Political Correctness Rides Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
The belief that humans are divided into different races is anachronistic, unscientific and racist (by default).

When I said "one race" I was referring to the "human race", which is the same as your "one species".
Speaking with my biologist's scientifically-pedantic old hat on, you're correct.

'Race' is a name some people give to visible variations in the human species. There are no firm dermarcation lines or genetic barriers. We are indeed one species (or rather a subspecies formed from several homo species).

Someone may have a majority of genes from (for example) a European area but there's always a few bits carried in and over from central Asia or Australasia or anywhere, really.

What a lot of people call 'race' is really 'culture' - the behaviour, beliefs, habits and characteristics of a group of people from another part of the world.

I can't bloody work out why everyone else just can't 'see' this? It's not a PC thing, never should be, it's simply biological fact. We are one species.

Ogdred Weary

Sooner than expected.
Speaking with my biologist's scientifically-pedantic old hat on, you're correct.

'Race' is a name some people give to visible variations in the human species. There are no firm dermarcation lines or genetic barriers. We are indeed one species (or rather a subspecies formed from several homo species).

Someone may have a majority of genes from (for example) a European area but there's always a few bits carried in and over from central Asia or Australasia or anywhere, really.

What a lot of people call 'race' is really 'culture' - the behaviour, beliefs, habits and characteristics of a group of people from another part of the world.

I can't bloody work out why everyone else just can't 'see' this? It's not a PC thing, never should be, it's simply biological fact. We are one species.
I don't necessarily disagree with any of what you've said but most people "see" race whether it exists or not. Telling that to someone who has to endure being called "nigger" or suchlike on daily basis, isn't going to very comforting, likewise it is not going to deter or persuade people who hold racist views.

That's the point I am trying to make - that racism exists although race does not :)
Some people seem to find this very, very simple idea a really hard concept to grasp - and I have found myself at the wrong end of the second rate sixth form debatee argument: 'Well - if you believe someone is racist, then you must believe in race, so you must be racist too.'

'Bollocks' would probably be the most apt response. (I believe that some people believe in witchcraft - doesn't mean I boil frogs on the offchance it'll make my neighbour's dick fall off!)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Thinking aloud again.

Few people--even among the most virulently racist--genuinely care about skin pigmentation, it's more that the skin pigmentation (and other 'racial traits') are seen as an indications of a difference in culture, and it's the otherness of cultures that racists truly hate/fear. In fact, it's more specific that that.

Such a loathing of other colours might be opaque and sublimated, which can lead to an innate revulsion that is hard for the racist to account for, but far more often racists will talk about colour when they really fear the possibility that a different physical appearance might betoken a different way of acting or (worse because it's hidden) thinking. It's not even necessarily that the difference in thought and action might be antithetical to one's own, it's that you can't know whether the person you are looking at might act or think differently to yourself. By analogy, one doesn't fear the dark because it conceals a threat, one fears the dark because one does not know whether it conceals a threat--or what the nature of any threat might be. It's the unresolved possibility that unsettles.

We are a chiefly visual species, but I think it's fair to say that different accents and languages can also evoke the same xenophobic reactions.

Not sure about smells and tastes, but from my own experimentation I can report that one race feels fairly similar to another once the lights go out.

Jayceedove

Devoted Cultist
I have repeatedly made clear on this forum that my criticisms only relate to the hipsters and not transsexuals.

imho I have answered your questions.

We'd better leave it at that.

As (I think) the only TS (Transsexual) columnist for FT I can confirm that. And the differentiation. Transgender activism has a lot of TS really frustrated and feeling their lives are being appropriated by this ideology, Much as has been the lives of women and of intersex people.

A lot of complicated but different things are going on and the rather broadly sweeping term transgender does not help.

In 2004 doctors told the govt when passing the Gender Recognition Act that about 5000 transsexuals would qualify in the UK based on stable statistics over the past 50 years. About 75% are TS women and 25% TS Men. About 80% have GRS.

As of last autumn 4910 are registered and have altered birth certificates (which require medical support) - just over 3000 are TS women.

However, about 500,000 transgender of the wider variety want all the qualification requirements removed and no medical support necessary to alter birth certificates.

This is the source of all the arguments out there over self ID.

Lets not forget that those on the other end of the spectrum are just as crazed as any PCers.

Alabama Public Television (APT) has refused to broadcast a cartoon which shows a same-sex wedding.

The first episode of the 22nd series of children's programme Arthur features the character Mr Ratburn marrying his partner, Patrick.

But APT instead ran an old episode, and announced it had no plans to show the premiere.

Substitute teacher Misty Souder told news website AL.com that she and her daughter were disappointed the episode did not run and had contacted the network about it.

"I never thought I'd be going to battle for a gay rat wedding, but here we are," she said.

APT previously refused to broadcast a 2005 episode of the series which depicted Buster, a rabbit, visiting a girl who had two mothers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48350023?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Then they came for the scientists ...

Self-censorship on Campus Is Bad for Science
Amid heightened tensions on college campuses, well-established scientific ideas are suddenly meeting with stiff political resistance.
7:59 AM ET
Luana Maroja
Professor of biology at Williams College

I have taught evolution and genetics at Williams College for about a decade. For most of that time, the only complaints I got from students were about grades. But that all changed after Donald Trump’s election as president. At that moment, political tensions were running high on our campus. And well-established scientific ideas that I’d been teaching for years suddenly met with stiff ideological resistance.

The trouble began when we discussed the notion of heritability as it applies to human intelligence. (Heritability is the degree to which offspring genetically resemble their parents; the concept can apply not only to physical traits, but also to behavioral ones.) In a classroom discussion, I noted that researchers have measured a large average difference in IQ between the inhabitants of the United States and those of my home country, Brazil. I challenged the supposed intelligence differential between Americans and Brazilians. I asked students to think about the limitations of the data, which do not control for environmental differences, and explained that the raw numbers say nothing about whether observed differences are indeed “inborn”—that is, genetic. ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/self-censorship-campus-bad-science/589969/

Jayceedove

Devoted Cultist
Shows how times have changed. In the early 70s I had to give up an offer to study astrophysics at Edinburgh because I had started transition. I was not allowed to continue training to be a primary school teacher or to accept a job as a radiologist because I was transsexual and the education authorities could not handle that. I also had to quit being a qualified football referee because women were then not allowed to referee.

So I ended up having to work for myself as a writer and inflict that onto the world instead.

These days I would probably be fast tracked into all those things or likely be asked to become Minister for Transgender Nonsense at the Department of Made Up ideas.

Which was better? 50 years ago or now?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Shows how times have changed. In the early 70s I had to give up an offer to study astrophysics at Edinburgh because I had started transition. I was not allowed to continue training to be a primary school teacher or to accept a job as a radiologist because I was transsexual and the education authorities could not handle that. I also had to quit being a qualified football referee because women were then not allowed to referee.

So I ended up having to work for myself as a writer and inflict that onto the world instead.

These days I would probably be fast tracked into all those things or likely be asked to become Minister for Transgender Nonsense at the Department of Made Up ideas.

It's a really good thing that trans people are now being supported, but positive discrimination never works out well.
There has to be some kind of balance. Maybe things will settle down after the application of common sense.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
To be honest, I am glad you got pushed into being a writer you are a darn good at it, reading your MIB book at the moment, we would have missed out on your insight and that would have been a great shame*.

I just wish people would just be who they want to be, and people just accept it, and live their lives peacefully, but they seem to want their fifteen minutes of fame.

*That was a tad selfish of me

brownmane

Abominable Snowman

It's a shame what has occurred in the past. We continue to evolve, and I always hope it's for the better.

To come to a place where all people can be accepted for themselves and be recognized for their abilities and talents would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.