and not parked outside Somerfield while one of them buys their lunch but actually patrolling the streets.

Grampian Police are a shambles. Two of them watched one of my friends being beaten up, and when he ran to them for help, he was told to report it the next morning as they were "too busy".

A

Anonymous

Dinnae fash yersels aboot it.

The sassenachs that wrote the list forgot to include such lowlands dialect terms of endearment/abuse as "hin", "big jessie", "hairy wullie", and "teuchter".

I suppose it would be hopelessly old fashioned to teach people politeness and etiquette for use in social and work situations - which would be a positive set of social skills that people might want to learn, rather than putting people on the defensive by hectoring them in a negative way, using dodgy etymology.

A

Anonymous

taras said:
Grampian Police are a shambles. Two of them watched one of my friends being beaten up, and when he ran to them for help, he was told to report it the next morning as they were "too busy".
They are in a complete mess because of bad leadership and misuse of resources in pointless 'task forces', but frankly that sounds like an exaggeration.

A

Anonymous

not really IJ, we watched a police van watching a couple of lads scraping the other night on sauchiehall street in glasgow. they did absolutly nothing.

plus having to deal with the police most days in my work my own opinion is that it's not the structure of the service that's the problem but the type of people that jobs attracts.

A

Anonymous

What is your work? Drug dealer? Pimp? Social worker?
The fact is that most of them don't care anymore, and why should they? They aren't paid enough and the public- who they are there to look after- just make the job difficult by being unhelpful and abusive.

A

Anonymous

Where's me bludgeon...?

wolfie said:
Tact is often bludgeoned aside by some anti-PC people who will steam in with an adjective that could be construed as offensive but only by a person who could also be seen to being oversensitive. It's possible to be descriptive and tactful.

But maybe my mistake was thinking that people fervently opposed to political correctness are overly confrontational :hmm:
The problem with PC is that it's what I (after a decade in UK industry) usually refer to as a 'middle-management solution': it tackles the symptoms of a given problem, but completely fails to address the underlying causes.

Furthermore, it smacks of 'magical thinking'. The principle seems to be that if you make the language which people use to express themselves neutral and unobjectionable, then the underlying attitudes will also become neutral and unobjectionable. What a crock. And what a hindrance to genuine forward movement on countering the underlying attitudes!

As for 'overly confrontational': the only definition of that I'd accept as valid is if some bugger's going around beating people up at the slightest provocation, real or imagined.

So long as violence doesn't ensue, no confrontation with something perceived as 'wrong' can be described as excessive. Tact is, whenever I've run across it (usually briefly, while bludgeoning it aside), someone selfishly putting their own peace of mind ahead of someone else's need to know exactly what's going on, or what people are really thinking. (Same as the little white lie.) Tact is bad. Mostly.

Confrontation is good. Mostly. Blunt facts/opinions bluntly expressed tell everyone exactly where they stand. (And who to avoid standing next to because they're a racist homphobic misogynistic git.)

Down with PC language! :D

A

Anonymous

'Tact' is what you use when you are scared or are trying to trick someone. Never trust a tactful person. Cowards and liars are equally dangerous, and more so than usual when combined in one body.

A

Anonymous

Inverurie Jones said:
They are in a complete mess because of bad leadership and misuse of resources in pointless 'task forces', but frankly that sounds like an exaggeration.
Sorry IJ but it's not.

I was threatend with a knife in a public place by a man who'd already atacked a man for wearing a red ribon on his jacket. I had witnesses, I gave a detalied description but I was told it wouldn't be taken any further.

To add insult to injury when i reported it I was asked for my 'Real' name (the fack that I can report a crime using my assumed name dosn't meen anything to them.)

If they're made to face up to how their language effects people then good. I don't have the figures to hand but something like 3/4 of homophobic or transphobic atacks are never reported to the police. The police don't protect me or others like me.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Re: Where's me bludgeon...?

Zygon said:
The problem with PC is that it's what I (after a decade in UK industry) usually refer to as a 'middle-management solution': it tackles the symptoms of a given problem, but completely fails to address the underlying causes.
That is very well put Zygon!

I have to disagree slightly with no confrontation being excessive (bar violence). IMO on this board for example, people often write things they probably wouldn't say to someones face for fear of being decked. This is just a form of bullying I reckon. But I digress.

A

Anonymous

Conversely, sometimes you have to write nasty things to people because you're too far away to hit them...

A

Anonymous

The Virgin Queen said:
If they're made to face up to how their language effects people then good. I don't have the figures to hand but something like 3/4 of homophobic or transphobic atacks are never reported to the police. The police don't protect me or others like me.
Don't understand how most people think, do you? This just makes most people angry at whichever group is supposed to 'helped' by it and at the people at the top who impose these stupid rules. Why should anyone be told what they can and can't say? Make working conditions better for the police and they'll do their jobs better. If you mess them around with shit like this and they'll just stop working.

A

Anonymous

Inverurie Jones said:
Don't understand how most people think, do you? This just makes most people angry at whichever group is supposed to 'helped' by it and at the people at the top who impose these stupid rules. Why should anyone be told what they can and can't say? Make working conditions better for the police and they'll do their jobs better. If you mess them around with shit like this and they'll just stop working.
and don't you get it IJ? I now will not use the police bacause they have discriminated against me twice now when I reported a personal atack.

I'm not the only one either.

The police don't work for large sectors of the comunity. If they refuse to act on a report and activly discrimanate against people making said report then how can they be said to work?

Wake up and realise the world isn't as you thought it was IJ. :hmph:

Status
Not open for further replies.