Political Correctness Rides Again

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
This is the continuation thread dealing with the peculiar topic of Political Correctness (the original thread, Political Correctness Gone Mad, can be found here.)

With the new thread comes the reminder that this thread is to highlight excesses of sensitivity, absurd reactions to non-existent issues, people campaigning for the right to self-identify as a gender-fluid dolphin of colour, etc. It's NOT about how political parties or individual politicians react to / enforce / oppress these behaviours. If a council decides to ban sunshine in its borough as it's prejudiced against vampires then by all means highlight that, but there's no need to say "obviously it's a Labour council.." or "What do you expect from Rees-Mogg, he also said.." Clearly, if Mr Rees-Mogg abruptly identifies as a gender-fluid dolphin of colour vampire, then it'll be more than welcome in this thread.

So - stick to the lunatic decisions, self-identifications, etc, please.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Ok. Well how about this story, which I heard on BBC Radio earlier?

NASCAR driver Conor Daly has had his sponsorship withdrawn, because someone reported that his father, ex racing driver Derek Daley, had used a racially insensitive expression 35 years ago.
This was not long after Daley senior had emigrated from Ireland to the USA and the incident occurred well before Conor was born. Derek Daly's crime was, in response to being asked how he was fitting in with life in America, saying that he no longer felt like a "n*gger in a woodpile", meaning the odd man out. I have no idea whether that expression was in common parlance in 1980 Dublin, but surely Daly snr's apology should have sufficed and his son should not be punished for sins of the father?

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sport...ad-america-racial-slur-derek-daly/1089166002/

Vardoger

Bring the Beat Back!

NASCAR driver Conor Daly has had his sponsorship withdrawn, because someone reported that his father, ex racing driver Derek Daley, had used a racially insensitive expression 35 years ago.
This was not long after Daley senior had emigrated from Ireland to the USA and the incident occurred well before Conor was born. Derek Daly's crime was, in response to being asked how he was fitting in with life in America, saying that he no longer felt like a "n*gger in a woodpile", meaning the odd man out. I have no idea whether that expression was in common parlance in 1980 Dublin, but surely Daly snr's apology should have sufficed and his son should not be punished for sins of the father?

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sport...ad-america-racial-slur-derek-daly/1089166002/
Inherited sin?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Wow. If true, that is batshit insane. :loopy:
What person would think it was reasonable to punish a man because of a throw-away comment his father made before he was even born?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Eli Lilly's overall net income dropped into the 'red' (i.e., loss) in 2017. This was a notable drop from previous years' results.

This strange move might represent the company seizing on any excuse to withdraw from sponsorship just to save money.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Eli Lilly's overall net income dropped into the 'red' (i.e., loss) in 2017. This was a notable drop from previous years' results.

This strange move might represent the company seizing on any excuse to withdraw from sponsorship just to save money.
Sports sponsorship is probably a bad way of getting PR and advertising (these days).

It certainly wasn't a term in common usage in Dublin in 1980. I don't believe I've ever heard the term used.

It's outrageous though that his son is being punished for it.

Daley may well have just used the term once and does no appear to be a racist:

Willy T. Ribbs, a retired African-American race driver who competed against Daly in the 1980s, said Thursday in an unsolicited email to IBJ that he has been friends with Daly for 41 years and gave him his support.

Ribbs, the first African-American driver to compete in the Indy 500, said he said found racing to be a "very hostile" environment for him at times, but always received help from Daly along the way. Ribbs said Daly was the first driver to befriend him in England in 1977 when he began his racing career in the Formula Ford Series.

Ribbs said he and Daly visited Muhammad Ali together at Ali's home in Los Angeles in 1984. "The champ loved him," Ribbs said.

Daly also helped Ribbs get his first IndyCar deal with Raynor Racing in 1990 and attended his wedding earlier this year.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/70230-...ng-slur-but-not-in-the-way-lamey-described-it

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
It certainly wasn't a term in common usage in Dublin in 1980. I don't believe I've ever heard the term used.
I've read and listened to a lot of interviews with old soldiers and 'nigger in the woodpile' was a common expression across a long swathe of the twentieth century (at least 20s+); in fact, it cropped up in one recording I recently heard with a former officer and colonial policeman that was recorded in the 80s-90s in the context of a well-known local difficulty that nobody wanted to admit to London. The chap in question was a garrulous and amusing old man, and he followed it up by saying, 'Oh, probably should say things like that any more.' and then moved on.

It's silly to get unduly exercised about the language of yesteryear. I guarantee that multiple words and phrases that have been posted across this board by even the most sensitive among us will be judged inappropriate in twenty or thirty years. And they won't be ones that you could possibly guess now, because the context of utterance will change so greatly in the intervening years.

Sports sponsorship is advertising and advertising men are liars.

It looks as if they're spinning their financial decision to me.

Likely nothing to see here.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
It's silly to get unduly exercised about the language of yesteryear. I guarantee that multiple words and phrases that have been posted across this board by even the most sensitive among us will be judged inappropriate in twenty or thirty years. And they won't be ones that you could possibly guess now, because the context of utterance will change so greatly in the intervening years.
Nonsense! When we hear such terms applied we must seize on the opportunity to shriek from deep in our guts, and beat our chests, froth at the mouth, bang out heads against the wall and floor, stamp our feet, rend our garments, and most importantly launch a tirade on social media to prove our undying allegiance to the thought police. Clear and accurate reporting of past events can no longer be tolerated and must be silenced and expunged.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
"...the notion that a penis is exclusively a male body part and a vulva is exclusively a female body part is inaccurate. By using the word “parts” to talk about genitals and using medical terms for anatomy without attaching a gender to it, we become much more able to effectively discuss safe sex in a way that’s clear and inclusive.

For the purposes of this guide, we’ll refer to the vagina as the “front hole” instead of solely using the medical term “vagina.” This is gender-inclusive language that’s considerate of the fact that some trans people don’t identify with the labels the medical community attaches to their genitals.

For example, some trans and nonbinary-identified people assigned female at birth may enjoy being the receptor of penetrative sex, but experience gender dysphoria when that part of their body is referred to using a word that society and professional communities often associate with femaleness."

https://web.archive.org/web/20180802010953/healthline.com/health/lgbtqia-safe-sex-guide

maximus otter

PeteS

Seeking refuge
I had to snort a bit when one TV channel recently warned viewers about "out of date language" before a 50's film about the RAF officer Gibson was shown. The reason of course was that he called his black labrador Nigger and he mentioned the dog's name several times. A friend suggested that the channel might have thought that black labradors might be offended....

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I had to snort a bit when one TV channel recently warned viewers about "out of date language" before a 50's film about the RAF officer Gibson was shown. The reason of course was that he called his black labrador Nigger and he mentioned the dog's name several times. A friend suggested that the channel might have thought that black labradors might be offended....
The Dam Busters' dog will be renamed for a new version of the classic war movie, it has emerged.

Stephen Fry, who is writing the film's screenplay, said there was "no question in America that you could ever have a dog called the N-word".

In the remake, the dog will be called "Digger" instead of "Nigger".

The black Labrador was the mascot for RAF 617 Squadron, which during World War II destroyed dams in Germany with Barnes Wallis's famous bouncing bomb.

Fry told BBC Radio 5 live: "The name of the dog was a code word to show that the dam had been successfully breached.

"In the film, you're constantly hearing 'N-word, N-word, N-word, hurray' and Barnes Wallis is punching the air. But obviously that's not going to happen now."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-13727908

"I can't see it being a problem" said Whoopi Goldberg, who is to play Guy Gibson.

maximus otter

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Shouldn't that be "labradors of colour"?

Cochise

Justified & Ancient

Can confirm - phrase still in use in Britain in 1980's. One of my colleagues used it not infrequently when finally tracking down a bug in the code. No-one thought it inappropriate at the time. It changed by the 90's.

And on the Black Lab issue, there must have been hundreds of Black Labs called N****r in the 50's and 60's. A lady three doors up the road from where I grew up had one.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
It wouldn’t be a proper british summer without a bit of Punch bashing...

Punch and Judy man hits out at 'PC censorship' of his craft

For more than 40 years Brian Llewellyn has prided himself on making generations of north east children laugh with his traditional Punch and Judy show.

So when he was booked for a school summer fete parents and children alike looked forward to an afternoon of riotous fun, with Punch bashing Judy and running amok before being locked up by the police constable, his long standing foe.

That was until the school asked him to drop central elements of his act over fears they “perpetuate prejudicial stereotypes” and encourage “inappropriate behaviour”, including domestic violence.

Mr Llewellyn refused and the show was promptly cancelled - in a move he has now condemned as “politically correct censorship”.

It is the latest in what the children's entertainer describes as attempts by “po faced busybodies” to take the joy out of life.

He was also forced to drop the Punch and Judy element of his show from an Armed Forces Day event in Redcar after concerns were raised over its depiction of violence against women and he has previously received complaints about a puppet which depicts a Minstrel figure.

“If people can’t laugh at a bit of wood on the end of a stick then we’re really in trouble,” Mr Llewellyn said. “And often its do-gooding busybodies who complain without having ever seen the show.”

Mr Llewellyn and his wife Marilyn had originally been booked to perform at the school fete in Middlesbrough last week, one of hundreds of performances they stage for children every year.

But the children’s entertainer was told by the school - which he has chosen not to name - that he could not show Punch hitting Judy and was asked to refer to the character of the constable as a police officer not a policeman.
Article continues...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/17/punch-judy-man-hits-pc-censorship-craft/

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
It wouldn’t be a proper british summer without a bit of Punch bashing...

Article continues...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/17/punch-judy-man-hits-pc-censorship-craft/
Political correctness against Punch and Judy shows has been going on for a few decades now, I'm friendly with our local Punch and Judy man, he lives just round the corner and I've helped him put up his tent before on the pier because he's knocking on a bit now. He's hinted about me taking over from him one day but to be honest the whole child protection paranoia vibe these days puts me off learning his craft.

The last time I helped him, he asked me to watch his tent while he went to the gents, loads of little kids came up to me asking to look inside the tent .. I felt I had to tell them yes but Mum or Dad had to go in with them .. health and safety, child protection etc etc, that's just the world we live in now.

(that bloke hovering in the camouflage coat is nice enough, he lives on our street but he's one of those people who has to talk to everyone who walks past him so you have to try and escape without hurting his feelings when you're in a hurry .. nice bloke though)

Last edited:

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
The last time I helped him, he asked me to watch his tent while he went to the gents, loads of little kids came up to me asking to look inside the tent .. I felt I had to tell them yes but Mum or Dad had to go in with them .. health and safety, child protection etc etc, that's just the world we live in now.
It is funny that what was ostensibly a puppet based morality tale about the evils of domestic violence is now considered too violent for children. Today's snowflake-attachment-hover-parents seem to be in denial about what little ghouls children are. I dread the inevitable social reaction when the children realize they have been lied to and demand their freedom.

Swifty

It is funny that what was ostensibly a puppet based morality tale about the evils of domestic violence is now considered too violent for children. Today's snowflake-attachment-hover-parents seem to be in denial about what little ghouls children are. I dread the inevitable social reaction when the children realize they have been lied to and demand their freedom.
.. I wouldn't mind learning how to make balloon animals if he wouldn't mind teaching me though :)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
The Dam Busters' dog will be renamed for a new version of the classic war movie, it has emerged.

Stephen Fry, who is writing the film's screenplay, said there was "no question in America that you could ever have a dog called the N-word".

In the remake, the dog will be called "Digger" instead of "Nigger".

The black Labrador was the mascot for RAF 617 Squadron, which during World War II destroyed dams in Germany with Barnes Wallis's famous bouncing bomb.

Fry told BBC Radio 5 live: "The name of the dog was a code word to show that the dam had been successfully breached.

"In the film, you're constantly hearing 'N-word, N-word, N-word, hurray' and Barnes Wallis is punching the air. But obviously that's not going to happen now."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-13727908

"I can't see it being a problem" said Whoopi Goldberg, who is to play Guy Gibson.

maximus otter
We discussed this seven years ago on the previous thread.
And the film's still not out!

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I quite like the idea of a futurestate police raid on an underground puppet show where the un pc thought criminals scatter into the rainy streets while The Professor is led away to face justice for his crimes.

amyasleigh

Abominable Snowman
Can confirm - phrase still in use in Britain in 1980's. One of my colleagues used it not infrequently when finally tracking down a bug in the code. No-one thought it inappropriate at the time. It changed by the 90's.
I've been given to understand that the "n****r in the woodpile" expression -- signifying something, potentially disruptive, lurking in a place where it doesn't belong -- originated with the "Underground Railroad" movement in the pre-Civil War USA, which helped fugitive slaves to get to safety in Canada. If you were giving temporary shelter to such a person, the middle of your home's woodpile was a good place in which to conceal them. An uncle of mine who had a weakness for rather laboured wordplay, enjoyed "sanitising" the phrase as "a coloured gentleman in the fuel supply".

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
If you were giving temporary shelter to such a person, the middle of your home's woodpile was a good place in which to conceal them. An uncle of mine who had a weakness for rather laboured wordplay, enjoyed "sanitising" the phrase as "a coloured gentleman in the fuel supply".
Searching around online turns up erroneous stuff about it being analogous to (variously) a needle in a haystack or a skeleton in the closet, but you're correct: it's either something suspicious/fishy or something you don't want others to discover. Needle in a haystack is about the unlikelihood of discovery while skeleton in the closet is about your personal history.

I propose The papist in your priesthole or something.

The microwave-meal in the kitchen (at a dinner party).

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
We discussed this seven years ago on the previous thread.
And the film's still not out!
To be fair, Peter "Lord of the Rings" Jackson has been busy with other projects. I bet you didn't know that he was behind Wingnut Wings, manufacturers of critically-acclaimed 1:32 plastic model kits of WW1 aircraft.

maximus otter

Swifty

:freak:

I hope you mean "a gentleman of colour", you waaaaaaaycist!

;)

maximus otter
When me and my Sister were little and we asked where Dad was, he'd say "She's run off with a black man." .. he changed that not long after to "She's run off with the coal man" .. I expect someone had told him off for racism? ..

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
To be fair, Peter "Lord of the Rings" Jackson has been busy with other projects. I bet you didn't know that he was behind Wingnut Wings, manufacturers of critically-acclaimed 1:32 plastic model kits of WW1 aircraft.

maximus otter
I was looking at them recently. Really good quality, but also quite expensive.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I've been given to understand that the "n****r in the woodpile" expression -- signifying something, potentially disruptive, lurking in a place where it doesn't belong -- originated with the "Underground Railroad" movement in the pre-Civil War USA, which helped fugitive slaves to get to safety in Canada. If you were giving temporary shelter to such a person, the middle of your home's woodpile was a good place in which to conceal them. An uncle of mine who had a weakness for rather laboured wordplay, enjoyed "sanitising" the phrase as "a coloured gentleman in the fuel supply".
W.C. Fields bowdlerised the phrase as "An Ethiopian in the fuel supply" in one of his 1930s comedies.